General Final Fantasy Thread

I just wanted a place where Final Fantasy and all its games can be discussed freely. Love'em or Hate'em.

I'm glad I picked up a PSP years back. The revamped Final Fantasies are great. Not to mention Crisis Core which is maybe the one of the best PSP games I have played yet. (There is so much on that single disc.) Dissidia is yet another game I have been fond of, its not ground breaking but like all FF's has great depth. I haven't really scratched the surface in playing it yet. The battle "square" system is really easy but takes some getting used to.

Final Fantasy 7 was released on the PSP as a port a few months ago, I played through it. (Last time was in 2001.) Its always starts off slow IMO, but really does pick up and I still feel like its pretty relevant. I love the Materia system. Its good that I hadn't played in so long, I had to relearn everything with the materia. I had forgotten where so much stuff was. It wasn't so much a trip down memory lane, as it was more of a rediscovery, and understanding of the game.

I think Tactics is still a stand alone game. That is in its own league. Strangely, I have put 30 to 70 hours in each FF games. Tactics is the only game that I have put 90+ hours into. That is around how many hours I have put into Oblivion.

If there is one thing I like about most FF games it is the changing battle systems. Of course its hit and miss with some. The stories are usually pretty good maybe sometimes a little too big. That's a matter of opinion though.

If I had to say, I think FF9 would be my least favorite. Just by time it came out, I was a bit burnt out. Even though FF8 had a lacking story, I loved the battle system. FF8 coming off of FF7's built up momentum, I felt it didn't stand a good chance of exceeding expections all around. I still ended up gutting that game out. I had no will to go on by the time FF9 had come out. Although FF10 was a great rebirth of my interest in the series. Its still not like the golden age of "FF7" and the PSX days. For some I never realized what a Mog was until FF9. I shouldn't be admitting that. Was there even a Mog in FF7 or FF8?

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
FF7 the golden age? :ganishka:
I have a weird history with FF. I played the first one when I was too young to know what I was doing, and only made it to the pirates. The next one I played was Final Fantasy 3 for SNES(6) and I fell in love with it, although I couldn't get past Vargas due to some retarded inability to input Sabin's blitz :farnese: I was always renting it rather than owning it, so I played other people's files(remember renting games, and other people's files were there!?) Next game I owned was Mystic Quest which I enjoyed and beat like once a week. Next one I played was FFX, kinda a weird leap there since I didn't own a Playstation system until like 2001. Now that I had a PS2 I went back and beat 6 on Anthology, played 9, then 7, then 8 and beat them all. Each one was my "favorite" while playing it, then I bought into the FF7 hype and said it was my favorite. Looking back I think my favorite is a hard choice between 6 and 9. I played/beat 1,2, and 4 on their Gameboy Advance ports and beat them. FF4 is my distant 3rd favorite behind 6 and 9...

Rambling aside, moogles have been in almost every FF since 2. In FF7 there is an arcade game with a moogle in it in Gold Saucer. Don't remember about 8 though.
As for sequels and spinoffs, I guess FF X-2 had a good battle system. We've already discussed AC to death in it's own thread, Dirge of Cerberus was pretty bad, and I didn't like Crisis Core, it had too much of what I didn't like about Advent Children and Kingdom Hearts in it.
But, if I had to choose the one thing FF related that pissed me off the most it would have to be Setzer and Vivi's treatment in KH2. :mozgus:
haha stupid FF always makes me rant like this. :griffnotevil:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I've played FFs 3-10, with 4-7 through multiple times. If I had to pick my personal favorite, it'd be 6. Recently I've been trying to acquire FF6A but noticed its price has skyrocketed in the past year. What gives?

Dar_Klink

Walter said:
I've played FFs 3-10, with 4-7 through multiple times. If I had to pick my personal favorite, it'd be 6. Recently I've been trying to acquire FF6A but noticed its price has skyrocketed in the past year. What gives?
Has it really? I got it a few years ago at Gamestop for 29.99 I think, but it didn't have the case, it was just the game cartridge and instruction book inside of a cd case type thing. I'm an idiot for excepting that without them lowering the price. :mozgus: I've since learned that getting stuff online is much better and cheaper.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Walter said:
I always get a lump in my throat when you start the new world in FF6 where Celes is contemplating/does suicide and they play the opera song. :sad: Oh god Locke! Can't you let Rachael go!

Dar_Klink

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
I always get a lump in my throat when you start the new world in FF6 where Celes is contemplating/does suicide and they play the opera song. :sad: Oh god Locke! Can't you let Rachael go!
I feel the same during Locke's flashback of what happened with Rachel. Hell, just the music gets to me. FF6 has to have the best ost out of the whole series.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Yeah I agree that FF6 is my favorite as well. I have the 3cd soundtrack. I also own the Snes game( Which luckily came to me thanks to my neighbor for giving it to me). FF6 just has it all. Comedy,story,drama,love,sillyness,great characters, etc.

SaiyajinNoOuji

Th3Branded0ne said:
Yeah I agree that FF6 is my favorite as well. I have the 3cd soundtrack. I also own the Snes game( Which luckily came to me thanks to my neighbor for giving it to me). FF6 just has it all. Comedy,story,drama,love,sillyness,great characters, etc.
Although always like a first love, FF 4 (2 in the states) was my first exposure to RPG's in general. I remember I played it at my friends house on his SNES and man I was so into it, I just couldn't stop! Then the feel of when I first beat it, it was just a great experience.

With that it will always be number one to me in front of any other RPG game. :puck:

I have played FF 7, 8, X only. I tried to play FF 6 up until I had to do Sabin's Blitz technique. I later discovered that it was so simple to do, then I had realized I deleted my file because I thought I would never play it again. :judo: I would have to say Final Fantasy X is my all time favourite Final Fantasy. I just love the storyline of Final Fantasy X and I like the overdrives as well. I would have to say that the storyline of any Final Fantasy that has touched me the most would be Final Fantasy VIII. Squall and Rinoa had to go through so much just to be together, I was also very pleased with the ending, a very joyful ending when you have completed the game. I am still on my mission to complete every FF there is, well except for FF XII, I just can't get into it.

You know, I really enjoyed the card game in FF8. I found it so confusing at first. But I just remember mastering my collection. I was never into Pokemon, but man I was big fan of that little side game.

One thing I didn't like about FF8 was the SEED concept of existing.
Its whole purpose of existing (If I recalled correctly) was to take on a single sorceress. That sorceress that you come to hate turns out to be controlled by another sorceress. (Weak.) The original sorceress raised all the characters from childhood. All of which had forgotten this fact because apparently the use "GF/Summons" in game have memory loss as a side effect. Strangely, Sid the founder of SEED was once in love with the original sorceress.
Where was this game going with this?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I took the liberty of spoil-tagging the above message for those who haven't yet played FF8. :schnoz:

Dar_Klink

Death May Die said:
FF8 story
Yeah... I stopped trying to understand it and decided just to enjoy the character interaction and music. The overall story in most FF's gets really overly confusing, like they're trying too hard to have a deep story. Also,
1254508798400.gif

huehuehue, It may be overly simplified but it still made me laugh a bit when reading it. I've seen a similar image with FF6's story to FF7's.

SaiyajinNoOuji

Oh shit, you just had to do this... I remember when I first got here to SK.net and the previous web site I went to for Berserk where I was adamant (still kind of) that Cloud, Sephiroth, and etc were related to Berserk.

I suppose my biggest thing was how they were portrayed in Kingdom Hearts. :zodd:

Dar_Klink

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
Oh shit, you just had to do this... I remember when I first got here to SK.net and the previous web site I went to for Berserk where I was adamant (still kind of) that Cloud, Sephiroth, and etc were related to Berserk.
I remember hearing that one of the people working on FF7 did say they were influenced by Berserk, although there was no source for it, so don't take just my word. I'm sure you would've seen it by now anyway.
[quote author=SaiyajinNoOuji]
I suppose my biggest thing was how they were portrayed in Kingdom Hearts. :zodd:
[/quote]
Seriously... especially Vivi and Setzer :femto:
I nearly cried with happiness when I found out my two favorite FF's were getting cameos. Needless to say, I wasn't happy. :chomp:

Grail

Feel the funk blast
I too have fallen victim to the mystery of Sabin's Blitz technique! It's been a dirty secret of mine for years (I can even feel my ears heating up as I type this :farnese:), and there was actually a time when I wondered if my X button was working properly before I finally came upon the solution by a slip of the hand at the right moment. In spite of overcoming that colossal setback, I never actually got around to finishing FFVI. I messed up at a few points in the story (I didn't know catching the fast fish made a difference! :judo:) and just thought I'd make a fresh start at another time. I should probably pick it up one of these days.

I've also played VII, VIII, X, X-2 (dear oh dear...), and XI (waaay back in the day!), which all vary in levels of decency, but looking back, the stories seemed unnecessarily convoluted. Of course, at the time that I played them, I was positively ENTHRALLED. Coincidentally, Auron was a big favorite character when I first finished X back in 2001. Miura should probably get a cut of the profits for that guy. :guts:

Dar_Klink

Grail said:
I too have fallen victim to the mystery of Sabin's Blitz technique! It's been a dirty secret of mine for years (I can even feel my ears heating up as I type this :farnese:)
We need a Sabin's Blitz Victim's support group. :troll:
Grail said:
I messed up at a few points in the story (I didn't know catching the fast fish made a difference! :judo:)
Oh god, I'd forgotten about that, I catch the right fish every time now that I know about it. Even if I have to reload the same saves over and over. Oh, and one of my first play throughs I knew you had to wait at the end of the Floating Island to
save Shadow,
but my playing time for that day was up, and I was being yelled at to get off of the game. NO DAD YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND! :sad:

Auron is pretty awesome, and Miura should at least be given some credit there. :ganishka:

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
Oh man, this retardation of a "Golden day era" :ganishka:

http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=7107.msg127368#msg127368
Final Fantasy brings out the nerdiest in all of us. :badbone:

So, my short term memory wins over me. I re-read that entire FF7 thread from 2006, and all I got to say is I hope this thread doesn't turn into a open mic night. Please god...I mean...Aaz, I leave its fate in your hands.

Wasn't the villain in FF9 a male in the US version, and a chick in the JAPAN version? Weird.

SaiyajinNoOuji

Death May Die said:
Wasn't the villain in FF9 a male in the US version, and a chick in the JAPAN version? Weird.

You are thinking of Kuja I believe. No, that person was just a very feminine looking guy in both versions. The Gackt style if you will.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Death May Die said:
So, my short term memory wins over me. I re-read that entire FF7 thread from 2006, and all I got to say is I hope this thread doesn't turn into a open mic night. Please god...I mean...Aaz, I leave its fate in your hands.

Well it's already kind of going down that road, isn't it? :ganishka:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Death May Die said:
It's a "general" thread. What exactly is your apprehension?

SaiyajinNoOuji

Well to get things on the right track how does everyone feel about FF13 and FF14 (new Solo friendly MMO)? Both games look gorgeous! :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I'm hesitantly optimistic about FF13. I dig the sci-fi setting, and the visuals look superb. What's holding me back is the feeling that I may have outgrown JRPGs in general, and their formula no longer works on me. It's something I'll probably purchase later down the road, once I buy a PS3/360, but I'm not going to rush out Day 1 to grab it.

I really could not care less about FF14.

SaiyajinNoOuji

Walter said:
I'm hesitantly optimistic about FF13. I dig the sci-fi setting, and the visuals look superb. What's holding me back is the feeling that I may have outgrown JRPGs in general, and their formula no longer works on me. It's something I'll probably purchase later down the road, once I buy a PS3/360, but I'm not going to rush out Day 1 to grab it.
I am afraid I am getting to be the same way. Nothing really grabs me anymore in the RPG area for consoles. I think I am getting old man syndrome.

:void: - You youngsters and your PS3LMNOP's! Back in my day we had just had Mode 7 and we liked it! Are heroes were sprite based and none of this fancy smancy CGI garbage! Also get off my lawn!

I suppose I will only be content with just buying/acquiring remakes of "classics" for each new system that comes out probably forever! :farnese:

Top Bottom