What are you watching? (television thread)

Dar Klink said:
I've also been watching Initial D, Urusei Yatsura, and Rose of Versailles.

I miss watching all 3 series, it's been so long. What's your favorite season for Initial D and your preferred anime adaptation/ manga from Rumiko Takahashi?

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
IncantatioN said:
I miss watching all 3 series, it's been so long. What's your favorite season for Initial D and your preferred anime adaptation/ manga from Rumiko Takahashi?

It's my first time for both. Season 1 of Initial D and, besides very little Inuyasha on Adult Swim, my first Rumiko Takahashi anime. I'm enjoying both of them quite a bit.

Whoa, I hope you like Initial D! The first season was exciting, same with the second. The third and fourth are just about OK in comparison but the story is progressive every season. Rumiko has a certain style and humor, hit up Maison Ikkoku (under-rated) and Ranma Half (classic) next. I hold em in higher regard than Inu Yasha.

Top Of The Lake premiers on Sundance's Channel, good looking mini-series with a cool cast and overall look, preview below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pabAM7xIt3Q

Johnstantine said:
Been watching Season 4 of Archer. I swear they never have a bad season.
Hah! How could this pearl have slipped past me´all these years! I practically just marathoned the first season after seeing your post. The episodes are so short so you´re like "just one more, just one more..." I sure hope the rest holds the same standard! I love it when Sterling´s voice actor screams, reminds me of Charlie Day from IasiP and Horrible bosses :ganishka: Anyway thanks for the recommendation! I needed that.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Hanma_Baki said:
Hah! How could this pearl have slipped past me´all these years! I practically just marathoned the first season after seeing your post. The episodes are so short so you´re like "just one more, just one more..." I sure hope the rest holds the same standard! I love it when Sterling´s voice actor screams, reminds me of Charlie Day from IasiP and Horrible bosses :ganishka: Anyway thanks for the recommendation! I needed that.

It doesn't just hold, no. It gets better and better.

If you enjoy it, I recommend checking out the late Frisky Dingo (the studio tanked, so it never finished, but has some WONDERFUL lines), and Sealab 2021.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Saephon said:
Recently breezed through the first season of "House of Cards", a political drama starring Kevin Spacey.
I just finished watching it myself after about a week of going through them. It is kinda cool to have the whole series all at once. I don't think that's the wisest way to promote it though.

So, this series has a neat trick. It will very quickly fool you into believing it has something special up its sleeve. It doesn't, but I'll get to that. "House of Cards" is impeccably packaged. There's a box quote for you to start things off. The visuals are a feast. Cinematography shines, direction in most episodes feels appropriately weighty, and topping it all off, Spacey's performance goes a long way toward lending this show credibility. He all but reprises his excellent role as a Southern politician from "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil." It's essentially fan service, and it works.

Unfortunately, all these polished facets have only a hollow, empty experience to convey. And that's a shame after having assembled such a lovely party.

The writing is piss poor. I would even call it sophomoric. That's what ultimately sinks this ship. This is a political "thriller" where one of the major plot lines is a congressman being blackmailed because he was into drugs and prostitutes. Hope you brought your big-boy pants, because this is deep stuff! Later on, a reporter has sex with a congressman, and it backfires! WHAT?!!

I really did try my best to take the "intrigue" on display seriously, but the political and journalism worlds depicted in the show are like cartoons. You know how in Spider-Man, through Peter Parker you'll get a glimpse into life as a photojournalist, or through Clark Kent, a taste of what it's like to be a reporter? The press rooms in House of Cards are of the same caliber, only it's asking you to take it seriously.

To its credit, the show did a great job of whetting my appetite early on. As the credits rolled, the urge to bleed into the next episode was strong, but that spell didn't last the full season. Toward the end, you already know the magic on display is just a cheap trick.

I gave the show a chance, waiting until the end to see if it could surprise me before making a judgment. But nope. No surprises. Just a mediocre show packaged in a sleek veneer. Instead of wasting time on this, go watch the first season of The Wire.

3 episodes into the show - The Newsroom - and it's engaging, good stuff. With recently having enjoyed The (edit) Boss, this is another good political drama. Created by Aaron Sorkin, featuring guys like Jeff Daniels, Sam Waterston, Emily Mortimer in lead roles ... Jeff is a top news anchor and things go haywire when he's pushed to work with Emily as his new producer. She motivates him to go back to gritty news reporting that comes with the obvious corporate baggage of what's the right thing versus what keeps corporate content. Hoping it ends on a high note, grabbing the 4th episode now, cannot sleep as I work on the side.

So far, recommended.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I saw the first episode of The Newsroom, but just can't get into something done by Sorkin. The dialogue is so stilted and unrealistic. He generally has great characters though.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Walter said:
I saw the first episode of The Newsroom, but just can't get into something done by Sorkin. The dialogue is so stilted and unrealistic. He generally has great characters though.

I felt the same way. Never went back.

Interesting to know, I know he worked on The Social Network (over-rated or just about decent) recently and A Few Good Men (awesome).

In terms of TV shows about politics or involving mass media, which ones would you guys recommend?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
IncantatioN said:
In terms of TV shows about politics or involving mass media, which ones would you guys recommend?
The Wire, of course. :void:

But you should also watch The 1976 film "The Network."

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
IncantatioN said:
Interesting to know, I know he worked on The Social Network (over-rated or just about decent) recently and A Few Good Men (awesome).

The Wire. It's slow paced and the plot of each season isn't all too clear, but it's a damn good show.

West Wing isn't too bad.

Been watching UFC events from the beginning, Im up to the 7th I think, planning to watch up to date since I´ve only watched it sporadically... Pretty interesting stuff if you´re into MMA, to see how its been changing over 1-2 decades.

Also, watched the first 4 episodes of Vikings, very beautiful locations and all. Only flaws I can see this far is that it generally seems a bit one-dimensional and that the language issues can get a bit awkward at times if you´re sensitive, doesnt really bother me though.

Johnstantine said:
If you enjoy it, I recommend checking out the late Frisky Dingo (the studio tanked, so it never finished, but has some WONDERFUL lines), and Sealab 2021.

Just finished first season of Frisky Dingo, this is even worse since its dangerously time killing with these 10 minute-ish episodes.. The animation might be even less attractive than Archer but I gotta say the voice actors take the cake here, especially the guy who does Phil :ganishka: Oh and I totally thought
they were gonna stay best buddies in the end,
I kinda got a lil' sentimental there lol :ganishka: Also, I thought the Stan clones were supposed to be normal old grumpy suit dudes that they used the same face model for to intentionally make it look like cheap and lazy animation, I must´ve missed the part where/if they mentioned it earlier, it cracked me up all the same though.

Seriously man, you opened up my eyes to new sorta comedy here, this shit beats Family guy and South Park any day. Will be checking out that Sealab eventually too. Thanks again.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Hanma_Baki said:
Been watching UFC events from the beginning, Im up to the 7th I think, planning to watch up to date since I´ve only watched it sporadically... Pretty interesting stuff if you´re into MMA, to see how its been changing over 1-2 decades.

Also, watched the first 4 episodes of Vikings, very beautiful locations and all. Only flaws I can see this far is that it generally seems a bit one-dimensional and that the language issues can get a bit awkward at times if you´re sensitive, doesnt really bother me though.

Just finished first season of Frisky Dingo, this is even worse since its dangerously time killing with these 10 minute-ish episodes.. The animation might be even less attractive than Archer but I gotta say the voice actors take the cake here, especially the guy who does Phil :ganishka: Oh and I totally thought
they were gonna stay best buddies in the end,
I kinda got a lil' sentimental there lol :ganishka: Also, I thought the Stan clones were supposed to be normal old grumpy suit dudes that they used the same face model for to intentionally make it look like cheap and lazy animation, I must´ve missed the part where/if they mentioned it earlier, it cracked me up all the same though.

Seriously man, you opened up my eyes to new sorta comedy here, this shit beats Family guy and South Park any day. Will be checking out that Sealab eventually too. Thanks again.

Hey, no problem. Just wait until you get to see Wendell. He's the funniest goddamned character in the entire show. Period.

Once season two ends, I'd check out the X-Tacles show. It's only two eps because it didn't get picked up, but it has some great lines.

Thanks for the recco guys. I've heard of West Wing and think I watched the first 3/4 episodes of The Wire at some point. I'll hop on them once I'm done with this one. Short on time these past few weeks to do much.

Watched the premier of Hannibal last night. I don't normally watch TV but I'm a huge fan of Mikkelsen. Fishburn provides your run of the mill FBI agent. Hugh Dancy is borderline annoying as Graham, a pseudo psychic tormented by his own psychosis; and Mikkelsen is excellent as Lectre. He provides an alternate sophisticated sinister creepiness to the doctor. The first episode was good but I felt this whole 'why so serious' thing throughout the show, like it was being serious and violent for the sake of being serious and violent. I know the story's been done to death so many times before, but we'll see. The next episode preview kept me excited to come back.

Huge fan of the bloke too, frankencowx. I'm waiting on them to finish the entire season so I can marathon it or I'll get tempted to this weekend after reading what you said haha!

Watched Wrestlemania 29. Best matches - Shield vs Show-Sheamus-Orton and team Hell No vs Dolf-Big E. The Undertaker's match this year was a little less exciting but it's still good to see him back. I hope he gets to retire on a high note, there's no one in the business who's worth ending his 21-0 streak at Wrestlemania. Rock vs Cena was predictable because it'd make sense for Rock to lose so he can go on with his Hollywood engagements.

EDIT

Forgot to mention the new Mad Men premiere. Two episodes. I liked the theme a bit and some of the dialog or how the characters delivered but overall they were a disappointment. Slow paced, inconclusive, weird editing or scene transitions. Betty mentioning raping an underage was surprising, some of Don's dialog was the best (post-vacation), Peggy turning into a Don (in the way she turns down ideas), Betty changing her look to go back to her natural brunette look.

Roger's story for me stuck out - dealing with the death of his mother, seeing Mona's partner at the funeral made him blow. I liked everything that followed - Mona telling him to get closer to Margaret, him giving Margaret the precious inheritance and she brushes it off as not being of monetary value and asks for his help with investing in her husband's idea. In contrast when he requested his secretary to contact his shoeshine guy for his services, the family of the deceased shoeshine fellow sends him his shoeshine kit and getting that hit him hard compared to his mother's death.

BUMP.

New Mad Men episode was just about alright. I liked Joan's side of the story, she's so poignant. Don versus Peggy played out perfectly with Peggy sounding just like Don, sucks for Stan. I know there's a lot going on but I'd like to see more of Don pitching ads or using his chivalry in the business. Or more Roger.

I'll pick up the new Vikings episode soon. Anyone else keeping up with the show? Johnstantine, you current? The series is an episode shy of the season finale and they're renewed for another season.

Tonight I'll watch the last Game Of Thrones with good company, to get current on that.

EDIT

Guillermo del Toro and HBO are adapting the 'Monster' manga. VERY interested to see how that pans out.

Hannibal's turning out to be pretty good, give the first 3 episodes a shot guys. Mads is a cool Dr. Lecter and hey, Morpheus is in it haha plus a certain someone from The X Files pops up in episode 8.

Is anyone watching Defiance? Hearing good things about it, might check it out soon.

EDIT:

Almost Human looks pretty neat ... produced by JJ Abrams with Judge Dredd's in it : p - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuDkOVe7ay0

KazigluBey

Misanthrōpos
The Sherlock Holmes TV series starring Jeremy Brett as Holmes. Never get tired of his great acting and portrayal of the character. I've watched some of the episodes of the modern adaptation with Cumberbatch as Holmes and it's decent.

Been hooked on to Suits with late night marathons, in the middle of season 2. Here's a synopsis on IMDB - "On the run from a drug deal gone bad, Mike Ross, a brilliant college-dropout, finds himself a job working with Harvey Specter, one of New York City's best lawyers." Anyone else like the show?

Top Bottom