Starting BERSERK rpg elsewhere

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...
I'm starting to plan for a BERSERK rpg at another forum, so I thought I'd poke around for info here.
No, before you say it, I'm going to try to keep the characters AS FAR AWAY FROM THE BAND OF THE HAWK AS POSSIBLE.

I'm basing the game of the 3rd Ed. D&D ruleset. Leaving out demi-humans, and severely tweeking and discouraging magic users.
The plan as of yet is to start about 1 year before the end of the war. The players will start of in a random mercenary band, after that, it will be up to them. I do plan to be keeping VERY close track of the dates. I saw the map thread a few weeks ago, I'll probably dig that up and use that for distances.

Right now... I'm not sure what I'm looking for here. Mostly the point of this post is to help me keep what I do true to BERSERK. I'll probably stop by occasionaly for plot ideas when I'm stuck. I'm not looking for players from here because you'll all have an information advantage. But I'll probably put up a link if some one asks.

Asking my local gamers guild, we figured Guts was about level 8 at the hundred man fight, assuming level 1 fighters. That hold up in everyones mind? Despite my best reasonable efforts, they MIGHT run into characters at some point or other... As for other characters, I havn't a clue.

Majin_Tenshi

Whats wrong with D&D? Its clasic. Would you like to suggest a better system.

Right now I'm not sure what to do with magic. Judgeing from recent aplications, it is very powerfull but akward to use. So I'm wondering if anyone had a suggestion. I'm thinking of making starting level requirements...(now I have to explain the character generating huh?)

To generate characters, I'll give players a set number of stat points. These can be exchanged with age and level. You can take a younger age (youth penalties go away as the years pass) for more points or take less points for higher levels. I havn't started on the balance details yet.

D

Drachenfels

"Whats wrong with D&D?"

It's class based, to begin with? Sorry, I'll try to give you a better system tomorrow.

NERD.

Majin_Tenshi

Second edition did kinda limit your options. If you don't like being limited to A class you can allways multi-class. I have the books on hand for D&D, the only other book I have available is the core Vampire: the Masquarade book, and that is even loaned out.

3rd edition is very versetile. The classes don't controll what you can do. They just make you more inclined to certain areas. They handle attack rolls, saving throws, and Hit dice.
I'm not familiar with any skills that can't be taken for a class. I think that feats are open, just some have stat requirements and, for instance, a a non-mage can't take meta-magic feats.

The basic system is one I'm familiar with, and the other people on the board(it is a small board) are too.

-Video game/ Tabletop, Anime/manga nerd

Oh yea, I'm heading home tomarrow and all I have there is an old 486. Ironicly it is on a cable modem and this AMD Athlon is on worse then a dial-up.

D

Drachenfels

3E dnd is still very limited. For example, you must have a certain aligment to be a monk, among many other things. The main problem is that dnd is still a class, and not skill based system.

For a better character-representation system I would suggest SPECIAL or GURPS.

/Super nerd over and out.

Majin_Tenshi

A.) I've never heard of SPECIAL, or if I have I don't remember it. I've heard of GURPS but don't know anything about it.

As for alignment, the people I play with don't pay much attention to it. It makes sense that a disciplined fighter would have not have a chaotic alignment. It makes sense that a barbarian, a warrior from an uncivalized frontier, wouldn't have a lawful alignment.

D

Drachenfels

/nerd comes back, this time in supernerd stage2

Just look at the Ninja paradoxon.

On the one hand they don't give a crap, but on the other hand, ninjas are very careful and precise
(copyrighted by Rober Hamburger)

See?
Just because you don't give a crap(are chaotic) you don't have to behave like that all the time. Another fault of 3e, it restricts your character to what he can/is allowed to do, due the class and alignment.

As for alignment, the people I play with don't pay much attention to it. It makes sense that a disciplined fighter would have not have a chaotic alignment. It makes sense that a barbarian, a warrior from an uncivalized frontier, wouldn't have a lawful alignment.

Majin_Tenshi

I believe that a ninja has a code of honor. That code is a LAWFUL attribute.

elaborate on "don't give a crap." I'd elaborate on the ninja code of honor if I knew more then just it's existance.

My real qualm is that paladin. What if the paladin worships a chaotic evil god? They still have to be lawful good. Does that make sense? I don't think it does.

D

Drachenfels

Ninjas do WHATEVER they want WHENEVER they want.

And that's a fact.

Evil paladis are in fact pirates, and Ninjas kick them so hard in the nuts that their head fly into a donkey ass and they spent the rest of their life eating donkey crap.

D

Drachenfels

Already made your pants wet, matey?
tough.gif

Majin_Tenshi

No... No... The two things are completly unrelated.
I just thought you were trying to make sense then you proved me wrong.

Do to lack of interest, I'll happily accept anyone here who wants to play. Just ask me to post the link.
I'll probably start around the second week of december.

Majin_Tenshi

My that sounds interesting. Especialy since only Ravnos are supposed to be past india. I am intrigued by these Chinese vamps and the "hooded mandarin."

My, this is getting bad. I can't get ANYONE to play...

ShinHell9

I started on here when I was like 14...
Drachenfels said:

And that's a fact.

Evil paladis are in fact pirates, and Ninjas kick them so hard in the nuts that their head fly into a donkey ass and they spent the rest of their life eating donkey crap.

your some what wrong: ROUGE ninja's do whatever the hell they feel like, but others do whatever in best for thier clan.

also ninjas were not strong they relied on thier stealth to kill or evade enemies to achive thier goals...and ninjas cant be evil paladins because they were not evil nor were their any christians in Japan during that era...also you should know this but if you don't i'll fill you in: A KATANA (long curved japanese blade) was never used by any, because it's too hard to conceal and ninjas were not very wealthy. I don't mean to offend you. You probably knew this anyway but if you didn't now you know.

ShinHell9

Majin Tenshi said:
I believe that a ninja has a code of honor. That code is a LAWFUL attribute.
I myself have studied shinobis (or ninjas as they were translated to), and I know alot of facts:
1. They did have what you might call a code.
2. It wasn't lawful because they were against samurai's and samurai's were the government.
3. A rouge ninja does not have any "codes of honor".
4. ninjas did not wear masks (well maybe sometimes) & never ever ever wore armor (ummm if you got some clanky armor on your back how in hell are you sopposed to silently kill)
5. THEY LOOKED LIKE EVERONE ELSE. why? because it would be too damn easy for them to be spotted out if they looked different.
6. They had short straight blades (no they did not use katanas)
7. they were not evil, i do not know if you were trying to say they were evil but they're not. of course any aristocrat or dodai (I think they were called that) would be pro-samurai and say ninjas were evil.
8. They used women to help kill (for obvious sexual reasons that i'd rather not point out)

thats only part of what I know but If you wanna know mor I know a good book that was made to help people understand ninjas.

its name is Ninjitsu history and tradition by dr. Masaki Hatsumi

Majin_Tenshi

The lawful attribute does not mean legal laws.
Lawful means there are rules to their life. A code is sufficient for that. Stealth assasinations is a field which would require some discipline, another lawful trait.

Lets see... In a palidian game I once played, systems failure i think, there was an alaignment system that parraleled D&Ds. The lawful evil equivilant said you lived with a code of honor.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
ShinHell9 said:
Drachenfels said:

And that's a fact.

your some what wrong: ROUGE ninja's do whatever the hell they feel like, but others do whatever in best for thier clan.

also ninjas were not strong they relied on thier stealth to kill or evade enemies to achive thier goals...and ninjas cant be evil paladins because they were not evil nor were their any christians in Japan during that era...also you should know this but if you don't i'll fill you in: A KATANA (long curved japanese blade) was never used by any, because it's too hard to conceal and ninjas were not very wealthy. I don't mean to offend you. You probably knew this anyway but if you didn't now you know.
Geezus man, click the damned link that Drach sent...

ShinHell9

Walter said:
ShinHell9 said:
Drachenfels said:

And that's a fact.

Geezus man, click the damned link that Drach sent...
ummmm it doesn't work...

Majin_Tenshi

*... Slaps forehead*
Not that anyone cares about the topic, but the board should be up in a few days, rule variations shortly there after.
I intend to start the game by mid January at the absolute latest.

Top Bottom