Aphasia's 3D/Painting Madness.

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
Skip to page 5 to see the newest stuff.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Hey guys! How cool that there's a whole berserk community. I've read the majority of the manga, just have a few chapters to go before I finish it (at least what's done, that is)

Anyways, I'm a student studying digital art and media. My class project requires everyone to create a game character. I've decided to do Skull Knight, just because. I basically want to make this as badass as possible, and would love any critiques concerning accuracy, armor, or anything else you think sucks. I'm still working on the low-res mesh, but once I finish, I'll take it into Zbrush and pimp it out with normal and or/displacement maps.

I've collected a lot of reference, and even have a real skull to model from, but If anyone has any pics of the skull nights upper arm/upper leg/ hand armor, I would appreciate it. Those are the parts that are kind of shielded by the cape. Back shots would be appreciated too.

Here's what I have..

Body1.jpg

Skull.jpg

Sword.jpg

Hand.jpg

Foot.jpg

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Skull Knight 3D Model (Roar!)

Man, you picked the most difficult Berserk character to model. Bravo! :SK:

One thing I noticed pretty quickly, look carefully at SK's head in the manga. It's not necessarily _just_ a skull. It's actually a skull-shaped helmet. Also, the "crown" on his head doesn't actually go all the way around. I believe there are ~13 spikes on it, but I'm at work and don't have a reference handy :puck:

I'd also say I think his upper "lip", or at least the portion directly above his teeth, looks a little too elongated. Carving that back a bit would wipe off the goofy look he has on his face right now.

The sword looks great so far, but the shield is too tall and not wide enough as it is.

All this aside, it's an ambitious task you've set for yourself, so I tip my hat to you at the very effort.

Aphasia said:
Anyways, I'm a student studying digital art and media. My class project requires everyone to create a game character. I've decided to do Skull Knight, just because. I basically want to make this as badass as possible, and would love any critiques concerning accuracy, armor, or anything else you think sucks. I'm still working on the low-res mesh, but once I finish, I'll take it into Zbrush and pimp it out with normal and or/displacement maps.

Hi Aphasia,

Cool to see another ZBrush-Maya user :p. By the way, it's a nice start. If you are sure to make a game-character model, so you will not made a displacement map, because it's, of course, too heavy. Using normal maps will be efficient enough.
Your skull seems a little bit too realistic for the moment, but I m sure you are aware about it since it's just a base. The shield is not this regular, the angle of the point if more obtuse.

Keep it up man, can't wait to see the ZBrush part !

Aphasia

@Walter: You think it's the most difficult? I kind of thought that Guts berserk armor would be more complex than Skull Knights, but maybe that's just me. :badbone: I actually just recently noticed that his skull is a helmet, and has two little bolts, and a cut that goes around the head right behind the cheekbone. I've got some good shots of it. I'll probably add that detail when sculpting. I'll address those issues with his skull - I think he'll look better when he gets teeth, too. You're right, the shield is too tall. I've deleted the back side of thorns on his head, they stop where that armor plate comes up. Thanks a lot for the help. : D

@ Showguynie: Still have a lot to learn in Z-brush, but it's a sick app. Yeah, if I were to do a disp. map it would be to just to make it look pretty. I'm shooting to keep everything under 15K, which is still heavy, but hopefully less. Thanks Bro!

Maya isn't my friend today. I'm using our lab computers which are plenty capable but there's something wrong with the licensing or somesuch and it causes extreme lag every 15 seconds. Really hard to work. Good news is I have a new I-mac coming next week which should stomp all over anything I throw at it.

Peace for now! Updates soon hopefully.

Serpico

Farnese is the bomb diggity

Welcome to the forum! Always great to see more artists types around here.

Ahh, its funny I was just looking at stuff about using Zbrush to make cool normal maps before I came to SK.net :serpico:

Your model looks pretty good, and the armor in general looks really good. I agree with Walter about the upper lip, and the eyes are a bit too roundish I think. They should be more wide than tall (check the banner at the top of this page). Having the skull look right will really make or break the model in a lot of ways so you'll want to keep tweaking that as you go along.

15k might be a little high for a game model but SK in a unique character so its not like you would ever slap 10 of him on screen I suppose. Of course some of the detailing for the ribs and teeth and such could be done with normal maps if needed, but you probably know more about that than me.

Looking forward to future updates.

Aphasia

Thanks for the comment Serpico! I've taken your comment into consideration and made some changes, and I think it looks alot better. I'm still hardly able to work within maya and it's basically put progress at a standstill. I should get my new Imac next week though, Hurray! : D

15 is high for an average game model. I heard that Kratos from God of War 3 will have like 20 K. I'm still thinking about how to do the teeth: extruding from the skull or just creating..20 teeth. Unwrapping would be easier if they were seperate, I think.

Anyways, I got frustrated with the lag in Maya and decided to do some good ole' 2D. Let me know what you think of this guy. : D ROAR!

berserk.jpg

Wow, that is fucking amazing!! :isidro: Great work on the Berserker armor, I love the amount of detail on it.

Holy crap at that picture! It looks very well done, but if I had one complaint, it's that it looks very dragon-ish whereas the beast is usually presented in more of a dog/hound/wolf form, but still, it's really nice.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Very nice! A lot more organic than I hope it'll ever get for poor Guts. :beast:

PineappleSkewer

She's Deliciously Atrocious!

Egad, that's beautiful!
The detail in the armor is lovely, and those green and blues along with the foggy look in the BG really add to the creepiness!

By the way, your Skull Knight is looking awesome too!
I really like his foot :carcus: (that's such a weird thing to say...).

Serpico

Farnese is the bomb diggity

Aphasia said:
Thanks for the comment Serpico! I've taken your comment into consideration and made some changes, and I think it looks alot better. I'm still hardly able to work within maya and it's basically put progress at a standstill. I should get my new Imac next week though, Hurray! : D

15 is high for an average game model. I heard that Kratos from God of War 3 will have like 20 K. I'm still thinking about how to do the teeth: extruding from the skull or just creating..20 teeth. Unwrapping would be easier if they were seperate, I think.

Anyways, I got frustrated with the lag in Maya and decided to do some good ole' 2D. Let me know what you think of this guy. : D ROAR!

No problem. And yeah, 15k or more will probably be standard soon.

I like the 2D! You have some serious painting talent. Probably quite handy when you get to texturing.

Grail

Feel the funk blast

Those are some serious chops you've got there Aphasia, and I'm not just talking about the Beast. :slan:

Aphasia

Thanks for all the comments! I'm glad you like him. It was more of an abstract interpretation of the armor. So I've been painting up a storm since Maya is being so laggy. Here are a few very unfinished sketches. I wanted to paint Schierke, so I did this:

ShierkeGod.jpg

But then I recognized that it looked very similar to a page in the Manga. I abandoned the rotten god direction and started on one of her enjoying a peaceful evening on the porch of her awesome treehouse. Still very rough.

Shierke2.jpg

And this is the beginnings of Guts in the snow facing Griffith.

Guts-Snow.jpg

Made a few tweaks to the skull, not enough to update though. : (

Grail

Feel the funk blast

Wow, you're really cranking them out! :isidro:

All three are great, but the treehouse is definitely my favorite. Lots of subtle tones.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

I have to agree with Grail, I love the second picture. Schierke's expression in particular is adorable.

I screen capped Skullknight from the berserk game for you, hope it helps
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6zVhWD-isc

Aphasia

Thanks Guys!

Thanks Zodd for the screencap, big help. : )

Here's a Skull Knight update. Lather me in critiques! It'll only be harder to fix later. : ) Proportion, color scheme, accuracy, anything really.

Body2.jpg

Body1-1.jpg

Body3.jpg

Body4.jpg

Face.jpg

Front.jpg

Hand1.jpg

Leg.jpg

Side.jpg

Okay, so...Materials wise, that is armor right? As in it's made of steel? I've started searching for materials, and I collected a ton of bone and metal textures, and I'm not sure I should go more of a bone route, rusty metal or kind of a combo of sorts. I envision a worn metallic gray.

For a turntable I was thinking of having his hands propped in front of him on his sword and his head slightly downturned, with a small environment around him consisting of twisted trees that kind of hang off the platform. The polycount is still high right now but shouldn't be hard to get down later. I'd love to animate him even further down the road - twould be so much fun. : D

Will start z-brushing soon hopefully. I tweaked the skull quite a bit, hopefully it doesn't look so cheesy now. Still working on making the teeth look alright.

Thanks for any help in advance. Peace <3

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

It's coming together well. You've done most of the elements impressively. However, I still have critiques :badbone:

-Biggest thing: the skull still needs some work before it will really resemble SK. The mandible protrudes from the skull too much, making it appear as if SK has an overbite. Hem that in a bit and also the upper lip is too long still. Id say if you moved up the teeth up by around their height, it could look ok. Here's a great reference: http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=10425.msg174578#msg174578

Body3.jpg

The spike on the center of his back actually curves UPward, not downward.

-his ribcage looks good here, buuut, I think it needs to appear larger. It's quite large on SK, so it's not like his real ribcage or anything. Don't feel restricted to actual anatomy here, because it's a suit of armor.

-SK's coronet is actually composed of 9 spikes. not 8, and there's one in the center of the arrangement. These appear too large as well. If you could make them 25% less or so, I think it would look more accurate.

Aphasia

Thanks for your help Walter! I've finished modeling and unwrapping the character and I'm a lot happier with him now. I've started texturing, which has to be finished by monday. Hopefully post an update and start on the high poly soon!

EDIT: Okay, quick update! Here are some texture shots. Still a ton to be finished, haven't touched anything but color right now. Still needs specular, reflectivity, AO, all the good stuff. Peace and thanks again for the comments! :badbone:

3.jpg

1.jpg

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

That definitely grabbed my attention :isidro: I like where its going, but I'd like to see a non-dramatic angle to better judge it.

Top Bottom