What are you watching? (television thread)

P

Pez

Johnstantine said:
Dude it's already in the second half of season 4! It's been an excellent season so far, but nothing compares to season 2. It's coming close, but I'll have to wait until the actual season is over to determine if I like it more than 2.

My faves go like this: 2, 3, 4 and then 1.

The season finale for 2 will always be my favorite, season cumulative regardless. It was hilarious and heart warming :casca:
I like the second part of season 4 right now, however. I am looking forward to more Hand + Brock action. I really like the fact that the boys are growing up and you can see them evolving more than just the fifties-stereotyping they had thanks to their dad.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Deci said:
Surprised Boardwalk Empire wasn't mentioned. Lovin' it so far.

Just watched the first episode. Wow, that was really an impressive one hour. In case anyone does not know the first episode was directed by Martin Scorsese and it stars Steve Buscemi in the lead role (finally yes!) and Michael Pitt (who I really liked from one of my favorite films The Dreamers). The acting is great and the sets and costumes that are needed to make a period piece like this are all top notch. I wasn't even planning on watching the entire (pretty lengthy) first episode but I was so captivated I was up till 4 a.m. It's just like watching any of the best Scorsese films. It's got it all, including some really quick but brutal violence
(One scene involving a shotgun blast to the face point blank had me stuck in rewind/pause/rewind mode)
I recommend you all watch it.

Edit- Okay looks like I'm going to go back on myself here. Boardwalk Empire isn't looking so hot now, the first episode was really great, but after the last two .. oh boy, bad writing, cliche's like you wouldn't believe ... it's like the writing all fell apart after the first episode. I'll watch it tomorrow night but if that episode is as boring as the the last I'm done. So disappointing, I'm actually going to predict that if the show does not get better soon it will lose over half of it's viewers from the premier ( which was the biggest for HBO since Deadwood).

The only current tv series I watch is Castle with Nathan Fillion. It's not the greatest series but I like detective mysteries and I'm a fan of Nathan's acting (Mal from Serenity/Firefly)

Anyone else here watch the occasional episode?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Ramen4ever said:
The only current tv series I watch is Castle with Nathan Fillion. It's not the greatest series but I like detective mysteries and I'm a fan of Nathan's acting (Mal from Serenity/Firefly)

Anyone else here watch the occasional episode?

Haven't seen any of it yet, but I'm also interested because of the actor. I'll give it a shot one of these days.

What're some of the best or better series that've been aired on HBO off late? I haven't had access to the channel, but I could pick up DVDs and hop on board. Couple of weeks ago I watched the first episode of a new season for a funny show with the guy from Tropic Thunder (the bomber expert) who's a sort of washed out Baseball player.

NotWaifuMaterial

Miura should do Josei someday.
I freaking love 30 Rock. I just love Jack McBrayer so much, in every fucking sense. :farnese:

I also watch Bones, with my father, since it's practically the only family time I get to spend with him. Other than that, I try to get my fix of Discovery Channel and National Geographic with the little free time I have. And now that you guys mention it, I'm really interested in watching Boardwalk Empire. Scorsese and gangsters is a perfect recipe for awesomeness.

IncantatioN said:
What're some of the best or better series that've been aired on HBO off late? I haven't had access to the channel, but I could pick up DVDs and hop on board. Couple of weeks ago I watched the first episode of a new season for a funny show with the guy from Tropic Thunder (the bomber expert) who's a sort of washed out Baseball player.

Band of Brothers, The Pacific ( I preferred BoB far more though), and the new series that's coming out soon-ish, Game of Thrones with Sean Bean. (Might be interesting)
Only other series I even remotely know is True Blood, but I've only seen a couple scenes on youtube.
Here's a list of all past/present and current future HBO works
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_programs_broadcast_by_HBO

Aazealh said:
Haven't seen any of it yet, but I'm also interested because of the actor. I'll give it a shot one of these days.

Am I right in assuming that you know the actor because of Firefly?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Ramen4ever said:
Am I right in assuming that you know the actor because of Firefly?

Yeah. Not that he's done too many other things. Anyway, I've been watching The Mentalist these days. It's not bad.

X

Xem

IncantatioN said:

That show is Eastbound and Down and I thought the first season was rather funny but haven't seen much of the new one.

The big show at the moment is Boardwalk Empire starring Steve Buscemi, written by Terence Winter (Soprano's guy) and directed by Martin Scorsese (at least the pilot). From what I've seen it's pretty fuckin' good.

A lesser known HBO series that I personally rather enjoy is Bored to Death. Stars Zach Galifianakis, Ted Danson and Jason Schwartzman.

Aazealh said:
Anyway, I've been watching The Mentalist these days. It's not bad.

The mentalist is a pretty good show, just finished season 1. Other than that I've been watching Fringe. It has a pretty good cast.

I've been watching Mobile Suit Gundam.
rfrhm.jpg

Aaahhh cool beans, I'll check The Pacific and Bored To Death out. I enjoyed Band Of Brothers when it came out on DVD. I watched just 1 episode of Boardwalk Empire that same night, and it was alright, I liked how the episode ended
this guy's making out with a younger woman and suddenly a man comes out from the woods asking for help like a zombie movie
, cracked me up.

MSG the original series IS tits.

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
Eluvei said:
I've been watching Mobile Suit Gundam.
rfrhm.jpg

Bringing oldsk00l back! Are you referring to the original? Those were the days. I haven't kept up with any of the new Gundam series, but a friend of mine says Zeta and Unicorn are awesome.

Puck is also the best thing, ever.

Aphasia said:
Bringing oldsk00l back! Are you referring to the original? Those were the days. I haven't kept up with any of the new Gundam series, but a friend of mine says Zeta and Unicorn are awesome.

I finished the original series two days ago. Now I'm watching Zeta, I'm on episode 13 and it's much better than I expected. Kinda depressing too! Terrible things happen and there's no attempt to cheer anybody up! There are some pacing issues and other minor problems, but nothing off-putting.

I'm very intolerant with anime, and this Gundam marathon is my first attempt at watching a series in 6 years (aside from Masaaki Yuasa's stuff). I plan to finish the original famous trilogy (MSG, Zeta and Char's Counterattack), and after a while I'll probably watch all titles of the franchise's creator. Loving his stuff.

Zeta is a class apart. Double Zeta didn't do as much as Zeta did for me. Then there's the impressive 08th MS Team and Stardust Memory. I've watched the full UC series in order, and it's worth it. Don't watch Char's Counterattack until you finish Double Zeta. The order is MSG MS IGLOO, MSG, MSG 08th MS Team, MSG 0080: War In The Pocket, MSG 0083: Stardust Memory, MSZG, MSG ZZ, MSG Char's Counterattack, MSG Unicorn, MSG F91, MSVG, G-Savior. Destiny and Seed were crap. I was skeptical when Gundam 00 started to air, but it's actually pretty good, both seasons included. The only problem is the Gundam universe is so expansive with the upgrades on suits, and timelines that it's easy to scare off a beginner to the series.

Aphasia

Eluvei said:
I'm very intolerant with anime, and this Gundam marathon is my first attempt at watching a series in 6 years (aside from Masaaki Yuasa's stuff). I plan to finish the original famous trilogy (MSG, Zeta and Char's Counterattack), and after a while I'll probably watch all titles of the franchise's creator. Loving his stuff.

Heh, cool! Anime has come a long way. There's still a lot of crap, but there's also really good stuff, depending on your tastes. Anime is somewhat of a specific taste to begin with. It's good that you're getting back into it. I haven't watched a Gundam series in the longest time, I feel like I have to now! Gundam Wing was the first series I remember, so I might watch that. Here comes the nostalgia (and realization that the series wasn't as cool as it really was in Kid-O-Vision) Glad you're enjoying Zeta.

IncantatioN said:
Zeta is a class apart. Double Zeta didn't do as much as Zeta did for me. Then there's the impressive 08th MS Team and Stardust Memory. I've watched the full UC series in order, and it's worth it. Don't watch Char's Counterattack until you finish Double Zeta. The order is MSG MS IGLOO, MSG, MSG 08th MS Team, MSG 0080: War In The Pocket, MSG 0083: Stardust Memory, MSZG, MSG ZZ, MSG Char's Counterattack, MSG Unicorn, MSG F91, MSVG, G-Savior. Destiny and Seed were crap. I was skeptical when Gundam 00 started to air, but it's actually pretty good, both seasons included. The only problem is the Gundam universe is so expansive with the upgrades on suits, and timelines that it's easy to scare off a beginner to the series.

Yeah! I remember 08th MS Team. That was class. Really good stuff. There was that giant ass mech that dominated. Neat stuff. That's an impressive list you have there hahah.

I can see what you mean. I tend to stray away from shows/anime that have a million spin-offs and a billion episodes just for the sake of having them. I find anime around 13-30 episodes to be pretty satisfying without overstaying their welcome. Not saying that Gundam is guilty of that, but you're right that it can be overwhelming.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Speaking of anime... I'm slowpoking a bit and watching Revolutionary Girl Utena! Where fabulous is a way of life and your eyes float right over your hair! :troll:

Also watching Arakawa Under the Bridge season 2, Shinryaku! Ika Musume(cute squid girl tries to take over the world, very highbrow :badbone: ), Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt(western style animation/art style show by Gainax), and plan to try out Madhouse's Iron Man, Star Driver, Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteriu, Togainu No Chi, and maybe Bakuman from this season. I also watched all that's out of Community, which I'm really enjoying despite my dislike of Joel McHale.

Also, you guys should all watch Legend of the Galactic Heroes! It's 110 episodes for the main series, which is standalone and worthwhile enough to skip the gaidens/movies. It's almost like a war documentary space opera following the model of the Franco-Prussian War, switching back and forth between the different sides of the war. I know Walter likes/liked it! :void:

Eluvei said:
(aside from Masaaki Yuasa's stuff)
Also, very nice! Kaiba, Kemonozume, and Tatami Galaxy are some of my recent favorites along with the movie Mind Game.

I just (today) started watching Hiccups. It's Brent Butt's latest show after Corner Gas. Stars his wife Nancy Robertson.

So far, I'm a bit torn as to whether or not I really like it, or if it's just pretty good. It's pretty busy and the tempo of it all feels rushed, but maybe that's just the first episode. The comedy on the other hand, is pretty damn funny.

Edit.* Change in my stance. This show is fucking hilarious. :troll: Even cornergas didn't make me laugh as much.

Dar_Klink

IncantatioN said:
Legend of the Galactic Heroes is DAMN GOOD, under-rated, I own it. Dar Kink, what do you think of Space Runaway Ideon?
Haven't watched it actually, I've been more into Space Opera than mecha, but I'm slowly trying to watch a bit more. Probably gonna watch Overman King Gainer, GaoGaiGar, and SRI soon. How about Crest/Banner of the Stars? Any of you guys seen that series? I love Crest, but haven't watched Banner just yet.

Aphasia

Dar Klink said:
Haven't watched it actually, I've been more into Space Opera than mecha, but I'm slowly trying to watch a bit more. Probably gonna watch Overman King Gainer, GaoGaiGar, and SRI soon. How about Crest/Banner of the Stars? Any of you guys seen that series? I love Crest, but haven't watched Banner just yet.

Didn't Crest used to come on Toonami/Cartoon network? I remember watching it occasionally, but never really got into it for some reason. Probably too distracted with Dragon Ball at the time.

If anyone hasn't seen Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann yet I highly recommend it. I finished it maybe a month ago. It's one of those series that's just...Fun.

Dar_Klink

Aphasia said:
Didn't Crest used to come on Toonami/Cartoon network? I remember watching it occasionally, but never really got into it for some reason. Probably too distracted with Dragon Ball at the time.
Crest and Banner both came on TechTV back in the day, so you might have seen them there on Anime Unleashed which had some good programming actually, Serial Experiments Lain, Cromartie High, Abenobashi Shopping Arcade, and Paranoia Agent just to name a few.
If anyone hasn't seen Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann yet I highly recommend it. I finished it maybe a month ago. It's one of those series that's just...Fun.
I got bored of the show around the episode where
Nia appears
because it seemed like there were just too many beast generals to fight. I ended up just watching the two movies of the series and loving them, the pacing worked better for me at least. Plus,
Fist fight with the Anti-Spiral

IncantatioN said:
Zeta is a class apart. Double Zeta didn't do as much as Zeta did for me. Then there's the impressive 08th MS Team and Stardust Memory. I've watched the full UC series in order, and it's worth it. Don't watch Char's Counterattack until you finish Double Zeta.

I was considering skipping Double Zeta since I've heard some terrible things about it, but I'm enjoying Zeta so much that I'm willing to give a chance to a series with a different mood, so I won't skip it.

IncantatioN said:
The only problem is the Gundam universe is so expansive with the upgrades on suits, and timelines that it's easy to scare off a beginner to the series.

Definitely. I still have no interest in SeeD, Zeta, Wing and other spin-offs. The only one not in Universal Century that I'll watch is probably Turn A Gundam, since it's from Tomino.

Aphasia said:
I haven't watched a Gundam series in the longest time, I feel like I have to now! Gundam Wing was the first series I remember, so I might watch that. Here comes the nostalgia (and realization that the series wasn't as cool as it really was in Kid-O-Vision) Glad you're enjoying Zeta.

I remember trying to rewatch Wing a few years back and was extremely disappointed. I pretty much hate it now, it's pretty shallow in comparison to Zeta and it borrows a lot from its plot and setting. With Gundam, the opposite happened, I hadn't realized how deeper the story was and how Amuro felt like a real guy. It looks pretty old for today's standards, but it's still a fantastic story. I recommend you give the movie trilogy a try, they're 2 and a half hours each and have many improvements over the series; a lot of filler was removed, and there are slight differences that Tomino felt were necessary to make it a more believable story. I've seen bits of the movies and was pretty impressed.

Dar Klink said:
Also, very nice! Kaiba, Kemonozume, and Tatami Galaxy are some of my recent favorites along with the movie Mind Game.

Yeah, I've yet to see Tatami Galaxy, but all his works, even shorts, are just amazing. He's definitely my favorite anime director nowadays. You're the one that recommended me Mind Game, man. Thanks. :badbone:

Top Bottom