New on DVD thread.

What're you guys looking forward to more ... the Alien 6 disc set or the Blade Runner set? OR ... OR ... Metropolis (extended original version, closest to the original without cuts)?? :beast:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
IncantatioN said:
What're you guys looking forward to more ... the Alien 6 disc set or the Blade Runner set? OR ... OR ... Metropolis (extended original version, closest to the original without cuts)?? :beast:

Depending on how the video transfers are handled with the Alien set, I may or my not be looking forward to it. :iva: As for Blade Runner, the set is already out on Blu-ray, unless there's another box set they're releasing sometime soon that I'm not aware of. Personally, I can't wait for Criterion's Blu-ray transfer of Seven Samurai. There are so many great movies coming out on Blu-ray this Christmas that it's going to be hard to pick and choose.

Edit: I just placed my order for Seven Samurai. I'll let you guys know what I think of it, but the review on www.blu-ray.com says Criterion's HD remaster is exceptional and it's the best Seven Samurai has ever looked. It's been almost ten years since I last saw it and I can't wait for it to arrive. :guts:

Edit: My girlfriend and I finally watched it this weekend. She had never seen it before and it'd been about ten years since I'd seen it on VHS. Wow, what a movie. Despite its length, not a scene was wasted and we were engrossed the entire time. The picture looked exceptional for a film made back in 1954. I can't comment too much on the soundtrack as I don't have a sound system and rely on my TV speakers for listening, but it sounded pretty crisp and clear on my lowly setup. I can't wait for Criterion to release even more Kurosawa films on Blu-ray. I'll probably pick up Yojimbo next.

P.S. - Mifune rules.

MrWeatherby

What's up, ketchup?
Blade Runner is the obvious answer, since the only Alien movies people should care about are the first two. Four films ranging from mediocre to a goddamn joke? No thanks buddy, I want to see Harrison Ford muse on the what it means to be human thank u v. much

EDIT: Blade Runner also has The Rutger so there is a slight edge over the Alien series right there

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Mother fuck, I want to want the Star Wars Blu Rays that come out tomorrow. To be honest, I've had a bad, bad taste in my mouth since George Lucas started fucking with the movies. I bought them when they came to DVD. And I wasn't happy. Then I bought them again when FOR A LIMITED TIME ONLY they re-released the DVDs and included the original theatrical versions as extras. Crappy laserdisc rips.

I love me some Star Wars, but I think I would feel dirty buying a release that's even more altered. I guess it just angers me that so much work has been put into re-re-remastering these altered versions and no love whatsoever has been shown to the theatrical versions. George Lucas wants those versions to disappear. What a cunt.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Star Wars saga should be filed under DVDs to DREAD! I say vote with your wallet and DON'T buy them, and that goes for everybody. The only Star Wars DVDs I've purchased are the ones you mentioned with the throwaway theatrical discs, the irony being I kept those and threw the main discs away. There's also a number of fan remasters out there.

Also, watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cph-lckkLs8

:guts:

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Griffith said:
Also, watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cph-lckkLs8

:guts:

:ganishka:

George Lucas is the biggest troll ever, it kinda amuses me.
By the way, i'm probably the only person man in the world who never liked Star Wars, not even when i was a kid. And no, i didn't like Star Trek either.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
NightCrawler said:
:ganishka:

By the way, i'm probably the only person man in the world who never liked Star Wars, not even when i was a kid. And no, i didn't like Star Trek either.

You are not the only one.

turkitage

ターク
Turkitage said:
This might of been mentioned in other threads here as I don't follow movies that much... but I anyone check out the reviews for Star Wars Blu-Ray release on amazon?

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Complete-Episodes-Blu-ray/dp/B003ZSJ212/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1316148799&sr=8-1

The Movie hasn't EVEN came out yet and it's got 800+ one star reviews. :troll: So much up roar for a new dvd coming out.

I am one of those reviews. :ganishka:

I just bought the Empire and Jedi on Laserdisc; I don't even have a player, but Star Wars fans are willing to pay a lot. Therefore, I thought $35 was a good deal. (Although I feel like I wasted my money)

Griffith

Unfortunately, those bad reviews are all just talk:

http://io9.com/5843342/star-wars-blu+rays-break-sales-records-take-in-84-million

Seriously, the people supporting this ongoing travesty, probably for the umpteenth but now guaranteed not last time, make me sick. I don't mind stupid Blu-Ray buyers who don't even care about Star Wars, or movies for that matter, getting it just because they need "the Blue-Ray" of everything to feel alive, but the fact that so many fans are still going over this cliff like lemmings is depressing.

NightCrawler said:

I've long since stopped blaming him. It's our fault at this point; the people have spoken, we're stupid, and sure, he'll gladly take our money.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
I've long since stopped blaming him. It's our fault at this point; the people have spoken, we're stupid, and sure, he'll gladly take our money.
He doesn't have to shit on his product in order for it to sell, though. He goes above and beyond the call of duty of the standard disc pusher.

Griffith

Walter said:
He doesn't have to shit on his product in order for it to sell, though. He goes above and beyond the call of duty of the standard disc pusher.

Yeah, and we don't have to buy that shit. It's the perfect analogy, it's like I'm watching people go out and buy product covered in shit (there's a slavish quality to the whole thing that makes it more off-putting than DVD sales should be). From Lucas' perspective though, what he's doing is working like a charm. Plus, if he wanted to, he could still cash in on the "theatrical editions" someday. Anyway, if the integrity of the films themselves is less important to everybody than image resolution and anamorphic widescreen, then we're as bad as he is. At least he claims to believe in what he's selling, I can't say the same for his consumers.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Anyway, if the integrity of the films themselves is less important to everybody than image resolution and anamorphic widescreen, then we're as bad as he is.
I genuinely believe that most of the people who bought them won't even notice any changes. And that's pretty fucking sad. History is being rewritten Orwellian style. Greedo always shot first.

Top Bottom