What Are You Playing?

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Griffith said:
Alien: Isolation - Because it's probably better than any of the Alien movies released in the last 25 years? I don't know though because I just reached the station; haven't seen any alien(s) yet. Lovely recreation of the original's world though.

Oooh, where you at?

Not very far. I've been leveling up as much as possible right after the fire shrine lol.

Menosgade

Not all those who wander are lost
I've been playing a lot Red Orchestra 2 and Rising Storm 1. Always on Realism mode. RS 2 is out and for a cheap price, it's a good time for newcomers to the series. Also been playing some Dota 2.

Anyone who plays these and wanna team up?

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Johnstantine said:
Not very far. I've been leveling up as much as possible right after the fire shrine lol.

C'mon, git gud and win on SL1, bro. :daiba:

I'm trying to remember my habits in the early part of the game without spoiling anything. I only recall an ignominious combination of creeping around, dying, and that oppressive feeling of being surrounded by insurmountable enemies. Ahhhh, I miss it. =)

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Griffith said:
I'm trying to remember my habits in the early part of the game without spoiling anything. I only recall an ignominious combination of creeping around, dying, and that oppressive feeling of being surrounded by insurmountable enemies. Ahhhh, I miss it. =)

Yes. Being at like 2 hp and running back to the bonfire so you don't lose your souls. It's awful but so exciting.

After re-playing the Mass Effect trilogy, I decided to give Andromeda a go.

The single-player is just so.... meh. Everything just feels half-assed, it's very buggy. The Asari literally all have the same faces. The story itself is very uninspired, and the dialogue is cheesy as fuck. Combat should be superior to the OT, but the level design is so plain and the enemies do nothing aside from sitting in cover, it ruins what should've been an upgrade in gameplay. Shit, you can't even tell your squadmates which power to use anymore! :ganishka:

This game has had 2 big patches already and it still feels rushed. BioWare really let me down this time, this is like Space DA: Inquisition with a UI that's even more dumbed down. :sad:

I guess the only upside to this is that I had some fun playing Andromeda's multiplayer with some friends. I was a fan of 3's multiplayer though, its fun to play as the other races in Mass Effect.

XionHorsey

Hi! Hi!
Finally playing Final Fantasy XV and I am enjoying it quite a bit. Am on chapter 13, but am "replaying" the past for side quests.

I have been playing pokemon moon and DQ8 for the last week.Both on my 3ds. not very far in pokemon tho because Dragon quest is so much more interesting. Because there's a story and an actual goal I'm aware of. As for pokemon i haven't played since diamond and pearl.
I just got the waterium-Z gem so that's about where i'm at.

Griffith

Continuing my Alien-filled week, I'm been playing a lot of Alien: Isolation lately, which seems to truly be the most faithful Alien sequel ever made, including Aliens. It's plot is similarly simple an effective, barring the coincidence that you're Amanda Ripley and somehow ran into an Alien outbreak searching for the Nostromo's flight recorder (I'm hoping the latter explains the former, but fully expect things to go off the rails instead), but the game's real attraction is its environment and the Alien itself, which has been perfectly restored to its 1979 structually perfect organism unclouded by conscience, remorse, or morality form. Admire its purity!

Yjasu_bydyshego_2.jpg

It even has the proper endoskeleton/skull underneth the dome membrane, complete with nose and eye sockets! Giger would be proud. =)​

I don't know if fun is the way to describe it, because you're about as helpless as it gets for a video game. Before you even get to the alien, human survivors will kill you in a single shot from their gun (imagine that) and rogue androids are as hard to kill here as in the movies and will quickly disarm and brualize you into nothing. At least with the alien you know combat simply isn't an option, because it will kill you on sight, and once it starts looking for you it never really stops, and that's where the game starts being more engrossing than frustrating. I was successful at avoiding, distracting and escaping it during the first encounter, but that's a small sampling where you basically go from one side of a room to another knowing exactly where to go and making sure the alien ain't there. Once it was off the leash and it's just you wandering around and the alien looking for you it's paralyzing. It leaves, but it's not really gone, it's just out of range of my radar (and up close it can hear your radar =), and I'm not sure when it's coming back. I spent a lot of time hiding under the bed (literally under an in-game gurney) in the beginning; watching, listening, and trying to deduce when it was really safe and/or work up the nerve to move... and then getting killed. I preferred when it was in the vents because, though it can get the drop on you at any time, at least that gives you some extra time to react versus it coming right around the corner. *shudder*

Anyway, now I've dealt with it and died enough that I just start going and improvise if it gets close, because it will find you, it will kill you, but you get to come back, so you might as well take your best shot. Approaching it that way it's a grind and reduces the fear factor, but not if you let yourself get lost in the atmosphere into because so far pretty interesting as an Alien simulator, and it slowly pulled me in when no game has in a month or two.

Finished my game of Demon's Souls. Learned why the Pure Bladestone can go fuck itself the hard way.

Started up Persona 5 and just finished the first palace. Holy shit I love this game. I kinda wish I could just play it nonstop to the end.

Tabris said:
Finished my game of Demon's Souls. Learned why the Pure Bladestone can go fuck itself the hard way.

Ugh, that made me regret making my first character Dexterity-based. Pissed me off so much, I restarted with a mage.

Griffith

Tabris said:
Salem said:
I farmed that stone for more hours than I care to count. Those :SK: wielding two swords was the quickest option for me.
Cyrus Jong said:
Ugh, that made me regret making my first character Dexterity-based. Pissed me off so much, I restarted with a mage.

I wanna waste time farming and getting pissed off over my broken build; so why is Sony re-releasing Shadow of the Colossus yet again but not Demon's Souls? :judo:

Griffith said:
so why is Sony re-releasing Shadow of the Colossus yet again but not Demon's Souls? :judo:

Cuz' it fucking owns?

But yeah seriously tho- I'd love to see a Demon Souls re-release/remaster as it is the only souls game I haven't played (got multiple hundreds of hours on the rest :ubik:).
I will give Praise to the Sun and hope they do this one day. :sad:

Personally I'm glad that they are making remake of SotC, I've never played it which isn't the case with Demon's Souls - one of my favorite games. SotC looks awesome, also looks like God of War in terms of confronting giant enemies, but from what I've seen a player must think more and put some effort in defeating enemy.

Griffith

VladimirPutin said:
Personally I'm glad that they are making remake of SotC, I've never played it which isn't the case with Demon's Souls

Well, it's the opposite situation for me, thus why I'm less than thrilled that SotC, after already getting remastered and re-released on PS3, is now getting the remake treatment rather than the oft rumored Demon's Souls remaster/remake. Of course, SotC is older and more in need of a revamp (but then it's already had one), and it's not mutually exclusive either; Sony could still just port DeS or put it on the US version of PS Now like their Japanese counterpart. I feel like it's kind of stuck between that and more profitable options, but with no new Souls games on the horizon and series more popular than ever the time certainly seems ripe.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I finished playing Dragon Quest VI over the weekend. It was probably my least favorite of the series and seemed like a step back after Dragon Quest V.

I'm really enjoying Knights of the Old Republic. It's like Star Wars meets Mass Effect, and since I'm a huge fan of both those franchises (minus the SW prequels and ME: Andromeda), I'm having a blast.

Griffith said:
Well, it's the opposite situation for me, thus why I'm less than thrilled that SotC, after already getting remastered and re-released on PS3, is now getting the remake treatment rather than the oft rumored Demon's Souls remaster/remake. Of course, SotC is older and more in need of a revamp (but then it's already had one), and it's not mutually exclusive either; Sony could still just port DeS or put it on the US version of PS Now like their Japanese counterpart. I feel like it's kind of stuck between that and more profitable options, but with no new Souls games on the horizon and series more popular than ever the time certainly seems ripe.

I think a demon souls remake could definitely make a lot of $. However, another way to see it is SotC doesn't have a real sequel so they can remaster it and sell it at a new game price without making it look real expensive next to the most recent game. The problem is likely with what the developers are working on- team ico hasn't really had a big hit since SotC and from software has been knocking it out of the park with sequals and are now in a position where they want to work on new IPs.

Griffith said:
Well, it's the opposite situation for me, thus why I'm less than thrilled that SotC, after already getting remastered and re-released on PS3, is now getting the remake treatment rather than the oft rumored Demon's Souls remaster/remake.

I completely agree with you. Maybe I'm alone in this, but SotC looks so iconic and beautiful that I'm a little offended they felt it needed a complete remake at all.

9bQq83G.gif
iWxsGCZ.png

I'm hoping it's a placeholder, because new Wander looks like a sweaty cosplayer who's really nervous about this anime convention. I've put the original beside him to make him look even worse.

Eluvei said:
Maybe I'm alone in this, but SotC looks so iconic and beautiful that I'm a little offended they felt it needed a complete remake at all.

You're not alone.

And what have they done to my poor Wander?! He looks like Karl Pilkington with a wig. :magni:

Griffith

Eluvei said:
Maybe I'm alone in this, but SotC looks so iconic and beautiful that I'm a little offended they felt it needed a complete remake at all.
Skeleton said:
You're not alone.

Yep, I didn't mention it but I thought the rendering of the first Colossus looked... off. As Eluvei points out, so much of that game's effectiveness and artistry is in the atmosphere and visual presentation that gives the Colossi, and everything, such scale, grandeur, and majesty. It was fine-tuned for that. Being just a few degrees off with those details, lighting, fog, shadows, let alone having a third party come in and completely rebuild it from the ground up with a different set of tools and priorities, risks not just screwing it up as a proper remake and making it seem worse than we remember it, but effectively creating an entirely new, different, and no doubt poorer, gaming experience. I'm wary, but since SotC was already a go-to "games as art" example it'll be interesting to see if and how this remake sends that point home about the original and what made it special, i.e. more advanced graphics/gameplay ≠ superior graphics/gameplay.

The ultimate litmus test fail in this regard would be if they "fixed" Agro's controls. :ganishka:

VladimirPutin said:
SotC looks awesome, also looks like God of War in terms of confronting giant enemies

Well, I hope this remake ends up being more like the former than the latter! :guts:

Griffith said:
Yep, I didn't mention it but I thought the rendering of the first Colossus looked... off. As Eluvei points out, so much of that game's effectiveness and artistry is in the atmosphere and visual presentation that gives the Colossi, and everything, such scale, grandeur, and majesty. It was fine-tuned for that. Being just a few degrees off with those details, lighting, fog, shadows,

and animations. Everything seemed weirdly smooth in the trailer, which I don't think bodes well for keeping the tone you and others have mentioned. The colossi in the original felt unbelievably heavy, accelerating slowly and bringing their movements to sudden stops against the ground, and Wander's spastic, arm-flailing run, while looking pretty silly when you were just exploring, suddenly made perfect sense when trying to escape them. From the looks of it so far they might be losing some of this as well.

In less depressing news, I've been playing Hollow Knight and having a blast. It's a Metroidvania game, but I'm feeling more like I did when first playing Dark Souls then I have with any game since, including Dark Souls II and III. A couple of borrowed mechanics aside, the feeling of needing to take care and adjust your tactics with every enemy, and of being deep in uncharted territory and trying to decide whether to back out now or plunge in deeper, is something I've missed sorely and wish more games would go for. The challenge is just right and every new area puts a big stupid grin on my face.

Griffith

llafnwod said:
and animations. Everything seemed weirdly smooth in the trailer, which I don't think bodes well for keeping the tone you and others have mentioned. The colossi in the original felt unbelievably heavy, accelerating slowly and bringing their movements to sudden stops against the ground, and Wander's spastic, arm-flailing run, while looking pretty silly when you were just exploring, suddenly made perfect sense when trying to escape them. From the looks of it so far they might be losing some of this as well.

Oh yeah, the scale wasn't only relatively believable but seemed more real because of the weight conveyed. If they start moving around like typical fast twitch video game monsters or blown up minatatures that'll all be lost. A lot hinges on the 5th and 13th colossi for me, if they fuck up that experience I'm totally out.

In less depressing news, I've been playing Hollow Knight and having a blast. It's a Metroidvania game, but I'm feeling more like I did when first playing Dark Souls then I have with any game since, including Dark Souls II and III. A couple of borrowed mechanics aside, the feeling of needing to take care and adjust your tactics with every enemy, and of being deep in uncharted territory and trying to decide whether to back out now or plunge in deeper, is something I've missed sorely and wish more games would go for. The challenge is just right and every new area puts a big stupid grin on my face.

Oooh, I saw that on the Steam summer sale and wondered. I'll have to give it a hard look now.

Still playing Persona 5. Just finished the second palace. Fucking love the hell out of this game but need a break.

So I decided with the stormy weather lately that it's best to fuck my shit up all over again and play Fatal Frame 2 again. I love these games so much. Some of the most relentlessly soul draining games ever.

Top Bottom