Additions to the 'Characters Section'

Seeing Anna in the latest episode reminded me of something I was told some time ago.....

Walter said:
Already considered and ousted Anna. Buzzsaw as well. Both for the following reason: near worthless characters. If Anna becomes a more vital role in the future, then yeah, I'll add her. Same goes for Buzzsaw.

Well, although her role hasn't been expanding a lot, she is now here for a long time, has been witnessing a lot of crucial events, and most important..... even Bazuso is now in the 'BERSERK Encyclopaedia'!

My question is : isn't it finally time for Anna to be in the 'Characters Section'?? :guts:

Walter said:
Characters section? What characters section? :iva:

Well, of course I meant the Golden Age part of the 'Character GUIDE', appendix A.2 of the Encyclopaedia in other words!! :guts:

Sometimes it's hard to think in french and write in english!!!!!!

But I'll try again when the next break occurs, I know one day Anna will make it! (Damn, even the Ogre has it's own entry!! :puck:)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
You are correct, it has been filed away in the Appendix. :void:

The character section isn't something I'm interested in moving forward with. I'd rather have a more detailed Glossary, which is what Ive been working on the past year or two.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I need to add her and several others soon. Including Falconia.

That's what this section is really for: alerting me when or if I need to update particular sections, or if something needs to be corrected.

Also if its of any help, the pontiff and the pirate captain are not in the encycolpedia. Nor is the Kushan gentleman(name escapes me) who helped the midland prisoners escape from occupied midland while wearing kushan get up.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Jaze1618 said:
Also if its of any help, the pontiff and the pirate captain are not in the encycolpedia. Nor is the Kushan gentleman(name escapes me) who helped the midland prisoners escape from occupied midland while wearing kushan get up.
The Kushan was Jaris, and thanks for the others.

Made a list of entries I could add. Some are obscure and others are obvious additions that need to be made. I've put an * next to those I think aren't really worth the effort of including, but I'd like to get a consensus before I start researching/writing.

*Mayor of Koka
Colette
*Dahl (minister/executor of the Snail/Slug Count's affairs in vols 1-2)
*Hassan (Adonis' aid)
Valancia (mercenary who fights Silat at tournament)
Anna
Barbo (criminal who fights Wyald)
Pirate captain
Giorgio Vandimion
Policiano Vandimion
Eliza (Foss daughter)
Guardians (of Misty Valley)
Volkov (battering ram apostle)
The Pontiff
Jaris

And of course, there are other things than characters to add now:

Falconia
Ganitree (tentatively titled) :badbone:

Regarding the Hydra, Harpies, Dragons, Unicorns etc. ... since there are bound to be a plethora of new creatures, I might just give them their own subsection and list them all at once. Thoughts?

Don't forget the pontiff :serpico:

Otherwise everyone else on that list looks good. I agree with that the characters with * are low priority. Anna and the Pontiff are solid upper priority IMO. Jaris seems to have played an important enough of a role to be given a spot.

Volkov and the pirate captain both have had recurring roles, and then the guardians of misty valley (some of them) also had recurring roles if you count their roles when they were still alive and human.

The Vandimions are also noteworthy.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Ah yeah, I had him in, but he accidentally got deleted along with Crabbingham and Crabzales. :puck:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
The Kushan was Jaris

His name was changed to Jarif in the volume. Get it right! :miura:

Walter said:
Regarding the Hydra, Harpies, Dragons, Unicorns etc. ... since there are bound to be a plethora of new creatures, I might just give them their own subsection and list them all at once. Thoughts?

I think that's beyond the scope of the glossary. They do need a subsection, but it should go along with a character section.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aazealh said:
His name was changed to Jarif in the volume. Get it right! :miura:
Hey, if that's the only thing I got wrong, I'm happy :troll:

Serpico said:
I'm not sure she was named but you could add Serpico's mother as well.
I considered it, but... I dont even know what that would bring to the table. Her entry would essentially say that she had an affair with Vandimion who gave birth to Serpico, making him part-Vandimion. But that's touched on in Serpico's entry "Farnese's closest friend since childhood, and secretly her half-brother."

Serpico

Farnese is the bomb diggity
Walter said:
I considered it, but... I dont even know what that would bring to the table. Her entry would essentially say that she had an affair with Vandimion who gave birth to Serpico, making him part-Vandimion. But that's touched on in Serpico's entry "Farnese's closest friend since childhood, and secretly her half-brother."

Well that makes sense. Her part, even her death, was mostly part of Serpico's character development, and she really had very little of her own. I never thought she was worth adding but it looked like with some of the possible new entries you were going for completeness. Nice job on the new icons by the way. That Griffith is a huge upgrade to the old one.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Minotaur said:
If it's not too much trouble could you add pictures to the glossary like you do in the characters section?
It actually would be quite a bit of trouble. Not everything has a picture associated with it, and I'd have to recode the entire php to make that happen.

But it's probably going to end up with some kind of image, likely black and white as they appear in the manga, in another evolution in the (distant) future. Until then, you'll just have to use your imagination when reading the Guts character entry :guts:

While you're making additions, Walter, I saw an error (or what I believe is an error):
Adonis
Son of Count Julius, Adonis was likely to become the General of the White Hawk army, but his life is cut short in a mistaken assassination by Guts.

Shouldn't it be White Dragon?

That being said, outstanding work on the Glossary. It's been a while since I've read it, but going back and reading it, the content is really solid. Two thumbs way up :puck:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Chaos said:
It's been a while since I've read it, but going back and reading it, the content is really solid. Two thumbs way up :puck:
If it's so solid, why is Puck frowning at me? :sad:

Top Bottom