What are you watching? (television thread)

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Oburi said:
The last two episodes this season were great, some of the best ever, unfortunately those were the only decent episodes this season, they rest were like filler, just in the way of the final.

I call BS, the other episodes were fine, really good actually (Funkhouser's Crazy Sister, Vehicular Fellatio, Denise Handicapped, The Black Swan was great, and you yourself were praising The Bare Midriff), it just sounds like you're judging them now based on not revolving around the Seinfeld reunion. That being said... it was a little all over the place at times. =)

Seriously though, I think they did a great job not overplaying the Seinfeld thing and exploiting it like a real reunion, that was perfectly done.

Oburi

All praise Grail
グリフィス said:
I call BS, the other episodes were fine, really good actually (Funkhouser's Crazy Sister, Vehicular Fellatio, Denise Handicapped, The Black Swan was great, and you yourself were praising The Bare Midriff), it just sounds like you're judging them now based on not revolving around the Seinfeld reunion. That being said... it was a little all over the place at times. =)

Lol yea well honestly I thought that the whole time while watching, I just didn't post anything here, maybe because I didn't want to jinx it. I even sent emails to other people it, for the record. But now that the final episodes have aired I can look back an say that this season was a little off, I think everyone can agree on that. It just so happens that the episodes that had the the Seinfeld were best, they fit in perfectly with the Curb universe, which is exactly what I said in an email to my father about halfway through this season, if you need proof. Having said that, i still enjoyed it, just not as much as the other seasons. The last 2 episodes were gold though, IMO.

Edit- And i don't think that Funkhouser's Crazy Sister, Vehicular Fellatio, Denise Handicapped, and The Black Swan were all that great. Yea they had funny moments but they also moments were I thought, "this is a little different from how the show has been". The scenes with and Denise from the handicapped episode were way too over the top, even by Curbs standards. Same thing with Larry grabbing the girl before falling off the building. The season was filled with those moments. Larry killing the swan? Cmon. I've seen all the seasons many times, I've wasted way too much time watching show over and over again, this season was a little over the top and Larry was a bit out of character (maybe because of the results of the previous season) but it was still different. Regardless, I enjoyed it.

Griffith

Oburi said:
Lol yea well honestly I thought that the whole time while watching, I just didn't post anything here, maybe because I didn't want to jinx it. I even sent emails to other people it, for the record. But now that the final episodes have aired I can look back an say that this season was a little off, I think everyone can agree on that.

I can agree with that, but the Seinfeld thing isn't above it either, and you said the last two were great and others weren't decent, which is ridiculous because other than the Seinfeld factor, there really wasn't much of an difference. It's not like the other episodes were all poorly written and suddenly the Seinfeld ones happened to be fantastic. Plenty of vintage Curb all around.

Oburi said:
It just so happens that the episodes that had the the Seinfeld were best, they fit in perfectly with the Curb universe, which is exactly what I said in an email to my father about halfway through this season, if you need proof. Having said that, i still enjoyed it, just not as much as the other seasons. The last 2 episodes were gold though, IMO.

They were, no doubt, but if you thought "The Reunion" was the best episode out of the first five, you were seriously watching with some Seinfeld colored glasses.

Oburi

All praise Grail
グリフィス said:
I can agree with that, but the Seinfeld thing isn't above it either, and you said the last two were great and others weren't decent, which is ridiculous because other than the Seinfeld factor, there really wasn't much of an difference. It's not like other episodes were all poorly written and suddenly the Seinfeld ones happened to be fantastic. Plenty of vintage Curb all around.

Hmm... I do think it's like that. The Seinfeld episodes were written better than the others. It's not really that hard to imagine considering the episodes are pretty stand alone. The season arcs don't really effect the individual episodes, resulting in some rather unfunny ones. You and I even speculated on how the ending of the second to last episode was go to effect the ending somehow, it didn't, they made no mention of it. So yea I think the final episodes were better written then the rest. It's happened before too, most notably in the season 5 with the Nail Christ episode, which was probably the worst episode, even the studio said that when they first watched they got nervous for fear that the show was taking a bad direction. But it didn't, the show has hit and miss episodes, and now I would say hit and miss seasons.

They were, no doubt, but if you thought "The Reunion" was the best episode out of the first five, you were seriously watching with some Seinfeld colored glasses.

Hmm, well I'd have to rewatch them to really say which is funniest, but I do think that one may be the best. I don't think it's because I'm biased towards Seinfeld, I specifically told myself not to do that, and as you say
I think they did a great job not overplaying the Seinfeld thing and exploiting it like a real reunion, that was perfectly done.
But it may have been the case nonetheless.

Griffith

Oburi said:
Hmm, well I'd have to rewatch them to really say which is funniest, but I do think that one may be the best. I don't think it's because I'm biased towards Seinfeld, I specifically told myself not to do that
Yeah, sounds like you had to try a little too hard, I'm just going to mark you Seinfeld biased and move on. :troll:

It was a weird season, I'm not propping it up, no argument the Seinfeld stuff was definitely the highlight, but the rest wasn't bad like you're characterizing it either. It was preeeeeetty... pretty good.

Oburi

All praise Grail
I'm ashamed to say that for the first time I actually watched Seven Samurai, it was on IFC. I've caught bits here and there but never the full thing, and I had to go to work before I finished it so I still haven't seen the end. Now I'm determined to though, my god what an amazing film. I was truly mesmerized at this masterpiece, I think I've caught the Kurosawa bug :serpico:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Glad to see that you're on a Kurosawa kick. He's got a pretty extensive filmography, but to fully appreciate it you have to understand some history about him, in my opinion. The audio commentary on the Criterion version of Seven Samurai (by Micheal Jeck) is extremely informative and entertaining. It goes into not only Kurosawa's biography, but also Toshiro Mifune's, and their working relationship -- and how they ultimately bitterly parted ways after such a successful stint. It almost becomes another movie in the commentary it's so engrossing. I'd highly recommend it.

But, this is moving things into movie territory, and here I am in a Television thread. Whoops :farnese:

Griffith

NightCrawler said:
I'm watching MTV's Jersey Shore. Probably the greatest piece of trash television ever created. Totally worth it.

jerseyshore.gif

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I've been watching Firefly recently. I never really had much interest in the show, but I picked up the series DVD set after I saw it on sale for $12 at Best Buy :slan:

Oburi

All praise Grail
I watched the Christmas special episode of The Office the other night. It was pretty great. Though I don't really think the new episodes are all that great, the Christmas special was funny, one of the better ones. Also the South Park Christmas specials are on demand. Those are always great, the music one hosted by Mr. hanky and the critters Christmas special are hilarious.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
I watched the Christmas special episode of The Office the other night. It was pretty great. Though I don't really think the new episodes are all that great, the Christmas special was funny, one of the better ones.
The US Office isn't even worth watching. The UK one was great, especially the Christmas Special.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Walter said:
The US Office isn't even worth watching. The UK one was great, especially the Christmas Special.

I wouldn't say it isn't worth watching at all. It's still funny, ecspecially the earlier seasons. I've never seen the UK one, but I'm sure thats great as well.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Oburi said:
I wouldn't say it isn't worth watching at all. It's still funny, ecspecially the earlier seasons. I've never seen the UK one, but I'm sure thats great as well.

It's way better.

X

Xem

NightCrawler said:
It's way better.

I've got both seasons of the UK version sitting in my apartment as we speak. Too bad I need to wait until my college finals are through to dig in. I've seen about 3 episodes of the US version after seeing one episode of the UK version, and I can already tell you the UK version seems way better as well.

I've become a great fan of Dexter, just got done watching the season finale, great stuff. One of those shows that just makes you want to know more. I've been getting into Tudors also, got season 1 on DVD.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Out of curiosity I checked on the status of Flight Of the Conchords and found this http://www.bestweekever.tv/2009-12-11/flight-of-the-conchords-announces-no-third-season-pre-emptively-avoids-weezering-themselves/

:sad: I'm way to depressed over this.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
Out of curiosity I checked on the status of Flight Of the Conchords and found this http://www.bestweekever.tv/2009-12-11/flight-of-the-conchords-announces-no-third-season-pre-emptively-avoids-weezering-themselves/

:sad: I'm way to depressed over this.
We've known that for a loooong time. Even before this official announcement, they'd said the second season would likely be the last.

I recently started watching Dexter. So far I am really enjoying it. If your into crime dramas i'd say that this is definitely your show.

Saephon

Die young and save yourself
Important Question: Should I watch Battle Star Galactica? As far as Sci-fi television goes, I'm a Firefly and Next Generation nut, so use that when gauging your response. :void:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Saephon said:
Important Question: Should I watch Battle Star Galactica? As far as Sci-fi television goes, I'm a Firefly and Next Generation nut, so use that when gauging your response. :void:
Yes.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Saephon said:

It's one of the best TV shows I've seen.

Top Bottom