Current Episodes

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Re: Current Episodes Thread

I"m going that the first sketches are in the Yagyu's territory and the last ones about Musashi coming back to his senses realizing he has to smile :guts:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew

It also looks like Sloggo might be raging there on the bottom right page. :zodd:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Speaking of Sloggo, I was reading through Vagabond again, and in volume 2, just as Kohei is about to kill Musashi after slashing him down form the tree, Kohei is distracted/scared shitless by a projection from Takuan. It looks like Takuan's Sloggo. Him all wrapped in buddhist imagery with a sword. I'd forgotten about the scene, but it's put into a new light now that Inoue has focused so much on this aggressive ego projection in recent chapters.

Griffith

Good call, I agree that all the sloggo stuff puts that in a new light, but I'd be wary of retroactively labeling them the same. For one, we see Takuan's sloggo for sure in volume 29, and it's quite different from the volume 2 image and more like what we see from Musashi and Ittosai. Of course, what happens in volume 2 could be it in a more concentrated, purposeful form, but it could also just be a similar artistic depiction of blood thirst or power. I don't know, but I think it bears more discussion, any other thoughts or counterpoints?

Griffith: There's a reply waiting for you! =)
Walter: next id bring up what In'ei said
as it's likely just that
Griffith: Makes an enemy of everyone!
Walter: but what KOhei says afterward is interesting too
that he "cut me down with his mind."
with HIS MMMMMMMMMMMIND
Griffith: Well, here's my take: that was something akin to Guts fucking an Apostle on page one. =)
Walter: hm? sorry you lost me.
Griffith: Takuan was never seen as so formidable again, not like THAT anyway. Musashi didn't feel it, and it's hard for me to imagine Kohei as he was portrayed later saying that.
"HE CUT ME DOWN WITH HIS MIND!!!!"
It's kinda cheesy I mean.
Walter: yeah it seems very out of character.
even for Inoue
Griffith: Relative to where things went.
Walter: but....
Takuan always seems to me that he has many tricks up his sleeve
capable of many things
Griffith: But, Sloggo actually makes it better.
Yeah, Musashi even puts him up there with Yagyu and In'ei as a sage.
Walter: he even says that he had that kind of anger early on
Griffith: But would he frighten Kohei more than Kojiro would?
Walter: apparently!
Griffith: lol
Facts are facts!
Walter: hahhaha
does Kojiro project taht kind of bloodthirst though?
Griffith: I just take that scene with a grain of salt.
Walter: he seems more at peace with his violent side
Griffith: But was that bloodthirst from Takuan?
Or HIS MIIIIIIIND!!!!
Walter: well, take the two examples side by side
Takuan's projection and In'ei's reflection of Musashi's bloodthirst
the In'ei thing plays out in Musashi's mind, like an alternate reality. In Takuan's thing, it has all these weird intricate details
Griffith: I think they're all in the same ballpark, maybe just not the same team, or position.
Walter: buddhist imagery, ornate accessories
Griffith: Yeah, it seemed like a special... Buddhist technique.
Projecting chi.
Walter: Monk... with a SWORD
Griffith: Takuan has the authority of GOD behind him. =)
"He defeated me! He cut me down with his mind!"
Yeah, that's definitely something that happened in volume 2. =)
Walter: hahahah
i think i pursed my lips when I read it
"Did he... really just say that? Hmmmm...."
Griffith: I'm glad Ito wasn't around then lol
"That Monk, he beat me with his mind!"
"I'll beat him... with this stick!"
Walter: i can see Takuan and Ittosai having a drink together
so at odds theyd get along great
i need to reread that volume about Takuan's past
28 or 29, cant remember
Griffith: Yeah, it wasn't even when he was younf.
His disgust seemed pretty recent, at least judging by his looks.
Walter: aha, its 29
the whole subplot of Ogawa really got screwed with the pacing, I felt
a short scene spread out over like 6 episodes
spread so thinly I couldnt even really tell you the significance, other than that he was convinced of Kojiro's mastery.
Griffith: I don't even know what was up with that.
Or our one-armed friend.
Otaguro.
Walter: ah yeah., forgot about him
Griffith: So did Inoue. =)
Walter: we see his silhouette!
and that was it.

グリフィス said:
Haha, thank you, and I have to ask what you think of Musashi's latest predicament?

All I can say is I was totally surprised by the fact that Musashi got knocked flat on his arse. Even with his injured leg I assumed he would be able to fend off Ittosai's attack - I should never take anything for granted! I love the way Inoue has made this his own version of Musashi's tale, this event didn't even happen in the novel (if I remember correctly - it has been a couple of years since I read it).

Great stuff though - roll on 282 :guts:

Griffith

Grovel said:
All I can say is I was totally surprised by the fact that Musashi got knocked flat on his arse. Even with his injured leg I assumed he would be able to fend off Ittosai's attack - I should never take anything for granted!

Yeah man, I felt like I got knocked on my ass by it! Was totally expecting Musashi to always somehow come through from here on out, so a great twist by Inoue. I always felt like these two needed to meet, but I didn't think it would end like this. Still hoping it's not resolved yet and that we'll get to see more of what Ittosai keeps up his sleeve.

Grovel said:
I love the way Inoue has made this his own version of Musashi's tale, this event didn't even happen in the novel (if I remember correctly - it has been a couple of years since I read it).

If I remember right, Ito Ittosai didn't appear in the novel at all, so what an addition and a fantastic character. I may be committing sacrilege, but frankly, I think Vagabond surpassed the original a while ago.

Grovel said:
Great stuff though - roll on 282 :guts:

I hope soon, too! :carcus:

vol.gif

283a.gif

283b.gif

This is a賜Ri minutes to help us understand whom it may concern, we successfully reduce the page a bit.
And with renewed strength, and make it Gorigori Ganbarimasu.

Takehiko Inoue

Well, Matahatchi is back and recounting the good old days with Takezo. And it's already available... but what the hell happened to 282? :beast:

Good episode anyway, Musashi seemed pretty deep for a 13 year old, did he get hit on the head later or something? Wish we had 282 for more context for his realization at the end, though it looks like he's "going toward the light" as Ueda put it. I'm also intrigued by this apparently light haired, blue eyed child Matahatchi is talking to...?

Grail

Feel the funk blast

グリフィス said:
Good episode anyway, Musashi seemed pretty deep for a 13 year old, did he get hit on the head later or something?
I was wondering the same thing! As I was reading, I found myself trying to make some kind of connection between this philosophical kid who doesn't want to hate anyone and the nutty guy we meet in volume 1. From what it looks like right now, his father's obsession with invincibility must've had such a profound effect on Musashi that it caused him to lose sight of everyone and everything being part of some universal circle of kumbaya. :azan: Thanks a lot, dad.

グリフィス said:
Wish we had 282 for more context for his realization at the end, though it looks like he's "going toward the light" as Ueda put it. I'm also intrigued by this apparently light haired, blue eyed child Matahatchi is talking to...?
That's what's been bugging me since he was first introduced. Whether he's got some connection to a character who's already been introduced or he's on his own, I'm very curious to see if more parallels (besides the ones we've seen) will be drawn between him and Musashi. Blondie's carrying the torch, I can feel it! :guts:

Griffith

Grail said:
I was wondering the same thing! As I was reading, I found myself trying to make some kind of connection between this philosophical kid who doesn't want to hate anyone and the nutty guy we meet in volume 1. From what it looks like right now, his father's obsession with invincibility must've had such a profound effect on Musashi that it caused him to lose sight of everyone and everything being part of some universal circle of kumbaya. :azan: Thanks a lot, dad.

The connection must have been in 282! Anyway, it's not the first time Musashi has gone back to his childhood in order to have sort of reawakening in the present. It's funny, because, as you noted, he wasn't anything like this when first introduced. Though, the point was made, and you just hit it again, that he lost his way in anger after being abandoned by his mother and shunned by his father and basically society. But I chalk it up to something else though... he was a stupid teenager! I can remember similar moments of clarity as a boy, that sort of innocence and basic sense of truth children can possess, but 14-18? It's a blur, in more ways than one. =)

Grail said:
That's what's been bugging me since he was first introduced. Whether he's got some connection to a character who's already been introduced or he's on his own, I'm very curious to see if more parallels (besides the ones we've seen) will be drawn between him and Musashi. Blondie's carrying the torch, I can feel it! :guts:

Yeah, soap opera guesses have been popping up in the back of my mind since I saw this episode, "Could it be Matahatchi's secret love child? Musashi's kid, did he get a woman!? ...wait a minute, when would they meet a blond?" And of course, Matahatchi would probably recognize those unique traits then, if he wasn't beginning to, but still, unless the kid truly is random, I can't really think of a likely candida...

Then, it hit me: :griffnotevil:

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.

Great mystery why no one bothered to show 282 :puck: I liked the episode eventhough I don't know what happened before this. Another thing in Matahachi's story, is that I see him calling Musashi that instead of Takezo. Maybe it is to tell the story to the bystanders that way who only know him as Musashi. You can even say that young Musashi is like a little mini-me Sekishusai.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Th3Branded0ne said:
Another thing in Matahachi's story, is that I see him calling Musashi that instead of Takezo. Maybe it is to tell the story to the bystanders that way who only know him as Musashi. You can even say that young Musashi is like a little mini-me Sekishusai.
This all makes me wonder if these two will meet once more before the series' conclusion, and what that meeting will mean for Matahachi.

Griffith

Walter said:
This all makes me wonder if these two will meet once more before the series' conclusion, and what that meeting will mean for Matahachi.

I was also wondering if they won't meet again and even reconcile. Then again, Matahatchi might just be calling him Musashi because that's how everyone knows him as Branded said (nobody wants to hear Takezo stories =), and he's so famous at that point and if still estranged to Mata, then even he would be thinking of him as Musashi. Of course, it begs the question where he heard the rest of the stories, or if he's just combining his personal experience with the rumors that time and the legends to follow. We know despite his disclaimer to the contrary, Matahatchi isn't opposed to embellishing a story. =)

BTW, do you think this is just a coincidence or it's own thing, or is Matahatchi perhaps now being revealed as the narrator of sorts?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

グリフィス said:
BTW, do you think this is just a coincidence or it's own thing, or is Matahatchi perhaps now being revealed as the narrator of sorts?
That's a really stunning possibility. But... I'd believe it more if this leap came at the very end of the story, not interspersed with other scenes. That would make it a complete "frame story."

Grail

Feel the funk blast

グリフィス said:
...But I chalk it up to something else though... he was a stupid teenager! I can remember similar moments of clarity as a boy, that sort of innocence and basic sense of truth children can possess, but 14-18? It's a blur, in more ways than one. =)
You do have a good point there, and it's interesting how Inoue can pick up on that kind of inconsistency that can be easily explained in reality, but might have trouble translating into a narrative. I do hope it's addressed in 282, though.

グリフィス said:
Yeah, soap opera guesses have been popping up in the back of my mind since I saw this episode, "Could it be Matahatchi's secret love child? Musashi's kid, did he get a woman!? ...wait a minute, when would they meet a blond?" And of course, Matahatchi would probably recognize those unique traits then, if he wasn't beginning to, but still, unless the kid truly is random, I can't really think of a likely candida...

Then, it hit me: :griffnotevil:
Nice catch! I knew that kid looked familiar, but I just assumed that it was just a coincidence brought up by Inoue's drawing style. Goodness knows that if anyone could get ahold of the only blonde lady in Japan, it would be Kojiro. :slan:

Griffith

Walter said:
That's a really stunning possibility. But... I'd believe it more if this leap came at the very end of the story, not interspersed with other scenes. That would make it a complete "frame story."

Well, if it were at the very end, it'd probably be certain, doesn't mean it still can't end that way, and maybe Inoue even wants establish that without ending with Matahatchi being the last thing we see (if so, good call I say =), reserving that instead for Mushi going off into the sunset or something. Of course, having 282 would help since it could establish whether or not Matahatchi was actually telling that Ittosai encounter or if it was just a cute transition back to Musashi's time.

Grail said:
You do have a good point there, and it's interesting how Inoue can pick up on that kind of inconsistency that can be easily explained in reality, but might have trouble translating into a narrative. I do hope it's addressed in 282, though.

Me too, and I imagine there's some connection or segue, such as Musashi ending up on his back now like he did when he was a boy going the "dangerous way," and what that has to do with the limits of the body. As he did in volume 24, perhaps he'll once again find the solution to his current problem from a previous insight he's lost, or as Yagyu told him, "You had the answers inside you all along."

Or he could just get some Berserk Armor:

musashikillingmore.jpg

Grail said:
Nice catch! I knew that kid looked familiar, but I just assumed that it was just a coincidence brought up by Inoue's drawing style. Goodness knows that if anyone could get ahold of the only blonde lady in Japan, it would be Kojiro. :slan:

Yeah, and he's out to sea now, literally as bad a sailor traveling every port! Seriously though, where did this kid come from, where COULD he have come from? It's now the biggest mystery I want resolved.

Update: Well, now I possibly know something about him, and warning, this is a true spoiler even if you're completely up to date, a spoiler for... after the series is over!
This boy, or someone resembling him, will talk to an elderly Musashi before he dies.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.

OK ladies and gentlemen, 282 is out! It had something to do with Matahachi's and Musashi's talk. But there were also others around. I"ll let you read it so I don't spoil anything.

Grail

Feel the funk blast

Thanks for the heads-up, Branded!

Yeah, this definitely helps explain what happens in 283. Although, it brings up a slew of new questions, particularly regarding those last few pages. From how I'm looking at it now, it seems that Musashi's realized that he can control Sloggo, and... defeated Ito in a psychic rematch...?! :magni: Yeah, I'm a little confused. I can't decide if the last page is necessarily connected to the penultimate one. Considering the supernatural stuff that Inoue's introduced into the series before, I wouldn't put it past him.

Griffith

Th3Branded0ne said:
OK ladies and gentlemen, 282 is out! It had something to do with Matahachi's and Musashi's talk. But there were also others around. I"ll let you read it so I don't spoil anything.

I'll say it did, and much more, Yagyu, In'ei (been waiting to see or hear of him again), Inshun, Musashi, Ittosai... oh my)! Really, what an episode to miss, and I'm happy to have this missing link and chance to see what Musashi was up to after that encounter, and, somewhat unexpectedly, Ittosai too.

Grail said:
Thanks for the heads-up, Branded!

Yeah, this definitely helps explain what happens in 283. Although, it brings up a slew of new questions, particularly regarding those last few pages. From how I'm looking at it now, it seems that Musashi's realized that he can control Sloggo, and... defeated Ito in a psychic rematch...?! :magni:

I'm not sure what's happening there either, though I don't think it was a psychic rematch so much as a re-examination of the match, which is what this whole episode is by the end. Like you, I wonder if Musashi is learning he can, or how he does, control Sloggo... and more, does he need him in that way? He asks whether it was something natural like his own body and the sword, and then either moves it forward with a wave of his hand, or reaches out to touch it and it recoils. So, to me it's a two-fold question, is Sloggo, or a force like it, natural and necessary, and if so, does it have to be like Sloggo, or can it be something more... serene, though no less effective, and perhaps even more so. I also think it ties in to the whole darkness vs. light thing Ueda has been mentioning concerning Musashi, with his latest actions and flashback definitely hinting at the light.

Grail said:
Yeah, I'm a little confused. I can't decide if the last page is necessarily connected to the penultimate one. Considering the supernatural stuff that Inoue's introduced into the series before, I wouldn't put it past him.

I think they are and they aren't; figuratively, they're connected, but not literally, that damage had already been done. I think Musashi and Ittosai just both came to the realization, in one case painful, that the match was a lot closer than it first appeared.

Extrapolating all this and the message of 283 further, is it possible Musashi well knows the condition Ittosai could be in, and even willing to help him, if he can? Whatever's happening, I hope it isn't over for either of them. :void:

I kinda felt bad seeing Ito falling on his knees.

Grail said:
Considering the supernatural stuff that Inoue's introduced into the series before, I wouldn't put it past him.

Haha, I don't think he'll go that far with this kind of stuff. In this case, it's probably a better view of what happened and then the effects of it on the last page, like Griffith said.

Anyway, thanks Branded.

Grail

Feel the funk blast

Eluvei said:
Haha, I don't think he'll go that far with this kind of stuff. In this case, it's probably a better view of what happened and then the effects of it on the last page, like Griffith said.
Yeah, you and Griff most likely have it right there. I wasn't completely convinced myself, but I don't think it hurts to keep your options open. :guts: After all, if you can have Ueda harassing Otsu from beyond the grave, where exactly do you draw the line? :troll:

グリフィス said:
Extrapolating all this and the message of 283 further, is it possible Musashi well knows the condition Ittosai could be in, and even willing to help him, if he can? Whatever's happening, I hope it isn't over for either of them. :void:
Yeah, I'm particularly looking forward to the next meeting between those two, or at least an explanation for Ito's mangled hand. :sad:

Griffith

Eluvei said:
I kinda felt bad seeing Ito falling on his knees.
Not me, I knew Mushi should have won! :troll:

Grail said:
Yeah, you and Griff most likely have it right there. I wasn't completely convinced myself, but I don't think it hurts to keep your options open. :guts: After all, if you can have Ueda harassing Otsu from beyond the grave, where exactly do you draw the line? :troll:

Oh, and I'm not completely convinced otherwise, I think it is one of those intangible Inoue things that's open to interpretation. Like Sekishusai's actions in the last couple of episodes, there's usually some kind of abstract supernatural connection between even the figurative and the literal in this story. =)

Grail said:
Yeah, I'm particularly looking forward to the next meeting between those two, or at least an explanation for Ito's mangled hand. :sad:
There might not be a "next meeting," because this one hasn't ended yet! :zodd:

Either way though, I too want an Ittosai flashback, I've been expecting one since this encounter began, and there's certainly a better chance now than there seemed at the end of 281. I just hope it's not a... final one.

It'd be pretty incredible if it turned out Sekishusai's, In'ei's, and Ittosai's deaths were all technically in the same the episode though, an incredible loss that is.

Grail said:
After all, if you can have Ueda harassing Otsu from beyond the grave, where exactly do you draw the line? :troll:

グリフィス said:
Like Sekishusai's actions in the last couple of episodes, there's usually some kind of abstract supernatural connection between even the figurative and the literal in this story. =)

Yeah, you're both right. We can never be too sure, especially after Ueda's afterlife adventures.

グリフィス said:
Either way though, I too want an Ittosai flashback, I've been expecting one since this encounter began, and there's certainly a better chance now than there seemed at the end of 281. I just hope it's not a... final one.

As Grail said, we still have to see what happened to his hand, so I think it's likely that we get a flashback. And I hope Gonnosuke shows up in it, too. It's been a while since we heard from him, right?

グリフィス said:
It'd be pretty incredible if it turned out Sekishusai's, In'ei's, and Ittosai's deaths were all technically in the same the episode though, an incredible loss that is.

Talk about incredible. If that's a crow in the first panel of the last page, it's probably a hint that you're right, too. But it doesn't look like one, at least.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Strange episode. But most definitely awesome. Even with a translation I walked away from it thinking .... wow .... what?

In'ei splits a cup with his MIND, laments the death of his friend, while Musashi has a conversation with his life essence, which I think it's implied has been corrupted over time into Sloggo.

That was my take on it anyway...

And potentially that the end is near for Vagabond as a series as well. :void:

Griffith

Eluvei said:
Yeah, you're both right. We can never be too sure, especially after Ueda's afterlife adventures.

I'd like to catch up with him actually, see what he thinks of the preceding events.

Eluvei said:
As Grail said, we still have to see what happened to his hand, so I think it's likely that we get a flashback. And I hope Gonnosuke shows up in it, too. It's been a while since we heard from him, right?

Yeah, I'd still like to see Gonnosuke meet up with Musashi as well... though, more because they did in the book then for any reason inherent to Vagabond as it is. After all, I also want to see Musashi farming and saving villages Seven Samurai style. :ganishka:

Eluvei said:
Talk about incredible. If that's a crow in the first panel of the last page, it's probably a hint that you're right, too. But it doesn't look like one, at least.

Well, I hope not, I think it'd be pretty interesting if Musashi could get up and follow Ittosai, maybe even help him after we learned that you don't need to hate anyone! Then again, that's probably too much wishful thinking, more likely Ittosai will be alright on his own or Musashi will just feel bad about it after the fact.

Walter said:
Strange episode. But most definitely awesome. Even with a translation I walked away from it thinking .... wow .... what?

Definitely, and it puts 283 in a whole new light and vice versa. Really makes me excited for when we pick up with Musashi/Ittosai next.

Walter said:
In'ei splits a cup with his MIND, laments the death of his friend,

Well, I think the cup split on it's own while In'ei was meditating, signaling to In'ei that Sekishusai had died... not that that makes any more practical sense. Chalk it up to the supernatural figurative/literal abstracts we were just talking about.

Walter said:
Musashi has a conversation with his life essence, which I think it's implied has been corrupted over time into Sloggo.

Yeah, that's my feeling as well. I enjoyed Sloggo ranting and raving at Musashi to stop being such a philosopher wuss, which was pretty funny, "Why are you staring at the sky like that!?" And when Musashi again made peace with his defeat, "Gyaaaa!"

Walter said:
That was my take on it anyway...
And potentially that the end is near for Vagabond as a series as well. :void:

Yeah, Inoue once again took a turn that could be a shortcut in that direction if he wants. I don't know though, with the next LAST manga exhibit still touring around Japan, maybe we're safe until it's run is at an end. :badbone:

Griffith: So what's your take on Ittosai in 282?
Walter: i think he's grabbing where Mushi sliced him.
for whatever reason
Griffith: Haha, well, yeah, but beyond that.
Walter: my first instinct was: HEART ATTACK
Griffith: Well, I think because it hurts.
Walter: next scene, he turns around and heads back to Mushi =)
Griffith: I don't know if either of them are going to get up anytime soon. They're not the types to lay down unless they CAN'T get up.
I'd like that though, Ito making his way back.
Maybe award some extra points. =)
So did Sloggo recoil from Musashi when he reached out for him, or was Musashi shaping him?
My initial reaction was that Sloggo moved beyond his touch.
"Get away from me!"
"Don't touch me!"
Walter: i honestly dont have any idea.
Inoue has gotten pretty new age
since those white blood cells were having a frame story in his leg
Griffith: Haha
Walter: Inoue: "Yeah, this makes sense. They'll get it."
Griffith: Yeah, were spending a lot of time in Musashi's head.
Hey, this all harks back to Yagyu though, your favorite part. =)

vol.gif

284a.gif

284b.gif

That increasing the consumption of drinking that Red Bull is at work there I'm mainly into what will? 2009.10.21 Takehiko Inoue

Musashi RISE! Anyway, looks like I'm not the only concerned innkeeper around here, and more more fun with Mr. Sloggo; seems Musashi actually manages to reach out and touch him this time, but can he transform him into a gentler spirit, or is Sloggo in his ear again?

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.

Pretty funny stuff, it seems Sloggo goes in a rant and Musashi just comes and pets it. "Calm down little sloggo, it will be alright" :ganishka:

Griffith

Th3Branded0ne said:
Pretty funny stuff, it seems Sloggo goes in a rant and Musashi just comes and pets it. "Calm down little sloggo, it will be alright" :ganishka:

Haha, there's another interpretation, and I like it. After Sloggo seemingly recoiled in 282, I thought it almost looked like Musashi was pushing him away this time, "Get outta here!"

Top Bottom