Episode 307

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
DetriusXii said:
Just had a random musing, but let's say the physical world and the spiritual world is divided again and is divided quickly. Anyone living on three stories or higher of this mythical superstructure is going to plummet to their death and quite a few people are going to be crushed by the falling bodies plummeting towards them.

Could be, but we don't know how it really works, so the structure, once it has appeared in the corporeal world, could also remain there even if the worlds were suddenly split apart again for all we know. It would be fun to see it all crumble like the tower did in Albion though. :void:

Th3Branded0ne said:
We don't know for sure how long it took for all the astral creatures to appear and for Falconia to be there.

Yeah man, was it 30 seconds or a minute? Important details.

Th3Branded0ne said:
I don't think there's an undo button in the berserk world that will make this new "age of darkness" to go away as quickly as it seems that it has come.

That's a good point. If what happened were to be undone, maybe it'd take place over centuries, like what seemed to have happened in the past (spiritual beings and magic users slowly disappearing).

puella

Berserk forever
Holyvampire21 said:
Huh, So Rome was built in a day. :troll:
I wonder if some astral creatures slaved over it in secret for decades to prepare for its instantaneous appearance. :iva: It's a real "fantasia", right from the start.

By the way, I have been thinking about what could possibly lead Guts to stay in Elfhelm for a while.
Maybe the Elf King will tell him:

1) It takes a long time to cure Casca
2) It takes a long time to Guts to heal, including making his arm and eye regrow. :isidro:
3) Guts should learn some special skills to cope with Griffith.

Now, once they have decided to stay there for some time, what will they do?

1) Farnese masters her training to be a witch.
2) For Guts, what should he do? Farming or smithing?
3) Magnifico meets a girl there, which gives him a fair reason to stay? Or he starts business plans with the mischievous elves...
4) Farnese is a good reason for two of the guys to stay there, Roderick and Serpico.
5) Schierke should learn more about the real astral world and such.
6) Every member should listen to and learn from the Elf King to deal with the new world.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
puella said:
Now, once they have decided to stay there for some time, what will they do?

1) Farnese masters her training to be a witch.
2) For Guts, what should he do? Farming or smithing?
3) Magnifico meets a girl there, which gives him a fair reason to stay? Or he starts business plans with the mischievous elves...
4) Farnese is a good reason for two of the guys to stay there, Roderick and Serpico.
5) Schierke should learn more about the real astral world and such.
6) Every member should listen to and learn from the Elf King to deal with the new world.
Oh man, the possibilities are making me too excited! I could read a whole side comic of Magnifico's misadventures with the elves. His facial expressions are just too great. :magni:

Well, If there's another reason to be added for why they would stay, I would think the seas would be mighty unsafe after the merger of the worlds. Wouldn't even want to get near the beach after all that stuff went down. :magni: So they would have to prepare for sea travel in a whole new light I think. Magical wards on the ship?

Daijyashin

Berserk is Divine and Human
puella said:
By the way, I have been thinking about what could possibly lead Guts to stay in Elfhelm for a while.
Maybe the Elf King will tell him:

2) It takes a long time to Guts to heal, including making his arm and eye regrow. :isidro:

Yes I was wondering about this scenario too. Moreover, if that would be the case, I think that:

-His arm could be replaced with a magical one;
-Guts will be somehow able to control his actual one;
-As you said, he will gain back his eye and arm.

I think it is quite a possibility since the episode 287 events.

About the other members of Guts' party, I always thought that once on Elfhelm, it'd be a good chance to compare each other, for example Farnese and Serpico.
Maybe they could have a talk about the fact that they are kindred or something like that.

I guess that Guts would think how to act if Casca would turn sane again, and Azan may explain what happened after the Albion collapse.

Maybe we'll have some breathing space from everyone, even from Roderik and Magnifico.

Of course I'm almost sure that Puck is gonna be a guest star. :puck:

Hmm, wonder if the reason puck left elfhelm could cause a problem for them. probably not to much of a ruckus in the end, but always wondered why he's so quiet about the place.

Daijyashin

Berserk is Divine and Human
fuxberg said:
As much as Guts would like to have his arm back, I think he'd find that canon more useful than a real arm.

Yes but that arm was not able to grab the people he loves. I would not be that surprised if he choose his real arm.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
puella said:

I was thinking the other day that maybe at some point Roderick will have to leave the island, and by then Farnese could choose to go along with him. I think it would make for some interesting developments and a poignant reunion later on. Of course she could also stay and he'd promise to come back for her or something else equally romantic. So many possibilities.

Holyvampire21 said:
Well, If there's another reason to be added for why they would stay, I would think the seas would be mighty unsafe after the merger of the worlds. Wouldn't even want to get near the beach after all that stuff went down. :magni: So they would have to prepare for sea travel in a whole new light I think. Magical wards on the ship?

That's a good idea and I find it plausible, however putting wards on the ship would probably not take them very long (as in: it wouldn't take them years). It's also worth mentioning that they haven't actually arrived at Skellig yet. Maybe they will in the next episode, but maybe it'll take a few more before that.

Marik said:
-His arm could be replaced with a magical one

Seems kind of unlikely compared to the possibility of him gaining a certain "connexion" to his actual artificial forearm.

Holyvampire21 said:
Hmm, wonder if the reason puck left elfhelm could cause a problem for them. probably not to much of a ruckus in the end, but always wondered why he's so quiet about the place.

Might be. His secrecy about it has sparked numerous discussions in the past. A quick search should prove fruitful if you care to read more. :slan: Anyway, it will certainly be interesting, no matter what happens. After the Return of the Trolls, it's time for the Return of the Elf! :puck:

fuxberg said:
As much as Guts would like to have his arm back, I think he'd find that canon more useful than a real arm.

Not necessarily. Realistically a real arm is infinitely superior to a prosthesis, regardless of how good it is. The cannon is great but it doesn't make up for the rest. Besides, like Marik pointed out, the whole point of episode 287 was that the artificial arm will never be a perfect replacement for a real arm. That being said, your comment isn't devoid of interest in the sense that Guts' arm cannon is pretty much a staple of his character at this point. For him to regain his eye and arm would be quite an event and honestly I don't see it happening.

I´m liking the theories about Guts' arm, most of all the one where it presents the possibility of Guts prosthesis starting to act and feel like a real limb as an after effect of the Astral realm connecting with the real world. That would keep one of his character trademark that he had since volume 1 *and* give him a advantage in hand movement and coordination, which would probably work wonders with the Dragon Slayer.

I´m disappointed that Miura never went anywhere with Rakshas hidden from everyone´s sight during the events taking place at Ganishka's core. I thought he was going to take an opportunity at finally killing Griffith but he ended up doing nothing. Next time then.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Deathbringer said:
I´m disappointed that Miura never went anywhere with Rakshas hidden from everyone´s sight during the events taking place at Ganishka's core. I thought he was going to take an opportunity at finally killing Griffith but he ended up doing nothing. Next time then.

Well I'm sure Rakshas was up to something important, it's just we the reader are just meant to be kept in the dark about what he was doing there.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Deathbringer said:
I´m liking the theories about Guts' arm, most of all the one where it presents the possibility of Guts prosthesis starting to act and feel like a real limb as an after effect of the Astral realm connecting with the real world. That would keep one of his character trademark that he had since volume 1 *and* give him a advantage in hand movement and coordination, which would probably work wonders with the Dragon Slayer.

Yeah and most importantly it's what the preview picture we got seems to be hinting at.

Deathbringer said:

We should be careful not to take Rakshas' words when he and Griffith met too literally. So far he's been serving him like the others. Also, like VHB said, because we didn't learn what he was doing there doesn't mean it was meaningless. I guarantee you it wasn't. Just be patient. :rakshas:

Marik said:
About the other members of Guts' party, I always thought that once on Elfhelm, it'd be a good chance to compare each other, for example Farnese and Serpico.
Maybe they could have a talk about the fact that they are kindred or something like that.

I guess that Guts would think how to act if Casca would turn sane again, and Azan may explain what happened after the Albion collapse.

Maybe we'll have some breathing space from everyone, even from Roderik and Magnifico.

Of course I'm almost sure that Puck is gonna be a guest star. :puck:

Yes, I'm very much looking forward to seeing a time of reflection for Guts party. Good point about Azan, I'm hoping he shares his stories about what has been happening on his end since his disappearance, and why he is no longer a knight of the Holy See (it's obvious why, but I'm still interested in hearing about what the Holy See said to him and the like).

And I'm sure Puck and Ivarella are going to enjoy their stay very much.

And like Aaz said, they're not even at Skellig yet, maybe they will have an encounter with one of these new creatures before they reach their destination (like a sea based creature or an aerial creature)?

Deathbringer said:

We still have to even delve more deeply into the moonlight boy thing. But in the end, small details like with Rakshas come into play later at some point, which I really like about this series. Berserk doesn't simply pull plot conveniences out of nowhere.

That's a good idea and I find it plausible, however putting wards on the ship would probably not take them very long (as in: it wouldn't take them years). It's also worth mentioning that they haven't actually arrived at Skellig yet. Maybe they will in the next episode, but maybe it'll take a few more before that.
I didn't think it would take years either, Couple of week's top's. Rodrick's ship is pretty big, and depending on what it would all involve, could be pretty simple,(a day, just painting something on the bottom or the like. ) or really complicated, with a whole new look for the ship being the end result. (basically just engraving's all over the hull of the ship.) could be anything really. Of course, could be nothing too. :casca:

Well, I remember after the skull knight showed up and all hell broke loose, People wondered what happened to Rakshas then as well. he could have hitched a ride on skull knight to tie up any loose end's. :rakshas:

Just to be clear, Episode 307 is being printed in Young Animal 18, while the Berserk 20th Anniversary is Young Animal 19, correct? I kept thinking the 20th Anniversay was 9/25 but the 9/25 issue is 18?

http://www.e-hon.ne.jp/bec/SA/DetailZasshi?refShinCode=0900000004910283040999&Action_id=101&Sza_id=C0 Right?

EDIT: Nevermind, I got it figured out. Apparently The 10/9 Issue is the 20th Anniversary Edition (19) but will be ON SALE 9/25. I guess they release them 2 weeks in advance of the print dates.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I'd say that website you linked to just got the date wrong. Because if you look here: http://www.younganimal.com/berserk/34/ you can clearly see that issue 19 is the one with 307 and the 20th anniversary celebrations. And it's out this friday (9/25).

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Holyvampire21 said:
I didn't think it would take years either, Couple of week's top's.

Ok, but that's not really what puella had in mind when she mentioned staying in Elfhelm for a while. They don't even need any pretext other than rest to stay in there for months in the first place.

Skull Knight said:
EDIT: Nevermind, I got it figured out. Apparently The 10/9 Issue is the 20th Anniversary Edition (19) but will be ON SALE 9/25. I guess they release them 2 weeks in advance of the print dates.

YA issues are always dated after the next issue, never the actual date they are being released on. It can be a bit confusing, which is why I usually refer to them solely by their issue number myself.

Skull Knight said:
I got my copy of YA 19 ordered! :guts: Now it will be a very painful wait....I'm very excited to get this nice variant cover! :troll:

That's great, but please stop posting about it in this thread. Make one in the Merchandise section if needed. Also I'd like to remind everyone that buying one Young Animal is great, but that it's not supposed to be an exceptional event. Never forget that readers are supposed to purchase every issue they read (even if they just read Berserk).

With all this speculation over Guts regrowing things, if Guts WERE to regrow his eye at Elfhelm (which I doubt) he wouldn't know because his eyelid is sealed shut! Wasn't that the normal procedure to prevent infection in medieval times? Otherwise it would mean he's putting in a lot of effort to keep his eye closed when people are around and when he's alone too!

Maybe with the right elf dust he could regrow a limb like a lizard though! I would be happy just to see him recover and stabilize a bit since he hasn't been doing good physically for a long time now. His body has been put though so much and the armor is hurting as much as it is helping.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Skull Knight said:
Maybe with the right elf dust he could regrow a limb like a lizard though!

Yeah... Maybe not.

Anyway, moving back to the topic at hands: Falconia, I believe it could be very well be related to Gaiseric's old capital. It would concord with the Greco-Roman influence in the architecture and would provide a basis for its appearance, since that old city had both become legendary (see the tale told by Charlotte in volume 10) and was laying as ruins under Wyndham. Of course, like I told Deci in the Episode 306 thread, there's more going on than the city just reappearing like it used to be, since it's very doubtful it had a Falcon motif. But it looks like it was used as the foundation from which Falconia was then built and shaped. I find this whole idea very interesting, but the real awe-inspiring thing is to think it's been planned at least 25 volumes ago.

This gives another dimension to Walter's earlier post about the similarity between symbols of the two eras. It also opens the door to a lot of comparisons between Gaiseric and Griffith. Was Gaiseric's fall over a thousand years ago already part of the plan for the events currently happening? Was Griffith modeled after him? Ah, and about that round shape in the sky, I've come to the conclusion that it's just the top of Griffith's ridiculously huge castle. So big it completely dwarfs the city itself.

Random side note, but I'm hoping the Characters & World booklet included in this issue of YA will help us clarify some of the name spellings for which we still don't have an official confirmation.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
宮本 グリフィス said:
that's approximately where Gaiseric's Imperial Capital once was, something which still exists in the minds of the people of Midland, and like that water shrine in Enoch or Flora's tree, who's to say it can't exist again? Rome... rebuilt in a day. :SK:
Holyvampire21 said:
Huh, So Rome was built in a day. :troll:

Hey, try making that joke BEFORE it happens, buddy. :iva:

Aazealh said:
Anyway, moving back to the topic at hands: Falconia, I believe it could be very well be related to Gaiseric's old capital. It would concord with the Greco-Roman influence in the architecture and would provide a basis for its appearance, since that old city had both become legendary (see the tale told by Charlotte in volume 10) and was laying as ruins under Wyndham. Of course, like I told Deci in the Episode 306 thread, there's more going on than the city just reappearing like it used to be, since it's very doubtful it had a Falcon motif. But it looks like it was used as the foundation from which Falconia was then built and shaped. I find this whole idea very interesting, but the real awe-inspiring thing is to think it's been planned at least 25 volumes ago.

This gives another dimension to Walter's earlier post about the similarity between symbols of the two eras. It also opens the door to a lot of comparisons between Gaiseric and Griffith. Was Gaiseric's fall over a thousand years ago already part of the plan for the events currently happening? Was Griffith modeled after him? Ah, and about that round shape in the sky, I've come to the conclusion that it's just the top of Griffith's ridiculously huge castle. So big it completely dwarfs the city itself.

The Falconia Dome, where Apostles will engage in gladiatorial entertainment! Anyway, I hope it does turn out to be modeled directly off Gaiseric's kingdom as we've all speculated to some degree. First, it would be a fitting return considering how it was likely destroyed, almost like the worlds aren't just merging, but going back in time or regressing. Anyway, your response to my quote above contained some more relevant items, perhaps even concerning the would-be dome.

Aazealh said:
I wonder how SK would react to that. :SK: Would Griffith change the decoration? Or just sit on his old throne? :griffnotevil:

Anyway, I'd covered an even cooler idea in a previous thread: Griffith's dream castle on top of the hole that the Tower of Rebirth sat upon, and gruesome secret rituals taking place in the heart of the night, straight out of a Conan adventure.

:griff: : "Brings the prisoners to my private chambers!"

I definitely want to see Skully's reaction (though the fact none was previewed isn't promising for it in this episode), you might have been right on with the redecorating :ganishka:, and wouldn't it be ironic if Griffith's possible uber dome housed his previous home, when he was under the King's... attentive care. :rakshas:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
宮本 グリフィス said:
Anyway, I hope it does turn out to be modeled directly off Gaiseric's kingdom as we've all speculated to some degree. First, it would be a fitting return considering how it was likely destroyed, almost like the worlds aren't just merging, but going back in time or regressing.

Yeah, the whole "going back to how things were with a twist" thing is really intriguing. We need to find out what the God Hand's (or their master's) ultimate goal is exactly. :SK:

宮本 グリフィス said:
Anyway, your response to my quote above contained some more relevant items, perhaps even concerning the would-be dome.

Hahaha yeah, we'd seen it all coming! :void:

宮本 グリフィス said:
I definitely want to see Skully's reaction (though the fact none was previewed isn't promising for it in this episode), you might have been right on with the redecorating :ganishka:, and wouldn't it be ironic if Griffith's possible uber dome housed his previous home, when he was under the King's... attentive care. :rakshas:

"Home sweet home!"

I knew it had messed him up! :ganishka: Anyway, I think we'll see what SK has to say about it in Elfhelm. I imagine he'll have a talk with Guts there and will clarify things a little bit. Of course, some of the other inhabitants there could also be able to shine some light on how things were in the distant past and on what happened back then.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Aazealh said:
Yeah, the whole "going back to how things were with a twist" thing is really intriguing. We need to find out what the God Hand's (or their master's) ultimate goal is exactly. :SK:

Yeah, it's puzzling, one thought that occurs to me, though it's literally just the first thing I came up with considering the question, is that they needed to go through all this in order to install themselves as governors of the world of Gaiseric's era, except they couldn't do it as the world was then, so they had to get away from that world in order to even install themselves as governors, and now that they've fully realized that, they're reinstalling that old world, except with themselves already as the principle, if that makes any sense. Basically, just to control that world, they had to destroy it, then build it back up it again, from scratch, in their image. Anyway, just something out of my ass, I'll call it the "roundabout theory." :badbone:

Aazealh said:
Hahaha yeah, we'd seen it all coming! :void:

www.skullknight.net/griffith/arnoldisee.wav

Aazealh said:
"Home sweet home!"

I knew it had messed him up! :ganishka:

Yeah, Griffith's going to spend all his free time sitting in the dark of his old jail cell. :femto:

Aazealh said:
Anyway, I think we'll see what SK has to say about it in Elfhelm. I imagine he'll have a talk with Guts there and will clarify things a little bit. Of course, some of the other inhabitants there could also be able to shine some light on how things were in the distant past and on what happened back then.

I hope so, that talk has been a long time coming though. It's hard to imagine him being forward with information about himself at this point, but perhaps as you say, someone in Elfhelm will take the initiative and then force Skully to speak (like Schierke with the armor). I'm sure what Griffith's done will be the talk of the town, and it might even be Skully's place to report on it.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
宮本 グリフィス said:
Yeah, it's puzzling, one thought that occurs to me, though it's literally just the first thing I came up with considering the question, is that they needed to go through all this in order to install themselves as governors of the world of Gaiseric's era, except they couldn't do it as the world was then, so they had to get away from that world in order to even install themselves as governors

Brings back memories of my ooooold theory that the God Hand tried to recruit Gaiseric, but he told them to shove it. :badbone:

宮本 グリフィス said:
Yeah, Griffith's going to spend all his free time sitting in the dark of his old jail cell. :femto:

Brooding and thinking about Guts. His dream, at last! :ganishka:

宮本 グリフィス said:
I hope so, that talk has been a long time coming though. It's hard to imagine him being forward with information about himself at this point, but perhaps as you say, someone in Elfhelm will take the initiative and then force Skully to speak (like Schierke with the armor). I'm sure what Griffith's done will be the talk of the town, and it might even be Skully's place to report on it.

Yeah, I mean at this point it's going to be hard skirting around the issue. And knowing Guts' feelings towards cryptic talk, he might just get angry and "demand" answers. :guts:

Top Bottom