What Are You Playing?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Not really... :carcus:
Bleac said:
Hmm, I don't know. It looks very indie that's for sure, but I don't really like the whole aesthetic, kinda looks like a quirky phone game to me.

"No Walter it sucks, why are you playing this phone trash?!"

Geez, I think I'll stay away from rhetorical questions in the future.

Bleac said:
Is it not possible to reset the whole game and begin from the first floor with your lantern? That way you would probably get to where you were much faster, this time with new knowledge of the environment. If not, then it's probably not worth it.

Possible, but you wouldn't be better off, because you can corpse run to get back your stuff. It's just that the run to that corpse is made harder without the lantern. I failed to mention that there are instant-death traps that are outlined in red by the lantern. No lantern? You have to squint to see them. So you really can't run through old areas without it. And "knowledge of the environment" is practically useless because the levels are scrambled each run.

Playing whilst knowing that you're eventually gonna lose all progress and have to start over is the classic, stripped down rogue-like formula, but having the game get increasingly more difficult and tedious the more you die in a rogue-like, where you're gonna die many times, seems like bad game design and kinda unfair to me.

Rogue-likes as a genre is pretty loose, so I don't know that there's a standard definition to it. But yeah, I'm very familiar with them and how these games generally go. Spelunky is one of my favorite games. But this is more of an adventure game with a painful rogue-like element, because you are expected/intended to see it all, not something you would normally just drop in for a quick fun run.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Walter said:
The 3h I put into Bloodborne so far felt like homework. I'm going to give it an honest shot because you like it so much, but my initial impression just confirmed what I felt in DS3: Souls fatigue.

The prognosis already wasn't good after your initial takeaway was the bad framerate, "he'll probably start playing another damn indie instead! :mozgus:" =)

But hey man, I understand, if you're not feeling it right now, you're not feeling it. My only advice if you're not out on it already would be to get to Father Gascoigne if you haven't yet and see if he gets the juices flowing. If not, the game just might not be for you.

On this point, I'd be so curious to see your RDR2 take; like, if you'd fall in love with its crazy minutiae or just be out immediately. :ganishka:

Walter said:
"No Walter it sucks, why are you playing this phone trash?!"

Geez, I think I'll stay away from rhetorical questions in the future.

"You should have known... you, of all people." :griffnotevil:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
On this point, I'd be so curious to see your RDR2 take; like, if you'd fall in love with its crazy minutiae or just be out immediately. :ganishka:

Yeah I really don't know at this point, and the $60 pricetag is keeping me away at the moment. I've also got a lot else on my PS4 plate (Horizon, God of War, Last Guardian). But yeah RDR2 is one of the big reasons I got the system, so I will definitely get it one day.

"You should have known... you, of all people." :griffnotevil:

Oh my god, that terrible feeling when I'm not sure if it's a xXx or Berserk reference :ganishka:

Griffith

Walter said:
Yeah I really don't know at this point, and the $60 pricetag is keeping me away at the moment. I've also got a lot else on my PS4 plate (Horizon, God of War, Last Guardian). But yeah RDR2 is one of the big reasons I got the system, so I will definitely get it one day.

Yeah, having sampled the RDR goods on PS3 it was a MUST HAVE for me and I figured it wouldn't go on any meaningful sale for a while anyway if GTA4 was any indication. It's also the game, because my wife actually payed attention to it, that got me busted on my secret PS4 and caused some genuine marital strife...

RDR2, cite it on the divorce papers! :ganishka:

Walter said:
Oh my god, that terrible feeling when I'm not sure if it's a xXx or Berserk reference :ganishka:

Berserk, translated by Dwayne Johnson Vin Diesel.
gutsbarf.gif

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
My wife got me a PS Vita for Christmas so I can play all of the PS1 games on my list when I get to them. I couldn't wait to try it out, though, so I played a lot of Rayman last night (the first PS1 game on my list, which is about 40 games away, hehe). It was a lot of fun, so I'm really glad I was able to get a PS Vita before they eventually become unavailable.

Hope everyone else enjoyed their holiday!

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Rhombaad said:
My wife got me a PS Vita for Christmas so I can play all of the PS1 games on my list when I get to them. I couldn't wait to try it out, though, so I played a lot of Rayman last night (the first PS1 game on my list, which is about 40 games away, hehe). It was a lot of fun, so I'm really glad I was able to get a PS Vita before they eventually become unavailable.

Hope everyone else enjoyed their holiday!

Is Xenogears on your list? It's legit the greatest series that never was.

Rhombaad said:

I've been wanting to get a PS Vita for a long time now because I fancy my PSP so much, but I never got around to it, and now they're going extinct. Good call from your wife.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Bleac said:
I've been wanting to get a PS Vita for a long time now because I fancy my PSP so much, but I never got around to it, and now they're going extinct. Good call from your wife.

She's the best! :guts:

I finished playing Final Fantasy V. Man, that might've been the toughest FF game I've played. Omega and Shinryu were hard as hell, but Neo Ex-Death was something else. I loved the job system and wouldn't mind playing the game again at some point in the future, if only to try out new combinations.

Next up is Star Fox!

Griffith

Spider-Man: As advertised, it's basically the Arkham treatment for Spider-Man and company, which means it's awesome. As derivative as that is, it also has a few evolutionary wrinkles besides the inherent Spidey specifics.

The open world is huge and fully, though superficially, populated. It's also cool that it's a fictionalized version, featuring Oscorp and the Avengers building, of an otherwise real city.

So far the plot is fine but most importantly swinging around the city as Spider-Man is fun as hell. You don't feel as real and "weighted" as in Arkham, but that's in part because you're Spidey.

I enjoy the combat more too, there's a lot of fun stuff to do and it feels more fair where you don't just automatically win button mashing unless you get ganked yet can also take on groups effectively if you don't screw around. Basically, you're not so overpowered you can't lose, but it's not cheap either.

The visuals are appropriate for Spidey, not as gothic or atmospheric as Bats, or realistic coming off RDR2, but somewhere between a cartoon and reality (sometimes the random npcs and buildings arent too detailed, but for the most part it doesn't matter and you won't notice).

I like Peter, who is supposed to be aged somewhere between 20 and 35 I think, and Spidey is right on, but the rest are hit or miss. Mary Jane is an annoying Lois Lane knockoff now (she basically almost lets the world get wiped out because she's mad at Peter and then blames him for patronizing her, real girlfriend move =) and looks kind of like Gwen Stacy from those Amazing movies, so that's not good. Aunt May is ok but I don't like the red hair because it makes it seem like Pete has an Oedipus complex, but Otto and the baddies are good interpretations for the most part (again, pretty much on par with the Arkham games). I don't really get the point of the MJ and Miles sequences other than to make me really appreciate being Spider-Man 90% of the time. =)

Like I said, plot is good so far and escalating appropriately, it has some big action set pieces strung together by quicktime events, and I don't mind the side stuff to upgrade and get new suits, but we'll see how it comes together in the end. Anyway, it's basically the fifth Arkham game but with Spider-Man. If you liked those and a have PS4, go get it, Tiger.

So of course I been playing smash ultimate, but i also bought Chasm after christmas. (my cousin got me an eshop giftcard) and i am quite pleased with chasm. i'm currently trolling through the areas i've cleared trying to fill in the rest of my bestiary before heading into the final area. I really enjoy the game to be honest, you need a good mastery of your movement and attack speed to maneuver around your enemies, and when farming them for items you tend to forsake your armor for more luck stat so knowing their attack patterns is important too.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Star Fox was an important game when I was a kid. I remember my buddy, Matt, circling the date it was going to be released on his calendar. We both salivated in anticipation of the release date, and when he finally got it, we must've played that game for 10 hours straight.

However, neither he or I could get past Stage 4. But yesterday, after 25 years, I finally beat Star Fox on the normal difficulty. It was glorious. Then, I was promptly destroyed after attempting the harder difficulty setting, so I think I'm going to play Alone in the Dark between future re-attempts. :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
Star Fox was an important game when I was a kid. I remember my buddy, Matt, circling the date it was going to be released on his calendar. We both salivated in anticipation of the release date, and when he finally got it, we must've played that game for 10 hours straight.

Seeing (and hearing) Corneria for the first time was one of my most memorable gaming moments. PC flight sims had done laps around Starfox by that point in gaming, but I wasn't exposed to those games, so it looked and felt incredible. Now, not so much! :ganishka: I did finish Starfox 2 last year though on the SNES Classic. It really wasn't bad. Super easy by comparison though...

I'm working on a few projects at the moment, so not a ton of time for playing games, but I did finish Celeste (1800 deaths, lol), and picked up a bunch of PS4 games over the break: Tetris Effect, GTA5, FF12 (Zodiac Age), Odin Sphere, Wipeout Omega Collection. Haven't had time to play any of those but Tetris so far though.

Oh yeah, Bloodborne check-in: I'm just past the Cleric Beast. :shrug:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Walter said:
Seeing (and hearing) Corneria for the first time was one of my most memorable gaming moments. PC flight sims had done laps around Starfox by that point in gaming, but I wasn't exposed to those games, so it looked and felt incredible. Now, not so much! :ganishka: I did finish Starfox 2 last year though on the SNES Classic. It really wasn't bad. Super easy by comparison though...

Same here! My friend and I were huge Star Wars fans (I still am), so that made it even better with all it's little SW references.

The graphics don't hold up, but I don't mind them, since it's still fun to play.

I'm looking forward to playing Star Fox 2, as well. :void:

I know that I know :)

My post our worse
Walter said:
PC flight sims had done laps around Starfox by that point in gaming, but I wasn't exposed to those games, so it looked and felt incredible. Now, not so much! :ganishka: I did finish Starfox 2 last year though on the SNES Classic. It really wasn't bad. Super easy by comparison though...

I played star fox assault as a kid the images I have seen still haunt me to this day. When I close my eyes I see myself playing those god awful ground missions wishing for a flight mission only to be met with absolute despair. And thank god I wasn't dumb enough to get star fox adventures.

Moreover what is it with great flying games making sequels with terrible ground missions like rouge squadron 3.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I beat Alone in the Dark in a matter of hours, but it was fun seeing where the survival horror genre got its start. Despite the dated visuals, I really enjoyed the experience. I just wish they'd made good sequels to it so I could give them a shot.

I managed to finish Course 2 in Star Fox, but Course 3 is giving me a hard time. I'll beat it eventually, but it may take a some time.

I tried playing Star Wars: X-Wing, but I didn't have a very good time. The controls seemed needlessly complicated, and the game just wasn't very much fun after playing Wing Commander I and II.

I played and beat Kirby's Adventure on Monday. It was a little more challenging than the first Kirby game, but not by much. I was very impressed with its graphics and gameplay, though, especially considering it was an 8-bit NES title. They squeezed a lot of juice out of that little machine by the time it was winding down.

I'm currently playing Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master. It's not as difficult as The Revenge of Shinobi, but it's still a lot of fun.

After that, I'll be playing Secret of Mana again; this time on my SNES Classic. I can't wait. :serpico:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, switching between platforms like some kind of maniac! :ubik: Your X-Wing experience is also mine. I've unfortunately never gotten into those games because of the confusing controls. Games like Colony Wars on PS1 are my brand of space sim.

Rhombaad said:
After that, I'll be playing Secret of Mana again; this time on my SNES Classic. I can't wait. :serpico:

The core mechanics in SoM are solid. Charging up and then unleashing feels great. But the game has a rough/unfinished quality to it, mostly the story, and that's because it IS a slightly unfinished (was a CD game converted to cartridge at last minute). So don't let that hold you back. The combat, visuals, and interplay between teammates is what makes that game awesome.

Swapping between a bunch of stuff, myself. Obra Dinn for PC, FF12 on PS4, and I just got the new Pokemon game for my son.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Walter said:
Wow, switching between platforms like some kind of maniac! :ubik: Your X-Wing experience is also mine. I've unfortunately never gotten into those games because of the confusing controls. Games like Colony Wars on PS1 are my brand of space sim.

That's me! I'm sticking to chronology vs. systems, so I'm going to be all over the place for the duration of this massive project of mine.

Walter said:
The core mechanics in SoM are solid. Charging up and then unleashing feels great.

I got the sense of that when I was playing it on my iPhone, but the controls were so terrible I never felt like I truly played the game.

Walter said:
But the game has a rough/unfinished quality to it, mostly the story, and that's because it IS a slightly unfinished (was a CD game converted to cartridge at last minute). So don't let that hold you back. The combat, visuals, and interplay between teammates is what makes that game awesome.

Cool! I'm looking forward to it. I'm hoping my wife can join me if she feels like it. She's never played an RPG before (she didn't grow up playing video games, but she's starting to get into them), so I'm not sure how it'll go over. She mainly likes watching me play.

Walter said:
Swapping between a bunch of stuff, myself. Obra Dinn for PC, FF12 on PS4, and I just got the new Pokemon game for my son.

Nice! I may give FFXII a shot on the PS4 again, but I haven't decided yet. Even if I do, it'll be a while. :void:

Started to play Gris because a friend of mine linked me to the soundtrack, which's excellent.

While I was visiting my family, I clocked in about 10/12 hours of Hollow Knight. What a game! It was challenging and by the end I got a bit overwhelmed by the map and getting beat by bosses. It's fun trying different routes to get to a spot or exploring the area. Playing the game didn't help get over my jet lag.

I know that I know :)

My post our worse
I just started playing some gmod as I finally got a pc that is pretty decent with a pretty good graphics card I gotta say with friends it still holds up nicely. I especially love the side modes you can play besides sandbox like TTT or prop hunt. All in all it was worth 10 dollars.

Griffith

Finished all the DLC in Spider-Man and am probably done with it because 100 percenting all the side shit for a few suits I'll wear for approximately 120 seconds isn't worth it (I know, I did it for the Spider-Verse suit and immediaitely stopped caring once I got it =). But, which PS4 game to start next...

The Last of Us Remastered
God of War
GTAV
Skyrim

I'm leaning toward God of War since it's the latest and very well-received, but Wally made a strong case for The Last of Us...

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
I'm leaning toward God of War since it's the latest and very well-received, but Wally made a strong case for The Last of Us...

God of War is pretty neat, especially if you have an interest in Nordic mythology. Having played the previous God of War games isn't required, but it's a plus.
That being said I liked The Last of Us when I played it too (although it's been a while).

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Griffith said:
Finished all the DLC in Spider-Man and am probably done with it because 100 percenting all the side shit for a few suits I'll wear for approximately 120 seconds isn't worth it (I know, I did it for the Spider-Verse suit and immediaitely stopped caring once I got it =). But, which PS4 game to start next...

The Last of Us Remastered
God of War
GTAV
Skyrim

Both are great games, but God of War has the better narrative. But, if you're wanting something quicker, then go with the Last of Us. The story is about 10-12 hours shorter than God of War, but has fantastic pacing. God of War gets a little slow at times, but overall is the better game.

Either way, you're going to enjoy yourself.

As for GTA 5, just consider it in the same vein as RDR2: a great game that suffers from pacing issues because Rockstar is trying to make it a movie. Still fun, though.

Top Bottom