What Are You Playing?

After finishing BoTW I got Far Cry 5. Finished it last night my oh my that ending was a little bit of a letdown. Kinda messed up. In any case I loved the atmosphere. Little closer to home for me. Had a hint of small town America around every nook and cranny. Obviously exaggerated. Only played 3, blood dragon, and 4 so I’d put it right behind 3. Mainly because the series feels like it needs a revamp, though having allies like a damn bear was amazing. I did enjoy my time and don’t regret playing. Next up is GOW4.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I just beat Mega Man. I didn't use the pause trick on Yellow Devil, either. :badbone: Much like Castlevania, I'm so glad I gave this series another try. I had such a great time playing this game. I can't wait to play the second and third one, which I've heard are the best of the NES games.

Next up for mobile gaming is Castlevania II: Simon's Quest. After reading a bunch of mixed reviews, I'm going to give it a shot and see what I think. I'll probably use a guide for most of it, since the localization is notoriously bad.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Rhombaad said:
I finished Sonic 3 & Knuckles over the weekend. I'm so glad I decided to play the original Sonic games. I had a great time with every one, but I think Sonic 3 & Knuckles was my favorite. The graphics were amazing for their time, the boss fights were enjoyable and there was a lot of extra stuff to do.

Glad to hear it, great games, and once again... what happened, Sega?

Rhombaad said:
I just beat Mega Man. I didn't use the pause trick on Yellow Devil, either. :badbone: Much like Castlevania, I'm so glad I gave this series another try. I had such a great time playing this game. I can't wait to play the second and third one, which I've heard are the best of the NES games.

Damn, beat it before I could even warn you! Did you use save states though or play it on something other than a regulation NES machine, Billy Mitchell!? In any case, that's impressive because the original Yellow Devil is a pain in the ass, as is the rest of MM1. MM2 and 3 are the class of the series, but they may seem a little easy to you after that one.

I finished Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare the other night and was bit sad it was over. Weird DLC, basically a new game, and while I wasn't in love with the concept or the mechanics of clearing towns and graveyards it did give a second life to an already enjoyable game. Plus, despite technically being a non-canon alternate timeline deal it was strangely relevant, self-aware and cathartic to the main game's story and themes to the point it actually adds to and deepins the overall experience despite itself. One can't help but consider it as a spiritual continuation commenting on the preceding story, a figurative and perhaps literal afterlife. Also, I loved the payoff at the end, it was kind of what I was hoping for to start the game but they way they did it was even better. Anyway, great game(s)!

Oh, and since I'm still on that Rockstar kick I fired up GTAV again and am making some incremental progress... but it's a little bit more of a chore than some transportive experience.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Griffith said:
Damn, beat it before I could even warn you! Did you use save states though or play it on something other than a regulation NES machine, Billy Mitchell!? In any case, that's impressive because the original Yellow Devil is a pain in the ass, as is the rest of MM1. MM2 and 3 are the class of the series, but they may seem a little easy to you after that one.

I played it on my 3DS, but I didn't use save states. I basically paused the game when shutting down the system and restarted where I left off (had I been playing on an NES, I probably would've needed to leave it paused over several days). I was very tempted to use a save state right before the Yellow Devil, since I was getting tired of making my way through Dr. Wily stage 1 so many times, but I didn't. That bastard was terrible, but after fighting it over and over and over again, I finally nailed the pattern and put it out of its misery (or vice versa?).

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I finished Simon's Quest last Thursday. It was okay; nothing to write home about. It wasn't nearly as bad as some critics made it out to be, but it wasn't amazing, either.

I started playing Ninja Gaiden on the 3DS Virtual Console today. I'm on Act III and doing okay, but I've heard it gets insanely hard the further in you go.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
I finished Simon's Quest last Thursday. It was okay; nothing to write home about. It wasn't nearly as bad as some critics made it out to be, but it wasn't amazing, either.

Pfff, what are you talking about. It's easily one of the best games in the series. A bold, visionary title that, among other things, laid the groundwork for Symphony of the Night.

Griffith

Aazealh said:
Pfff, what are you talking about. It's easily one of the best games in the series. A bold, visionary title that, among other things, laid the groundwork for Symphony of the Night.

New sub-topic: What's the worst game you think is amazing/significant? :troll:

Uhhh... MGS2 for me maybe? I'll have to think on this more, because aside from the alienating story elements it's a pretty objectively impressive game.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:

I guess some works of art are just too good to be appreciated by philistines like you guys. :iva:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Aazealh said:

Much like Zelda II, I appreciated it for taking the series in a bold new direction, and for laying the groundwork for Symphony of the Night, as you said, I just didn't have much fun playing it. Maybe because I used a guide (which is what I heard was recommended) or because I'm playing it 30 years later? I'm glad you enjoyed it, though.

Griffith said:

Uhhh... MGS2 for me maybe? I'll have to think on this more, because aside from the alienating story elements it's a pretty objectively impressive game.

Ah, MGS2. I hated it the first time through, and loved it the second time. And it turned out to be quite prescient, what with the metadata gathering by the NSA.

Aazealh said:
I guess some works of art are just too good to be appreciated by philistines like you guys. :iva:

We just don't have your refined palate. :void:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
Maybe because I used a guide (which is what I heard was recommended)

!!!

A guide! And here I thought you were pursuing a laudable endeavor. But you're cheating! :iva:
(Just kidding, but I enjoy playing the irate old man way too much for my own good, I should probably keep myself in check before I start yelling at kids that they're having too much fun at the park)

P.S. Oh and as for me, I'm playing Rise of the Tomb Raider these days (after letting it rot in my backlog for god knows how long), and I'm handily beating Griffith's score in every level. :badbone:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Aazealh said:
!!!

A guide! And here I thought you were pursuing a laudable endeavor. But you're cheating! :iva:
(Just kidding, but I enjoy playing the irate old man way too much for my own good, I should probably keep myself in check before I start yelling at kids that they're having too much fun at the park)

I know, I know. Bad Rhombaad. :sad:

If I could do it over, I wouldn't have used one (except when I got really stumped). Oh well; too late now. I'm doing my best not to use guides for any of the games, but I read so many reviews of Simon's Quest that said you needed to because of the poor localization. How were you able to figure out the tornado trick without a guide? Schoolyard talk? (I'm assuming you played the game when it originally came out; please correct me if I'm wrong.)

Rhombaad said:
Much like Zelda II, I appreciated it for taking the series in a bold new direction, and for laying the groundwork for Symphony of the Night, as you said, I just didn't have much fun playing it. Maybe because I used a guide (which is what I heard was recommended) or because I'm playing it 30 years later? I'm glad you enjoyed it, though.

Ah, MGS2. I hated it the first time through, and loved it the second time. And it turned out to be quite prescient, what with the metadata gathering by the NSA.

We just don't have your refined palate. :void:
Is it bad i actually enjoyed playing zelda 2 more than zelda 1?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
How were you able to figure out the tornado trick without a guide? Schoolyard talk? (I'm assuming you played the game when it originally came out; please correct me if I'm wrong.)

Pretty sure I found it by chance, but you should know it took me what felt like a year to finish the game at the time. Objectively a harrowing experience, but it gave me time to appreciate the game to its full extent. I didn't speak English at the time either, so I didn't know what the NPCs were saying anyway. I think we had some shitty translations in the box, and there may have been some clues there, but can't remember.

Gamehowitzer said:

Yes. Very bad. :azan:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Aazealh said:
Pretty sure I found it by chance, but you should know it took me what felt like a year to finish the game at the time. Objectively a harrowing experience, but it gave me time to appreciate the game to its full extent. I didn't speak English at the time either, so I didn't know what the NPCs were saying anyway. I think we had some shitty translations in the box, and there may have been some clues there, but can't remember.

Damn. Good for you. :ubik:

Gamehowitzer said:
Aazealh said:
Yes. Very bad. :azan:

:ganishka:

Griffith

Aazealh said:

I'm not actually, and I don't see what being Filipino has to with it anyway! :puck:

Aazealh said:
P.S. Oh and as for me, I'm playing Rise of the Tomb Raider these days (after letting it rot in my backlog for god knows how long), and I'm handily beating Griffith's score in every level. :badbone:

That shouldn't be hard, unless score is kept by seeing how much ammo one can waste in each section and still be fine. =)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
I started playing Ninja Gaiden on the 3DS Virtual Console today. I'm on Act III and doing okay, but I've heard it gets insanely hard the further in you go.

Fantastic game! If you're playing on 3DS you should have access to save states, which will dramatically lessen the frustration. The game's legendary difficulty is mostly related to the fact that if you die once in one of the later stages, you're pushed allllll the way back to the start of a really long sequence, involving multiple bosses. It's just really poor planning on the game developer's part. They didn't think it through, and so we must SUFFER.

Give Ninja Gaiden 2 a shot after you finish 1, even if you don't go all the way through it, there are some great moments (and music).

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
That shouldn't be hard, unless score is kept by seeing how much ammo one can waste in each section and still be fine. =)

Haha, yeah I'm playing in "Hard" I think and it's still pretty damn easy. It's the sort of game you can finish in 5 hours unless you choose to do all the little side things. Still, I'm having a good time with it so far! Just good old adventure stuff, reminds me of better times. =)

Fancypantaloons

Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.
I encountered an old game for MS-DOS called "Sword of the Samurai", it has so many elements that remind me of Mount&Blade. That's what I'm going to be playing if I find it.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Walter said:
Fantastic game! If you're playing on 3DS you should have access to save states, which will dramatically lessen the frustration. The game's legendary difficulty is mostly related to the fact that if you die once in one of the later stages, you're pushed allllll the way back to the start of a really long sequence, involving multiple bosses. It's just really poor planning on the game developer's part. They didn't think it through, and so we must SUFFER.

I'm loving it so far. I'm not using save states, though, since it gives me unlimited continues. I'm on stage 6-2 right now and my right arm and hand really hurt, but I've almost got it. One more stage and the final boss to go!

Walter said:
Give Ninja Gaiden 2 a shot after you finish 1, even if you don't go all the way through it, there are some great moments (and music).

I plan on it, but not right away. I need to regain the use of my thumbs. :ganishka:

Edit: Just beat Ninja Gaiden!!!! Thank God that's over. I loved almost every minute of that game, but I don't ever want to play it again, haha. Next up: Mega Man 2. Can't wait! :guts:

Reading what Walter wrote about Infinite Space on the favorite game series thread made me want to pick it up again, to see if it would click for me at some point. Well, I just finished the game and unfortunately it never quite did click. I could definitely see many of the game's qualities, some of which reminded me of other games I've really liked, but in the end it didn't really resonate with me. :judo: (it should go without that saying that this is on me and not the game)

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I beat Mega Man 2 yesterday afternoon. It was a lot of fun to play, but on Normal difficulty it was pretty easy after beating Ninja Gaiden. I'll probably go back some day and try to beat it on Difficult (the Japanese default), but for now I'm moving on. I'm sticking with playing Final Fantasy II until I beat it. After that, I'm not sure what'll be next. I'm adding a bunch of games from the Sega Master System to my list, so what I think I might play next may not be. :void:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
m said:
Reading what Walter wrote about Infinite Space on the favorite game series thread made me want to pick it up again, to see if it would click for me at some point. Well, I just finished the game and unfortunately it never quite did click. I could definitely see many of the game's qualities, some of which reminded me of other games I've really liked, but in the end it didn't really resonate with me. :judo: (it should go without that saying that this is on me and not the game)

Aw man, that's terrible! Well, I certainly don't think the game is for everyone. So all I can do is really describe my experience with the game, which was phenomenal.

Now that you've played it, I think you probably know what I was talking about in my impressions, about what it does that most game stories rarely do [
develop a character over a significant period of time. The 10 year gap thing blew me away, particularly with how they handled it, how awesome Yuri became, re-building your corps, and catching up on everyone from the past. The cast really grew on me throughout that story. I also found just about every story beat and twist very cool. The worst is the garbage in the very beginning of the game.
]

Walter said:
Aw man, that's terrible! Well, I certainly don't think the game is for everyone. So all I can do is really describe my experience with the game, which was phenomenal.

Now that you've played it, I think you probably know what I was talking about in my impressions, about what it does that most game stories rarely do [
develop a character over a significant period of time. The 10 year gap thing blew me away, particularly with how they handled it, how awesome Yuri became, re-building your corps, and catching up on everyone from the past. The cast really grew on me throughout that story. I also found just about every story beat and twist very cool. The worst is the garbage in the very beginning of the game.
]

No worries! I’m glad I played the game anyway.
I agree completely, Yuri’s development and the way they handled a fairly big cast are some of the best things about the game. Another thing I particularly liked was how the scope of the story grew and the universe “expanded”. By the end of the game I kept thinking that its title was very apt.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I finished Final Fantasy II on Saturday. Man, I'm glad that's over. I appreciate the attempt at innovation with the EXP system (or lack thereof), but it just didn't work. That being said, the game was a decent amount of fun and I'm glad I gave it a shot.

I started playing Phantasy Star on Sunday. I already like it more than Final Fantasy II, but that wasn't too high of a bar to reach. It's very unique so far, and I'm really enjoying myself. I even played for about 45 minutes before going to work today. It's nice being able to save anywhere in the world, and I love the fact that I need to take notes and draw out the dungeon maps like in the good old days.

Top Bottom