Completed - 1/10 Griffith "The White Hawk" Soldier on Horse (image heavy)

yesmilord

千年王国
Disclaimer: This is indeed a Thai kit. I know many of you are against this, and I am sorry if this offends you in any way. I do, in fact, intend to purchase a legit version in the future to work on again, but the reason I did not in the first place was because I had scrounged YJA for several months before giving in to the clutches of ebay's recasters. To my dismay, I had found out that the kit recently popped up (and is still) on YJA. I would purchase that particular one, but I currently don't have any extra money for it. I was impatient, yes, but not ignorant. I have no excuse, and I do intend to pay my dues in the future, so if possible, I ask that we please keep any discrepancies about this issue in PMs. I would greatly appreciate that.

I apologize in advance for the song and dance - this is my first resin kit and the results came far beyond my expectations, so I may get carried away with WIP photos and writing. Griffith is my favorite character in Berserk, and thus this was the only kit I really wanted to see happen. I wouldn't have been satisfied with the 1/15 AoW statue. I would also like to thank Joa in particular for both the inspiration and great amounts of advice during the construction of this kit. Without him and the hobby community, I would not have been able to attempt this feat.

Griffith2.jpg

A comment on the kit itself and my decisions on how to construct it -
I had originally wanted to follow the traditional color scheme (blue lightning bolts, silver armor, etc.) but then decided against it. After careful consideration and research, I consulted a few friends and we all ended up agreeing that performing an ivory white paint job (much like Art of War's Griffith repaints) would much better depict the "immaculate white hawk" that I had originally intended to portray. With that came the gold splattering on the base and the flag idea, which was inspiration drawn directly from one of Griffith's victory scenes in the manga. A little bit of improvisation and the use of a pastel purple instead of the over-used, bludgeoning blue took the kit a long way forward. Once again, I am extremely satisfied with the results, and I hope to do more of these things in the future!

I'm going to briefly go over some of the major points in my prep work, just so you can get an idea of what I did to put this thing together. And yea, don't buy Thai if you ever have the option not to :mozgus:
(if you want to see my entire WIP postings, visit my blog @ banirasoruto.blogspot.com)

The kit in its entirety. I'm not sure how many pieces there are in total, because a lot were broken and a few were missing.
Photo0177.jpg

Take Griffith's helm for example. There's a buckle melded onto the top of it and a huge piece of flash by the nose.
Photo0179.jpg

The larger pieces had no problem fitting together, like the horse's main body below.
Photo0184.jpg

Soooo...I had to do a little "convincing". By the way, this stuff does not heat easily. I had to hold each piece in scalding water for several minutes before they became malleable enough for me to manipulate.
Photo0195.jpg

Filled the bottom of the rock base with coins and an iron chain as a counterweight, and sealed the bottom with an inch of bondo.
Photo0193.jpg

I had to reconstruct parts of the sword and horse helmet because they were broken and/or missing :chomp: See the recurring theme? :troll:
Photo0214.jpg

The hardest part about this kit was attaching all the pieces of the horse's cloak. I'm not sure if it's because the Thai resin is so heavy, but I had to use atrocious amounts of masking tape to hold the pieces in place while the epoxy glue slowly set.
Photo0224.jpg

Painted Griffith! Ivory white armor, pastel lavender shirt, and golden bolts.
Photo0236.jpg

Created the flags out of thin sheets of brass.
Photo0261.jpg

I took this straight from Joa's Zodd Revelations WIP. I needed something to secure this insanely tall base.
Photo0247.jpg

Added extra rocks made from putty and the Band of the Hawk crest to the plaque. I also painted the base with several dark, earthen washes and used a toothbrush to splatter flakes of gold all over. The effect came out nicely (see the photos at the bottom).
Photo0268.jpg

Hand painted all the hawk crests!
Photo0269.jpg

I had first wanted to put flowers around the base, but couldn't find any. I then decided that Autumn foliage would do nicely to compliment Griffith.
Photo0281.jpg

Five flags surrounding the base.
Photo0284.jpg

The white decal just wasn't doing it for me, so I painted the hawk crest gold and peeled off the decal, leaving a crisp rendition!
Photo0294.jpg
Photo0299.jpg

And that concludes my month-long journey! Check out the results!

Griffith1-1.jpg

Griffith3-1.jpg

Griffith4-1.jpg

Griffith5-1.jpg

Griffith6-1.jpg

Hope you enjoyed it! :griffnotevil:

CONGRATS!!!! Looks fantastic, and you should know, that if you have the skill to successfully construct a thai kit (and not ANY thai kit, but a 1/10 griffith on horse thai kit), you got what it takes to make an original a masterpiece! Great job, here, and now that you've got your feet wet in the Berserk kit world, I expect some more projects from you! =)

Kudos to Joa too, for helping out!

Top Bottom