What Are You Playing?

Never played dishonored and am about half way through. Not my style but enjoying it anyhow. I'm hours into Resident Evil 7 and want some who may be excited to understand something. In no way shape or form does this feel like capcom intended this to be RE. The same way Nintendo intended super Mario 2. Could change, but I feel like this could be any franchise so far. This has nothing to do with them switching the play style. May or may not sway your enjoyment and thought it be good for you to know. Could also change by the end of the game. Just my first impression.

Want to add that this has a very Texas chainsaw/House of 1000 corpses vibe. Often times for myself come off cheesy and not frightening at all. Intense, no doubt, yet very linear.

Ugh. That's what I was afraid of. I was hoping that Texas Chainsaw-ness wouldn't appear in the game like it did in the demo.

I took the risk, and went ahead and pre-ordered the game. It arrived today, but I probably won't touch it until this weekend.

Skeleton, Evil dead really seethes through the frame work of the game vs. something biohazard. As I said before this could change, but I would be surprised if that ended up being outside of brief lore thrown in. I feel a little distracted by all this, so I may put it down a day to unnerve that old feel I was expecting to some degree.

Ruhe Strom

'Moon Pie... what a time to be alive."
Guilty Gear Xrd was on sale on PSN the other day, so I bought it since one of you recommended Arc Systems games. I looked into BlazBlue as a more casual option, but the character designs are such a miasma of banality, I took the complexity and vastly greater visual appeal of GG. This proved a solid decision as the game is great fun and very reasonable for a newcomer to pick up, also being much easier to play with a controller than any other fighting game I've played, bar Smash Bros.

A damn fine soundtrack too, I might add.

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
Got to play the For Honor beta this weekend a little bit. It was a lot of fun, but honestly, I couldn't see myself spending full price on it. I don't know how robust the single player story is, but I get the feeling the game was entirely designed around the multiplayer aspect, and if that's the case, there was nothing particularly amazing about the game. It certainly didn't draw me in. There was never that "Ok, just one more game" feeling.

This could be in part because of connectivity issues though. Out of the entire weekend, I only got two chances to play several games back-to-back. I think most of my time was spent wondering why my NAT type in-game was Strict while my PS4 kept telling me it was Moderate. I think I sat in lobbies waiting for my NAT type to randomly switch over to Type 2 more than actually playing the game. Seems like this was a somewhat common problem among other players, and I probably could have fixed it by port forwarding, but the last time I did that I got yelled at :farnese: (it's kind of a long story). Apparently the game also connects peer to peer, so that might have something else to do with my particular problems.

Maybe once I catch up on my backlog (and if the connection issues get addressed) I'll consider picking the game up, but all things considered, this is a definite pass for me.

Finished Biohazard 7 last night. 7.5 hours on normal. My original opinion still stands. This title is quite disconnected from the rest of the series, although fun. The last few hours felt like a bit of a drag and mediocre from the majority of the game. See what's coming a mile away type of ordeal.

This reboot of a game reminds me very much of the feeling I had with Castlevania: Lords Of Shadow. Something different, much more polished than its predecessors on PlayStation 2. Better? Sure, what isn't better than RE5, 6? Not a masterpiece that will take the series in a direction that will stand the test of time.

I liked RE7, but didn't love it. Perhaps some reviewers overly praising the game didn't help me going in. I'm much more of the opinion that the game is above average, just not amazing. This IS classic RE when it comes to exploring and progression. No doubt about it.

Grabbed this adventure game called Cayne off GOG. And it's been on Steam since late January. The mystifying thing is that it's free on both platforms, no strings attached (no paywalls, no ads, no nothing). It's meant to be some kind of spinoff to STASIS, if that means anything to anyone here. I'm very impressed by the production values in any case, and it definitely looks like it has an intriguing story, though playing it reminded me why I don't like adventure games. But hey, I can't complain.

TheClangingSwordsman

Put your glasses on, kid. Nothing will be wrong.
Delta Phi said:
Got to play the For Honor beta this weekend a little bit. It was a lot of fun, but honestly, I couldn't see myself spending full price on it. I don't know how robust the single player story is, but I get the feeling the game was entirely designed around the multiplayer aspect, and if that's the case, there was nothing particularly amazing about the game. It certainly didn't draw me in. There was never that "Ok, just one more game" feeling.

I've heard the exact same thing said by a close friend of mine. I can't imagine it'll stay at full price for very long if this is the general sentiment.

Been playing a lot of Dark Souls 3 (the Berserk nods are great) and have finally gotten back into Elder Scrolls Online. So far ESO is the only MMO that's captivated me for as long as this one has. I've dabbled from WoW to Eve but ESO makes me want to keep playing. :ubik:

Been playing CS:GO constantly for the past couple of years and just hit 1000 hours. The saddest part of that statement is that I'm still bad and that I have played the least out of my friends.

I'm playing Nioh, and it's a blast. My main concern with the demo was whether or not the game would have a decent story, but so far so good on that front. It's not nearly as disjointed as the demo made it out to be.

They've also reduced the difficulty significantly. The enemies act and attack pretty much the same as they did in the demo, but they decreased the amount of enemies noticeably to make it easier. And you remember that
first boss from the demo? In the demo I had to grind the map for quite a while to have a fair shot at beating him, and even then I needed some good luck and a life or two. But in the final product I didn't grind at all and beat him relatively comfortably on my first try.
So if you're worried about the difficulty, don't be.

Is anyone else playing Nioh? I'm really enjoying it. Its like onimusha/souls. The combat at first seemed very convoluted but the more I play it the better it feels. Flows nicely. It has the speed of bloodborne that's for sure. The duels are super tense and you pay big time for missing a swing or being greedy with your stamina. It does some really cool stuff with the action adventure formula.

Skeleton Lucis, I missed your post! LOL. How do you like it so far? I didn't play the beta, I try to avoid demos.

Nioh is amazing. Team ninja has finally found its footing with this gem. I'm to the second map and this feels like the next positive step to this souls formula. From the combat, to the MASS amount of customization,(minus character creation) I'm really digging everything. The game really does feel like it's own and not a clone. Haven't had this much fun since Ninja Gaiden on Xbox...right out of high school. Speaking of NG, when TN released black, some of the environmental effects changed. In Nioh you revisit levels in sub quests and the same treatment is done. I do not feel like I'm strolling down the same path. The levels are decent sized, but by the end of each feel very inclusive and well thought out. I highly recommend.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
How's the world design in Ni-Oh? That's half of the reason I loved the Souls games so much, and I'm concerned upon looking at screenshots and videos that this looks a little generic by comparison.

Oburi

All praise Grail
GiantSword Mufasa said:
Is anyone else playing Nioh? I'm really enjoying it. Its like onimusha/souls. The combat at first seemed very convoluted but the more I play it the better it feels. Flows nicely. It has the speed of bloodborne that's for sure. The duels are super tense and you pay big time for missing a swing or being greedy with your stamina. It does some really cool stuff with the action adventure formula.

Skeleton Lucis, I missed your post! LOL. How do you like it so far? I didn't play the beta, I try to avoid demos.

I've been craving an Onimusha type game for ever now so this will be my next game, especially now that South Park - The Fractured But Whole has been once again delayed for quite some time :sad:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Walter said:
I absolutely would be playing it if it weren't a PS4 exclusive :judo:

But aren't you also kind of relieved? I know I was when I realized it was one DS clone I wouldn't be compelled to play. Also, if you had a PS4, wouldn't you rather play Bloodborne first?

*shuts up goes back to playing Diablo III* :judo:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
But aren't you also kind of relieved? I know I was when I realized it was one DS clone I wouldn't be compelled to play. Also, if you had a PS4, wouldn't you rather play Bloodborne first?

*shuts up goes back to playing Diablo III* :judo:

Well, everything I've read about it actually says it goes well beyond simply being a DS clone. It's an evolution of that style of game.

I can't say for sure if Nioh will stack up to Dark Souls level design in the end. I'm not far enough in to confidently say. I can tell you I read the level design was repetitive, but right now I'm seeing variety. If you're familiar with the demo there's that, a cliffside that turns into a large cavern, a dusty landscape with underground stoney forgotten treasure trove, a swampy temple area filled with rain that ultimately leads to an abandoned lower temple, a hillside of fescue, and now a mine. Will that rival the variety present in DS? Prob not, but I'm not seeing an issue either. Certainly more variety than bloodborne in that respect. Of all the souls games, bloodborne is only superior to lords of the fallen imo. I just wasn't digging it's simplicity compared to the others. Sort of how I view GTA 4 vs San Andreas and 5. There seemed little innovation vs mechanics.

Literally feels like a ninja gaiden souls mix with a ton of customization. I mean, let's say you have a helmet that's really well suited to your favored attributes, but it looks ridiculous. You can take said helm and change it to look like another in your inventory. On top of that you can upgrade everything, redue the specials for said armor or upgrade in the traditional sense. I'm not too keen on the blacksmithing yet as the loot that drops is reminiscent of borderlands. I'm afraid I'll just find something better in 15 minutes.

Granted this is my experience alone and someone will lend their two cents and probably leave me wondering why I didn't explain it better, however from a few series I've enjoyed through the years, this feels both old and new.

Just completed Shadow Tactics. A lot of fun and a good change of pace for me. Now to decide between moving on to Dishonored 2 or Gravity Rush 2 next.

Nioh has my attention, but I'm going to wait on it. The urge to return to Bloodborne and Salt and Sanctuary is strong, so I don't really need any new Souls-like games for the time being.

Walter said:
How's the world design in Ni-Oh? That's half of the reason I loved the Souls games so much, and I'm concerned upon looking at screenshots and videos that this looks a little generic by comparison.

The Lv design is good, I will say there are some shorter areas, almost like dark souls II, On the plus side of that, there are still lots of thing to explore even in the smaller levels. Some sweet breakable walls in some areas. The thing about the smaller areas is they are still super challenging. The second area is a cave zone filled with huge demons so it's more like "it doesn't matter how big it is it's how you use it" :ganishka: As far as people saying it's a clone of DS, you are only a tiny bit right. It takes basic elements and builds it's own identity. I think at this point it would be impossible to make an action RPG and not compare it to the Souls games.

PS. Aaz if you do get a PS4 bloodborne is a must play for an infinite amount of reasons. The only one you need is, being soaked in the blood of your enemies under the light of a full moon. :guts:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Salem said:
Certainly more variety than bloodborne in that respect. Of all the souls games, bloodborne is only superior to lords of the fallen imo. I just wasn't digging it's simplicity compared to the others.

Well, I'd say you're in the minority since most people rave about that one (but then, they're all PS4 owners, why would they slag one of their most prestigious exclusives? =). I'm guessing I wouldn't mind the simplicity since, though I can get lost in the fun of character and item customization, I'm usually striving to find the best combination anyway and the rest becomes junk or filler I'm just ignoring. The exception is DS2 where I went down the rabbit hole on several different item/build combinations and playstyles because they worked, or didn't, about as well as the others. In DS3 I messed around a little bit but you might as well give in to the (short) sword and board and start rolling, which I'm most suited to anyway. My first viable build, as in I was actually able to compete with the enemies and bosses in Dark Souls, after what felt like literally years of hitting the wall, was a Link build where I basically tried emulating the style of the 3D Zelda games, and it worked! I guess years of prep there finally gave me an edge.

Salem said:
Literally feels like a ninja gaiden souls mix with a ton of customization. I mean, let's say you have a helmet that's really well suited to your favored attributes, but it looks ridiculous. You can take said helm and change it to look like another in your inventory. On top of that you can upgrade everything, redue the specials for said armor or upgrade in the traditional sense. I'm not too keen on the blacksmithing yet as the loot that drops is reminiscent of borderlands. I'm afraid I'll just find something better in 15 minutes.

Sounds like another game I know... :magni:

GiantSword Mufasa said:
I think at this point it would be impossible to make an action RPG and not compare it to the Souls games.

You're probably right, I don't know anything about the game beyond this thread but everyone is comparing it to Dark Souls, even just to clarify it's not exactly like Dark Souls. Koei Tecmo/Sony: "It's like the Souls series in every fun way you might think is a positive, and not like it in any derivative way you might think is negative." :ganishka:

Top Bottom