What Are You Playing?

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
MrFlibble said:
I'm very late to this party, but I recently finished Nier Automata

Dude, we're trying to talk about Mario 3 and 64, leave your old games out of this and try to stay up with the times! =)

Aazealh said:
For what it's worth, Super Mario 3D Land was my favorite Mario game since 64. Odyssey is charming in many ways, and Galaxy was a truly great game (and Sunshine is greatly underrated), but I really had a blast with 3D Land that goes beyond that. Somehow it feels similar to what I experienced with Zelda: A Link Between Worlds. Just addictive fun that makes you play through it without end.

Yeah, I think the reason those two in particular share that trait is because they're both portable titles, but no lesser for it because the 3DS is so comparable to the Wii's, and as a result of it almost all the fat has been cut! Not necessarily for hardware limitations, but to make them better suited for instant gaming on the go. The irony is that's how all these games should be designed! Unfortunately I think there's a tendency or expectation to drag out the theatrics on the big AAA home titles that just isn't suited to Nintendo. Those two games are great and addictive because it's more pure gameplay you want and less slowing down and doing stuff you don't. I was reading some comparisons between 3D Land and 3D World and it basically came down to gameplay/design vs. hardware features. We all know which makes for a better game. More to the general topic, not every Mario, even the very good ones, and most are, can be transcendent. Or, more simply, they can't all be the best. And since I'm a nerd here's a list of my transcendent Marios:

Donkey Kong
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario World
Super Mario 64

Other greats:

Yoshi's Island
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Galaxy 2 (so far it seems like an expansion =)
Super Mario 3D Land

And most of the rest are still all very good games in their own right, just not the greatest among these. Example: I got to the final castle in 3D World the other nighy but it required like 50 more stars to open than I had to reach that point... So, that's some fun, huh!?

Griffith

Still catching up on my Mario(s). Finished 3D World on Wii U, which had some fun but is still a pretty underwheming follow-up to 3D Land despite all the console gloss. I'm simultaneously replaying 3D Land since its also my favorite Mario since 64 because it's awesome. They should have just called it Super Mario 3D, like everything else on 3DS, instead of implying some secondary "travel version" status (especially because it was actually by the main Mario team and is technically more legit than A Link Between Worlds; they should just have called that Link's 3Dwakening =). 3D World conversely doesn't deserve the lofty elevation implied by the, what should be sacrosanct, "World" designation; that's blasphemy and it should have more deservedly been subtitled "Puss in Boots" or something. :ganishka:

The Galaxies continue to impress and in context are clearly the evolutionary link between Mario 64 and 3D Land; controls and play areas designed like 64, but more course/goal oriented like 3D Land, albeit more loosely. So, for those that haven't played, it's like semi-open environments but you select from multiple obstacle courses designed for each that act more like linear stages (you can run to the sides a bit, but you progress a certain way), which SMG2 made more explicit before 3D Land made it literally Mario levels again. Too bad I couldn't just refer to this handy chart before to know that:

iTAPckh.jpg

So far I prefer the looser creativity of the original Galaxy to the streamlined refinements and extra features of SMG2; I like the charms of the Observatory hub (including the wistful Yoshi's Island-styled backstory) and the overall dedication to the space theme, whereas SMG2 is basically just floating 3D Mario courses made in half measure with classic Mario concepts and the Galaxy engine. I see this debated where SMG2 is either the perfect version of the Galaxy concept or merely derivative of it, and so far I'm in the latter camp and find myself drawn back to looking for more stars in SMG1 than desiring to progress in SMG2 at the moment. Anyway, I certainly see why Galaxy and its successor was such a successful iteration of Mario; plus, it's just larger than life and mindbending having Mario literally circumferencing planetoids and jumping between them changing gravity. If I keep playing and enjoying it so much I'm going to have to add it to my transcendent Marios (though it wouldn't bump 3D Land because while I see now what it owes to the Galaxies they're still different animals in my book, whatever Nintendon't says).

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I finished Super Mario Bros. 3 this morning and started playing Super Mario World. It was really fun playing all the way through SMB3, since I was never able to do so as a kid. It's been about 25 years since I last played it, so it feels very satisfying to finally beat it. Take that, eight-year-old Rhomby!

As for SMW, I remember visiting my best friend across the street when the SNES came out and playing the two-player version with him for hours on end like it was yesterday (we played a lot of F-Zero and Street Fighter II Turbo, too). I never had time to beat it (since I owned a Genesis), but that's about to change. :badbone:

Griffith said:
The Galaxies continue to impress and in context are clearly the evolutionary link between Mario 64 and 3D Land; controls and play areas designed like 64, but more course/goal oriented like 3D Land, albeit more loosely. So, for those that haven't played, it's like semi-open environments but you select from multiple obstacle courses designed for each that act more like linear stages (you can run to the sides a bit, but you progress a certain way), which SMG2 made more explicit before 3D Land made it literally Mario levels again. Too bad I couldn't just refer to this handy chart before to know that

The chart definitely does clear things up as far as the style of the games, and it reminds me I need to brush up on my Japanese. The substitution of goal-post endings for specific tasks (power stars), punching enemies (without being able to run around supersized, throwing fireballs), and having so many techniques at your disposal is why I believe Mario 64 was less 'Mario' (that is, 'Mario game') than the main-line Mario games before it. Dealing with enemies after you take a hit and lose your powerups takes a bit more care in pre-64 Mario games. All you could really do as base Mario is make carefully timed jumps to either defeat or avoid enemies. But base Mario in Mario 64 yields so much versatility, what with ground pound, which allows you to land in a specific area with timed precision, and diving on the ground toward an enemy, which gives you a bit more of a tactical edge over an enemy than a stationary punch would. Punching and sweep kicks are a bit more risky, as either one leaves Mario open to punishment, so I'd say they require timing more or less comparable to timing your moment in the 2D games and jumping upon the enemies.

I don't know why tf I wrote Mario 64 was open-world, considering I initially typed hub (I specifically had Demon's Souls in mind when thinking of SM64). I was second-guessing it because of how large the castle interior is, not taking into account that open-worlds wouldn't have loading screens such as the ones in 64. I also completely ignored the painting worlds, surmising that if GTA Vice City could access Liberty City through a cutscene at the airport, it would still be considered a sandbox open-world game. I applied that same logic to the castle and painting worlds in 64. But I totally over-thunk it :schnoz:

Griffith said:
So far I prefer the looser creativity of the original Galaxy to the streamlined refinements and extra features of SMG2; I like the charms of the Observatory hub (including the wistful Yoshi's Island-styled backstory) and the overall dedication to the space theme, whereas SMG2 is basically just floating 3D Mario courses made in half measure with classic Mario concepts and the Galaxy engine. I see this debated where SMG2 is either the perfect version of the Galaxy concept or merely derivative of it, and so far I'm in the latter camp and find myself drawn back to looking for more stars in SMG1 than desiring to progress in SMG2 at the moment. Anyway, I certainly see why Galaxy and its successor was such a successful iteration of Mario; plus, it's just larger than life and mindbending having Mario literally circumferencing planetoids and jumping between them changing gravity. If I keep playing and enjoying it so much I'm going to have to add it to my transcendent Marios (though it wouldn't bump 3D Land because while I see now what it owes to the Galaxies they're still different animals in my book, whatever Nintendon't says).

It's been a while since I played the first Galaxy, but I could tell in the first World that SMG2 was a lesser version of its predecessor just with new do-hickeys, and Yoshi. It wouldn't be wrong to say the game is like an expansion, and the fact that it's bare-bones in story helps. But I can't say I'm not having fun. I'm actually really enjoying playing as Yoshi and swallowing enemies like mad. Though when he runs away after we take a hit, I could just strangle the fecker.. kidding, not kidding :serpico: I never cared for the star bits feature, not as collectibles and not as a utility. I always thought they were invented to make some kind of use of the Wii-mote and cursor, but they don't do too bad in adding to the outer space setting.

I'm more a fan of having one single colossal stage than having a dozen tiny planetoids linked by launcher stars, but the circumnavigation is great. The changing of gravity and various interactions you can have with the environment is marvelous. The drilling bit and Cloud Mario are pretty cute.

Comparing the fun I'm having in SMG2, I'd still say Odyssey has an edge in my books, though it's not a big gap. Yoshi is pretty damn entertaining. But, in Odyssey, throwing the hat at enemies in a *GOTCHA BITCH* moment is the tops.. I'd say it's more of a release for me than punching enemies in 64 was. Attacking at a distance like that willy nilly is so cathartic, and addicting.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I've been playing Ni-Oh on PC (Aaz graciously got it for my birthday :badbone: ). No getting around it — it's a Souls game set in 1500s era Japan, and it's really fucking good. It gets bonus points for feeling like a Vagabond-meets-Souls game, what with primary weapon options being dual katanas and the kusarigama. Definitely worth picking up for those inclined to both series.
badtothebone.gif

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I finished playing Super Mario World yesterday (beat Bowser after clearing 96 levels first). I enjoyed it a lot. I’m having a hard time deciding which I liked better, SMB3 or SMW, so for now I’ll say I liked them both evenly. :serpico:

Now, it’s on to Metroid II: Return of Samus!

Griffith

ThePiedPiper said:
Comparing the fun I'm having in SMG2, I'd still say Odyssey has an edge in my books, though it's not a big gap. Yoshi is pretty damn entertaining.

Yeah, I'll be getting back to SMG2 soon, I got to the first Bowser fight just to see what it entailed and though it was impressively creative, I don't know that it was something better than the original. I also find the Star minimums to advance annoying this time despite the fact I'm electing to collect 120 in SMG. If you're going to emphasize the individual level progression more then don't throw up artificial barriers to that progression.

Walter said:
I've been playing Ni-Oh on PC (Aaz graciously got it for my birthday :badbone: ). No getting around it — it's a Souls game set in 1500s era Japan, and it's really fucking good. It gets bonus points for feeling like a Vagabond-meets-Souls game, what with primary weapon options being dual katanas and the kusarigama. Definitely worth picking up for those inclined to both series.
badtothebone.gif

Damn, I've been surpressing the urge to get it for now, which hasn't been too hard since I currently lack the time and money, but I bet I'd enjoy it. I'm still getting my gaming fix opportunistically with the Mario games I never played over the last few years (even Mario Run on my phone). I'm only a few stars away from 120 in Galaxy (but half of those will be the purple comet/coin ones I've been avoiding ugh :mozgus:) and I even picked up New SMB on the virtual console because I never played it for DS and despite it's mixed reputation it DID revitalize and reshape 2D Mario in a big way. I'm at world 3 and so far it's not so bad, but nothing special either. It's almost like they thought to do classic 2D again they has to limit their ambitions aside from the giant Mario gimmick.

BTW Switch Owners, how is Super Mario Odyssey treating you after spending some real time with it? Do I need to pay $350 for it or am I still good making do with my Wii U and waiting a decade like with these other Marios? =)

Rhombaad said:
I finished playing Super Mario World yesterday (beat Bowser after clearing 96 levels first). I enjoyed it a lot. I’m having a hard time deciding which I liked better, SMB3 or SMW, so for now I’ll say I liked them both evenly. :serpico:

It's an interesting debate only because they do things a bit differently with SMB3 being a sprint (both in level design and because, let's face it, after the initial playthrough you're using those warp whistles =) of quick but endless imaginitive goodies and SMW being a marathon that bakes the imaginative goodies into every moment. I give it to SMW for being more substantial and timeless. As discussed not too long ago, that's still the pinnacle of Mario and platform gaming in my mind. I don't think SMB3 or really anything is better.

BTW, have you already played SMW2: Yoshi's Island? It's a very different and worthy entry to the canon in its own right.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
BTW Switch Owners, how is Super Mario Odyssey treating you after spending some real time with it? Do I need to pay $350 for it or am I still good making do with my Wii U and waiting a decade like with these other Marios? =)

I haven't played it in about a week, if that says anything. Game's great! I am just not enticed to keep returning to it until it's done.

BTW, have you already played SMW2: Yoshi's Island? It's a very different and worthy entry to the canon in its own right.

No argument here, but FYI Yoshi's Island was only dubbed Super Mario World 2 by Nintendo of America's marketing department.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Griffith said:

I actually finished it completely. After having done so, I realized I would most likely not be picking my switch up for several more years so I sold it. I don't sell consoles, but I had absolutely no problem doing so with this one. It had two great games for me (BotW and SMO), but I just do not feel the need nor want to go back to them.

As for my current squeeze, I've been playing Nioh. Bloodborne is my fave game of the past two years, so I'm wondering if this will take the top spot.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Griffith said:
It's an interesting debate only because they do things a bit differently with SMB3 being a sprint (both in level design and because, let's face it, after the initial playthrough you're using those warp whistles =) of quick but endless imaginitive goodies and SMW being a marathon that bakes the imaginative goodies into every moment. I give it to SMW for being more substantial and timeless. As discussed not too long ago, that's still the pinnacle of Mario and platform gaming in my mind. I don't think SMB3 or really anything is better.

Agreed. I just enjoyed both so much, it’s hard to pick a favorite.

Griffith said:

I haven’t, but it’s on my list. I’ve heard great things about it.

Griffith

Walter said:
I haven't played it in about a week, if that says anything. Game's great! I am just not enticed to keep returning to it until it's done.

Hmmmm... "until it's done?" Does it need an update or DLC, or are you referring to something specific in your own playthrough?

Walter said:
No argument here, but FYI Yoshi's Island was only dubbed Super Mario World 2 by Nintendo of America's marketing department.

And Europe, but I don't think it's quite the same mess SMB2/Doki Doki Panic/Mario USA was. Mario World was also known as Mario Bros. 4 in Japan and, whatever the country, all these names are for marketing anyway, essentially (like Zelda III 2 being made 20 years later by different people). More importantly, Yoshi's Island was the next "Mario" game by the same team at Nintendo EAD and actually builds off from and lives up to its predecessor while being fresh and not recycling or watering down its assets and content (like JP SMB2 or SMG2). So, the SMW2 title is a truer designation than a lot of so called sequels even though the original game and title is also unique and the intention was likely to simultaneously spinoff on yet protect the Mario brand if it wasn't such a success (like every other Yoshi game =). Basically, NOA or whoever made the call got it right on that one.

Johnstantine said:
I actually finished it completely. After having done so, I realized I would most likely not be picking my switch up for several more years so I sold it. I don't sell consoles, but I had absolutely no problem doing so with this one. It had two great games for me (BotW and SMO), but I just do not feel the need nor want to go back to them.

That's pretty radical; aren't they going to release other games in the next few years? I mean, I also feel like there's no reason to get a Switch now besides BotW and Odyssey (or just the latter if you have a Wii U), but I also kind of assumed I was just ignorant. What about the versatility, portability, etc?

Also, despite the critical raves, and even the praise here, it seems like Odyssey isn't setting your worlds on fire. Makes me wonder what exactly it's lacking.

Rhombaad said:
Agreed. I just enjoyed both so much, it’s hard to pick a favorite.

It's easy, just imagine if they were your children and ask yourself which you'd be more proud of. =)

Rhombaad said:
I haven’t, but it’s on my list.

What else is currently on the list?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Hmmmm... "until it's done?" Does it need an update or DLC, or are you referring to something specific in your own playthrough?

I only meant that I haven't been compelled to see the game through to completion. I had the same hang-up with SMG2. Fun, but just didn't push me until the end. I don't think there's anything fundamentally wrong with the game or anything, I just kind of got my fill for the time being.

Still loving the Switch. I recently finished Steamworld Dig 2, which was great. I wish they had Steamworld Heist on there though...

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Griffith said:
That's pretty radical; aren't they going to release other games in the next few years? I mean, I also feel like there's no reason to get a Switch now besides BotW and Odyssey (or just the latter if you have a Wii U), but I also kind of assumed I was just ignorant. What about the versatility, portability, etc?

I have the 3DS, as well as every other console. Also, I'm sort of alleviating the amount of clutter I have right now. In my heart of hearts, I knew I wouldn't use the switch anytime soon so I decided to part with it. It's a great little machine, but outside of the BotW/SMO hype I had for it I just do not see myself playing it anymore.

It went to a nice home, so that's what I'm more happy about.

Walter said:
badtothebone.gif

Wow, I completely glossed over this. I just started it last night and was drawn in by how fast the gameplay is. Also, the story seems pretty cool.

Griffith

Walter said:
I only meant that I haven't been compelled to see the game through to completion. I had the same hang-up with SMG2. Fun, but just didn't push me until the end. I don't think there's anything fundamentally wrong with the game or anything, I just kind of got my fill for the time being.

Ah, I always feel bad when I don't play/finish games, like it's my fault (I never understood your ability to drop a game even 90% through =); it's probably much healthier to see the game as not being sufficiently compelling to demand your time and attention. It's supposed to be entertaining, after all.

Johnstantine said:
I have the 3DS, as well as every other console.

I don't know if this is a case more for or against just keeping it, but if you knew you wouldn't use it then sure I guess. Maybe I can borrow a Switch for Odyssey from my old boss; he got it and Zelda early but there's a better than decent chance he doesn't play it. My only fear is in that case he may have already given it to his nephew.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Griffith said:
It's easy, just imagine if they were your children and ask yourself which you'd be more proud of. =)

:ganishka:

Griffith said:
What else is currently on the list?

It’s a long one, but the next ten on the list are:

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Super Castlevania IV
The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening
Secret of Mana
Doom
The Elder Scrolls: Arena
Super Metroid
System Shock
Doom II: Hell on Earth
Donkey Kong Country

I wonder if I'm the only person that didn't really think Mario Odyssey was super awesome. The only Mario game I really played to completion was Super Mario 64 and that was when I didn't have many other games to play. Of course we're talking when I was young and when I played on the Nintendo 64 still. I just don't have the same interest in trying to beat the game. I will admit that it is fun, but it's not engrossing like Zelda for me. I also played Super Mario Sunshine to completion back when that was around. Part of my problem is that I play Xbox too much now. I've kind of been like an elite gamer for a while. You know the toxic type. And I'm just finally learning how to enjoy playing video games again so excuse me lol

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Gamehowitzer said:
I wonder if I'm the only person that didn't really think Mario Odyssey was super awesome.

I've beaten it, and I'm at about 350 moons right now. It's fine. It's a fun game, and there are 2-3 standout moments. I have found the overall experience pretty rote though. At this point I'm mostly playing it because my son wants to watch.

I've been playing through the new Zelda DLC, the Champions' Ballad. It's uh, well... more shrine hunting, and some remixed boss battles (long ones too). The coolest aspect for me so far is the cartography trials (you are shown an overhead view of a place, and you need to find the exact location on the map). What really bothers me is that the promotional material for the DLC revealed the new item you get at the very end of the long sequence of events, which the game does a good job of keeping a secret. And that item seems cool, but it's also something that would make more sense to have for the long journey you're undertaking to get through the DLC. I'll have very little use for such an item after I've already finished this last piece of official content for the game.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I finished The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past the other day. What a wonderful game. I can see why it’s so beloved and considered by many to be one of the greatest games ever made. Now, it’s on to Super Castlevania IV!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Super Castlevania IV
The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening
Secret of Mana
Doom
The Elder Scrolls: Arena
Super Metroid
System Shock
Doom II: Hell on Earth
Donkey Kong Country

That's a nice list you got there. Reminds me of my childhood. :guts:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Aazealh said:
That's a nice list you got there. Reminds me of my childhood. :guts:

Mine, too. :serpico:

Edit: I finished Super Castlevania IV yesterday, so next up is The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening!

I enjoyed Super Castlevania IV a lot more than its NES counterpart. Castlevania just got way too frustrating towards the end, to the point where I wasn't having fun playing it anymore. Not so with SCIV. :serpico:

While I was visiting family last month, I watched my brother beat Bloodborne a second time and replay the game. To take his mind off, we'd play Broforce. Totally fun and awesome cos you get to play with action movie stars/ heroes. We finished that one and played half of it in hard mode. My favorites to play with were Rambro, Brobocop, Brolander, Brodator, Bro Max, Bro Hard, Bro Dredd, Brochette, Mr. Anderbro and Ellen Ripbro.

Just got pubg a couple of days ago, i think its a genuine experience that no other game really offers. Of course it has a learning curve and it actually has no aim assist either, so it's pretty difficult to aim as well. I've been #2 in solo a couple of times so far, the strat is to pick a good landing spot and gear up while avoiding enemies, while this doesn't get me many kills its a survival game so if you land where noone else did you can easily get to the last half of the game. Can feel myself gradually getting better too, i think it's a pretty satisfying experience.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I finished The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening on Christmas. It was a lot of fun playing it again. It was one of my favorites when I was growing up.

Now, it's on to Adventures of Mana! I played the Game Boy version (known as Final Fantasy Adventure) when I was a kid, but it's not available as a virtual console title, so the best way to play it now is the iOS remake. It's pretty good so far. Most of the original game is left intact, but the graphics and controls have been updated.

Top Bottom