Ghost in the Shell vs. Metropolis

The13thScroll

Ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?
This is far from Berserk, but I think it's interesting all the same. I've watched both movies several times and was at a loss at which one I preferred more/thought was a better movie. I decided to conduct a trial experiment on how I would judge future animes to come. Over the course of one week, I watched each movie 3 times total, 2 times sober 1 time while I was high. The results were as follows:

Metropolis is the clear winner. Ghost in the Shell was the early favorite because of its action and familiar anime style, but each time I watched Metropolis, I got something new outta of it everytime. Each time I watched, I began to realize new depth to the plot. The movie is far more subtle in its message and theme of robots and human feelings/what makes you truly alive than Ghost In the Shell. I felt like GItS didn't have the soul that Metropolis did. Anyhow, I could talk for hours about how I think Metropolis is awesome and how Tezuka is a genius and all but I won't.

I feel that Metropolis is a better movie than Ghost in the Shell. What do ya'll think? Which did you like better?

maximus

Es ist einsam im Nebel zu wandern...
i didn t see metropolis yet but concerning Ghost in the shell i can say that i really like that movie because of quality and style...
however the story is a bit confusing and the charas differ from the manga!
moreover the soundtrack is good but too stereotype meaning that the whole atmosphere is really monotonous!
however in generell i like the movie!

The13thScroll

Ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?
Drachenfels said:
Wasn't that Metropolis movie from the 20s?

Yes it is. Fritz Lang's Metropolis is what you're thinkin off. I'm talking about the anime based off of Osamu Tezuka's 1949 manga also called Metropolis that was released a few years ago.

White_Hawk

The Only True Free Spirit / Dark Horse Rider
Hey, if you ppl are into metropolis you might wanna check out my friend's amv, Outshined. He already won a few awards with his Hellsing and Excel saga videos,
so check them out too.
However, Outshined is currently nominated for best drama AMV at http://www.animemusicvideos.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=6055&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

okay,
CHECK IT!

www.anime42.com/amvs

D

Drachenfels

Just saw Metro, and I agree, it's definetly better then ghost. I didn't like the "old" style character design of metro, but it had a better story and characters then ghost.

Top Bottom