What Are You Playing?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
No I merely meant that I didn't know multiplayer Skyrim didn't already exist, nor that it would be a substantial new feature here in 2019.

I know that I know :)

My post our worse
Johnstantine said:
Making my way through the Uncharted series. 1-3 are down, starting on 4. Easily one of the funnest franchises I've ever played!
Cool I played through all of them have not started the dlc for uncharted 4 yet but I'm thinking of starting it soon.

I’m knocking out Rise of the Tomb Raider before I start Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

I didn’t think the 2013 reboot was much of a Tomb Raider game, but I took it as essentially a demo of their talent. I was pretty excited for RotTR because the 2013 reboot showed tons of promise, and... it’s not that great.

Whoever is making this trilogy has all the right skills. Their dungeon/tomb designs are incredible. The puzzles are on the easier end of the spectrum but hard enough that I feel real satisfaction when I complete them. The inventive new ways to explore the world are awesome. The world/tombs are gorgeous.

All of that talent that could, and should, be used in making the greatest TR game ever made is being completely wasted. The tomb raiding aspect of the game is still optional. They added bonus abilities as trophies for completing each tomb so they’re not completely pointless like in the first game, but most of the abilities aren’t that great anyways so they’re still kind of pointless. The combat is good but inconsistent. I play Lara like a stealther. There are some times when the game lets her kill like a master ninja and other times its like the enemies are psychic. And the story is pretty meh like the first game’s. But they just reused the exact same story, with changed superficial details, so I guess that was unavoidable.

I’m probably being a bit harsh, but it sucks because this was supposed to be the game where Lara Croft becomes the Lara Croft we know and love. Instead, RotTR is essentially them just kicking the can down the road. Oh well. They added a Tomb Raider 3 outfit so I can daydream about what could have been as I endure the remainder of the game.

(This team needs to remake/update some of the old TR games now that this trilogy is finished though. I can’t even imagine how awesome it’d be if they took The Last Revelation, kept the dialogue/plot, and just worked their magic on the tombs and world. It’d be incredible.)

Finally got myself a PS4 (found a good deal for a used Slim 1T on eBay) and picked up Dragon’s Dogma Dark Arisen at GameStop. Played just a bit last night, chose the “literally Guts” player character preset, and for my main pawn I went with my girl Farnese.

Sareth said:
Finally got myself a PS4 (found a good deal for a used Slim 1T on eBay) and picked up Dragon’s Dogma Dark Arisen at GameStop.

I played around 60 hours of the PC version and had a good time. The combat and exploration are both amazing assets of this game. I'm not a huge fan of the pawn system, but overall it's a great action RPG.

Sareth said:
Played just a bit last night, chose the “literally Guts” player character preset, and for my main pawn I went with my girl Farnese.

Not coincidentally, the game developers are fans of Berserk. As you might already know, there was even a collaboration between Capcom and the producers of the Golden Age Arc films to introduce Berserk costumes in the original version of the game, but they were ultimately removed because the licensing period expired or something.

That was one of the reasons I had bought this game, and felt kinda disappointed to find out they are no longer accessible. Nonetheless, the game proved more than worth it anyway, and you can still create Berserk characters with a satisfactory degree of accuracy if you really want to. I remember seeing other people's pawns made after Farnese and Schierke and they didn't look half bad.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Bleac said:
. I remember seeing other people's pawns made after Farnese and Schierke and they didn't look half bad.

Yeah it's a cool feeling when you see a random Griffith or Farnese wandering around the game world. I really enjoyed my time with that game, even though it is REALLY wonky. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2UrLNP3ruw

My post our worse
Just started playing Max Payne and I got to say it still hold up nicely. However it's pain to run on a windows 10 computer,and you got to download a sound fix file because the sound in the original doesn't seem to work.But after all those fixes I gotta say the gun-play is awesome mainly because of the bullet time mode,but its still gets pretty challenging at points since up close an enemy can kill you in one good shot.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Finished Uncharted 1-4 last night. Had an absolute blast playing them. The characters, gameplay, and stories were all just so fun and endearing!

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
So far I haven't really been able to get into any of these new PS4 games I got and am just thinking about playing the RE2 remake! Another reminder not to try to force yourself to play other people's favorite games but the one's that grab you.

Speaking of which, for Walter:

https://kotaku.com/bloodborne-has-clicked-for-me-and-it-only-took-four-ye-1831951256

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
just thinking about playing the RE2 remake!

I've been daydreaming about the new RE2 as well. I'll probably pick that up in lieu of Red Dead 2 for now, at this point.

Speaking of which, for Walter:

https://kotaku.com/bloodborne-has-clicked-for-me-and-it-only-took-four-ye-1831951256

It's just general Souls fatigue for me though :shrug:

Griffith

Walter said:
I've been daydreaming about the new RE2 as well. I'll probably pick that up in lieu of Red Dead 2 for now, at this point.

It's probably the more quick and accessible experience, and definitely shorter from what I've read. When you're ready to lose yourself in a game world for a while I still heartily recommend RDR2 though. Here's the funny thing about my own RE2 daydreaming: I still haven't played my PC half hour because I don't want to rush around (plus it genuinely makes me uneasy, but I want to keep it that way too!). I'd prefer just being able to slowly take my time with it, "Helloooo, is anybody around that corner...?" :magni:

It's just general Souls fatigue for me though :shrug:

I think it's Souls homicide at this point. Put out an APB on King Vendrick and the Dark Souls II gang!

Right now I'm playing to Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition on Switch and Killer7 on PC. Having a great time on both. I did Killer7 back in the days, so it's fun to do it again.
I hope to receive my Resident Evil 2 tomorrow... :guts:

My post our worse
The Beast of Darkness said:
I hope to receive my Resident Evil 2 tomorrow... :guts:

That's cool meanwhile ill be here with Resident evil 4 :judo:

Anyways I got to work up the courage to play it anyway I mean have you seen the Mr.X game play that stuffs nightmare fuel

I know that I know :) said:
Anyways I got to work up the courage to play it anyway I mean have you seen the Mr.X game play that stuffs nightmare fuel

I did my best to avoid watching videos regarding Mr.X, I want to get the full "surprise" when I'll come across that fucker. :serpico:
But yeah, I saw his expressionless face and he looks creepy (with his new little hat). Being chased by Dolph Lundgren's clone will give us nightmares for sure. :ganishka:

Griffith

My plans for tonight: find time to play RE2 demo on PC to see how it runs and if it's good grab it so I can download by 9pm. Otherwise, getting the PS4 version is a potentially more complicated process and puts me in direct competition for the living room, but I'll do what I have to. =)

My post our worse
Griffith said:
My plans for tonight: find time to play RE2 demo on PC to see how it runs and if it's good grab it so I can download by 9pm.

if you have a decent graphics card like a gtx 1060 or 1070 it should run fine on medium/high settings with a good fps maybe a gtx 970 but that's pushing it im guessing you have a decent enough rig to even consider testing out the RE2 demo so you should be fine :badbone:

Griffith said:
Otherwise, getting the PS4 version is a potentially more complicated process and puts me in direct competition for the living room, but I'll do what I have to. =)
If it comes to that I wish you the best of luck those almost never go well.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
My plans for tonight: find time to play RE2 demo on PC to see how it runs and if it's good grab it so I can download by 9pm. Otherwise, getting the PS4 version is a potentially more complicated process and puts me in direct competition for the living room, but I'll do what I have to. =)

You could always do what I did for a while, move the console to your PC room and hook it up to your monitor. Not optimal, but it works.

Griffith

Walter said:
You could always do what I did for a while, move the console to your PC room and hook it up to your monitor. Not optimal, but it works.

Oh, I wouldn't even have to move it, I already have an HDMI going from the computer to the TV, so hooking that to the PS4 would be simple... less simple is that my monitor only has DVI and VGA connections. I guess I could buy an adapter; cheaper than another TV. I probably will because I did spring for the PS4 copy after the PC version gave me some attitude (plus I figure it'll have a special edition on sale for $10 on steam in a year or two if I HAVE to have it on PC someday), and it won't be the last time I want to play a PS4 game in the privacy of my computer room.

Skeleton said:
RE2 has dropped. See you on the other side, boys!

Way more fun than the demo, and though I've done well so far, my handgun ammo is feeling scarce and I don't want to waste anything better just yet with those Lickers waiting to give me a big wet kiss. Also, this thing isn't just a great nostalgia trip down RE2 memory lane, but late 90's memory lane in general. The gas prices, the giant CRTs, the CDs, it's all glorious! And man, some of the dialogue still has that classic RE charm, like Leon's understated reactions to truly, shockingly horrifying things (*blood smeared all over the floor* "Something's not right here." Uh... DUH! And my personal favorite, "Hang in there!" Yeah, maybe the guy's lower body will grow back =). BTW, making the knife so useful yet disposable was mean. :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
And man, some of the dialogue still has that classic RE charm, like Leon's understated reactions to truly, shockingly horrifying things (*blood smeared all over the floor* "Something's not right here." Uh... DUH! And my personal favorite, "Hang in there!"

Yeah I was really impressed by the understated voice work that was going on even in the non-conematic scenes. Leon's interstitial "Whew..." catching his breath after seeing something horrifying. A nice, small touch.

I plan to pick up the game tonight!

Griffith

Aazealh said:
Oh wow, the game's already out? Welp, guess I'm going to have to pause my Bloodborne playthrough for a while. :iva:

Looking for an escape hatch, huh? I don't blame you, only the TOUGHEST button pushers and monster clickers like me can really handle it. :badbone:

Walter said:
Yeah I was really impressed by the understated voice work that was going on even in the non-conematic scenes. Leon's interstitial "Whew..." catching his breath after seeing something horrifying. A nice, small touch.

I did appreciate the "regular" performances aside from those moments I cited, and that's more on the writing and direction (his reaction to the first Licker victim was apropos). Anyway, they seem like real people, mostly, instead of voice actors going to 11 all the time. I saw some reviews complaining about them not bringing back the original cast and thought, with perhaps the exception of Alyson Court, "Really...?"

Walter said:
I plan to pick up the game tonight!

Cool, you doing PC or PS4? I'm going to miss the ability to hide in the other room and play when the wife and kid are distracted, but it's not like it's such a long or hard game I need to be going at it every free moment. Otherwise, it'll force me to play when I'm truly by myself in the dark of night on my big screen, and I won't be futzing with PC settings, so I'm hoping the quality of immersion and overall experience will be much enhanced this way (and of course I should be playing RE2 on my PlayStation; it's 1998, duh =).

Top Bottom