What Are You Playing?

Ruhe Strom

'Moon Pie... what a time to be alive."
Griffith said:
(but then, they're all PS4 owners, why would they slag one of their most prestigious exclusives? =).

It is our only prestigious exclusive.

But as far as I'm concerned it's a disgrace and an insult that it wasn't released on other platforms for many more people to enjoy.

Ha! But but killzone is a sony exclusive! :ganishka: Uncharted 4 is about all I would rave about outside of Last of Us. I use to have have a 360, bought one at launch. 5 breakdowns later and I'll stick to steam. (And my Xbox that's modded to the teeth) My first Xbox 360 memory is a smoke filled bedroom that stunk of burnt electronics for a week.

Bloodborne is fun, but I do find it dumbed down, even in the build sense. It's worth a play, yet I just can't appreciate it enough. That whole first big exclusive tends to go to people's heads each generation. I'm looking at you Gears Of War 1.

I find the entire Souls concept perfect for my style of gaming. Will take awhile for me to get sick of it, much like Diablo 1/2, Baldurs gate dark alliance, champs of norrath did years ago. God I miss couch co op.

On a side note I find Berserk being single player across the board a huge bummer.

XionHorsey said:
What I should be playing: Final Fantasy 15
What I am playing: Terraria

Feel free to leave FFXV on the back burner for as long as you want. I really liked it, but it's not going to blow your skirt up by any means.

Stopped everything and played the new Berserk game for a few hours. I really like it. Plays pretty well, though I haven't played any of the other Dynasty Warriors games. First impression, I do think the battle style suits Berserk very well for sure. It's surprisingly has a lot of depth to it. The game keeps introducing one game element/feature after another. I stepped into abyss mode and I love it. Reminds me of greater rifts in Diablo 3 with a more 3D camera perspective. Looking forward to playing it more tomorrow.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
My wife was able to get me an NES Classic for Christmas, and my son (now age 4) is obsessed with Mega Man 2. Talks about Mega Man and Bubble Man specifically (wtf) all the damned time. I've played through the whole game alongside him probably 10 times in the last month. At this point he knows the bosses weaknesses ("Dada, what you doing? Metal Man before Wood Man." "B-b-but you see, Wood Man is super easy even with just the-" "Metal Man!"), the best order, the names of all the powers (GET EQUIPPED WITH BUBBLE LEAD!). He knows who Dr. Wily is, and he even does the eyebrow raising thing as a joke. Parenting can be pretty awesome.

Other than that, I've been making my way through Night in the Woods, about 30 min each night. Charming, well-written, story-based game.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Walter said:
My wife was able to get me an NES Classic for Christmas, and my son (now age 4) is obsessed with Mega Man 2. Talks about Mega Man and Bubble Man specifically (wtf) all the damned time. I've played through the whole game alongside him probably 10 times in the last month. At this point he knows the bosses weaknesses ("Dada, what you doing? Metal Man before Wood Man." "B-b-but you see, Wood Man is super easy even with just the-" "Metal Man!"), the best order, the names of all the powers (GET EQUIPPED WITH BUBBLE LEAD!). He knows who Dr. Wily is, and he even does the eyebrow raising thing as a joke. Parenting can be pretty awesome.

:judo:

They're tears of pride and envy. Also, I was always particularly fascinated with Bubble Man, so it's not unprecedented; I think it's the combination of a funny name/look/power and that he's relatively easy to reach starting out that make him apealing to kids. So, is your son aware there's like dozens of these games or are you playing that close to the vest for now? You basically have gifts for life if you play your cards right. =)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
So, is your son aware there's like dozens of these games or are you playing that close to the vest for now? You basically have gifts for life if you play your cards right. =)

I actually loaded all sorts of NES games on it, so we have 1-6. 2 is the best though, and 3 can be frustrating. 4-6... less said the better, I think.

Griffith

3 is sort of the last hurrah for die hards and the last with any involvement by original creator Akira Kitamura (though he quit in pre-production fwiw), 4 was still trying (Mega Buster, multiple boss castles), 5 had some neat ideas (Gravity Man), but 6 was indeed no bueno and quite a whimper to end classic Mega Man on until the glory of 9.

Btw, dad and son Shovel Knight co-op? It'll be possible on steam. =)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
3 is sort of the last hurrah for die hards and the last with any involvement by original creator Akira Kitamura (though he quit in pre-production fwiw), 4 was still trying (Mega Buster, multiple boss castles), 5 had some neat ideas (Gravity Man), but 6 was indeed no bueno and quite a whimper to end classic Mega Man on until the glory of 9.

I like 3 quite a bit, but it's harder (particularly at 7am...). Not quite as breezy as a run through Mega Man 2 on "normal" mode, and he tends to get frustrated when I die and begin to suggest other Mega Man games. Like 1. So I'm HIGHLY MOTIVATED to NOT die. :magni:

Btw, dad and son Shovel Knight co-op? It'll be possible on steam. =)

Shovel Knight is too complex for him. Maybe in a few years :guts:

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
20 hours into Breath of the Wild, and I think I'm finally at the first dungeon. The easiest thing to do in this game is to get sidetracked. Oh wait no. The easiest thing to do is to die.

Finished Dishonored 2 a while ago. I was ready to go another round at it, but indecision on how to go about that hit me hard. Didn't know if I wanted to try a ghost playthrough, a no-kill playthrough, a balls-to-walls kill everyone playthrough, to replay as Emily using different abilities, or to play with Corvo instead. I eventually just said "screw it" and moved on to Gravity Rush 2. That'll give me time to sort things out. As for GR2, it's a bit janky, but I'm having fun with it so far.

Griffith

Walter said:
I like 3 quite a bit, but it's harder (particularly at 7am...). Not quite as breezy as a run through Mega Man 2 on "normal" mode, and he tends to get frustrated when I die and begin to suggest other Mega Man games. Like 1. So I'm HIGHLY MOTIVATED to NOT die. :magni:

Yeah, Mega Man 3 is doesn't mess around, but it ain't got nothing on the original, which is fucking broken.

Shovel Knight is too complex for him. Maybe in a few years :guts:

Awww, I guess that is a bit much.

Johnstantine said:
20 hours into Breath of the Wild, and I think I'm finally at the first dungeon. The easiest thing to do in this game is to get sidetracked. Oh wait no. The easiest thing to do is to die.

Yeah, I'm working my way back across the map (I don't believe in fast travel =), hunting, and even taming, some animals and finding all sorts of interesting landmarks and things to investigate.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Griffith said:
Yeah, I'm working my way back across the map (I don't believe in fast travel =), hunting, and even taming, some animals and finding all sorts of interesting landmarks and things to investigate.

Being a man with 4 children, I never thought I'd be able to have time to do that in a game. Having a Switch has been amazing because I can literally take it anywhere like my 3DS, but with Breath of the Wild=)

Completed Nioh 'Mark of the warrior' NG mode.The game is amazing loved it! Game play is not difficult as Bloodborne/DS but it was fun.

Johnstantine said:

Man what a game, gonna spoiler tag this just in case but I don't plan on giving anything away outside the first 10 minutes.

I felt a little directionless in the beginning as they don't really give you too much direction but I guess it fits the story pretty well as link has lost his memories. Once I got the ball rolling i got completely lost in all the exploring you can do. One of the quests you need to find 12 places in the world to regain some of your memories and all they give you to go off is 12 photos. In trying to locate some of these spots I found so much more than I was looking for, super strong baddies, numerous shrines, and even a giant spirit dragon that led to one of the coolest encounters I've ever seen in Zelda. It is a truly beautiful looking game and it encourages you to explore and look around which gives a much more organic way for the player to enjoy the landscapes (even players who don't normally stop to smell the flowers).

I've taken down ~20 shrines and found one of the divine beasts and it feels like I've barely scratched the surface of this game. It's like a cross between Zelda, Skyrim, and Shadows of the Colossus and I'm enjoying it immensely. I am going to lose a ton of hours to this game I can tell already.

TL:DR; Zelda: BotW is fackin' sweet, go buy it- ...right now.

I played a bit of the splatoon2 testfire earlier today and im just waiting for tonights one to start. in 10 mins. Hoping i can get a good feel for the game before i buy it

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
Finished Dragon Quest V earlier this week and started Dragon Quest VI. Good stuff. :guts:

I bought VII and VIII for 3DS a few months back, but they're really not my thing so far... I'll mail you VII free of charge, if you're interested.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Walter said:
I bought VII and VIII for 3DS a few months back, but they're really not my thing so far... I'll mail you VII free of charge, if you're interested.

PM sent. Thanks, Walter! :serpico:

Persona 4. Finally got to this game recently and absolutely love it.

Trying to finish it before the fifth one comes out but given my experience with the third, this one is probably also a million hours long. A million awesome hours...

I'm trying to hammer through this new DS3 DLC so I can be ready for this Destiny update. Im taking a break on Zelda Botw, Im about 15 hours in and its intense. I really love it but its a little overwhelming. Its always been my problem with open world games. I have open world A.D.D. Im like "hey whats that thing way over there..... hours later... O its just a rock. What was I doing again?"

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
45+ hours into Zelda right now, and I also picked up I am Setsuna for the Switch. A J-RPG supposedly inspired by 90s Square RPGs like Chrono Trigger and the SNES Final Fantasies. So far that influence plays out in the overall "feel" of the game, but also a few of the mechanics — battles transition automatically like in CT, and the first ability your hero gets is "cyclone."

Griffith

GiantSword Mufasa said:
I'm trying to hammer through this new DS3 DLC

I'm going to switch gears from Zelda in order to bask in this. Unfortunately, I stupidly left off in the middle of an NG+ at a point with no opportunity to access the new DLC series finale. So now I'm trying to rush through the old DLC (why the hell did I want to replay it again and/or why didn't I leave off with it finished?) with hilarious consequences. I'm so used to BotW controls now I can't even raise my shield or attack reliably; I keep pushing the wrong buttons, drinking estus with full life or casting unnecessary spells. :ganishka: I don't think I'm going to be owning the Ariandel bosses like I did when I left off a few months ago. I think I'm going to call for help and get out of the way... when I get there. :schierke:

Update: Ok, that wasn't so bad, I hidden bodied/silence ringed my way through to the boss (after some catastrophes almost cost me 300,000 souls :magni:), and had my act together enough to win on the 2nd try with a buddy (sadly, he perished right at the end lol, though I felt bad). Then I got invaded by a guy in Havels that was literally flying around and would take no damage, so I'm assuming there's cheating going on?

Update 2: Hmmm, the fire to warp to The Ringed City still isn't around... is it not live for PC yet? I know the release is technically tomorrow, but I see people playing it in videos and you're talking about it like you're already playing, Mufasa? Is it out for PS4 or something? Or do I have to get to the bloody end again anyway... Here's hoping I can play at midnight.

Update 3: Got in, and... Jesus Christ, this fucking game! :mozgus:

GiantSword Mufasa said:
Im taking a break on Zelda Botw, Im about 15 hours in and its intense. I really love it but its a little overwhelming. Its always been my problem with open world games. I have open world A.D.D. Im like "hey whats that thing way over there..... hours later... O its just a rock. What was I doing again?"

That's why I stopped playing open world games, too much, but ultimately nothing, to do. BotW is different though; more often than not, there's a reason to look under that rock. =)

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen, Horizon Zero Dawn and DLC for Bloodborne "The Old Hunters". Dragon's is yet to be completed for me, Horizon is pretty much explored as a game for me and I will be playing it rather occasionally, DLC for Bloodborne is really hard at New Game + and I have some serious problems, but in the end I will beat it. :D

Top Bottom