What are you watching? (television thread)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Johnstantine said:
I'm probably one of the only people who thought Firefly was extremely overrated.
You are not alone, but I enjoyed it all the same. I think it only gets as much attention as it does because it was cut short.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Johnstantine said:
I'm probably one of the only people who thought Firefly was extremely overrated.

I don't think it's really overrated, it just has a ravid fanbase. I personally think it's one of the best series I've seen though. Was very promising. Serenity I didn't enjoy nearly as much.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
IncantatioN said:
Anyone else watching the new season for Shahs Of Sunset?
I've been subjected to watching this horse shit show. Any honkey like me who wants to learn a thing or two about Persian culture, this isn't the place to learn it from at all. Every person on this show is completely hateable. If I could pick one that I like, I like Reza just because he's a funny dude sometimes and I like his mustache. Still a shallow prick like all the rest of em. All I see is scene after scene of scripted poorly acted fucking garbage. But, really, I have a feeling that's what every one of these dumb reality shows are like. I can't watch them.

I used to watch reality shows and get so fucking pissed off at the people and the situations and I keep watching to keep hating. I was a sucker for the "Sweet 16" one and "Surreal Life" (the one with Flavor Flav). But I would just watch and get angry and I realized that most of these shows are designed to get you upset. That's how they get you. Why not watch something that makes you happy? Or at least challenges you or something.

I watch Shahs of Sunset because I get to sit with my Persian grailfriend and be angry together with her.

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Gobolatula said:
I watch Shahs of Sunset because I get to sit with my Persian grailfriend and be angry together with her.
I'm ashamed to admit that it didn't bother me as much when we started watching, but it feels like they've purposely been making things more and more ridiculous to distract viewers from the fact that the "characters" are so irritating. I think I'm only watching it so that I get to see their parents, who are much more realistic and entertaining. Oh, and Lilly's dumb dog, Coconuts. :ubik:

Yeah Grail, I feel for their parents. MJ's Mom especially, she's ballsy like that one episode when she just walks out of that family luncheon she and MJ went over to, I think it was her brother's place. Wait, you're Persian?! #high five# ... do you set the table up with goodies at Nowruz (we'd call it Navrose)?

Gobolatula said:
I've been subjected to watching this horse shit show. Any honkey like me who wants to learn a thing or two about Persian culture, this isn't the place to learn it from at all. Every person on this show is completely hateable. If I could pick one that I like, I like Reza just because he's a funny dude sometimes and I like his mustache. Still a shallow prick like all the rest of em. All I see is scene after scene of scripted poorly acted fucking garbage. But, really, I have a feeling that's what every one of these dumb reality shows are like. I can't watch them.

I used to watch reality shows and get so fucking pissed off at the people and the situations and I keep watching to keep hating. I was a sucker for the "Sweet 16" one and "Surreal Life" (the one with Flavor Flav). But I would just watch and get angry and I realized that most of these shows are designed to get you upset. That's how they get you. Why not watch something that makes you happy? Or at least challenges you or something.

Aww man, the show lost some steam this season compared to season 1. Reza's awesome "She's so skinny, I want to wear her" - first reaction when he met Lily the first time hahaha. He's funny because he's sort of a lost cause. Mike seems the most sensible in the group, next episode will be tough on him when he tells his family about his girlfriend and getting serious with her. Have you guys watched any of Asa's songs on YT, hilarious stuff but I'll admit there was a track she played during that first recording episode that sounded atmospheric cool kinda to me, among the other stupid sounding tracks. Just that one : p. GG is just nuts, didn't imagine she'd connect with Lily in that last episode. I don't care if MJ is getting close to being 40, she's cute but ... sigh.

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Okay, I'm just gonna get all this Shahs of Sunset talk out of my system. Canty, you've opened the floodgates!

IncantatioN said:
Yeah Grail, I feel for their parents. MJ's Mom especially, she's ballsy like that one episode when she just walks out of that family luncheon she and MJ went over to, I think it was her brother's place.
Yeah, MJ's mom is definitely my favorite. She's a meaner version of my own mom in some ways. :iva:

IncantatioN said:
Wait, you're Persian?! #high five# ... do you set the table up with goodies at Nowruz (we'd call it Navrose)?
Yeah, half. Are you Hindu or Zoroastrian? We don't usually set up a Haft-Sin at my house, but I think I'll try bringing back the tradition this year... mostly because I'd like to have a pet goldfish. :badbone:

IncantatioN said:
Aww man, the show lost some steam this season compared to season 1. Reza's awesome "She's so skinny, I want to wear her" - first reaction when he met Lily the first time hahaha.
Dude, Lilly drives me nuts. She's easily the one that Gobs and I end up complaining about the most. I'm pretty sure she's some sort of robot designed specifically to annoy the hell out of whoever watches this show. The part where she had a blind date with this one poor guy pretty much convinced me.

IncantatioN said:
Mike seems the most sensible in the group, next episode will be tough on him when he tells his family about his girlfriend and getting serious with her.
I gotta say, I don't know what Jewish-Iranian feelings are toward gentiles/non-Iranians when it comes to marriage, but I'd like to think that they're not that close-minded about it. I think it might be edited to seem more controversial.

IncantatioN said:
Have you guys watched any of Asa's songs on YT, hilarious stuff but I'll admit there was a track she played during that first recording episode that sounded atmospheric cool kinda to me, among the other stupid sounding tracks. Just that one : p. GG is just nuts, didn't imagine she'd connect with Lily in that last episode. I don't care if MJ is getting close to being 40, she's cute but ... sigh.
Asa is kind of a joke. I used to think she was alright, but ever since that diamond water thing, it's very hard to take her seriously. Again, I think she might be hamming it up for the camera (at least, I hope so :griffnotevil: ). Plus, her music is terrible. MJ and Reza are probably the least nutty/irritating characters to me.

Man, looking back at everything I've said, it's a wonder that I still watch the show! I can't seem to help myself, though... that's the danger of reality TV. :ganishka:

Grail said:
Okay, I'm just gonna get all this Shahs of Sunset talk out of my system. Canty, you've opened the floodgates!
Haha awesome! It's a fun show because there are embarrassing moments or WTF that can't be happening moments overall.

Grail said:
Yeah, MJ's mom is definitely my favorite. She's a meaner version of my own mom in some ways. :iva:
I was a bit surprised by what she agreed to do this last episode. She's damn sensible but very very mean. I get why she's worried about MJ with the 'being a drunk' part and worrying about her. Maybe she said that to save face. Which brings me to question when do they say what they do, you know in between actual clips, is it after the show or the same day or the next day, etc.

Grail said:
Yeah, half. Are you Hindu or Zoroastrian? We don't usually set up a Haft-Sin at my house, but I think I'll try bringing back the tradition this year... mostly because I'd like to have a pet goldfish. :badbone:
Zoroastrian, Parsi to be exact. Always wanted to find out the history of my bloodline to map out who traveled from Persia to India those many years ago and see what professions they undertook in a fresh start in a different country, you know. Our history has been vast, rich in culture and a lot of the ancient texts were burnt by Alexander. But yeah, we're not a lot of us left in the world, maybe 150,000 or less I don't know. You should totally do it and take pictures of the fishy :guts:. My paternal grandmother used to set the table and Mom carried that tradition forward. I've done that once here but I may try it this year, invite a bunch of pals over and stuff.

Grail said:
Dude, Lilly drives me nuts. She's easily the one that Gobs and I end up complaining about the most. I'm pretty sure she's some sort of robot designed specifically to annoy the hell out of whoever watches this show. The part where she had a blind date with this one poor guy pretty much convinced me.
Lily ... her voice : / ... and her tan : / or it looks like a permanent tan or maybe it's just a LOT of make-up. Oh yeah, that blind date was awful. What was worse was her talk with her old buddy, actually I'd have to side with her on that one because that guy was just old fashioned backward but I suspect there's more to that story we obviously don't know about. Most annoying person on the show, next to GG which is funny cos the both of them connected in the last episode.

Grail said:
I gotta say, I don't know what Jewish-Iranian feelings are toward gentiles/non-Iranians when it comes to marriage, but I'd like to think that they're not that close-minded about it. I think it might be edited to seem more controversial.
It's a bit common in old fashioned religious households I guess. Like my folks would like me to get married to a Zoroastrian and if I like someone who isn't one, they'd still be ok with it - now that's considered very liberal back home! I know a lot of families where they'd disown their kids if they would marry outside the faith.

Grail said:
Asa is kind of a joke. I used to think she was alright, but ever since that diamond water thing, it's very hard to take her seriously. Again, I think she might be hamming it up for the camera (at least, I hope so :griffnotevil: ). Plus, her music is terrible. MJ and Reza are probably the least nutty/irritating characters to me.
Diamond Water :ganishka: awww man, what about "Come, let me show you the concrete outside my door ... you know what's underneath this Reza? I buried $30,000 worth of gold coins in the concrete because I'm a Persian Pop Star Princess and a bit of a Gypsy and that's such a Gypsy thing, right?".

Grail said:
Man, looking back at everything I've said, it's a wonder that I still watch the show! I can't seem to help myself, though... that's the danger of reality TV. :ganishka:
It's okay to watch ridiculous stuff *pat pat*. I like to shut my mind off sometimes and these kind of shows help. I miss a few episodes and it still doesn't matter cos there's something or the other constantly going on. Same with the Real Housewives Of Beverly Hills, just real - unintentionally comedic - drama.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Grail said:
Gobolatula said:
Season finale of Shahs of Sunset coming up.
You people are weird :void:

Still barreling through Star Trek: TNG with my wife (and son?). By season 6, you start feeling the engine dying a little. There's an episode where four of the main cast are beamed back aboard the Enterprise as teenage versions of themselves. Wackiness ensues. It's not all bad, of course. Even in the worst episodes, there are genuinely cool or funny moments. But still... nothing has matched "Best of Both Worlds," in my opinion.

I missed the last 15 minutes of the season finale last night cos I put it to record while I watched the Grammy's and somehow it never went through, so I waited for the 12:30 AM re-run and dozed off on the couch. Not enough fireworks! But I wonder how the concert went. I'll finish it tonight. I'm glad for Mike, his parents seemed cautious and open to the aspect of him being serious outside of the community. Whether it was for the cameras we'll never know but the father sweetly snuck in his point about the language barrier from his perspective. That reunion promo looks fantastic hahaha.

MrWeatherby

What's up, ketchup?
I've been trying to clear out my TV collection since there's still a few unwatched things on my shelf (including two seasons of Third Rock from the Sun and the eighth season of Curb Your Enthusiasm), which means I'm currently going through the second season of the Man Show. It's ok, really hit or miss. Apparently all the clips I saw and liked of it are from season three, so getting 1 and 2 was sort of a mistake.

The first season of Heroes is also sitting on my shelf, but in the year and a half that I've owned it, I've never once wanted to put it in.

Also just finished watching the first four seasons of Breaking Bad in order again.

SHOWS

I actually miss watching 3rd Rock From The Sun, used to air all the time back home and mostly re-runs. I should prolly hit it up from start to finish and satisfy that urge, now that I saw you mention it and it's sort of playing on my mind.

I'm a few episodes in a British comedy called The IT Crowd. I'm a sucker for British humour, grew up watching em, prefer it to American humor. So far, it's excellent. Try this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP7LHHR91lE - if you want to be a bit spoiled by what happens in the show.

MrWeatherby

What's up, ketchup?
IncantatioN said:
I actually miss watching 3rd Rock From The Sun, used to air all the time back home and mostly re-runs. I should prolly hit it up from start to finish and satisfy that urge, now that I saw you mention it and it's sort of playing on my mind.

Mill Creek Entertainment has been putting the series out again on DVD. They're ten bucks tops, but I got mine for about 4 each. The only real downside is they have some batshit way of storing the actual discs where they're clipped in on top of each other and separated by sleeves. The only alternative is the original box sets, but the last I checked they were still hard to find an absurdly expensive.

Breed1Ghost said:
I have been watching

Arrow
Zero Hour
Cult
Comicbook men

Anything you'd recommend or pretty much all of them?

Finally they aired part 2 of the reunion for the Shahs Of Sunset. Pretty dramatic, it'as better than part 1 and a lot of revealing stuff about MJ like the bank thing. I thought Reza was overly attacking and I found it surprising MJ said there was progress in their relationship in the end. Overall, this season was better than the last, for I think there was more we could make fun of or talk about this time around like Asa, Lily, Omid's nose (oh wait, he might find me irl for saying that), etc.

I finished watching all 4 seasons of The IT Crowd, highly recommended. I think it's watchable on Netflix. Try this snippet - Jen is the Relationship Manager for the IT Department comprising of Roy and Moss. She's just won Employee Of The Month and there's a speech to be made for the shareholders of the company. She's oblivious of everything related to IT and the duo figure they could write her speech for her, help her out and this's what they planned - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDA1HUmuuJo

Next up is a marathon of all seasons of Tales Of The Crypt or re-watching The Vision Of Escaflowne for the n'th time cos I was discussing it with a pal last week, triggering my urge to see it.

IncantatioN said:
Anything you'd recommend or pretty much all of them?

I really like Arrow, it's making me wish I was into the green arrow comic. They also have a few other DC chars in it here and there maybe more but I wouldn't be able to tell.

Anyone into comics should be watching Comicbook Men I enjoy this show allot I find it very funny.

Zero Hour isn't so bad. Kinda like national treasure meets the omen.

I missed half the first epp of Cult but I am digging it

If you want me to go into more detail for any of them let me know and I'll pm you.

Saephon

Die young and save yourself
Recently breezed through the first season of "House of Cards", a political drama starring Kevin Spacey. It's a direct-to-Netflix series, so all the episodes are available. I thoroughly enjoyed the writing, the cinematography, and the various power grabs at play in the story. At first it seems like there were a couple missteps in casting early on (particularly the female roles), but by mid-season all of the acting is spot-on and compelling. Couldn't put the damn show down.

Only downside is that it's very obviously exaggerated at certain points, to where even an extreme cynic like me doesn't completely suspend disbelief about the U.S. government. :ganishka: But if you like West Wing/The Wire, I highly recommend "Cards". I think it has some serious potential. Not to mention the first couple episodes are directed by David Fincher.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Been watching the new season of Community while rewatching the old seasons. Seasons 1 and 2 were definitely the best. Season 3 got too weird and meta with all their parodies and shit while flanderizing all the characters. Season 4 has barely had any good episodes so far. If you ever want a pretty okay "quirky" comedy with some good references or meta humor, watch the first two seasons and if you move on, don't expect it to stay as good(if you even find that good). Season 3 does have some pretty good standalone episodes, but overall it was a steady decline for the series.

I've also been watching Initial D, Urusei Yatsura, and Rose of Versailles.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Dar Klink said:
Been watching the new season of Community while rewatching the old seasons. Seasons 1 and 2 were definitely the best. Season 3 got too weird and meta with all their parodies and shit while flanderizing all the characters. Season 4 has barely had any good episodes so far. If you ever want a pretty okay "quirky" comedy with some good references or meta humor, watch the first two seasons and if you move on, don't expect it to stay as good(if you even find that good). Season 3 does have some pretty good standalone episodes, but overall it was a steady decline for the series.

I've also been watching Initial D, Urusei Yatsura, and Rose of Versailles.
I watched the first 3 seasons as they came out. Started to watch season 4 and I just stopped , for some reason I couldn't do it anymore .

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Saephon said:
Recently breezed through the first season of "House of Cards", a political drama starring Kevin Spacey. It's a direct-to-Netflix series, so all the episodes are available. I thoroughly enjoyed the writing, the cinematography, and the various power grabs at play in the story. At first it seems like there were a couple missteps in casting early on (particularly the female roles), but by mid-season all of the acting is spot-on and compelling. Couldn't put the damn show down.

Cool, I've been meaning to watch this. I've only heard good things. Thanks for the review.

Only downside is that it's very obviously exaggerated at certain points, to where even an extreme cynic like me doesn't completely suspend disbelief about the U.S. government. :ganishka: But if you like West Wing/The Wire, I highly recommend "Cards". I think it has some serious potential. Not to mention the first couple episodes are directed by David Fincher.
Not sure I quite get your meaning. It's not a realistic portrayal of government or of a government representative?

Top Bottom