Current Episodes

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Current Episodes Thread

Sparnage said:
It'll be interesting to see the next chapter if it continues on from that point, if he is completely done with both of them or tries to help that womans wound. If he did try to help her, I can't picture him seeming too concerned judging by the end of 243.

Well, from what I've read, this is supposedly a one shot episode, so we should be picking up somewhere else next time, whether it be with Kojiro or Musashi, we probably won't get any further a resolution concerning this.

Sparnage said:
Yeah, might have to lean towards the latter personally, but I'll keep an open mind.

Again, it's interesting to contrast with Musashi. No way to truly compare, because he wouldn't be in this situation in the first place, and if he was, the woman would be Otsu, in which case, no way the other guy leaves alive afterward. So while Musashi would have murdered the guy... it may be because he's a better person in general.

It all comes back to Musashi finding meaningful relationships and connections in his life while Kojiro remains something of an enigmatic sociopath, sexually and otherwise. There's other neat little things to compare, but, another time...

Sparnage said:
And regarding the later posts in 242, I agreed with most of what you said, but couldn't really think of anything good to add that was worthy of following the last few posts, so I remained silent. :(

Well, I'm just glad to hear you saw it and didn't think it was bullshit. A little follow up for fun; as a fighter yourself, what did you think of Musashi forgetting to draw his sword against Den?
Ever forget your trunks or something important before a match? :carcus:

Current Episodes Thread

Mushi said:
Well, I'm just glad to hear you saw it and didn't think it was bullshit. A little follow up for fun; as a fighter yourself, what did you think of Musashi forgetting to draw his sword against Den?
Ever forget your trunks or something important before a match? :carcus:

Hmmm..... after my fight I completely forgot about my jeans, left them at the arena. I'm pretty sure that was partly because I was scattered from several hard hits to the head, they were a good pair too. ::)

Seriously though regarding that scene with Musashi and Den, I liked how they portrayed Musashi being so fine tuned in his skills he acted completely on instinct. It was an interesting concept, but of course I can't say I've ever heard of anything that extreme happening.

Muscle memory is very interesting. When fighters are training (and I'm sure it's the case for most physical activities) they make a conscious effort to fine tune their abilities so next time they don't even have to think about it. You probably already know all this from playing Basketball regularly. I was always told brilliance will come out when you are so in the moment you don't even think about it, your mind is fresh and flowing, there are no distractions.
I suppose the idea of reaching the peak of physical skill is getting to the point where you make all the right decisions when attacking and defending, polishing coordination so you can utilise significant power without using much energy but all without much conscious thought. I liked how in Chapter 220 when the Yoshioka men are asking him how to explain defeating Denshichiro, and he couldn't really answer because it was all related to feelings and reflexes.

I was a slow learner in that sense, I think too much about random shit all the time and it was hard to break that habit while training, particularly sparring. I think I developed a better mindset in the ring through two factors; on one side I was training my mind diligently to achieve a better fighting mind frame, but at the same time all those times I was punched braincells died, giving me less to think about and keeping me more focused. ;D

Regarding my personal muscle memory, these days I don't do much more than shadow sparring so I'm not as good anymore, but I noticed when I punch my chin knows to stay down and wrists remain straight which is good. Once a ball hit the wall right near me, without thinking I tucked my elbows next to my ribs and covered my face with my fists. Didn't achieve anything of course but there was something comforting about it.

One day I'll rip the DVD of my fight and youtube it, will post here if I ever do.

Griffith

Current Episodes Thread

Sparnage said:
Hmmm..... after my fight I completely forgot about my jeans, left them at the arena. I'm pretty sure that was partly because I was scattered from several hard hits to the head, they were a good pair too. ::)

:ganishka: Excellent (except the hard hits to the noggin)!

Sparnage said:
Seriously though regarding that scene with Musashi and Den, I liked how they portrayed Musashi being so fine tuned in his skills he acted completely on instinct. It was an interesting concept, but of course I can't say I've ever heard of anything that extreme happening.

Interesting take on that scene, I hadn't even really thought of it that way. That adds a lot to it.

Sparnage said:
Muscle memory is very interesting. When fighters are training (and I'm sure it's the case for most physical activities) they make a conscious effort to fine tune their abilities so next time they don't even have to think about it. You probably already know all this from playing Basketball regularly. I was always told brilliance will come out when you are so in the moment you don't even think about it, your mind is fresh and flowing, there are no distractions.

Yeah, I've experienced that through basketball, but for describing this, I think it's even more apparent through something like playing musical instruments. You definitely have those moments when you lose yourself and play completely over your head without thinking about it. And intense practice for performance is so that playing on stage or in front of people, you don't have to think about playing at all, you just do it.

Sparnage said:
I suppose the idea of reaching the peak of physical skill is getting to the point where you make all the right decisions when attacking and defending, polishing coordination so you can utilise significant power without using much energy but all without much conscious thought. I liked how in Chapter 220 when the Yoshioka men are asking him how to explain defeating Denshichiro, and he couldn't really answer because it was all related to feelings and reflexes.

Ooooh, I love that insight for that scene.

Sparnage said:
I was a slow learner in that sense, I think too much about random shit all the time and it was hard to break that habit while training, particularly sparring. I think I developed a better mindset in the ring through two factors; on one side I was training my mind diligently to achieve a better fighting mind frame, but at the same time all those times I was punched braincells died, giving me less to think about and keeping me more focused. ;D

I'm always a slow learner with these kinds of things, mostly because I'm lazy though, and I'm not even losing braincells. Actually, I do lose braincells while building my alcohol memory, and that's really the only thing I'm good about practicing regularly. :guts:

Sparnage said:
Regarding my personal muscle memory, these days I don't do much more than shadow sparring so I'm not as good anymore, but I noticed when I punch my chin knows to stay down and wrists remain straight which is good. Once a ball hit the wall right near me, without thinking I tucked my elbows next to my ribs and covered my face with my fists. Didn't achieve anything of course but there was something comforting about it.

When I go out to play hoops after a long hiatus (sadly I haven't played much lately since my vision went in the tank, need contacts), I always warm up by trying old moves, like if I can still crossover and such without much trouble, usually it's like riding a bike and you're surprised how easily it comes back, brings back your confidence. But I always take special care on my first shot, because if you're not warmed up and your body doesn't physically/intuitively know the weight of the ball after so much time, you can really embarrass yourself... like heaving it a foot short of the basket. =)

The flipside of that is those days when you shoot late into the night, and even though you're body and arms are at their most tired, even if your shooting arm hurts or feels tweaked, you'll make shots effortlessly, even in the dark. You can literally just chuck it up, off-balance, turnaround, midair, even thinking it's ridiculous, and it'll still swish in. It's a warm and addictive feeling, you're tired but you feel like you're in some elevated state because of it, like you're high somehow, and I'm sure it has something to do with adrenaline and endorphins (I'm also sure we could look it up now that I think about it =). But, relating this back to Vagabond, it very much reminds of chapter 236 when Musashi is spent and yet his sword is more formidable than ever, striking harder and more fluidly, and he's literally cutting guys in half. It's the exact same feeling, including the heaviness in your body yet effortlessness in your execution, not trying, but truly and purely doing. It even occurs to me now that Inoue is an avid basketball player himself, and that he may have been applying the exact same feeling I'm describing on the basketball court to Musashi from his personal experience.

Sparnage said:
One day I'll rip the DVD of my fight and youtube it, will post here if I ever do.

That would be quite awesome. Was it proshot? We'd have to embed the video here somewhere, the official SK.net lethal enforcer! :carcus:

Current Episodes Thread

Mushi said:
Yeah, I've experienced that through basketball, but for describing this, I think it's even more apparent through something like playing musical instruments. You definitely have those moments when you lose yourself and play completely over your head without thinking about it. And intense practice for performance is so that playing on stage or in front of people, you don't have to think about playing at all, you just do it.

That's probably is a better example. Regrettably I can't comment too much on that as I never played an instrument, although several family members have. It may at times be harder to flow in sports as the situation constantly changes, requiring the person to be more adaptive. Then again there are some difficult songs out there to play, and perfection is more expected with music.

I'm always a slow learner with these kinds of things, mostly because I'm lazy though, and I'm not even losing braincells. Actually, I do lose braincells while building my alcohol memory, and that's really the only thing I'm good about practicing regularly. :guts:

Haha, I'm too a tad guilty in that practice field. ;D

When I go out to play hoops after a long hiatus (sadly I haven't played much lately since my vision went in the tank, need contacts), I always warm up by trying old moves, like if I can still crossover and such without much trouble, usually it's like riding a bike and you're surprised how easily it comes back, brings back your confidence. But I always take special care on my first shot, because if you're not warmed up and your body doesn't physically/intuitively know the weight of the ball after so much time, you can really embarrass yourself... like heaving it a foot short of the basket. =)
A friend and I have been playing a bit of one on one in Basketball recently, but haven't reached that level you speak of. When things come back easily it seems to be after a person becomes quite profficient. Whereas for me and Basketball, my skill level is at the point where it's kind of random if I'm having a good day or not, and I have little control over if I'm shooting well.

A funny thing about when my friend and I play, before I shoot I "feel it" before hand. I don't know if you get this too, but I know before I shoot it in from a particular place what the chances of scoring are based on my mental clarity. More commonly again is when I don't feel it before I shoot, I don't have a clear head at whatever particular time and I know there's little chance of getting a hard shot right. I suppose my body and soul are simply not on an appropriate wavelength with the universe at that particular time.

With billiards I used to be more like that when I couldn't play well consistently, but in recent months I played regularly and I found I had more control over a good game than I once did. I also think now I could pick that up more quickly than Basketball if I stopped playing for a while. Then there's certain individuals don't need regular practice to pick up shit quickly regardless of their inexperience, I hate people like that. :puck:

The flipside of that is those days when you shoot late into the night, and even though you're body and arms are at their most tired, even if your shooting arm hurts or feels tweaked, you'll make shots effortlessly, even in the dark. You can literally just chuck it up, off-balance, turnaround, midair, even thinking it's ridiculous, and it'll still swish in. It's a warm and addictive feeling, you're tired but you feel like you're in some elevated state because of it, like you're high somehow, and I'm sure it has something to do with adrenaline and endorphins (I'm also sure we could look it up now that I think about it =). But, relating this back to Vagabond, it very much reminds of chapter 236 when Musashi is spent and yet his sword is more formidable than ever, striking harder and more fluidly, and he's literally cutting guys in half. It's the exact same feeling, including the heaviness in your body yet effortlessness in your execution, not trying, but truly and purely doing. It even occurs to me now that Inoue is an avid basketball player himself, and that he may have been applying the exact same feeling I'm describing on the basketball court to Musashi from his personal experience.

Yeah that's a funny one I still don't understand. Like sometimes I've had a good night when I had trained for an hour but my strikes still maintained a good amount of power and coordination, yet it's quite common in martial arts that the more tired you get, the more sloppy you become with strength, coordination and reflexes.

My fight was a good example of that, I lost because of my lack of endurance over him. The first and second round I foolishly used up all my energy like I was on a meth binge. By the end of the third round however I was so exhausted I was fighting like I was absolutely plastered.

I think that last scene with Musashi killing the remaining Yoshioka at such a level of exhaustion and pain was a big part in showing his step up in abilities on a new level instinctively. But as I said I don't think I fully understand it.

That would be quite awesome. Was it proshot? We'd have to embed the video here somewhere, the official SK.net lethal enforcer! :carcus:

Haha, I'll have to get around to it, never ripped a DVD before. The promoters of the fight arranged it to be filmed, and it had commentary but it wasn't up to a professional standard. All the fights were still amateur, and they couldn't even spell my fucking name right >:(

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Current Episodes Thread

Preview for Vagabond 244

244act4.gif

244buo4.gif

Because you know you're wielding a semi right now.

[quote author=Inoue Takehiko on the Web]

Long thing cold has been popular at the work place. ど?- It is with not to be the case that heat is produced, is 咳 the り throat to be painful, the nasal mucus slipperily is.

[/quote]

Such words warm the soul, do they not?

Looks like Jotaro, Takuan and even Otsu are back. About bloody time. Too bad it'll be so very short lived.

More to the point, I now have a new "?!" image.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Current Episodes Thread

Fucking loling at the top image.

Looks like Mushi and Otsu will have a real reunion this time.

Current Episodes Thread

"Hey guys what's up I just killed 70 people."

Takuan: "Ah! You know,shit happens."

Well,I guess that Musashi's character is going to change a lot after last incident.Would he try to hide the carnage to the others or is he going to take a philosophical approach to it?

Like "I had to kill them all for the sake of my manhood"

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Current Episodes Thread

Baldulf said:
Well,I guess that Musashi's character is going to change a lot after last incident.Would he try to hide the carnage to the others or is he going to take a philosophical approach to it?
I sincerely doubt it... The real question to me is how Otsu will react knowing her boyfriend is a serial killer.

Griffith

Current Episodes Thread

Baldulf said:
"I had to kill them all for the sake of my manhood"

Regardless of context, this is excellent, I would actually go along with him saying that for the hell of it. Finally, a worthy Mushi quote. =)

BTW, do you think he and Takuan might want to revisit the meaning of kindness?

Walter said:
The real question to me is how Otsu will react knowing her boyfriend is a serial killer.

"It was 70 one on one acts of self-defense."

Again, she didn't seem bothered when he cut Denshichiro's guts out and left him a bloody mess on the ground, even Takuan was taken aback. =)

I mean, she knew he was a killer back in Miyamoto, and that's when he was killing locals. I don't even know how to categorize a massacre like this, forget serial killing, you could call it as as an act of genocide as far as the Yoshioka go.

mushitler.jpg

Uriel

Current Episodes Thread

Arrrr, indeed.

We all know Takuan is going to have a lot to say about it, as usual. Then again, he has a lot to say about everything, yet manages to do it without bleating. I think I figured out why I admire the guy as much as I do. MOMENT OF ZEN, PEEPS!

Uriel

Current Episodes Thread

WHEN WILL THE SARCASM END?

Seriously, I'd like to know how you think Musashi is doing this for the sake of his wang.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Current Episodes Thread

Uriel said:
WHEN WILL THE SARCASM END?

Seriously, I'd like to know how you think Musashi is doing this for the sake of his wang.
Manhood as a phrase has other uses :puck: .

Uriel

Current Episodes Thread

/sarcasm.

I get we're talking otoko no tameni here :troll: Still, only a few days left!

Griffith

Current Episodes Thread

Since we're being sarcastic, there's an alternate theory out there on what the sketched depict:
Aquarius said:
From Inoue's draft sketches, I guess it will be centered on Mat'hachi and Akemi. Well... It's not like we didn't get our share of swords fighting lately.

:void:...

Uriel

Current Episodes Thread

Haha!

I had seen that, but decided to spare you. Hitler Mushi, however, was not so kind.

Preview for Vagabond 245

245aba7.gif

245bff3.gif

My, how the week flew by!

Well, seeing as we're out in the cold right now, it would be pointless to make another thread for this -- anything we discuss on 244 would end up in the 245 thread anyway, so I'm trying to keep things tidy here.

[quote author=Inoue Takehiko on the Web]

New Year party of the staff is not done yet. When with says dawn 4 o'clock the field manuscript rises, as for the kind of vigor which is drunk from there there is no either one drop....

[/quote]

Seems like an introspection chapter for Otsu and Jotaro and one tired Musashi. It sort of looks like they've been fumbled by someone in that second panel of the first preview image.. but it might just be Takuan remembering that he long overdue to a smart-ass comment.

I'm working on finding some scans for 244, but it has been somewhat unfruitful so far.

Griffith

Current Episodes Thread

These chapters are a lot smaller than I remember...

Yeah, this blows. I'd see if Saiya would be willing to check out the local news stand for us (might it be too late for 244?), but the fear is that as soon as he gets it for us, the chapter appears online the next day and it was a waste of his time, especially since I don't think he follows Vagabond (I guess we'll find out if he responds to this =).

Anyway, there's still entertainment to be had:

Aquarius said:
I know this isn't the most suited thread for this, but the drafts for chapter #245 are out on Inoue Takehiko's website.
It seems Matahachi will meet Otsu and Jotaro, and collapses in front of them.

Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
If things happen like in the novel, Jotaro will have to leave Otsu for some reason (captured by a rogue in the novel), whereas Matahachi will take Otsu to Edo and treat her as a slave. The next arch of the story would then take place in Edo (Tokyo)... Wait and see.

I'm actually starting to be convinced. He's getting closer anyway, at least there's no mention of characters that killed themselves a couple of issues ago being present. =)

Griffith

Current Episodes Thread

Continuing on graph paper.

vol.gif

246a.gif

246b.gif

Inoue said:
At the work place, the small stomach being less crowded during nighttime alone job, what to serve, searching the shelf. ガッツリ the time when we would like to avoid, "the calling and the persimmon the sack it can be less crowded the fact that you eat tweet," throws one knob plate っ. "! ? "" マズ! ! "They were, 2005 of appreciation time limit. The taste like the petroleum did.

2008.2.4 Takehiko Inoue

Well, Matahachi looks pretty bitter, but for once it's justified, "Push me out of the way? I'M the one that saved him!" Of course, she didn't even seem to recognize Mata, and he might not be too excited to see Mushi when he's conscious, after their last meeting, anyway.

I wonder if the graph paper switch is because it makes it easier to plan, or if Inoue was like me when my good paper was running short and so I'd dig out that old graph paper book I never used for and draw on that. It was always the last resort in school. =)

Kez Sez: go get it.

Uriel

Current Episodes Thread

Proper Bastard.

Gah, lack of translations. I swear as soon as I can I'll take this translating project on by myself! :puck:

"The taste like the petroleum did."

Hmmm, enigmatic words. But what does it mean?!

Top Bottom