New Berserk Anime pics fake or real you decide...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Yea I'm just happy someone reminded me of Ys :serpico: I enjoyed the anime for what it was and I remember years ago seeing the preview for the new episodes and for some strange reason I couldn't find it anywhere. I'm like, am I crazy or what? that anime has to be out there! the trailer just looked too good. And the 4 minute + trailer was on the official Ys dvd, making you think that the story conitues on the next release. It confused the hell outa me and I completely forgot until now that its been brought up again, something like 5 or 6 years later. Ahh memories, and thanks for posting that link, even the music was epic. :guts:

I asked John from AN about this and his opinion and here it is

The mystery of the supposed new Berserk anime screenshots that surfaced this past weekend is certainly delicious. The person who first released the images on the NeoGAF Forum has stated that the four shots are a year old and hinted that they're the work of studio Bee Train. Prolific online discussion associates the images with Studio 4°C, possibly because the anonymous Japanese animator said to have provided access to the footage supposedly now works for 4°C. Note that important distinction. The original uploader never said the images were the work of Studio 4°C - only that they were obtained through an animator who presently works for Studio 4°C. The content of the images seems authentic beyond suspicion. It's unmistakeably Berserk imagery, and the color, detail, and design evident in the shots clearly looks to be the work of a professional Japanese studio. The shots do not originate from either of the Berserk video games nor the 1997 TV anime, so they seemingly have to be exerpted from unreleased animation. This is particularly mysterious because there are still no known rumors of a new Berserk anime production in Japan's fan community. The leaked images have been available online for a few days. And especially if this footage is actually a year old, it would be natural to assume that some word of its existance would have surfaced in Japan by now.

The art design of the imagery doesn't give away its origin, but it could plausibly have come from either Bee Train or 4°C. Bee Train has animated violent swordplay anime including Murder Princess and Blade of the Immortal. 4°C, despite being associated with dramatic and esoteric productions, has animated mainstream action anime including the Spriggan and First Squad motion pictures and the opening anime for the Sengoku Basara X fighting game. So, at this stage, what's more important than determing who created the footage is what the footage portends. On the assumption that the footage is real, it could be an exerpt from a new Berserk anime production - a movie, TV series, or OVA/OAD. It could also been footage created for inclusion in a new Berserk video game. It could also be tentative pilot footage created to gauge the viability of a new Berserk anime production. Initial speculation may be that the footage is too graphicly violent for use as a short promotional video, but that possibility also can't be excluded since the three-minute long "Double X" music video that Madhouse released back in 1993 is quite gruesome. If this footage actually is a year old, as it's described, the fact that it's existed for a year without a breath of rumor about a new Berserk anime in Japan would logically suggest that it's nothing more than a brief bit of new animation made for internal studio use only - not footage ever intended for public release nor footage culled from a forthcoming commercial release.

Like everyone that's seen the four leaked images, I'm fascinated by them and the possibility they suggest. However, these images have been circulating in public for several days and there's still no solid word of a new Berserk anime planned or in production in Japan. Moreover, if this footage was actually completed and screened a year ago and there's still no word of a new Berserk anime, I think it would be appropriate to consider this a mysterious unproduced project like the "Operation Aliens" cartoon based on James Cameron's movie, TMS Entertainment's Lupin VIII anime TV series, and Gonzo's Kiddy Grade 2 - all of which had footage produced but never saw full realization.
I know it might not add much but I'd think he'd have at least some clue on it

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Slan_wings said:
I know it might not add much but I'd think he'd have at least some clue on it

Yeah, doesn't really tell us anything new. He's wrong on one thing too: there's been word of it in Japanese communities since last sunday. We saw to it. :slan:

Aazealh said:
He's wrong on one thing too: there's been word of it in Japanese communities since last sunday. We saw to it. :slan:

I'm curious about what their thoughts/impressions were when this was brought to their attention, other than the Japanese equivolent of "OMG What the f*** I just came in my pants!!" :ganishka:

Do they agree that it APPEARS genuine, or do they have any other theories to add? Has anyone contacted Bee Train or 4C enquiring about it's authenticity? Of course if it is real that would be bad news for the leaker and the company might not be too happy :mozgus:...still, has anyone attempted contacting them?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Skull Knight said:
I'm curious about what their thoughts/impressions were when this was brought to their attention, other than the Japanese equivolent of "OMG What the f*** I just came in my pants!!"

Nothing very interesting so far. Some people were pretty critical toward it. A comment that sticks to my mind is a guy saying it's better to have nothing than to have something that sucks (others going so far as to compare the general enthusiasm of Westerners compared to the cold response given by Japanese fans). For the most part it's not too different from the reactions of fans everywhere else (including stupid shit).

Skull Knight said:
Has anyone contacted Bee Train or 4C enquiring about it's authenticity?

Not that I know of. We've inquired certain people in the industry but haven't got any answers yet.

Skull Knight said:
Of course if it is real that would be bad news for the leaker and the company might not be too happy

Honestly that's their problem. It's irresponsible to leak material like that and it's normal that there'd be consequences.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aazealh said:
A comment that sticks to my mind is a guy saying it's better to have nothing than to have something that sucks
That's pretty much how I feel about it. For those familiar with the manga, the anime was a true blight to Berserk's legacy. Imagine if this new production included Puck but arbitrarily left out The Skull Knight. :schierke:

And I still don't really understand the enthusiasm for a new animation. It won't be superior to the manga, and will surely deviate in some annoying ways. How would that be cool? For the novelty of seeing Guts in motion again?

[/bitter old man Walter]

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Walter said:
That's pretty much how I feel about it. For those familiar with the manga, the anime was a true blight to Berserk's legacy. Imagine if this new production included Puck but arbitrarily left out The Skull Knight. :schierke:

And I still don't really understand the enthusiasm for a new animation. It won't be superior to the manga, and will surely deviate in some annoying ways. How would that be cool? For the novelty of seeing Guts in motion again?

[/bitter old man Walter]

I totally agree about the anime being a blight on Berserk's legacy. After watching the remastered version (which was much better in terms of translation until they got to the eclipse, but that's another story) I was pretty amazed at how bad an adaptation it was. When I first saw it back in 2002, I fell in love with it almost immediately, but after reading the manga for 6 years, and seeing much better anime in the meantime (Stand Alone Complex anyone?), I barely made it through the entire thing. Not only did they butcher the story, but the animation is horrendous (and it's not because it was released in 1998, plenty of anime from that time, like Cowboy Bebop, have fantastic animation).

However, if the animation quality was bumped up, no filler was added and the colors were corrected (in other words, if it was done well), I'd be more than happy with a new series. But I'd also be okay if they never release another Berserk anime adaptation, since the original material is perfect the way it is. (I feel like I've said all this before in another thread, oh well).

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Slan_wings said:
Well if it was canned then there would be no consequence?

Maybe there wouldn't. It depends on the people involved so there isn't really any ground (nor interest, if you ask me) to speculate on the matter.

X

Xem

I'm both very anxious and annoyed by this. Fake until I see further evidence.

Ah fuck it, I can't help but speculate!

Has anyone thought that maybe it'll be more of a "tribute" type deal? Like Macross: Flash Back 2012? I'd be happy with that, however unlikely.

A 'tribute' as in, having nothing in common with Berserk except the names and faces?

Yeah, I'm not sure I'd want to see that, myself, unless it was directed, written, and produced soley by Miura.

Im sooooooooooooooooooooo excited! Of course if this turns out to be BS (unlikely) I will be soooooooooooooooooo bummed!

I for one think it's real as the pics seem to have been taken from a screening somewhere. Notice the hanging lights in the upper right corner of Zodd and Caska shot? Also they aren't straight on shots either.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
dwarfkicker said:
I for one think it's real as the pics seem to have been taken from a screening somewhere. Notice the hanging lights in the upper right corner of Zodd and Casca shot? Also they aren't straight on shots either.
That proves absolutely nothing and could easily be output to a TV.

dwarfkicker said:
I for one think it's real as the pics seem to have been taken from a screening somewhere. Notice the hanging lights in the upper right corner of Zodd and Casca shot? Also they aren't straight on shots either.

I did you a favor even though this will prove absolutely nothing regarding the images' authenticity. Here are the same images with the brightness levels adjusted. If you're suggesting this was from a theatre screening you're mistaken.

Puckb.jpg

As it was already stated before, these were displayed on a Pioneer television, but now you can see for yourself. :isidro:

Zoddb.jpg

Gutsb.jpg

As for the hanging lights comment, I would say it looks more like a reflection of a tall floor lamp...someone's bedroom or living room?

Cascab.jpg

Also there is some weird squiggly design behind the tv, not sure what that could be. Maybe some poster or horribly ugly wallpaper? What IS certain is that this definitely was displayed on a tv. However, that does not make it real since most new tvs can be connected to your pc. Meaning, that someone with too much free time COULD display their fake "video" pictures they spent hours creating in photoshop on the tv, then take a photo of it. :puck:

I hope it's genuine but I don't want to get too excited only to learn it is not. :judo:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Skull Knight said:
Also there is some weird squiggly design behind the tv, not sure what that could be. Maybe some poster or horribly ugly wallpaper?

Personally I assumed it was just a corny wallpaper. It certainly looks like it.

Skull Knight said:
However, that does not make it real since most new tvs can be connected to your pc. Meaning, that someone with too much free time COULD display their fake "video" pictures they spent hours creating in photoshop on the tv, then take a photo of it.

In this day and age it would be a feat to find a TV you can't connect a computer to. Like you said it really doesn't mean anything at all.

it's hard to believe it's real right now. i'd say every image is a photoshop taken from the claymore anime. i've always said if i won the lottery, i'd put a lot of the money towards a re-creation of the anime, so it's not exactly impossible for this to happen.. but i'd rather not get my hopes up until official news gets released.

Hahaha, someone showed me this recently as well. I'm glad I didn't freak out right away- but rather scurried right over here to see what you guys believe. I think, until there is some kind of official statement, or you guys agree that it's real, I'm not going to get all excited about it. Awgh, but it would be cool.

As for the topic of "rather not have anything if it's going to be crappy"- maybe I'm too much of a fan, but I'm totally okay with seeing more Berserk anime/video game/ANYTHING, even if it's a little off from the manga. I feel the same way about any book-to-movie or comic-to-movie, like you guys have been saying, we will always have the manga in its untarnished state if we want the original experience! So I always perceive the rest as just offshoots or watered down versions, but I don't find them any less enjoyable for that.

Hope hope hope hope~ :puck:

Yea, I take the side of not having anything if it's going to be crappy. Believe me, there are people out there who might otherwise love and enjoy reading the manga, but because they stumbled upon the anime first (and didn't care for it), will never give the manga a try.

I saw the anime first and didn't like it (it bored me), but fortunately for me, was willing to give the manga a shot 6 months later. I started with scans at volume 4 (before Dark Horse came around) and had fallen in love by the beginning of volume 5. Sorry to offend anyone, but the anime blows. We would all like an easy way to expose our friends to this wonderful tale, heaven forbid we should ask them to read anything. But see below for my thoughts on why I think we should savor the time we have with Berserk the way it still is.

At this point, the way Miura has masterfully crafted his story, Berserk doesn't need any more mediums of exposure to become well known. I don't think i'm being far fetched when I say that in another 10-15 years berserk will be considered a must read in various industries. It's just a matter of time now, as more and more people continue to read and fall in love with it, it will eventually reach tipping power and spill all over into the main stream until we are all so sick of berserk we will never want to see Guts again. When we really do see a new anime or Berserk movie, that time may be upon us.

zurusuru

My entrails bring all the boys to the yard.
I would adore it if they'd do an equivalent of what they're doing with the Hellsing Ultimate OVA's for Berserk, but the likelihood is slim to none. I love that they kept the original voice cast of the shitty Gonzo anime, and if they did that with Berserk OVA's, I'd probably be in my own private heaven.

But I doubt that the same quality will be put towards Berserk (which would be significantly longer). As much as I'd love to see Guts in the armor in motion with amazing animation and with the same voice actor as the first anime, I'll just have to satiate my thirst with cutscenes from the PS2 game.

I don't think these pictures are real, as much as it'd be nice if they were. :sad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom