20th Anniversary of Berserk

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
BERSERK began serialization in 1989 with Animal House's 10th issue that year.

In 1993, the first episode was released under Young Animal.

On September 25, Kentarou Miura will release Episode 307, his 325th serialized publication...

... and enter into his 20th year of publishing BERSERK.

berserkanniversary-small2.jpg

Congratulations Miura. Here's to 20 more years
gutsemoticontest.gif

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
handsome rakshas said:
Congratulations Kentarou Miura!

I like that pic Wally, did you make that?
I based it on the same picture that Young Animal did for their own anniversary announcement: . Art comes from the PS2 game.

It certainly bears repeating here what Aaz posted about in the 306 thread.

Aazealh said:
YA #19 will be a Berserk special edition of some sort, with a Berserk cover and a bunch of other stuff (more pages and appendices) to celebrate the 20th anniversary. We'll get more details about it from YA's website on the 18th.

YA19-2009_01.jpg
YA19-2009_02.jpg

So, basically something special will be done in the next YA to commemorate the event. I wonder if that means more colored character art, posters, or something even cooler. YA has often given out exclusive deals to readers to apply for limited-edition Berserk merchandise.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
So, basically something special will be done in the next YA to commemorate the event. I wonder if that means more colored character art, posters, or something even cooler. YA has often given out exclusive deals to readers to apply for limited-edition Berserk merchandise.

There should be a color page at least, aside from the cover. Most likely one of the posters present in volume 34 (released on the same day).

Anyway, we've just been through 20 years of greatness. I've sometimes wished I'd been born earlier to better experience something as it was happening, developing. But really, what better era is there than ours, when we're able to enjoy Berserk like we do? So while you guys are just congratulating Miura, I will say thank you. Thank you Miura Kentarou for those 20 years of hard work and for your continuous, selfless pursuit of quality.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Aazealh said:
Anyway, we've just been through 20 years of greatness. I've sometimes wished I'd been born earlier to better experience something as it was happening, developing. But really, what better era is there than ours, when we're able to enjoy Berserk like we do? So while you guys are just congratulating Miura, I will say thank you. Thank you Miura Kentarou for those 20 years of hard work and for your continuous, selfless pursuit of quality.

Well said Aazealh. Miura deserves every bit of praise for what he has been doing for the past 20 years, he's not like most other people that are in his line of work [not even manga or comic books, even books] that just walk the standard, Miura exceeds that and continues to push the limits creating a series worth all the praise.

Thank you Miura, for creating Berserk and working as hard as you have.

Grail

Feel the funk blast
While I may only be echoing what's already been said so far, I'd like to extend my own congratulations and thanks to Mr. Miura for an awesome 20 years. While I've only been a fan for a little more than a quarter of those, I'm very glad that I'm able to enjoy such a pivotal point in the series as it's being published. :guts: Here's to some more unicorn action!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I've been trying to research the longest-running serialized seinen manga written by a single author. But I think there's an much less verbose, and ultimately better title that can be defended for Miura's achievement: longest-running fantasy series.

Admittedly, he probably achieved that title years ago.

It's really a tragedy that Kaoru Kurimoto, author of the lengthy Guin Saga novel series, couldn't live to see this. :sad:

Ko Ninja

¯\(O_o)/¯ クー
What a good month. I was dragging a Dreamcast home 10 years ago yesterday. Now the 20th anniversary of Berserk. Not that anyone cares but I also share the US birthday with PS2. :carcus:

Congratulations Kentarou Miura and thank you for giving me something to be so obsessed with and moved by :) You really have created the greatest manga of all time. :guts:

Walter said:
I've been trying to research the longest-running serialized seinen manga written by a single author.

I believe that should be Takao Saito's Golgo 13. Apparently it's been running since 1969.

Anyway, Congratulations to Kentaro Miura for creating Berserk through 20 years and still going strong. Impressive! It's fascinating thinking back twenty years ago - I was in elementary school, probably reading Donald Duck & Co. Little did I know what had been started at the other side of the world and what it would mean to me two decades later.

yesmilord

千年王国
NightCrawler said:
Hey you colorists/photoshop masters! Do something for this event.

I've always wanted to do cool stuff with Miura's work, but the problem is it's already so awesome to begin with that I can't really do much more to it lawl.

X

Xem

I'm still in the process of subscribing to YA, but don't think I'm gonna be able to afford it for at least 3 more months. :(

Anyone know a way to just order this specific issue in the USA? I'm actually willing to put a pretty penny into it.

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
Fantastic. I've been aboard about half that time and it just keeps getting better. Congratulations on an epic scale.

NightCrawler said:
Hey you colorists/photoshop masters! Do something for this event.

Haha, sure! PM me some ideas guys and I'll knock something out - I'll see if Proj is up for something too.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
If anyone's missed it, they should check out all the cool things Young Animal is releasing to celebrate the 20th anniversary:

http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=10790.msg175586#msg175586

X

Xem

The issue along with the Japanese edition of volume 34 have been ordered! The guy I talked to at the local Japanese bookstore seemed pretty used to hearing about this episode. =) I don't know if it's because a lot of people are ordering it or if he's a fan himself but he said it'd arrive in 3-4 weeks and I'd have my reserved copies!

I'm so excited it hurts me a little. :beast:

Thank god my girlfriend is a big Berserk fan too, I'm in total geek out mode now, and I'm gonna be paranoid about this package until I get it. Yet she "understands totally baby." :casca:

Top Bottom