What are you watching? (television thread)

Twin Peaks. Recommended to me by a few, I just got around watching it. Didn't know it was Lynch, LOVED Season 1, it's brilliant. Season 2 upped it's weird quotient in a good way but felt abrupt in some way. So I wiki'd a bit and learnt of how bad ratings got the studio to force Lynch into revealing the killer mid-way - wasn't Lynch's intent. Sucks it got cancelled after Season 2, can't wait to finish it though.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
IncantatioN said:
LOVED Season 1, it's brilliant. Season 2...
Yup, that's about right :ganishka: Fantastic show. One of the best ever made, in my opinion. But it's also one of the most stunted. You can essentially stop watching after Season 1, which ends in a cliffhanger, and never quite recovers. Though there are some hilarious, memorable things that happen as a result of the poor writing in the middling episodes of Season 2, like when James rides off into the plot of another TV show.

Still, the ending to season 2, while weird and abrupt, I thought it was amazing. Still haunting to this day.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
hellrasinbrasin said:
Did you ever see the film Fire Walk With Me.
I think that movie is best watched when slightly drunk. I love the first segment—the flashback to another town, with a David Bowie cameo. It opens up a lot of possibilities about the recurring themes. But the rest wasn't too great, I didn't think. It felt out of place, to me.

H

hellrasinbrasin

Walter said:
I think that movie is best watched when slightly drunk. I love the first segment—the flashback to another town, with a David Bowie cameo. It opens up a lot of possibilities about the recurring themes. But the rest wasn't too great, I didn't think. It felt out of place, to me.

I remember when they ran it in theaters and it bombed. It wasn't that it was a bad film far from it it was a darn good film. That said if you had no prior knowledge of the series going into the film you wouldn't understand what was being shown or the answers given that re contextualized a lot of what was showcased on the series.

---

By the way has anyone here ever seen Lexx... I'm 2 Series in.

Just started watching Mad Men on Netflix. The first few episodes didn't bring me in as quickly as Twin Peaks or Breaking Bad but it's building up to something, I hope.

I'm still watching True Blood... which is pretty terrible, but it got me to watch Newsroom, which i was SUPER skeptical of, and am enjoying now. I'm also totally digging Breaking Bad.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
IncantatioN said:
Just started watching Mad Men on Netflix. The first few episodes didn't bring me in as quickly as Twin Peaks or Breaking Bad but it's building up to something, I hope.
It's a decent show with great characters right up until this most recent season, when it became clear they were milking it for extra seasons (there was originally a 5-season arc plan, now it's 7.) Writing went downhill sharply, scenarios are contrived... it's just depressing. Not the same show at all.

JudeauChop said:
I'm still watching True Blood... which is pretty terrible, but it got me to watch Newsroom, which i was SUPER skeptical of, and am enjoying now. I'm also totally digging Breaking Bad.

True blood was pretty entertaining for me for the last 2/3 of season 1, but I just gradually got more and more sick of it to the point where I'm not even going to touch the fifth season. It's not a story; it's a random chain of supernatural events with a bunch of people who are either dumping or fucking each other all the time.
Also, castrating Eric was not cool.

Walter said:
It's a decent show with great characters right up until this most recent season, when it became clear they were milking it for extra seasons (there was originally a 5-season arc plan, now it's 7.) Writing went downhill sharply, scenarios are contrived... it's just depressing. Not the same show at all.
That's a bummer on the 'milking' aspect. Post episode 3, I've been enjoying it so far. 1 episode shy of finishing S1 and the tension between
Pete and Don
is building up well. MAN, Don's suits are cool *adds to his want list*.

Groovy Metal Fist said:
True blood was pretty entertaining for me for the last 2/3 of season 1, but I just gradually got more and more sick of it to the point where I'm not even going to touch the fifth season. It's not a story; it's a random chain of supernatural events with a bunch of people who are either dumping or fucking each other all the time.
Also, castrating Eric was not cool.
I'm to the point where I kind of hope they kill of characters, so we don't have to watch all of the stupid side stories any more (when those characters used to be my favorite). I should just stop watching it. I guess the 'creator/main writer' is leaving after this season, so I kind of think he's trying to run it into the ground before he leaves.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Groovy Metal Fist said:

I'm ashamed to say I've seen every episode of this show but the latest. First season is legitimately good, and I enjoy the third season's "everything and the kitchen sink" mentality (and of course Russell Edgington =), but that card was played and now it's just a horribly campy flailing clusterfuck with 10,000 characters and no narrative or point. Not even Russell has been any good this season, and bringing him back was a desperation move that in Breaking Bad terms would be like if they brought back Gus for the second half of season 5.
Also not cool, killing Chris Meloni, the other hope for this season.

JudeauChop said:
I guess the 'creator/main writer' is leaving after this season, so I kind of think he's trying to run it into the ground before he leaves.

What was the excuse last season, and all of them to some degree? I don't think the guy is very good, the show is based on a book seris and the best season is the one closest to the source material. No big loss, as a matter fact, maybe someone else could clean it up.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Yea I thought season 1 of True Blood was promising. I really like it actually. But halfway through season 2 I completely lost interest. As far as Mad Men, it's seems like it's something I would enjoy but I watched the first 2 or 3 episodes and found it very slow and kind of boring. I guess it gets better but I don't I'll ever go back. Same with True Blood. Not enough time really. I still have yet to catch up on Breaking Bad (but that's a must :guts:)

My girlfriend is forcing me to sit through Supernatural :azan: While it's definitely aimed at a more female audience and the writing is filled with way too many pop culture references for me to truly get into, it's not too bad. I think of it as a kind of x-files for teens (which is clearly what they are going for as any x-files fan would know after seeing just one episode).

The first 2/3 seasons of Supernatural's decent. What struck me about the show was that the special effects aren't THAT bad and you kinda get used to Sam's constant whining/ pout faces and Dean's duck face. Bobby rules.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
IncantatioN said:
Twin Peaks. Recommended to me by a few, I just got around watching it. Didn't know it was Lynch, LOVED Season 1, it's brilliant. Season 2 upped it's weird quotient in a good way but felt abrupt in some way. So I wiki'd a bit and learnt of how bad ratings got the studio to force Lynch into revealing the killer mid-way - wasn't Lynch's intent. Sucks it got cancelled after Season 2, can't wait to finish it though.
I'm a bit creeped out since I haven't looked at this thread in a while and just came to say I started watching this as well. I'm around the beginning of season 2 still right now, enjoying it quite a bit, Agent Cooper is my favorite character so far.

Oburi

All praise Grail
I never actually finished Twin Peaks. I watched it years ago (I have the box set actually). As a fan of Lynch, I remember watching the first episode (the pilot) and thinking "this has the potential to be the greatest television show I've ever fucking seen". However it seemed to get worse and worse during it's short run and I cared less and less about the never ending side plots. I could always tell which episodes Lynch directed himself as those had the best, the creepiest, and the most surreal moments of the show. Although as I said I never finished it. I stopped watching when David Duchovny started appearing in women's cloths. By that point I lost all interest, much like the viewers of Twin Peaks when it was originally broadcast I assume. I also bought the movie, Fire Walk With Me. But like the series, I can't remember finishing that either. It felt so different from the series even though it was the same actors and whatnot.

Idk, Twin Peaks could have been something so great. It had it's moments for sure, but there's so much boring filler that just totally bores me. I remember hating most of the actors too (at least the male ones).

Funny. I misspelled "Duchoveny" and curiously right clicked to see the suggested spelling, which was "Beethoven"? Strangely, David Duchovny was in the 1993 film "Beethoven". I'm telling you man, weird shit happens when you talk about Twin Peaks.

Walter said:
Close to the end of S3 and it's my favorite season so far. The show, at this point, got better and better. I'm at the point where
Betts confronts Don about his past. Those scenes in the kitchen and the bedroom right after were darn good

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Finished both Twin Peaks and the movie today. As bad and weird as the writing got in the middle of season 2, it's one of my favorite tv shows for sure. I really wish circumstances had allowed it to have been actually concluded. It always saddens me when something as good as this has such stupid problems plaguing it that cause it to lose track/jump the shark. In any case, what would you guys recommend if I'm looking for something similar? The abrupt way it ended has left me wanting more of the same flavor, be it TV, film, animation, video games, etc.

A friend last week recommended I check out Boss cos we spoke briefly about Homeland, etc. So I downloaded S1 not knowing who was in it. S1 was a bloody 10/10 for me! I wasn't expecting to love it that much and it reeled me in after the 2nd episode. Kelsey Grammer is unbelievably good, steals the show but the rest of the cast is pretty good. I recommend anyone to give it a shot. Also finished watching S2, which isn't as good because some characters are subdued but it springs back mid-season till the end.

MrWeatherby

What's up, ketchup?
Dar Klink said:
Finished both Twin Peaks and the movie today. As bad and weird as the writing got in the middle of season 2,

Yeah there's some batshit decisions they made during season two, but at least we got that whole superhuman Norma subplot. That continues to be one of my favorite character arcs on TV.

I've just gotten halfway through season three of Breaking Bad. I figure at this rate I'll be able to watch the rest of season five by the time it comes out.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Dar Klink said:
Finished both Twin Peaks and the movie today. As bad and weird as the writing got in the middle of season 2, it's one of my favorite tv shows for sure.
It got progressively shittier the less Lynch had to do with the show. Then he swooped in for the finale, and it was amazing, whattaya know. Too bad that's the end... :sad:

MrWeatherby

What's up, ketchup?
Walter said:
It got progressively shittier the less Lynch had to do with the show. Then he swooped in for the finale, and it was amazing, whattaya know. Too bad that's the end... :sad:

I can't remember how involved he was with the reveal of the killer, but I thought all of that was handled very well too. Season two opened good, the reveal was great, and the direction they were going in with Windom Earle was fantastically eerie and odd. In between all this were some strange lulls filled with crazy dumb ideas and awful writing, but even those in their own had had some kind of weird charm.

Twin Peaks is really one of my favorite series.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Finished watching Firefly series along with the movie. I really liked how they tied up the series and the movie. I just hoped they would have shown more of the futuristic cities as well.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
TheBranded1 said:
Finished watching Firefly series along with the movie. I really liked how they tied up the series and the movie. I just hoped they would have shown more of the futuristic cities as well.

I'm probably one of the only people who thought Firefly was extremely overrated. I had my qualms with the series (mainly with Gina Torres and Jewel Staite -- I can't stand either of them), so it really distracted my from enjoying it. Nathan Fillion and Alan Tudyk are two of my favorite actors, so it saddened me that I didn't care for the series.

Serenity was a shitty movie, too because
Tudyk dies

Top Bottom