What are you watching? (television thread)

Marathoned a French tv show called Les Revenants (The Returned) yesterday, season 1 is 8 episodes and a second season has been ordered. Mogwai's soundtrack is perfect, setting an eerie atmosphere around the happenings of the small town on a mountain with a big dam. Watch the opening scene to get a sense of it - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y2SuJnXYo0

The show focuses on the 4/5 people who have 'returned', slow paced and interesting. There are a few questions unanswered but for the most part you get hints of what's happening or the cause of it, without knowing 100%. I couldn't compare it with the first season of Twin Peaks because that's a good season as a stand alone. This one will need a sequel to sort of end things if that makes sense? Episode 6 'Lucy' was not up to par.
I'd like to discuss it more with anyone else who's watched it.

IncantatioN said:
Marathoned a French tv show called Les Revenants (The Returned) yesterday, season 1 is 8 episodes and a second season has been ordered. Mogwai's soundtrack is perfect, setting an eerie atmosphere around the happenings of the small town on a mountain with a big dam. Watch the opening scene to get a sense of it - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y2SuJnXYo0

The show focuses on the 4/5 people who have 'returned', slow paced and interesting. There are a few questions unanswered but for the most part you get hints of what's happening or the cause of it, without knowing 100%. I couldn't compare it with the first season of Twin Peaks because that's a good season as a stand alone. This one will need a sequel to sort of end things if that makes sense? Episode 6 'Lucy' was not up to par.

It looks interesting. I'll have to check out the first episode or two.

Hanma_Baki said:
Not a big fan of Twin Peaks though

What?

IncantatioN said:
I've watched it, my sister recommended it to me. It's been a while since i saw it so my memory is a bit fuzzy. I liked it but i have some complaints.
I honestly expected them to explain some of the stuff that happened. I didn't like how they ended the season, at all. I bet they are going to continue with the same pace at the second season. I don't think i will stick around if they do, i'll probably read a spoiler summary when they finish it.

Joe Chip said:
I've watched it, my sister recommended it to me. It's been a while since i saw it so my memory is a bit fuzzy. I liked it but i have some complaints.
I honestly expected them to explain some of the stuff that happened. I didn't like how they ended the season, at all. I bet they are going to continue with the same pace at the second season. I don't think i will stick around if they do, i'll probably read a spoiler summary when they finish it.

True, the ending left a lot of questions unanswered, so it sort of needed that second season to seal the deal. I'm hoping there's just 2 seasons or 3 max unless there's more to it than we know. The history behind this sort of 'resurrection' would be good to know. Why just now? The priest and others have said it's happened before, are they talking about folk-lore surrounding the town or are they specifically referring to Jesus only. Expected some info on the church buried in water but we at least got to know about an old dam. I wasn't too sure about episode 6 where they show Lucy's psychic abilities before she died, was kinda weird. Was she already dead before she was stabbed? Not sure, she resurrected in the span of a few episodes ... I don't recall how many days might have passed.

Walter said:
Skeleton said:

Yeah I did notice the Twin Peaks hype, not only on this board but other places as well, got a sister who pretty much worships it too. I think I kinda watched it the wrong way, cause its supposed to be more of an aesthetically stimulating experience, rather than a story-oriented one, right? And I was constantly looking for plot advancing and thus felt like the show was just stalling. But despite not really liking it, I actually did finish it, I wanted to like it so bad cause eveyone else did. Sadly, when it felt like the show finally got a little spark, it ended. Never saw the movie(s?) though, should I?

I think what got to me most of all was that soundtrack, felt like I couldnt stand it already after the first couple of episodes...

Just finished season 4 of Boardwalk Empire.
I wish we would´ve gotten a bit more, the ending felt a little anti-climatic, I guess it´d be hard to top the previous season finale though. Best thing about this season is easily Nelson´s scenes, Im really liking his character development even if it might´ve been predictable since a while back, Shannon´s a great actor. This scene inparticular is beyond epic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgiJFsw3egY

Now If Im not miscalculating here, at least six of the main cast´s been killed off this season :carcus:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Hanma_Baki said:
I think I kinda watched it the wrong way, cause its supposed to be more of an aesthetically stimulating experience, rather than a story-oriented one, right? And I was constantly looking for plot advancing and thus felt like the show was just stalling.

Indeed, you shouldn't go into a David Lynch experience looking for things like plot or story. His work is primarily about style, presentation, and atmosphere—and in that realm, he's among the best in the business. In the case of this show, he also creates some very memorable characters.

What's fantastic about Twin Peaks is that normally that level of mastery is relegated to films. But this is a fucking murder mystery TV show. So he has fun playing with the standard format of that genre, and it results in some intentionally hilarious corniness. On top of that, the dialogue is entertaining throughout, and really how can you not love Special Agent Dale Cooper? And Apple Pie? And Douglas Firs?

I recommend Twin Peaks to everyone, without reservations for taste, because I think there's something in it for everyone as long as you know what you're getting into.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Walter said:
Indeed, you shouldn't go into a David Lynch experience looking for things like plot or story. His work is primarily about style, presentation, and atmosphere—and in that realm, he's among the best in the business. In the case of this show, he also creates some very memorable characters.

What's fantastic about Twin Peaks is that normally that level of mastery is relegated to films. But this is a fucking murder mystery TV show. So he has fun playing with the standard format of that genre, and it results in some intentionally hilarious corniness. On top of that, the dialogue is entertaining throughout, and really how can you not love Special Agent Dale Cooper? And Apple Pie? And Douglas Firs?

I recommend Twin Peaks to everyone, without reservations for taste, because I think there's something in it for everyone as long as you know what you're getting into.

Twin Peaks is actually the only only Lynch thing I like since there's some time to develop it.

His movies have never done anything for me, and I'm all about that particular style since it's such a departure from the norm.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Johnstantine said:
Twin Peaks is actually the only only Lynch thing I like since there's some time to develop it.

His movies have never done anything for me, and I'm all about that particular style since it's such a departure from the norm.
I can't claim to love anything he's done apart from Twin Peaks, but I still very much enjoyed Eraserhead and Elephant Man. And Mulholland Drive... well, I still don't quite get that one :ganishka:

Still, even if I don't always love his work, I do love that there's a guy out there like Lynch that pushes the boundaries of surrealism and atmosphere like nobody else.

Walter said:
I can't claim to love anything he's done apart from Twin Peaks, but I still very much enjoyed Eraserhead and Elephant Man. And Mulholland Drive... well, I still don't quite get that one :ganishka:

I couldn't make a damn bit of sense out of Eraserhead. To its credit though, it is the scariest movie I've ever seen and I love the sound design.
But I couldn't get my mind around the bleeding roasted chicken, some guy's bed turning into a water filled crater, or a lady in a radiator with cartoonishly puffy cheeks doing a happy dance while stepping on giant sperm cells. And what was the deal with all of the adult humans acting like some alien engineered uncanny valley imitations?

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Walter said:

Still, even if I don't always love his work, I do love that there's a guy out there like Lynch that pushes the boundaries of surrealism and atmosphere like nobody else.

Ugh, Eraserhead. I had to do a film study on it (against my will). I handed my report in and the professor said it was the best interpretation he'd read of it. He asked me how I felt about the movie and I told him I didn't care about it. The baby monster gave me nightmares for months.

Blue Velvet, Wild at Heart, and Mullholland Drive are really the only ones that are watchable for me. Lost Highway was shit, but man I loved the soundtrack.

Dune, sadly, isn't considered a Lynch film anymore since he distanced himself from it =/

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
I've liked all of Lynch's films that I've watched so far. If you haven't checked it out yet, you should try The Straight Story, the weirdest thing he's done. :troll:

Up to episode 9 of Lucky Louie and it's pretty funny. Covers a lot in just 25/30 mins per episode. A lot of win moments and dialog like "Our daughter's an asshole" or Jerry with his long explanations on how the doors are bad and/ being naked most of the time. Wasn't sure if this was a prequel to Louie, so I thought I'd check it out before marathoning Louie.

Watched the first episode of Broadchurch (BBC), not bad, curious to see how things unfold. There's a bit of critical buzz around this series. IMDB says "The murder of a young boy in a small coastal town brings a media frenzy, which threatens to tear the community apart."

Next up in queue is Bron/Broen.

Lucky Louie´s fucking awesome! :guts: Most memorable scene for me is how they basically convert the whole group therapy session :ganishka: I actually prefer this one to the other series, the other one just got a bit too awkward, not that its bad though, its Louie after all. I really recommend his stand up shows in case you havent seen them already.

Finished the first season of Broadchurch, it ends on a high.
The last 2 episodes whip the story good and puts things in place. Surprised to learn of a second season.
Recommended watch this. What I noticed was that both recent watches - Les Revenants, Broadchurch - they're much better because of the dark or atmospheric soundtrack, Olafur Ornalds does good with this series.

Grabbing Bron/ Broen and Top Of The Lake.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Johnstantine said:
I'm about 4 episodes into the fourth season of Clone Wars. Such a good show.

As in Star Wars? =)

I've heard that elsewhere before, but the movie and everything to do with the prequel material has such a stink on it I've never watched an episode.

I liked their first season. I think I got side-tracked with something else and it went off my radar. 4 seasons is a lot of catching up to! But if it's consistently good, I'll check it out.

4 episodes in Bron/ Broen and it's pretty gripping if you like police-thrillers. In the opening scene you see lights go out on a section of a bridge that connects Denmark and Sweden and 45 seconds later they're back on but there's a body of a female politician with a line painted under her. They find out that the drawn line is accurate by the millimeter for the border of both countries and the body is cut in half. There's more to it than meets the eye and two cops from either country have to work jointly on the case.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Griffith said:
As in Star Wars? =)

I've heard that elsewhere before, but the movie and everything to do with the prequel material has such a stink on it I've never watched an episode.

Lifelong Star Wars fan here. After being raped by the prequels, this series is a breath of fresh air. I was apprehensive about watching it for a long time (I stopped following SW after RotS), but I finally gave in and I couldn't be more in love with the franchise once again. It takes place between eps 2 and 3, and goes into detail about the rise of the separatists and even elaborates on a shitload of characters. You also actually like if not love Anakin, which was impossible to do in the movies.

Are there some shitty eps, though? God yes. So, so bad. But they're few and far between.

Also, the Clone Wars movie they put out in theaters...never should have happened. Lucas wanted it to be released like that to hype people up for the series. Just add it up to his long list of awful decisions (Christensen).

First season of Bron/ Broen was so good that I grabbed the second one and marathon'd all of it yesterday. No twists for the sake of shock value, everything's connected and the acting's top tier. Episodes 7 and 8 in S2 have weak moments but the last two make up for it. Highly recommended.

Next up - Top Of The Lake.

I'm watching the second season of Real Humans, a show that I really like. I thoroughly recommend it to anybody that has the chance to watch it (it apparently has been sold to about 50 countries)

The summary of the show, from Wikipedia, is:

"Real Humans (Swedish title: Äkta människor) is a 2012 Swedish science fiction/drama series set in an alternate version of modern day Sweden where humanoid robot workers and servants are widespread. The series follows the resulting emotional effects on two families as well as the trials of a group of robots who have attained free will and want their freedom from human ownership."

Top Bottom