What Are You Playing?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
I saw some reviews complaining about them not bringing back the original cast and thought, with perhaps the exception of Alyson Court, "Really...?"

There was some drama over the voice actors because the cast Capcom went with were selected during the voice actor strike last year, effectively barring the original members from joining. Reviewers calling that out is their way of saying they don't abide by Capcom skirting the lines. Business ethics aside, I really like what I've heard from the (2.5, lol) people I encountered in the demo.

Cool, you doing PC or PS4?

PS4. I can run it on my PC, but I have a decent sound system and a big screen for the PS4, so it made the decision easy. Now I just have to wait for nightfall to kick things off :magni:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Looking for an escape hatch, huh? I don't blame you, only the TOUGHEST button pushers and monster clickers like me can really handle it. :badbone:

I've actually found it rather easy so far. Speaking of, I hope you're playing RE2 in Hardcore mode, like I am. :carcus:

I never thought I'd find it harder to deal with zombies than the cerberus in any Resi game, their reflexes and durability make them a lot more threatening than in older games when you could stroll past them.

Also Mr X is a friggin nightmare in this game, since he can follow you almost anywhere and downing him only stuns him instead of making him retreat. However, the game seems exceptionally generous given how much ammunition I've been wasting.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Walter said:
There was some drama over the voice actors because the cast Capcom went with were selected during the voice actor strike last year, effectively barring the original members from joining. Reviewers calling that out is their way of saying they don't abide by Capcom skirting the lines.

Yeah, I saw that angle, but I'm already neglecting my OWN family to play these games so I'm not going to invest much feeling in the back and forth between the union and Capcom.

Walter said:
I really like what I've heard from the (2.5, lol) people I encountered in the demo.

:guts:

Walter said:
. I can run it on my PC, but I have a decent sound system and a big screen for the PS4, so it made the decision easy. Now I just have to wait for nightfall to kick things off :magni:

I'll be right there too after I get home from work, hopefully by 10pm. I'm exempt so I don't even get paid for the extra hours, let alone overtime. I might as well work for Rockstar. :judo:

Aazealh said:
I've actually found it rather easy so far. Speaking of, I hope you're playing RE2 in Hardcore mode, like I am. :carcus:

:ganishka:

:farnese:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I know that I know :) said:
That's cool but our you only using a knife for that playthrough :carcus:

This game follows the Resident Evil 1 remake as far as knives go: they're expendable emergency items, not a regular weapon you can use to save ammo.

I know that I know :)

My post our worse
Aazealh said:
This game follows the Resident Evil 1 remake as far as knives go: they're expendable emergency items, not a regular weapon you can use to save ammo.
So no knife only runs :sad:
Well new challenge beat the game on hardcore without taking damage.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
So no knife only runs :sad:

Yeah, you can get a few swings/stabs out of each knife, but you can't beat the bosses that way or anything, and there are segments where you only have a handgun available.

Well new challenge beat the game on hardcore without taking damage.

I think there's an achievement for not using healing items, but for now I'll stick to beating the game. :iva:

Griffith

Aazealh said:
Yeah, you can get a few swings/stabs out of each knife

They're still so valuable for dispatching downed enemies that I use them exclusively for cleaning house and switch to flash grenades or something for the emergency situations. Otherwise, if I accidentally didn't switch or fucked up and unexpectedly get grabbed I'll just take the bite rather than waste a knife (unless it's all but done for or I'm going to die).

I think there's an achievement for not using healing items, but for now I'll stick to beating the game. :iva:

If I recall in the old REs it paid special attention and penalty to First Aid sprays. Eh, I never got a good rating anyway. Not the point to me; if anything, you should get extra credit for minimizing your risk and blasting everything to Hell. =)

Update:

Aazealh said:
you can get a few swings/stabs out of each knife, but you can't beat the bosses that way or anything

The first boss fight ended with me furiously charging and slashing my way to victory while on DANGER, completely out of ammo and health items (I didn't bring them lol). It was rad. :guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
They're still so valuable for dispatching downed enemies that I use them exclusively for cleaning house and switch to flash grenades or something for the emergency situations.

Yeah I mean the best thing is to just not get grabbed to begin with, because even the flash grenades can be much more useful than that.

Griffith said:
If I recall in the old REs it paid special attention and penalty to First Aid sprays. Eh, I never got a good rating anyway. Not the point to me; if anything, you should get extra credit for minimizing your risk and blasting everything to Hell. =)

Haha, yeah doing challenge runs is really just that: challenging how you can constraint yourself. Back in the day I got to Rank S in the first two games but I doubt I'll have the patience/tenacity to do it with this new one. It's a neat game, but it's more of a straight remake than Resident Evil (2002) was IMHO.

Griffith said:
The first boss fight ended with me furiously charging and slashing my way to victory while on DANGER, completely out of ammo and health items (I didn't bring them lol). It was rad. :guts:

Oh wow, nice!
thumbup.gif

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Really having a blast with RE2. I'm only just leaving the jail now, so there's still a lot to chew through.
Got my first taste of Mr. X and it did not disappoint.

I had played through the game once back in 2000 I think, so this remake has been a fresh experience for me. Super impressed by the visuals, keeps me on my toes, and it just seems to have a great pacing. This is of course where the story in the series starts to go off the deep end (or at least, begins peering over the cliff into where it'll end up soon enough), but I appreciate the balance between the traditional "horror" story and the megacorp-conspiracy stuff, and how it iterates those "bigger" story elements as you progress.

Aazealh said:
It's a neat game, but it's more of a straight remake than Resident Evil (2002) was IMHO.

If that's what this represents, then I think I'm okay with that. Between the REmake and the original RE, it always felt like that game required more creative updates, given the state it started in ("Alone in the Dark" but Capcom).

Still, I want Capcom to capitalize on this momentum with another new experience, not another remake.

Griffith

Aazealh said:
Yeah I mean the best thing is to just not get grabbed to begin with, because even the flash grenades can be much more useful than that.

I haven't even tried them; the idea of stunning my enemies is unappealing. Though I could see it being especially useful for groups and/or fast movers.

Haha, yeah doing challenge runs is really just that: challenging how you can constraint yourself. Back in the day I got to Rank S in the first two games but I doubt I'll have the patience/tenacity to do it with this new one.

Damn, that's a pain (and speaks to old school difficulty/inconvenience that saves were limited by default =). I'm surprised you didn't do it for 3 too.

It's a neat game, but it's more of a straight remake than Resident Evil (2002) was IMHO.

That's probably true, but I'm much more observant to the specifics of RE2 than 1, so every little difference seems more dramatic to me.
I recall Ben having a bit more to do, but maybe he'll show more in story B. BTW, he wasn't too smart immediately revealing his adversarial relationship with RPD, but then neither was Leon under the circumstances ("gotta ask my boss, duh"). I liked that he actually wanted to be locked up in the original. =)

Oh wow, nice!
thumbup.gif

The best part was when I went back and realized the room was loaded with ammo and healing stuff I didn't waste in the fight! Much more efficient than I thought. :ganishka:

Walter said:
I had played through the game once back in 2000 I think, so this remake has been a fresh experience for me. Super impressed by the visuals, keeps me on my toes, and it just seems to have a great pacing. This is of course where the story in the series starts to go off the deep end (or at least, begins peering over the cliff into where it'll end up soon enough), but I appreciate the balance between the traditional "horror" story and the megacorp-conspiracy stuff, and how it iterates those "bigger" story elements as you progress.

I mean, the crazy is really baked in from the start, if anything I feel like RE2 is almost a little more gritty and down to earth than it's predecessor, the insane police station architecture aside (if I recall the original had no restrooms =). It felt much closer to a real world to me because the locations and characters weren't so exotic. RE1 is basically super cops exploring a haunted mansion explained by science fiction.

Still, I want Capcom to capitalize on this momentum with another new experience, not another remake.

Well, I don't remember if you talked about playing it, but Resident EVII_ definitely qualifies. It plays almost like an indie game with a AAA budget; think Gone Home with guns and a much more dysfunctional family. =)

But if I had to guess where they go in this vein it'd naturally be Resident Evil 3, the last one with the pre-rendered backgrounds they can't easily port or upgrade. It has a lot of potential in this style too. It was kind of the Action Horror version of RE before 4 took it to it's logical extreme. Aaz could be even more excited for that one. :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
but then neither was Leon under the circumstances ("gotta ask my boss, duh").

Genuinely not sure how this line was NOT meant to elicit a laugh, under the circumstances :ganishka:

Griffith

Walter said:
Genuinely not sure how this line was NOT meant to elicit a laugh, under the circumstances :ganishka:

It's like they updated the bad dialogue to contemporary standards as well. The lines I relate to most are Leon's annoyed reactions to zombies in his path, "Oh great," and my favorite, his resigned, "Goddamnit." It's like we're the same person.

On fleeing Mr. X: I don't like this game anymore. :sad:

Griffith

Walter said:
https://twitter.com/mahadopower/status/1089547492742426624?s=19

There it is (and why the hell wasn't the guy going around the back anyway?).

I was so happy when Ada nailed him with that SWAT truck and I knew and I'd get a break from him for a while (plus the aforementioned cheese when she deadpans, "Nothing dies down here!" like the service is lacking =). When he followed me into the main hall I just assumed he could go anywhere and didn't realize I could still wait him out/lose him in the other dedicated safe/save rooms. That led to a prolonged chase all throughout the station as I wondered how I'd actually find items, solve puzzles and progress. :magni:

My least favorite thing about the game might be the inconsistent and "gamey" way the enemy behavior patterns, and strangely, the lighting change from area to area (like the east hallway versus main hall). On the roof I couldn't get zombies to follow me up the stairs, even if they lunged over they'd just turn around and go back down, and the most egregious example of the light phenomenon was when you're on the blacked out third floor of the main hall and for some reason the whole hall is lit that way despite the lights being on the 1st and 2nd floor (and you can see this entering/exiting any special lit room). Fix your mood lighting filters, Capcom. =)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Back to the drawing board I guess :farnese:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJcp0dkF86I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBL5NZlu5jc

There's dozens of these on there.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
On fleeing Mr. X: I don't like this game anymore. :sad:
Griffith said:
I haven't even tried them; the idea of stunning my enemies is unappealing. Though I could see it being especially useful for groups and/or fast movers.

Or Mr. X. :slan: Useful to just go through him.

Griffith said:
Damn, that's a pain (and speaks to old school difficulty/inconvenience that saves were limited by default =). I'm surprised you didn't do it for 3 too.

I know I replayed that one a few times (plus the Mercenaries mode) but going overboard with RE2 ("no save" runs, no retracing steps...) had kind of vaccinated me.

Griffith said:
That's probably true, but I'm much more observant to the specifics of RE2 than 1, so every little difference seems more dramatic to me.
I recall Ben having a bit more to do, but maybe he'll show more in story B. BTW, he wasn't too smart immediately revealing his adversarial relationship with RPD, but then neither was Leon under the circumstances ("gotta ask my boss, duh"). I liked that he actually wanted to be locked up in the original. =)

Yeah there's really quite a few changes in truth, and I don't think they're necessarily all for the better. I'd be curious to see side by side playthroughs and comparisons. I'm sure there's some crazy people who are doing that already.

Griffith said:
I mean, the crazy is really baked in from the start, if anything I feel like RE2 is almost a little more gritty and down to earth than it's predecessor, the insane police station architecture aside (if I recall the original had no restrooms =). It felt much closer to a real world to me because the locations and characters weren't so exotic. RE1 is basically super cops exploring a haunted mansion explained by science fiction.

Haha, I don't know, it's the reverse for me: a crazy haunted mansion in some remote place that turns out to be a secret bioweapons lab is easier to accept than that insane police station and giant underground sewers facility. I still love both anyway. :guts:

Griffith said:
But if I had to guess where they go in this vein it'd naturally be Resident Evil 3, the last one with the pre-rendered backgrounds they can't easily port or upgrade. It has a lot of potential in this style too. It was kind of the Action Horror version of RE before 4 took it to it's logical extreme. Aaz could be even more excited for that one. :guts:

Haha yeah that'd be cool. It's a great game that people seem to underestimate. Jill is awesome and Nemesis is basically Mr X on steroids. A lot of its tricks and mechanics were reused in later games, including this remake. And it's also the last "classic" game in the series before Code Veronica shat the bed.

Griffith said:
It's like they updated the bad dialogue to contemporary standards as well. The lines I relate to most are Leon's annoyed reactions to zombies in his path, "Oh great," and my favorite, his resigned, "Goddamnit." It's like we're the same person.

Yeah I have to say I particularly enjoy the protagonist's (Claire or Leon) swearing whenever they come across enemies, that feels like what anyone would really say.

I know that I know :)

My post our worse
Just finished Max Payne 1 and now starting Max Payne 2 fall of Max Payne. I love the way the bodies rag doll all around the room.

Griffith said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJcp0dkF86I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBL5NZlu5jc

There's dozens of these on there.
:mozgus:

:shrug:

I finished Leon’s A scenario last night and have started Claire’s. I don’t know. I don’t dislike it, but it hasn’t blown my skirt up by any means. I’m withholding judgement until I complete Claire’s story though. My gut’s telling me it might ease my concerns (
For example, I feel like they really fucked over Willy B. by including Mr. X in the A scenario. The guy’s literally RE2’s main baddie, and the entire reason behind the game’s story, but by streamlining/condensing the story he’s become a (almost pointless, arbitrarily appearing) side character/villain. But maybe they give him more respect than a sad end-of-game info dump in Claire’s story since she deals with his daughter? I hope?
).

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Skeleton said:
I finished Leon’s A scenario last night and have started Claire’s. I don’t know. I don’t dislike it, but it hasn’t blown my skirt up by any means. I’m withholding judgement until I complete Claire’s story though. My gut’s telling me it might ease my concerns (
For example, I feel like they really fucked over Willy B. by including Mr. X in the A scenario. The guy’s literally RE2’s main baddie, and the entire reason behind the game’s story, but by streamlining/condensing the story he’s become a (almost pointless, arbitrarily appearing) side character/villain. But maybe they give him more respect than a sad end-of-game info dump in Claire’s story since she deals with his daughter? I hope?
).

I share your concerns. I will also say that so far what I've seen of Claire's "2nd run" feels less unique and more rehashed/condensed than what the original game's B scenarios were.
Including because by that point Mr. X is no longer a new and scary enemy, but a guy you've already dealt with as Leon.
I'll wait some more to give my verdict, but I don't agree with every change they've made.

I've finished Claire's B scenario yesterday evening.
The last two bosses were pretty impressive. Shooting G-Birkin's final form with the minigun felt great.
Tried the 4th Survivor's mode but with no success yet.

Griffith

Aazealh said:
Or Mr. X. :slan: Useful to just go through him.

Ah, it's sadly the thing I've wasted most, like I literally burned through my supply in a generic zombie hallway and haven't gotten more since. Plenty of grenades though, saved my ass escaping the jail.

Aazealh said:
Yeah there's really quite a few changes in truth, and I don't think they're necessarily all for the better. I'd be curious to see side by side playthroughs and comparisons. I'm sure there's some crazy people who are doing that already.

The best/worst case might be the brief reunion with Claire that in this version hardly seems as rewarding, but at least explains why they don't just continue together. Boy, they sure changed the tone of that gun store encounter! I like the old version and was kind of hoping it was a fakeout leading to a similar outcome lol (maybe on the way back =).

Aazealh said:
, I don't know, it's the reverse for me: a crazy haunted mansion in some remote place that turns out to be a secret bioweapons lab is easier to accept than that insane police station and giant underground sewers facility. I still love both anyway. :guts:

Well, part of it is that it's a more everyday setting and characters to build the foundation of crazy on, but also the government, even just locally, being totally twisted and involved is the pièce de résistance, now more than ever, "Welcome to corporate America." :ganishka:

Aazealh said:
Haha yeah that'd be cool. It's a great game that people seem to underestimate. Jill is awesome and Nemesis is basically Mr X on steroids. A lot of its tricks and mechanics were reused in later games, including this remake.

Turnaround button! I wish the dodge was in this one too, I keep wanting to avoid or push off zombies but you're basically stll vulnerable from behind even if you get around them.

Aazealh said:
And it's also the last "classic" game in the series before Code Veronica shat the bed.

It's an interesting discussion given their tortured co-development and role reversal. I think Nemesis works better exactly because it was supposed to be the smaller story, a side quest, rooted in the atmosphere of the first two, but leaner and meaner, and was then legitimized with Jill and the numerical designation. Code: Veronica, on the other hand, certainly expands on the story and gameplay ambitions of 2, but with decidedly mixed results that changed the franchise forever. In a perfect world they would have combined their efforts in a story featuring Jill escaping Raccoon City, Chris coming back to help her, and Nemesis as a Tyrantized Wesker (which was the water cooler theory back in high school, and still better than how his bio-weaponized story eventually played out in my opinion, "S.T.A.R.S!" =).

Aazealh said:
Yeah I have to say I particularly enjoy the protagonist's (Claire or Leon) swearing whenever they come across enemies, that feels like what anyone would really say.

It's definitely what *I* say when I see Mr. X break through a wall, "Jesus Christ!"

Skeleton said:
I finished Leon’s A scenario last night and have started Claire’s. I don’t know. I don’t dislike it, but it hasn’t blown my skirt up by any means. I’m withholding judgement until I complete Claire’s story though. My gut’s telling me it might ease my concerns
Aazealh said:
I share your concerns. I will also say that so far what I've seen of Claire's "2nd run" feels less unique and more rehashed/condensed than what the original game's B scenarios were.
Aazealh said:
I'll wait some more to give my verdict, but I don't agree with every change they've made.

Well, I'm quite enjoying it and am not nearly as far into as you guys (just to the sewers) but I'll go ahead and call it now: it seems like a lesser version of the game in a fancier, modern package. It's very streamlined, to the point I don't know what took them so long. It wasn't a huge game in the first place, but loomed larger due to the obstacles and hazards surrounding you and your general vulnerability and lack of options, but this version feels more condensed and empowering, whether that's because of certain scenario changes, more resources, or the style making it more approachable, I don't know. It's also a testament to how great and ambitious the original game was in the first place, especially the two CD A/B scenario stuff where one playthrough affected the next (the ZAPPING system, bro. ZAP!). That was pretty dramatic stuff at the time and I don't think they've topped it, or that tank style of RE, since (comparing videos yesterday I was even struck how decent the faces looked for a PS1 game, especially that Ada Wong :carcus:).

RE2 was basically the pinnacle, and this certainly doesn't supplant the original in my mind, like REmake could RE1, it's more like a cool offshoot for people that were already fans or an adaptation for those that weren't. The other night my wife mistook it for Resident Evil 7 and it struck me that it kind of feels like a standalone DLC for that or something. At least I would believe it, so far (and would be a little surprised if they don't release an RE7-style first person mode at some point, ala GTAV).

Top Bottom