Newegg (brag about your computer!)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I'm unsure mine fits into either category.

walterscomputer.jpg

I just picked up this bad boy a week ago~
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220605

Model
Brand ASUS
Series G Series
Model G51J-A1
General
Operating System Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
CPU Type Intel Core i7 720QM (1.6GHz)
Screen 15.6"
Memory Size 4GB DDR3
Hard Disk 640GB
Optical Drive DVD Super Multi
Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260M
Video Memory 1GB VRAM DDR3
Card slot 1 x Express Card
Dimensions 14.6" x 10.3" x 1.3-1.6"
Weight 7.26 lbs.
Other Features 30days Zero Bright Dot LCD
Carry Bag/Optical Mouse
CPU
CPU Type Intel Core i7
CPU Speed 720QM(1.60GHz)
Chipset
Chipset Intel PM55
Display
Screen Size 15.6"
Wide Screen Support Yes
Resolution 1920 x 1080
Operating Systems
Operating System Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Graphics
GPU/VPU NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260M
Video Memory 1GB VRAM DDR3
Graphic Type Dedicated Card
Hard Drive
HDD 640GB
HDD RPM 7200rpm
HDD Spec 2 x 320GB
Memory
Memory 4GB
Memory Type 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM
Memory Slot (Total) 2
Optical Drive
Optical Drive Type DVD Super Multi
Optical Drive Interface Integrated
Communications
LAN 10/100/1000Mbps
WLAN 802.11 bgn
Bluetooth Yes
Ports
Card Slot 1 x Express Card
USB 4
IEEE 1394 1
Video Port 1 x VGA, 1 x HDMI
Other port 1 x E-SATA
Audio Ports Yes
Audio
Audio Integrated Sound card
Speaker Internal Speakers
Input Device
Touchpad Yes
Keyboard Standard
Supplemental Drive
Card Reader 8-in-1 card reader: MMC / SD / Mini-SD / XD / Memory Stick / MS Pro / MS-Duo / MS-Pro-Duo
Webcam 2.0MP
Power
Battery 6-cell lithium ion

I hope it loves me as much as I love it!

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Walter said:
Well, I'm unsure mine fits into either category.
whatthefuckisthatthing.jpg
34154m.jpg

In other news, I really need to start saving for a computer. My laptop's processor holds everything back so horribly I can barely play ME1 and can't stream video at all.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Darklink286 said:
In other news, I really need to start saving for a computer. My laptop's processor holds everything back so horribly I can barely play ME1 and can't stream video at all.
You should check to see if you can replace the chip with a better one. If you dont feel up to the task of doing research for it, let me know what model it is and I can look it up.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Darklink286 said:

I concur. Anything preventing you from playing Mass Effect needs to be obliterated. Get a new computer for Christmas, don't uselessly delay what needs to be done!
N7.gif

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
Aazealh said:
Anything preventing you from playing Mass Effect needs to be obliterated. Get a new computer for Christmas, don't uselessly delay what needs to be done!
N7.gif

I wouldn't dilly dally if I were you. This is serious business. The ME police are here, EEEUUUUEEEEUUUUEEEEUUUU

I always thought putting together a computer would be cool + cost effecient. I just lack the guts to do it. So I bought a nice 24" Imac with the money I saved with Geico, It's been really great so far.

Walter, your mancrush for Void is getting a little out of hand...I mean, when you start decorating your computer like a giant brain... :ganishka:

SaiyajinNoOuji

Althoguh seriously Walter, what type of machine are you using? I ask because if you have some money to spare, you can upgrade your video card for very minimul.

You can get a 9800GT for 100 bucks!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150316

Just make sure you have a minimum of a 400w power supply.

That video card should hold you well if you have a desktop.

If you are using a Laptop for your gaming needs... :ganishka:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
SaiyajinNoOuji said:
Althoguh seriously Walter, what type of machine are you using? ...
If you are using a Laptop for your gaming needs... :ganishka:
Yeah, I thought it was pretty obvious I was talking about a desktop machine. They don't make 9600 GTs for laptops. And I'm talking about comparing down to microscopic levels the performance of video cards, so yeah ... I wouldn't be bothering with that sort of minutiae if I was shackled to a laptop with limited capabilities. That's why I thought it was funny you were asking me, so I decided to have some fun :iva:

btw, the 9800 you linked to can't really be considered much more powerful than my current card. It has double the stream processors, but nothing else. The core clock is actually slower than the 9600 (600MHz vs 650MHz)

I've decided to keep my current card for the time being. Especially in light of recent, expensive car trouble. :azan:

SaiyajinNoOuji

Walter said:
Yeah, I thought it was pretty obvious I was talking about a desktop machine. They don't make 9600 GTs for laptops.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/711346 :rakshas:

Also, 77 bucks (just noticed that its an open boxed item! for 90 bucks you can get a new one!)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102824R Sapphire, 4850 but then again it would only be good if you play at a higher screen resolution.

EDIT: Core clock can always be raised to get more out of it... which raises a few questions... have you tried to use the Nvidia control panel to raise the numbers on it? Also do you keep your drivers updated regularly? That can make a huge difference.

Walter, mine is the same card and the dude from BioWare said this:

http://meforums.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=710074&forum=144&sp=105 said:
The 9600GT can handle the game at 60FPS pretty steadily provided the rest of the system isn't a bottleneck at least, so your only worry is the CPU.

My only worry is the CPU, since mine is a cheap-ass Athlon 64 x2 6000+ 3.0 Ghz. But it ran ME1 smoothly, so ME2 will probably run at 60 fps too. I wouldn't worry, check out the link I quoted from, he's detailing stuff like this on the same post he talked about 9600GT.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I'm not TOO worried. I have a Q6600 at 2.4 GHz. Hopefully ME2 will be able to utilize multi-core processes, but I'm not holding my breath.

Either way, I'm sure it'll run smooth. I just want to ensure it runs SILKY SMOOTH. And again, my concern was only based on the debate over whether a 9600 can stand up to an 8800, which was the recommended card by BioWare.

Walter said:
Yeah, I'm not TOO worried. I have a Q6600 at 2.4 GHz. Hopefully ME2 will be able to utilize multi-core processes, but I'm not holding my breath.

Either way, I'm sure it'll run smooth. I just want to ensure it runs SILKY SMOOTH.

With that CPU I think you shouldn't even worry about ME3 running silky smooth. :ganishka:

From the little I read in the last two minutes, 8800GT is slightly (VERY slighlty) better, though. Nothing I'd worry about, especially with a CPU like yours. Silky smooth.

SaiyajinNoOuji

Walter said:

Either way, I'm sure it'll run smooth. I just want to ensure it runs SILKY SMOOTH. And again, my concern was only based on the debate over whether a 9600 can stand up to an 8800, which was the recommended card by BioWare.
I wish I HAD a Q6600. :sad:

Well I have word that Nvidia's new GTX3XX series of cards top the current AMD/ATI cards.

Crossposted from Techpowerup.com

http://www.guru3d.com/news/geforce-gtx-360-and-380-benchmarks/

Pretty crazy considering that the GTX380 is a single die that beats the 5970 which is two 5870 die's together. That is if these are true... we shall see when they come out which may not be till 2nd quarter 2010.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Those GTX bastards are going to be EXPENSIVE :mozgus:. It's a given that the newest generation of cards are going to trump the previous ones. For me though, that's just an endless circle jerk. It's only significant for the average hardware consumer when a company manages to build a card that can house that kind of power in an affordable package -- preferably sub-$500.

Personally, I wouldn't ever spend more than $200 on a video card unless it had the potential to stay relevant for up to 5 years.

SaiyajinNoOuji

Walter said:
Those GTX bastards are going to be EXPENSIVE :mozgus:. It's a given that the newest generation of cards are going to trump the previous ones. For me though, that's just an endless circle jerk. It's only significant for the average hardware consumer when a company manages to build a card that can house that kind of power in an affordable package. Preferably sub-$500.
Well just found out that they are fake.

http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/16843/1/ :troll:

But yea... its always expensive for the early adoptors... if anything its best to wait for the mid range cards since those can be brought up to the high end cards with minimal effort and cost a shit ton less.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Hey guys, if you don't mind, I'd like to prod your minds with a few questions.

I've never built a PC before, but I've come into a little graduation money and am looking at between $900-$1,000 to spend. Because this is my first time, I want to make sure that I'm fully equipped to handle this project -- because I'm tired of getting package "deals" from Dell, HP and the like. This is a little pet project that I want to get right first time.

The PC would be used for gaming -- games like ME2, for example -- (but I don't mind if it doesn't run games better than ANYTHING out there on the market) and plenty of multitasking without the slow down. My current desktop takes about three days to open Microsoft Word and about four days to open iTunes. I'm not sure what this "over clocking" business is either, so if anyone can explain it in terms that I'd understand (which most PC-centric websites fail to do) I'd appreciate it.

So far in my research, I've found a case/fan combo from various websites that seems like decent value:

Combo Deal: OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ600MXSP & HAF 922 (not sure if I should spend the extra money on the 932... to be honest, I'm not sure if I'll need a full tower).

That's about the extend of the items I've found. I've known many of you for a long, long time, so I trust your opinions over anyone else.

Cheers guys =)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
What kind of advice are you looking for, trusted brands, or just like, a basics guide to how to assemble the components?

To start a computer from scratch, you will need:

-case (likely will want an ATX case, since that's the standard)
-motherboard (too many options to list... get a respected brand name and youll be safe)
-CPU (Id recommend an Intel quad-core since theyre relatively cheap and are THE FUTURE)
-ram (+4GB if youre doing a 64bit OS, otherwise +2GB)
-hard drive (these days youll want a Terabyte or so. I personally trust SeaGate more than Western Digital.)
-power supply (~500watts)
-video card (i lean toward NVidia cards. A decent one right now will cost you ~ $150).
-monitor (things to look for are response time, hopefully 5ms or under, max resolution, and contrast ratio)

These days things like network adapters and sound cards are built into the motherboard. That used to be a laughable option, but now it's standard, and they generally work great.

A general rule of thumb when buying computer parts is to NOT jump on the super cheap deals. Don't bother with super cheap components, even if you save $10-15. They will fail and you will cry. It's best to go for mid-grade parts and reliable brands. For example, ASUS makes great components. They've never fucked me over. When I get a new video card or motherboard, I try to always ensure I know the brand's track record.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
This is why SK.net is the greatest website ever -- insta responses!

Walter said:
What kind of advice are you looking for, trusted brands, or just like, a basics guide to how to assemble the components?

A little bit of all of that. A general symposium of ideas -- helpful hints, suggestions, etc.

Based on a recommendation, the compiled list is this:

Case: Antec Twelve Hundred or HAF 932
Motherboard: ASUS P7P55D PRO LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard
CPU: Intel Core i5-750
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB
HDD: Samsung or SeaGate
PSU: Antec TruePower New TP-750 Blue 750W
Video Card: XFX HD-485X-ZDFC Radeon but I am very open to other suggestions =)
Monitor: No idea where to start, but was thinking this: ASUS VH226H Black 21.5" 2ms HDMI Widescreen

Any feedback would be appreciate. Cheers again, Aaz =)

ASUS is good but their motherboards, not so much. Both of the ASUS boards I've used in previous builds died within 2 years or so. I did get them replaced however. One of them is pretty old and I don't use that computer anymore. The second system with a replaced ASUS board was given to my dad but he's been having issues with it too. I know a few others who also have issues with ASUS boards too. By far, I'd have to say that I've had the best experience with Gigabyte motherboards. I've had mine running in my desktop for almost 5 years now with absolutely no issues. I'm going to put forth this board as a suggestion : GIGABYTE GA-P55

Another thing;

A good CPU heatsink might also be a worthy investment if you will be doing any gaming/other intensive activity. This heatsink is great for the price: XIGMATEK HDT-RS1283

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Shane said:
ASUS is good but their motherboards, not so much. Both of the ASUS boards I've used in previous builds died within 2 years or so. I did get them replaced however.

I have to say I'm quite surprised to hear about that. I consider Asus the best motherboard manufacturer in existence. I've been using their products for about 15 years and never had a problem with them.

SaiyajinNoOuji

Aazealh said:
I have to say I'm quite surprised to hear about that. I consider Asus the best motherboard manufacturer in existence. I've been using their products for about 15 years and never had a problem with them.
I would have to agree with Aaz. I wish I had an ASUS instead of a Biostar. The one I have is good but I absolutely HATE the bio's layout and how they use percentages instead of regular numbers for the OC'ing. :mozgus:

*offtopic* I just bit the side of my tongue, hurts like a b~tch.

I gave my Dell 6400 (my first laptop actually ... picked it up in 07 when I came to the country) to my dad last October when he came over to visit me. Prompted me to buy a new laptop. I hopped on to HP, customized it and it was priced at over 3 grand. Not worth. Hopped on to the Alienware site, man, so tempting along with the Ferrari or Lamborghini laptops, but I'd customize it and the price would kill. A pal linked me to a Vaio and I didn't hesitate, pricy though.

$1500 inclusive of shipping in Oct 2009 for a Vaio FW series - 17.1 inch, 6 GB Ram, 320 GB HD space, Intel Core 2 Duo, and the usual specs. Buying it off Newegg meant I couldn't customize it. This's my first Vaio, and I can't complain.

Top Bottom