What Are You Playing?

Griffith said:
I'm leaning toward God of War since it's the latest and very well-received, but Wally made a strong case for The Last of Us...

God of War has some great combat potential, you can get really deep into the multitude of skills and ways in which to kill enemies. It's probably among the best out of any action game out there, both in terms of feel and technicality.

A couple weeks ago, I played a few rounds of Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner on PS4. I'm was quite impressed with it; it still looks good even though it's over 15 years old now, and the upscaled textures make it look like it was made recently. I'd say I really wish a sequel would be made for it...but seeing the state Konami is in, that's a wish I know I'd regret.

Since then, I've been playing Divinity: Original Sin 2, one of many games I bought with my Christmas money. It had a bit of a slow start, and it can be pretty overwhelming at the beginning with the sheer number of ways you can build your character and team, but I'm really digging the old-school openness it's going for. I like how it has no set path you're supposed to follow as you are in a lot of RPGs made these days; it just kind of lets you figure things out on your own and find your own way, kind of like the first Fallouts.

Bleac said:
God of War has some great combat potential, you can get really deep into the multitude of skills and ways in which to kill enemies. It's probably among the best out of any action game out there, both in terms of feel and technicality.

It certainly is. You can slice enemies up with your chainblades, hurl lightning bolts, turn them into stone with the decapitated head of a gorgon, chop them with a big sword, and...oh, wait, you're talking about the 2018 game.

I really hate this fad of naming the latest iteration of a series after the series itself.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Looks like between the cutting edge AAA production values and gameplay potential that God of War is the pick, though I did grab the standalone Last of Us followup for a few bucks just now assuming I'll play and like the main game (but since Wally's last Bloodborne update was that he got to the earliest boss his recommendations can sit =). I already started it, but didn't get far because I wanted to try the RE2 demo before bed (I was kind of taking my time, semi-hoping it would run out :magni:). I'm going to get a second crack at it when I see how it plays on my PC anyway. It ran out right after I got the shotgun!

Johnstantine said:
As for GTA 5, just consider it in the same vein as RDR2: a great game that suffers from pacing issues because Rockstar is trying to make it a movie.

I thought the problem was, at least in the case of RDR2, they were trying to make it some kind of reality (or a novel). What I played of GTAV definitely felt like a movie though.

Cyrus Jong said:
...oh, wait, you're talking about the 2018 game.

I really hate this fad of naming the latest iteration of a series after the series itself.

I actually like it because that's kind of how the medium works anyway where you're often playing the latest iteration or interpretation rather than it being a long serialized story. That's great when it is plotted like that, but otherwise I don't want to feel like I have to play a bunch of dated, decade old games I won't enjoy in order to try the latest, and theoretically most modernly relevant, in the series (apologies to Rhombaad =). I'll probably never play Assassin's Creed because there's approximately 10,000 of them and I wouldn't know where to start (I have 2, which I hear is great and in Italy, but probably not so impressive now). Speaking of which, I picked up Uncharted 4 on sale too rather than the trilogy for the same price. Like I said, impress me with the new one because I'm not time traveling to play a bunch of dated games in a series I may not even like; again I heard 2 was the best, but unless it's a transcendent all time great game I'm not too keen on using my PS4 to play a bunch of remastered PS3 games.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Johnstantine said:
Both are great games, but God of War has the better narrative.

This is a very weird comparison to make, but are you saying that God of War has a "better narrative" than Last of Us? I haven't played GoW yet, but I find that quite surprising given Last of Us is Naughty Dog going pretty much all-in on its storytelling.

Griffith said:
Looks like between the cutting edge AAA production values and gameplay potential that God of War is the pick, though I did grab the standalone Last of Us followup for a few bucks just now assuming I'll play and like the main game

The PS4 version (Last Of Us Remastered) includes the DLC you just bought :sad: You might want to try a refund while you can.

Griffith said:
(but since Wally's last Bloodborne update was that he got to the earliest boss his recommendations can sit =).

:ganishka: man this is going to be a long road... I haven't touched the game since beating that boss either.

Griffith said:
I'll probably never play Assassin's Creed because there's approximately 10,000 of them and I wouldn't know where to start (I have 2, which I hear is great and in Italy, but probably not so impressive now).

I'd bet 2 would still hold up pretty well. But it's true that open-world games have progressed significantly since 2009.

I know that I know :)

My post our worse
Griffith said:
I thought the problem was, at least in the case of RDR2, they were trying to make it some kind of reality (or a novel).

The problem with RDR2 is that it turned into a mindless shooting galley and just to get a cut scene of dutch saying "I got a plan" or "we are nearly there" and who can forget "we just need a little more money" also not having fast travelling for most of the game because stupid me did not know you can buy a map with fast travelling,made me do one mission a day as I can only stomach tapping x for so long. And No R* I do not want to play a game that makes me take regular baths I mean just give me an option to skip it. I still think the game is good but I guess its like you said the core problems come from it trying to be like reality while we play games to escape from reality at least that's just me.

Walter said:
This is a very weird comparison to make, but are you saying that God of War has a "better narrative" than Last of Us? I haven't played GoW yet, but I find that quite surprising given Last of Us is Naughty Dog going pretty much all-in on its storytelling.

GoW and The Last Of Us tell two very different story's to try to say one story is better than the other one is pointless its just a matter of preference.You see the last of us follows this withered depressed man who has lost someone close to him and trys to connect with this girl and they start to bond together with one or two falling outs. GoW follows this withered depressed man who has lost someone close to him and trys to connect with this boy that is his son (big difference) they start to bond together with one or two falling outs. As you can see two completely different story types.

Griffith

Walter said:
The PS4 version (Last Of Us Remastered) includes the DLC you just bought :sad: You might want to try a refund while you can.

Oh shit, thanks for the head's up, hope I can even do that. That's so confusing because they sold both separately on the PS Store. :shrug:

Whoa, look at that little guy up there! :guts:

Walter said:
:ganishka: man this is going to be a long road... I haven't touched the game since beating that boss either.

C'mon duder, git gud again. :daiba:

Walter said:
I'd bet 2 would still hold up pretty well. But it's true that open-world games have progressed significantly since 2009.

It's just hard for it to have the same impact it did and not feel like some lesser version of an imitation I've already played, especially in such an oft-imitated genre that keeps evolving like that. I'm not even sure I'll dig Uncharted because I already played the Tomb Raider knockoffs. It really has to be something so unique to last beyond initial exposure.

I know that I know :) said:
The problem with RDR2 is that it turned into a mindless shooting galley and just to get a cut scene of dutch saying "I got a plan" or "we are nearly there" and who can forget "we just need a little more money" also not having fast travelling for most of the game because stupid me did not know you can buy a map with fast travelling,made me do one mission a day as I can only stomach tapping x for so long. And No R* I do not want to play a game that makes me take regular baths I mean just give me an option to skip it.

While I agree the core story gameplay isn't substantially different from "ride your horse and shoot at guys," which RDR1 did just as well, I don't think the plot is as reductive as the "I have a plan" memes suggest. Or at least that part of it's not really the point, but what that incites. Also, I never took a bath until 100+ hours in, purely on a lark, so not necessary at all, just like in reality. =)

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Walter said:

Yes, that sums it up. I prefer GoW over TLoU any day of the week. In terms of story, man, God of War just tears it up. I still find myself looking back and getting goosebumps over all the little tidbits of the lore they established, and can't wait for more games.

TLoU was a great game, but I honestly was pretty bored. It took me several weeks to beat because it just didn't have anything pulling me back. Once I got through it, I did end up enjoying it--just not as much as I did GoW.

As I said before, the Nordic content is basically my achilles heel, whereas zombie stuff is pretty empty and mundane at this point. I look forward to hearing your opinion on it when/if you play it (it's worth it).

My post our worse
Johnstantine said:
As I said before, the Nordic content is basically my achilles heel, whereas zombie stuff is pretty empty and mundane at this point. I look forward to hearing your opinion on it when/if you play it (it's worth it).

I prefer Greek mythology,but I cant wait for Thor an Odin to make an appearance and a possible fight between Thor and The World Serpent.Maybe we can see Odin eaten by a giant wolf.

Griffith said:
Also, I never took a bath until 100+ hours in, purely on a lark, so not necessary at all, just like in reality. =)

I took regularge baths in the game as I thought it would not allow me to play certain missions. I swear if I didn't made those trips to the bathhouse I could have saved 80hrs of playtime. Come to think of it this can apply to real life how many hours days I can save if I never took a bath , I can just use old Spice to smell decent yes this could work. Griffith I got a plan.

Johnstantine said:
As I said before, the Nordic content is basically my achilles heel,

I can't tell if that was or wasn't an intentional pun. Well played

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
"Finished" the RE2 30min demo. Good stuff! I got as far as the lickers, then time ran out. Seems pretty promising, and it makes me feel positive about Capcom. I mean, if they're going to return to the well, at least I can't really complain about it being this particular well of nostalgia. :daiba:

Griffith

Walter said:
"Finished" the RE2 30min demo. Good stuff! I got as far as the lickers, then time ran out. Seems pretty promising, and it makes me feel positive about Capcom. I mean, if they're going to return to the well, at least I can't really complain about it being this particular well of nostalgia. :daiba:

Yep, I've had reservations that this might be tired or coming a bit late, yet I knew exactly what to expect, it was exactly that, and I wasn't at all disappointed! The flashlight sequences and quiet moments of dread were especially effective. Also a bit of a dream game for me since RE4, and it looks like they've realized it with gusto. Looking forward to my next 30 minute demo on PC where I'll be trying my best to skip through. I don't really get the point of the 30 minute limit though; I wasn't going to get tired of it or get my fill just replaying the demo forever, and I'd be more likely to get amped up for the game if I could replay the demo again, especially after the game's available (trying to funnel me to a purchase page when I know I can't play it anyway = ineffective). I guess I get the psychology of what they're going for, don't give us a chance to lose interest, but I don't think it's necessary to make us desperate or, like, trick us into an impulse purchase.

Oh, and I got my Left Behind refund after a bit of trouble initiating the whole thing (basically had to call or chat with an agent; can't make it TOO easy =), but they didn't give me any trouble.

Griffith said:
I actually like it because that's kind of how the medium works anyway where you're often playing the latest iteration or interpretation rather than it being a long serialized story. That's great when it is plotted like that, but otherwise I don't want to feel like I have to play a bunch of dated, decade old games I won't enjoy in order to try the latest, and theoretically most modernly relevant, in the series (apologies to Rhombaad =). I'll probably never play Assassin's Creed because there's approximately 10,000 of them and I wouldn't know where to start (I have 2, which I hear is great and in Italy, but probably not so impressive now). Speaking of which, I picked up Uncharted 4 on sale too rather than the trilogy for the same price. Like I said, impress me with the new one because I'm not time traveling to play a bunch of dated games in a series I may not even like; again I heard 2 was the best, but unless it's a transcendent all time great game I'm not too keen on using my PS4 to play a bunch of remastered PS3 games.

There are better ways to denote a good starting point, spinoff, or subseries that newcomers can hop in from. Like using a subtitle, similar to what Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time or (looks at previous post) Divinity: Original Sin did, both of which were effectively reboots of their respective franchises. Recycling the franchise name as the sole title to me just comes across as a tad pretentious, likely to sow confusion, and pointless overall, since people are just going to designate different labels on them to avoid the second point, so what are they hoping to accomplish? Not to mention, where do you go with the titling from there? What's the inevitable sequel to God of Four going to be called? God of War 2? It's bad enough Hitman is doing that shit.

Concerning Assassin's Creed, I'd say you're not really missing much. I played the second one around the time of its release, and wasn't impressed then. And since it's one of the most widely-praised in the series, that doesn't bode well for the rest.

Cyrus Jong said:
Concerning Assassin's Creed, I'd say you're not really missing much. I played the second one around the time of its release, and wasn't impressed then. And since it's one of the most widely-praised in the series, that doesn't bode well for the rest.

I don't agree, Assassin's Creed games are a must-play in my opinion, except the ones from Black Flag which I didn't like, to Origins which was really good in my opinion. The second one was particularly impressive because of the enormous changes it brought compared to the first one, not only from a graphical point of view, but also thanks to all the new features and to how the story continued.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Cyrus Jong said:
Recycling the franchise name as the sole title to me just comes across as a tad pretentious, likely to sow confusion, and pointless overall, since people are just going to designate different labels on them to avoid the second point, so what are they hoping to accomplish? Not to mention, where do you go with the titling from there? What's the inevitable sequel to God of Four going to be called? God of War 2? It's bad enough Hitman is doing that shit.

It doesn't make any sense for, say, a database, or an archivist's shelf. But it makes perfect sense from a business perspective. It's a marketing decision that definitively signals players can jump on without all the cumulative sequel baggage that Griff just described.

Now take that logic and throw it in the trash for something like the latest Berserk TV series, which was named Berserk (2016/17), and yet IS NOT a great starting point for newer fans. Better yet, just throw the whole thing in the trash and forget it existed. Easier for everyone.

My post our worse
Walter said:
which was named Berserk (2016/17)
Speak not the Berserk (2016,17)
Draw not the Berserk (2016,17)
Write not the Berserk (2016,17)
Sculpt not the Berserk (2016,17)
Sing not the Berserk (2016,17)
Call not the Berserk (2016,17)name
Best Be careful,also to justify this spoiler tag Han solo dies Luke sky walker as well :slan:
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
The only resident evil games I played where resident evil 4 and 5 (we do not talk about 6).I guess ill give the RE2 demo a try since it seems to be easier to control then the original.

MiyamotoPuck said:
I don't agree, Assassin's Creed games are a must-play in my opinion.

I personally do not care the assassin's creed franchise I played bits of black flag got pretty far but got bored quit now the disc is collecting dust in some corner in my room. And then I played Assassin's creed unity oh god it was so bad I wish I could snap the disc in two but it was a digital download, and then Assassin's creed Egypt came out and then I lost hope . For me Assassin's creed games are a most avoid that's just me I can see the appeal but I am tired of them. Moreover I am tired of these games that come out every other year like call of duty, Assassin's creed,Battlefield,some generic zombie game, (last of us,maybe RE2 being the only expectations) and I am tired of people just eating it up and influencing this type of marketing like they have to buy the next big thing or they will be left out the loop.I hope future games like cyberpunk 2077,last of us 2, will show gaming company's that the idea is to not just to make a game that is just going to make money,but for it to actually last and be remembered in 3 years no one is gonna remember call of duty WW2(I bet people do not remember it now), or black ops 4.So ill keep my 60 dollars and save it for a game that matters.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
MiyamotoPuck said:
I don't agree, Assassin's Creed games are a must-play in my opinion, except the ones from Black Flag which I didn't like, to Origins which was really good in my opinion. The second one was particularly impressive because of the enormous changes it brought compared to the first one, not only from a graphical point of view, but also thanks to all the new features and to how the story continued.

Assassin's Creed is the most boring, droll franchise I've played in my life. It blows my mind that you didn't like Black Flag, considering it's one of the most highly regarded installments in the series. Origins and Odyssey were just as boring, but in a bigger setting. I don't get even the small amount of acclaim they got.

My post our worse
Johnstantine said:
Assassin's Creed is the most boring, droll franchise I've played in my life. It blows my mind that you didn't like Black Flag, considering it's one of the most highly regarded installments in the series. Origins and Odyssey were just as boring, but in a bigger setting. I don't get even the small amount of acclaim they got.
:shrug: says it in the name also Black Flag was alright for me,however I have not tried out the prior games so it wouldn't be right for me to say it is the best game in the series. Also what does karma do?

Griffith

Cyrus Jong said:
There are better ways to denote a good starting point, spinoff, or subseries that newcomers can hop in from. Like using a subtitle, similar to what Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time or (looks at previous post) Divinity: Original Sin did, both of which were effectively reboots of their respective franchises. Recycling the franchise name as the sole title to me just comes across as a tad pretentious, likely to sow confusion, and pointless overall, since people are just going to designate different labels on them to avoid the second point, so what are they hoping to accomplish? Not to mention, where do you go with the titling from there? What's the inevitable sequel to God of Four going to be called? God of War 2? It's bad enough Hitman is doing that shit.

Walter said:
It doesn't make any sense for, say, a database, or an archivist's shelf. But it makes perfect sense from a business perspective. It's a marketing decision that definitively signals players can jump on without all the cumulative sequel baggage that Griff just described.

Yep, and while I agree subtitles are better than numbered sequels, they can still leave things muddled in the long run, especially for the uninitiated. My point precisely is I don't want to be awash in a slew of sequels, spinoffs, and side quests while having no idea which is which, and which is important or preeminent, versus something only a hardcore fan could love. When you drop all that shit and bestow it the series title period, pretension fully intended, you're telling me you've got the goods and, "THIS IS THE FLAGSHIP, BABY!" :badbone:

Look at DOOM (2016 :iva:) for a recent example. Would that have been better off as DooM 4? Or Doom Eternal?
gutsbarf.gif
But yeah, it used to bug me from that historian's perspective Walter alluded to, but for immediate practical purposes I've come to appreciate it.

As for the Assassin's Creed debate, I tried 2 and 4 but didn't get far in either. I heard a lot of good buzz around Origins, and especially Odyssey, which is probably what I would try if I gave it another chance... until the next one, since they seemingly come out more regularly than the latest yearly sports games. =) That's a problem, it just seems like an assembly line franchise at this point. I'm looking for "special" here and by definition these are not (counting handheld/mobile and all that shit it's been 21 AC games in 12 years, almost 2 games per year... yeesh).

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
As for the Assassin's Creed debate, I tried 2 and 4 but didn't get far in either. I heard a lot of good buzz around Origins, and especially Odyssey, which is probably what I would try if I gave it another chance...

AC2 was my favorite, easily. Ezio is a great character with an interesting arc. Personally, I can't remember playing one of those games since 3, which I don't think I even put more than 2 hours in but that still wasn't long enough to escape the tutorial. My god, what a train wreck that game was... But Origins is on my list now that I have a PS4.

Griffith said:
until the next one, since they seemingly come out more regularly than the latest yearly sports games. =) That's a problem, it just seems like an assembly line franchise at this point. I'm looking for "special" here and by definition these are not (counting handheld/mobile and all that shit it's been 21 AC games in 12 years, almost 2 games per year... yeesh).

Historically, Ubisoft has spat out mainline AC games once per year. But they took 2 years to make Origins, which was a step in the right direction from everything that I've heard, providing a much-needed refresh for the same old tired mechanics. Odyssey came out just 1 year later, and seems to suffer from a quantity:quality problem.

I personally do not care the assassin's creed franchise I played bits of black flag got pretty far but got bored quit now the disc is collecting dust in some corner in my room. And then I played Assassin's creed unity oh god it was so bad I wish I could snap the disc in two but it was a digital download, and then Assassin's creed Egypt came out and then I lost hope .

As I see it, you didn't try the right ones, except for Origins which was a big renewal in the series, heavily inspired by The Witcher 3. If it's about the scenario, it wasn't the most interesting one but it's not what this game is all about, so I'm not sure to understand your loss of hope.

Johnstantine said:
Walter said:
Historically, Ubisoft has spat out mainline AC games once per year. But they took 2 years to make Origins, which was a step in the right direction from everything that I've heard, providing a much-needed refresh for the same old tired mechanics. Odyssey came out just 1 year later, and seems to suffer from a quantity:quality problem.

And it blows my mind too. For me, Black Flag was the most boring one, and almost made me gave up until, as Walter said, the refreshment that Origins was. There are few bad apples, but to go as far as to say it is the most boring franchise...
And again as Walter said, I'm only talking about the mainline games here. About Odyssey, it seems to be a mere copy of Origins, I probably won't buy it and wait to see what the next one will be about.

In my opinion, one of the main purpose of an Assassin's Creed game is to take you on a journey, and it does it pretty well. Of course I'm not saying it's the best franchise, that wouldn't be true, but I couldn't stand idle without defending it. If they were truly bad games, I think they wouldn't have the success they actually have. To each his taste I guess. :serpico:

My post our worse
MiyamotoPuck said:
As I see it, you didn't try the right ones, except for Origins which was a big renewal in the series, heavily inspired by The Witcher 3. If it's about the scenario, it wasn't the most interesting one but it's not what this game is all about, so I'm not sure to understand your loss of hope.

I just seen the game as being more of the same thus causing me to lose hope. What I mean by this is the lazy mission design plague by most Assassins creed games for example the mission type of follow this guy and listen in on his conversation these missions are more common then you think.I hope your right and there is some diamonds in the ruff for this franchise as I think the idea of Assassins creed is cool maybe ill try out the second and third ones.

Griffith

Walter said:
AC2 was my favorite, easily. Ezio is a great character with an interesting arc.

Yeah, I didn't stop playing because it wasn't good or anything, I think it just got lost in the shuffle. Maybe I'll revisit it.

Walter said:

I didn't even know a lot of the sub-titled ones over the past few years were still mainline games until Origins because they started coming out so fast and furious after IV that I initially thought they were DLC or spinoffs. So, there's an argument for the number system! They certainly can't just call one "Assassin's Creed" any time soon, until they kill this goose and revive years later.

MiyamotoPuck said:
About Odyssey, it seems to be a mere copy of Origins, I probably won't buy it and wait to see what the next one will be about.

You and Walter have me refocused on Origins now as a potential reentry point. I'll wait until it's a bargain though because I have plenty to play already.

What I mean by this is the lazy mission design plague by most Assassins creed games for example the mission type of follow this guy and listen in on his conversation these missions are more common then you think.

I can understand, I don't really like these kind of missions either. But there is really not many of them in Origins if I remember correctly.

Griffith said:
You and Walter have me refocused on Origins now as a potential reentry point. I'll wait until it's a bargain though because I have plenty to play already.

As I already said, the scenario is not the best feature in this one, but it's not a bad one either. I think it's a cool game to play, exploring the world is really enjoyable and there are some interesting side quests. It has a more developed RPG style than the previous games, but stealth is not as important. If you think you could like it, it's worth it in my opinion.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Just found out the beta for Skyrim multiplayer has came out,but then I realize I have no friends :judo:.

If you had told me that Skyrim had multiplayer since launch, I'd have believed you :ganishka:

My post our worse
Walter said:
If you had told me that Skyrim had multiplayer since launch, I'd have believed you :ganishka:

Can't tell if you think I'm trying to mislead you or not :shrug:,but here's something to erase any further doubts If you or anyone had them
https://www.pcgamer.com/the-8-player-co-op-mod-for-skyrim-is-entering-closed-beta/
Sorry that I neglected to say it was a mod or that it's a closed beta currently,so there is still some time to find some friends.

Top Bottom