Current Episodes

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Well, that was interesting, the episode had a little bit of everything (including a painting based on the sketch work shown at the end of volume 32, Musashi and Kojiro at the beach), it's kind of like a highlight real that, as we've discussed, allows Inoue to jump in and out of the story however, and whenever, he pleases. We see what I assume is Ganryu Island (so the beginning of the end if there ever was one), then cut to Matahachi hard at work for the monk that helped him bury his mother. He decides (again) to finally deliver Kojiro's certificate. We see him narrating in the future again, and jumping around in the story, as it immediately flashes back to Matahachi on a ship. Now here's the most interesting tease, we see what might be a second of Farmer Musashi! Though it's unclear, it continues with Matahachi talking about his old friend, shows Musashi training, then suddenly Matahachi makes an announcement which gets everyone's attention and people filling his donation basket (at least you can tell he'd like it to), which sadly probably means the battle between Musashi and Kojiro (btw, how closely is this mirroring reality at this point =). Then we see Kojiro arriving to what I still assume is his job interview, Matahachi makes another announcement that drives most of his customers away (perhaps he's not going to be telling the Ganryu tale so soon, more to say first perhaps) but young Fūki does remain behind. The episode ends with Musashi doing some pretty heavy sword play in the woods, it looks like he's getting his groove back.

Anyway, I have to admit, Inoue has pretty well set himself up to do whatever he pleases, and effectively. He can delay the Ganryu battle as long as he wants now, or he can jump into it next week and it'll still work and feel appropriate with this Matahachi as storyteller construct. Hell, halfway through this episode with Matahachi setting it up, even I was ready for it to start. I can also imagine a few surprises Inoue might have in store for us using this format.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
This sounds awesome. I can't wait to check it out when I get home. If it's true that Matahachi is the one that spurred on the duel between Musashi and Kojiro... it's pretty depressing. What would his motivation be?

In my opinion, Inoue still has some work to do in developing Kojiro before the duel. As things stand, if they were to meet on Ganryu Island next episode (just hypothetically here.. I don't actually think this will occur...) it wouldn't be that impressive, I don't think.

I think it would be poignant if Kojiro were just offered an amazing position, and given a chance at a real future, when he is told of the duel that will ultimately lead to his death.

Nice episode, can't wait for a translation. The look on Matahachi's face on the boat is something we hadn't seen since maybe the first volume. It's like he's thinking to himself "I'm doing the right thing". I'm so proud of him! :SK:

Griffith

Walter said:
This sounds awesome. I can't wait to check it out when I get home. If it's true that Matahachi is the one that spurred on the duel between Musashi and Kojiro... it's pretty depressing. What would his motivation be?

What brought that notion to mind? It's an interesting thought, especially considering the translation...

Walter said:
In my opinion, Inoue still has some work to do in developing Kojiro before the duel. As things stand, if they were to meet on Ganryu Island next chapter (just hypothetically here.. I don't actually think this will occur...) it wouldn't be that impressive, I don't think.

I think it would be poignant if Kojiro were just offered an amazing position, and given a chance at a real future, when he is told of the duel that will ultimately lead to his death.

I don't know, I see Kojiro as being pure, though largely one-dimensional, as is, existing in his own world where dying in combat with Musashi is a better outcome for him than any prosperous future he might have had in the material world around him. It'd certainly be interesting though if Inoue changed him and gave him some more depth, perhaps even to his detriment; can you imagine this Kojiro with a knot top, a wife, and children?

Eluvei said:
Nice episode, can't wait for a translation. The look on Matahachi's face on the boat is something we hadn't seen since maybe the first volume. It's like he's thinking to himself "I'm doing the right thing". I'm so proud of him! :SK:
Me too, and the wait is already over. It was nice to be on point with a new episode for a change, had been a while. :badbone:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
グリフィス said:
What brought that notion to mind? It's an interesting thought, especially considering the translation...

Well, I suppose I just misunderstood it based on your description of here:

グリフィス said:
Though it's unclear, it continues with Matahachi talking about his old friend, shows Musashi training, then suddenly Matahachi makes an announcement which gets everyone's attention and people filling his donation basket (at least you can tell he'd like it to), which sadly probably means the battle between Musashi and Kojiro
Now that I've seen the ep, I can see that wasn't the case. Matahachi is reluctant to even begin the story. Poor guy...

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Nice Episode indeed! At first when I saw the cover I was like "What, Mushi with a big smile on his face, hmmm interesting". It's good to see Matahachi doing some stuff he hasn't done in years. I guess he couldn't do much worse and had to start looking at the other side of the coin. He's the medieval PPV event holder, but his should be called PPL(Pay Per Listen). And all those thoughts Matahachi had about what Musashi could be doing at that time, are some of the things he ends up doing anyway. So it's a nice way to incorporate those parts from Matahachi's point of view without revealing too much.

Just saw the translation. It's the beginning of the end, that's for sure! Things are gonna move fast this time around, judging from this episode. The duel is just around the corner... and Matahachi's words got me all hyped over it.

PS: Berserk and Vagabond episodes, and the release of Mass Effect 2. Happy times for this community. Happy times!

Griffith

Walter said:
Matahachi is reluctant to even begin the story. Poor guy...
I also can't but feel like Inoue is basically speaking through him, "From here on... it's not a story I can tell so easily..." :judo:

Th3Branded0ne said:
Nice Episode indeed! At first when I saw the cover I was like "What, Mushi with a big smile on his face, hmmm interesting". It's good to see Matahachi doing some stuff he hasn't done in years. I guess he couldn't do much worse and had to start looking at the other side of the coin. He's the medieval PPV event holder, but his should be called PPL(Pay Per Listen). And all those thoughts Matahachi had about what Musashi could be doing at that time, are some of the things he ends up doing anyway. So it's a nice way to incorporate those parts from Matahachi's point of view without revealing too much.

Yeah, it was a nice way to touch base on a few things without having to go deep into it (no Seven Samurai like town defense though, which makes me wonder if it's simply not in this Musashi's character, or if it's something Inoue WILL depict more in depth =). Also, I think we could still see a few more highlights of Musashi's life between now and his battle with Kojiro, similar to episode 108 "Summit" at the beginning of Volume 12. One of my favorites.

Eluvei said:
Just saw the translation. It's the beginning of the end, that's for sure! Things are gonna move fast this time around, judging from this episode. The duel is just around the corner... and Matahachi's words got me all hyped over it.

I got that same feeling from this episode, but I'm still not sure the duel is just around the corner, because Inoue's been dropping hints like this since the end of volume 27. After all, we didn't see it coming that there was going to be a 5 volume arc about Musashi's bum leg and time in prison. By Inoue's standard of production, a year is a long time... of course, much of it will likely be dedicated to the duel and events surrounding it. Biggest question mark in all that... Gonnosuke fight? I'd still be surprised if Inoue omitted it.

Eluvei said:
PS: Berserk and Vagabond episodes, and the release of Mass Effect 2. Happy times for this community. Happy times!
Indeed. :badbone:

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
グリフィス said:
I quite enjoyed that. :serpico:

Me too! you know Musashi was doing just the same thing as Kobe was doing on yesterday's game against the Celtics. Kobe was doing his jumpshot but landing only on his left foot to avoid putting pressure on the right one. What a coincidence, or has Inoue been watching the games as well. :isidro:

Griffith

Th3Branded0ne said:
Me too! you know Musashi was doing just the same thing as Kobe was doing on yesterday's game against the Celtics. Kobe was doing his jumpshot but landing only on his left foot to avoid putting pressure on the right one. What a coincidence, or has Inoue been watching the games as well. :isidro:

Haha, he is a Lakers fan apparently, and I remember him mentioning Kobe in one of his updates. :ganishka:

Anyway, I like where Inoue went with this episode, he definitely isn't glossing over things to get to a resolution, and I wonder if he won't run into someone, even Gonnosuke, and attempt to fight them like that, sort of a Kojiro tune up. I suppose those were likely some authorities or representatives after Musashi near the end there.

グリフィス said:
Anyway, I like where Inoue went with this episode, he definitely isn't glossing over things to get to a resolution, and I wonder if he won't run into someone, even Gonnosuke, and attempt to fight them like that, sort of a Kojiro tune up. I suppose those were likely some authorities after Musashi near the end there.

Yeah, I was also relieved. All we ever hear is things about the end of Vagabond, and 288 really gave us that "the end is near!" kinda thing. I'm expecting some Gonnosuke too, and I think he'll show up. His little cameo a few chapters back is proof that he's not forgotten!

Griffith

Eluvei said:
Yeah, I was also relieved. All we ever hear is things about the end of Vagabond, and 288 really gave us that "the end is near!" kinda thing.

Agreed, I didn't think 288 really signaled the end was here already, but it certainly gave off that impression. Regardless, I was glad to see there's still time for the scenic route on this journey. =)

Eluvei said:
I'm expecting some Gonnosuke too, and I think he'll show up. His little cameo a few chapters back is proof that he's not forgotten!

Yeah, I hope you're right.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Eluvei said:
So Takuan's trying to build a stable future for Musashi. And Musashi runs away from it, literally.

Yeah, but Musashi didn't really know, I am assuming Musashi thought it was another fight and just try to avoid it. At least Matahachi who has known Musashi for so long, knows what he's doing eventhough they are not together anymore. If the catalog pictures are any indication of a way distant future for Musashi that may not be shown in the volumes, We can guess that Takuan's attempt is in vain. But we all knew that of course :guts:

Griffith

The one I really feel sorry for here is Otsu.:judo:

Also, better, and amusing worthwhile, late than never:

vole.gif

289a.gif

289b.gif

When I type "Vagabond" on my comnputer, I'm used to it, so it comes out as
fast as typing "Thank you". However I actually mistype it a fair amout.

For example:

vagabagaondo
vagaboidno
vagabaganod
babaodsjowndol

ijnouetaksuejho

That's it. Thank you.

INOUE TAKEHIKO
3 February 2010​

:ganishka:

Episode 290's out, pretty dialogue-heavy. Seems like Inoue's gonna take a break, Vagabond's coming back on Weekly Morning #14, which comes out in the first week of March.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Eluvei said:
Episode 290's out, pretty dialogue-heavy. Seems like Inoue's gonna take a break, Vagabond's coming back on Weekly Morning #14, which comes out in the first week of March.

Quite the dialog there. I assume it's about Musashi and how he managed to just jump off into the river and get away. I guess he barely makes it out, and passes out since he was only using one leg, if he was using only one leg. Could Musashi go into another hibernation, just like he did after fighting Seijuro and being rescued? And by hibernation I mean after he gets rescued he will take those long sleeps. :guts:

Griffith

Eluvei said:
Uh oh, I'm not liking my prediction for Vagabond catching Berserk at the moment. :iva:

Th3Branded0ne said:
Quite the dialog there. I assume it's about Musashi and how he managed to just jump off into the river and get away. I guess he barely makes it out, and passes out since he was only using one leg, if he was using only one leg. Could Musashi go into another hibernation, just like he did after fighting Seijuro and being rescued? And by hibernation I mean after he gets rescued he will take those long sleeps. :guts:

Yeah, I'm sure they're talking about him in general and how he ran off, maybe Inoue is going to make his own excuse for Musashi and why he never found good employment: he had bread in his ears! :troll:

Though I'm most curious about who's house that is he's collapsed in front of. :rakshas:

Already on episode 290. Damn I don't know whats been going in Vagabond since episode 285. :sad: Can someone give me a little insight on whats been going on since then.

Griffith

It's hard to describe since there's a lot of subtle threads overlapping, but, since we found out that Kojiro was the one to cut Ittosai's hand, the final battle has been teased, Matahachi has been firmly established as the narrator, Kojiro has arrived in Kokura for his job interview, and Musashi is now retraining himself like Kojiro, by blocking out all external sound and listening to his body. While practicing like this, Musashi is confronted by a group of men, so he flees by jumping into a nearby river. Turns out they were representatives, also from Kokura, that wish to offer him a position, which would allow him to settle down in society and marry Otsu. Musashi is concerned with Kojiro though, and after an exhausted Musashi climbs out of the river, he comes to a modest home, attempts to gain entrance, and collapses outside.
I guess that wasn't so hard to describe. :badbone:

UPDATE: 290's been translated. No major surprises, but a couple of potentially interesting new foils for Musashi if there's any follow up with them. Also, the sketches are up now too:

http://www.itplanning.co.jp/vaga.html

290a.gif

Looks like a character from Perry Bible Fellowship. =)

290b.gif

グリフィス said:
It's hard to describe since there's a lot of subtle threads overlapping, but, since we found out that Kojiro was the one to cut Ittosai's hand, the final battle has been teased, Matahachi has been firmly established as the narrator, Kojiro has arrived in Kokura for his job interview, and Musashi is now retraining himself like Kojiro, by blocking out all external sound and listening to his body. While practicing like this, Musashi is confronted by a group of men, so he flees by jumping into a nearby river. Turns out they were representatives, also from Kokura, that wish to offer him a position, which would allow him to settle down in society and marry Otsu. Musashi is concerned with Kojiro though, and after an exhausted Musashi climbs out of the river, he comes to a modest home, attempts to gain entrance, and collapses outside.
I guess that wasn't so hard to describe. :badbone:

Thanks Griff. Branded told me this as well, I am finally caught up with you guys again. :guts:

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
OK, I just read the translation. It was good to know what those guys were talking about. A line I liked about was this "Musahi will fall into the hands of Kokura, eventhough I haven't met him". Even MUsashi admitted himself being to reckless jumping into the river. At the end when he's getting out of the water and climbing the rock and talking to himself was kinda funny as well. Get a thermometer is Musashi about to get a fever?

Top Bottom