Aliens vs Predator by Rebellion

958076_20090819_790screen004.jpg

Trailer:
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/aliensvspredatorworkingtitle/video/6214401/aliens-vs-predator-marine-trailer?hd=0

Anyone else excited for this title? I am big time.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I am guardedly hopeful. That AvP for PC game was really awesome, I thought. This one has potential, but ... I just don't know.

I saw this a while back on Gamespot and I was actually glad that they are making one. I don't really have any high expectations because it might not be such a good game after all. I am hoping that it is, I would like to be Predator. :chomp:

Oburi

All praise Grail
Wow this could be awesome. Is this the one where you get to play as Predator? I can't watch the trailer right now I'm on my work computer.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
I am guardedly hopeful. That AvP for PC game was really awesome, I thought. This one has potential, but ... I just don't know.

Yeah, AvP and AvP 2 were great, but so far "guardedly hopeful" perfectly sums up my stance on this game.

Oburi said:
Wow this could be awesome. Is this the one where you get to play as Predator?

You can play as either a Predator, an Alien or a Space Marine.

I LOVED the original back in 1999. I really think this game is going to be good, purely based on FAITH btw.
In this day and age, how could a reputable developer fuck up an FPS. Well... Forget I said that. :schierke:

I was reading an interview with the lead developer and his response to the level of gore in this game. His stance: This game is for adults. End of story. Made me warm and fuzzy inside.

Trophy Kills
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfGFiZz2DnI&feature=related

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Proj2501 said:
I was reading an interview with the lead developer and his response to the level of gore in this game. His stance: This game is for adults. End of story. Made me warm and fuzzy inside.

The "level of gore" in a game isn't really a factor of quality... It certainly isn't what made the first 2 games good. Anyway, here's a gameplay video that looks pretty nice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaeuiqWCFKE

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
I've been keeping my eye on this one but I'm more interested in Colonial Marines. Ever since I was a kid I wanted a game that would recreate the experience of Aliens. (Probably my favorite sci-fi movie EVER) I was so stoked to hear that Alien Trilogy was coming out for Saturn, which was what I had at the time. It did not deliver although I LOVED the fact it had the motion tracker from the movie and the sound was so cool!
Why are they making an AVP game and Colonial Marines? I wish they would just choose one or the other and it be really awesome. Just like when the AVP movie came out, I'm very weary.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
First AvP was played on a brand new HP computer that had Windows Millennium edition on it! :ganishka:

I screamed like a girl on the first encounter with the alien...

I went up the elevator on the first level for the space marine and saw a blip on my motion tracker.

I looked around and didn't see anything but then heard the all too known sound of the Alien's growl. I looked and looked but couldn't see shit and the motion tracker kept showing something was coming straight for me. I went to night vision and didn't see anything still. Went back to normal and started to slowly look around in a circle.

Deciding that I had enough of this I started to go forward when all of a sudden the motion scanner went ape shit and I see this thing that looked like it was jumping from wall to wall towards me. I didn't know about the flare button so I just started shooting caps at it in the dark. It went somewhere and the motion sensor stopped. Thinking that it was a good time to make a run for the end of the hall way I ran when all of a sudden I hear the growl again. I spin behind me and there was nothing there, I go back to looking forward and I am greeted by this aliens gaping drooling maw. I scream and I launch my grenade launcher round right into its mouth which indeed killed it but myself as well.

Good times. :guts:

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
SaiyajinNoOuji said:
First AvP was played on a brand new HP computer that had Windows Millennium edition on it! :ganishka:

I screamed like a girl on the first encounter with the alien...

I went up the elevator on the first level for the space marine and saw a blip on my motion tracker.

I looked around and didn't see anything but then heard the all too known sound of the Alien's growl. I looked and looked but couldn't see shit and the motion tracker kept showing something was coming straight for me. I went to night vision and didn't see anything still. Went back to normal and started to slowly look around in a circle.

Deciding that I had enough of this I started to go forward when all of a sudden the motion scanner went ape shit and I see this thing that looked like it was jumping from wall to wall towards me. I didn't know about the flare button so I just started shooting caps at it in the dark. It went somewhere and the motion sensor stopped. Thinking that it was a good time to make a run for the end of the hall way I ran when all of a sudden I hear the growl again. I spin behind me and there was nothing there, I go back to looking forward and I am greeted by this aliens gaping drooling maw. I scream and I launch my grenade launcher round right into its mouth which indeed killed it but myself as well.

Good times. :guts:

Indeed. That game had an amazing atmosphere. The music cd that came with it really improved the feeling of continuous tension.
Since then i haven't played an fps as gripping as that one.

And this new AvP doesn't look to be that good. The aliens seem a bit too slow. The design looks mediocre and the lightning is a bit off. Too bright and bad use of colours. The predator collecting trophies looks gimmicky. But i do want this to be good. Really really good. Pretty please don't fuck this up.
Is multiplayer on the menu? Co-op?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Feels like a real Collector's Edition, I'll give you that. Now like you say, all that's left is for the game not to suck.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I'm afraid Paul W. Anderson ruined this franchise for us. The game doesn't look too promising, but I'll be giving it a careful eye in the future once some reviews come out.

The concept clearly still has potential.

A demo has been announced, but no specific date was given. In case anyone (ME) is curious.

And this just in:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqiuuqVMhp8

Also, screenshot overload. There's a spoiler or 2 inside so enter at your own risk.
http://www.gry-online.pl/S026.asp?ID=7958

turkitage

ターク
aw man i'm super excited about this. Like proj2501 i LOVED the original one. Played that and half life all the time when I used to LAN at my friends house.

Can't get better then being an alien against your friends as predators and surprise attacking them - feels like i'm a zergling going against a protoss zealot!

Demo's going to be available on PC, PS3 and 360 on Feb 4th. :ubik:

*Edit* It's also been confirmed the demo will feature MP.

Now let's hope it's not complete shit. :farnese:

Just got finished playing it for awhile, the balance between the races is good, none seems too weak or too strong. However, I think the controls are a little clunky.

Then there is finishing moves and melee combat which is okay but feels very automated because you lock on when you do melee and its basically like auto aim where all you have to do is click attack. The finishing moves are like that as well, you just get near them from behind and press E and it does the finisher, the range is pretty generous as well you can be good a distance behind them, to pull it off and that is how most people kill from what I've played.

EndlessSky said:
However, I think the controls are a little clunky.

A little? You're being generous. I've played for 30 minutes and it felt like 6 hours, I can't believe how they can fuck up the controls so bad on a 2010 first person shooter game. It' so stiff, it feels like you have no control over the character, the actions just take too long to happen. The marine feels heavy, handling the guns just felt weird and outdated, even the guns' sounds were bad. The Predator plays like a fat man that can jump a little, so damn slow and stiff. You start with the claws but can pick up throwable weapons, which are not so bad, but it's impossible to hit the fast Aliens with a lance for example. The Alien is the only class that I enjoyed playing as, but it just keeps dying all the time. It's very fast and fun to walk on the walls and ceilings, but it just dies so fast if you don't see the enemy. Actually, it's so easy to die in this game, with any class. Whenever you get caught from behind, just give up because you have no chance of survival, even if the guy doesn't use these finishing moves EndlessSky mentioned. The screen gets all distorted and you lose almost half your health each time you get hit/shot.

I didn't even have high expectations... but I think this demo really sucked. Well, I finished Mass Effect 2 recently, so maybe I'm a little spoiled at the moment, but this was just bad.

Top Bottom