Fires in Los Angeles

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I'm surprised no one's made a thread considering we have members living either nearby or having family in the vicinity.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2009/08/fire-burns-105000-acres-with-no-control-in-sight.html said:
Fire burns 105,000 acres with no control in sight
August 31, 2009 | 3:43 pm

A voracious five-day-old wildfire that has churned through more than 105,000 acres of mountainous brush across northern Los Angeles County showed little sign of slowing down this afternoon as it threatened 12,000 homes in suburban tracts and desert communities, along with a historic observatory and major array of television and radio transmission towers.

With afternoon winds picking up, the Station fire, the largest of eight burning in the state, was plowing through dense hillside vegetation and steep terrain toward residential areas of Sunland and Santa Clarita on the west.

As billows of white and black smoke danced ominously close, Chuck Horn ushered his family and his two prized collectors' automobiles out of his home in the Sunland-Tujunga area.

"We took pictures, tax returns, insurance forms, the dog, the chicken, and that's it," Horn, 61, a retired L.A. County public works employee, said as he prepared to drive away in his baby blue 1931 Plymouth three-window coupe. Horn was next planning on moving his black 1911 Buick Model 33 away from the blaze.

To the east, firefighters were hoping that a concerted effort to cut fire breaks and lay down fire retardant would save the Mt. Wilson Observatory and a key complex of communications towers.

Because of the intensity and unpredictability of the blaze, which continued shifting directions, fire crews had to pull out of the mountaintop area today and wait for the firestorm to pass.
By 3 p.m. the southeastern edge of the Station fire had pushed south against the wind, into the upper west fork of the San Gabriel River drainage. This fire was near the base of Mt Wilson’s north side. Firefighters had begun back-burning brush at the juncture of California 2 and Mt. Wilson Road in order to protect structures, including an American Indian cultural center, from the advancing fire.

The drama of families having to flee their homes -- or risking all to try and defend their property -- played out repeatedly as searing heat and a generation of accumulated hillside growth fed the fires. In Gold Canyon, authorities scrambled to rescue five people who had refused to evacuate.

A Los Angeles County Sheriff’s helicopter was trying to locate the residents near Little Tujunga Road. They pleaded for help after becoming trapped by back fires set by crews trying to fight the blaze.

Sixty-five firefighters withdrew from Chilao Flats near the Chilao ranger station. "The intensity of the fire was too strong," said L.A. County Fire Capt. Henry Rodriguez. "They were pulled off the lines and drove away in their vehicles. They're safe and all OK."

Another fire in San Bernardino County was spreading completely out of control and threatening 2,000 homes near Yucaipa.

-- Rich Connell and Corina Knoll

I'm interested in hearing more from those concerned if anyone's up for it. I hope things will be fine...

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I've been fortunate not to be around it, but everybody is sure talking about it. In Westwood I could see some smoke, but it wasn't affecting the atmosphere, causing the telltale orange sky effect or raining down ash, and so far nothing close to home either.

That's awful, we've been getting quite a lot of forest fires here in British Columbia in the beginning of August. It's pretty bad as well.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
I am just watching the news and there is a fire here in ARizona as well. They said it's going to be ok, since there is some rain going on now. I saw earlier the Calirfornia fire as well. The smoke sure looked like fog in some parts. Pretty bad for those who have lost some homes and cabins. Two firefighters died when their truck rolled over and two people got burned by not evacuating.

slan69 said:
That's awful, we've been getting quite a lot of forest fires here in British Columbia in the beginning of August. It's pretty bad as well.

Yeah, I'm in Kamloops, and it was starting to settle down till that lightning storm that came through a couple weeks ago started over /400 new fires/. -_-

Heh, first time I've ever seen my weather widget give out "Weather Conditions: Smoke".

That's terrifying in LA though, there're a lot more heavily populated way down south there. Hope nobody from this board or in general gets hurt or loses their homes or livelihood from this

Ko Ninja

¯\(O_o)/¯ クー
I feel bad for California. It's like the fires haven't stopped once completely. I have visited a few times in the past years. I heard a couple fire fighters died the other day but not sure if it was tied to the actual Cali fires.

I'm not one to ask for sympathy too often, but actually my parents' home is right at the brink of being burned. My mom and dad were forced to evacuate on Friday. There are no homes behind my parents home so there is nothing really to separate it from the fire.

Early Sunday afternoon the fire came within 150 feet from the backyard. 150 feet.

home150ft.jpg

Needless to say, when my dad snapped this picture, I was beginning to think that maybe their home wouldn't make it. I live in New York, so there wasn't much I could do except to pray and call my parents every hour or so.

Miraculously, by Sunday evening, the firemen were able to defend the home and they pushed the fire back up the hill. It was probably the biggest sigh of relief I have ever experienced in my life.

Unfortunately, overnight, the fire has doubled in size to 85,000 acres of burnt land, with 5% containment. My parents' home is no longer safe anymore, and they are unsure what is going to happen next. More homes surrounding theirs have now been evacuated so it looks like this is not going to be over anytime soon.

Not even my friends IRL know about my parents' situation, because I think I'd rather not have them worry. But yeah, just thought I'd share and vent a little bit about what is going on.

Thanks for reading.

PS On a side note, my entire Berserk statue/kit collection (both unpainted and painted) are in that home. Not my biggest concern, obviously, but I can't say it won't cut pretty deep if they are destroyed...

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Sorry hear that Direct. I hope by chances of nature it rains and the wind doesn't pick up as it did during the weekend. All I can say is let's just hope for the best, for all those people around there.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
DirectDK said:
I'm not one to ask for sympathy too often, but actually my parents' home is right at the brink of being burned. My mom and dad were forced to evacuate on Friday. There are no homes behind my parents home so there is nothing really to separate it from the fire.

It's fucking awful man, plain and simple. I truly hope their house will be spared. I barely imagine the abysmal despair such a thing would signify to me.

DirectDK said:
PS On a side note, my entire Berserk statue/kit collection (both unpainted and painted) are in that home. Not my biggest concern, obviously, but I can't say it won't cut pretty deep if they are destroyed...

Let's not pretend it doesn't add insult to injury. You've spent a whole lot of time, effort and money to build that collection over the years. If I were in your place I'd be completely crushed. I hope everything turns out well man, I really do. :sad:

ghadrack

Not a llama or your momma!
I hope all turns out well for you guys also. Hopefully the fact that the fire came so close means that most of the ground fuel was burned off around their neighboorhood, that may be a huge blessing because it could act as an insulatory barrier between the fire and their neighboorhood, reducing the liklihood of the fire coming back and getting at the houses

Serpico

Farnese is the bomb diggity
Wow that really sucks. That stuff is not easily replaceable if at all I guess. If you did lose it, god forbid, you have it documented pretty well already for insurance purposes. Still though, I hope it all ends for you without incident DK.

Ko Ninja

¯\(O_o)/¯ クー
I don't care if I caught this late or not, I'm going to reply. I hope all is well, Derek. No one deserves this kind of stuff...

Kagami

Goo!
I am about to be relocated from Toronto to LA (we are getting a loft in Korea Town). I have always wanted to live in California, and now when I finally have the option... fire. I didn't know it was LA that was in danger until I read this. I knew about the fires, but only heard that they were sorta close to LA. I hope it won't be that much of a problem for the downtown city (right?) but some of you other guys on the board have been dealt a bad hand. I think California is one of the greatest places on the planet (Venice beach in particular IS the best place on earth). Let's hope some of that rain for the hurricane gets up there.

Griffith

Today I was out walking and noticed some smoke coming over the hills, I noticed this get heavier as I walked, until finally ash was lightly drizzling down and the sky was filled with smoke. Anyway, I spent the rest of the day inside, watching the orange sky.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
I saw the report in the news, and they said the "Santa Anna winds" are not fanning these fires. Good thing they said no building are being affected at the moment.

Griffith

Th3Branded0ne said:
I saw the report in the news, and they said the "Santa Anna winds" are not fanning these fires. Good thing they said no building are being affected at the moment.

Yeah, the first Santa Anna was scheduled for today, but didn't come. If it had hit, who knows what could have happened...

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
Wasnt it arson again? Have they caught the people yet?

I don't know, mine and my fathers guess though was that it was probably some bastard setting a fire because the Santa Anna's were supposed to start today, which would have been much more disastrous.

Nice place, California. =)

Top Bottom