What are you watching? (television thread)

Ack, I should have read the other posts more closely, didn't realize people mention him already, thanks! Yes, that's another scene that creeped me out; although Inland Empire wasn't my favorite of his, that one part towards the end with the messed up face of the phantom scared the crap out of me.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Walter said:
Favorite episode?

Darmok. I can't tell you how many times I've quoted that one over the years. A close second (maybe even a tie) would be The Inner Light. Yesterday's Enterprise was pretty great, too.

I watched TNG a lot when I was younger, and caught the last two seasons when they were airing, but my tastes have changed over the years. If you'd asked me in 1992 what my favorite episode was, I probably would've said The Best of Both Worlds (not to say that episode isn't fantastic, which it is).

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
A close second (maybe even a tie) would be The Inner Light.

That's mine. Gets me everytime... It almost exists independent of Star Trek, as just a fantastic science-fiction story. Superbly acted by Stewart (It's also his favorite episode, by the way).

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Walter said:
That's mine. Gets me everytime... It almost exists independent of Star Trek, as just a fantastic science-fiction story. Superbly acted by Stewart (It's also his favorite episode, by the way).

The ending is so mindboggling, and it stays with you for days. It's an incredible episode. I'm not surprised it's Stewart's favorite. I love how the flute appears throughout the rest of the series, too.

Oburi

All praise Grail
The new f/x series Fargo. Watched the first episode last night and thought it was pretty good. At first I wasn't that into it because, as big fan of the original Coen brothers movie, it seemed like it was trying too hard to capture that same quirkyness and charm the movie had. However by the end, it won me over and now I really want to see what happens next. Its got a decent cast for network mini series too. Billy Bob Thorton, Bilbo Baggins, Tom Hanks' son and Glenn from Its Always Sunny In Philidelphia.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Oburi said:
The new f/x series Fargo. Watched the first episode last night and thought it was pretty good. At first I wasn't that into it because, as big fan of the original Coen brothers movie, it seemed like it was trying too hard to capture that same quirkyness and charm the movie had. However by the end, it won me over and now I really want to see what happens next. Its got a decent cast for network mini series too. Billy Bob Thorton, Bilbo Baggins, Tom Hanks' son and Glenn from Its Always Sunny In Philidelphia.

I've recorded the first few episodes, but I'm hesitant about watching it for the same reason. I love the movie, and I don't want the series to tarnish it, or change the way I feel about it, you know? I'll probably eventually watch it, unless my DVR gets too full; then it'll be the first thing to go.

Oburi said:

I'm watching it too and really like it. Thorton's character's
Here Be Dragons "speech" he gives to that cop at the end of the first(?) episode
was the most bad ass thing I've heard in a long time.

I got the itch recently and have been rewatching Star Trek TNG. I just finished the Best of Both Worlds part 1 & 2 last night.

The season premier or Louie was hilarious, and the final season of Mad Men has not disappointed me yet.
As far as anime goes JoJo's Bizarre Adventure and Dragonball Kai have been the only two I've bothered paying attention to at the moment. Stardust Crusaders has been nothing short of fabulous. I wish the Berserk adaptations were as faithful and true to the spirit of manga as the JJBA anime adaptation. Not to mention the JJBA anime has good examples of cell-shaded 3d animation.

Gummyskull said:
The season premier or Louie was hilarious, and the final season of Mad Men has not disappointed me yet.
As far as anime goes JoJo's Bizarre Adventure and Dragonball Kai have been the only two I've bothered paying attention to at the moment. Stardust Crusaders has been nothing short of fabulous. I wish the Berserk adaptations were as faithful and true to the spirit of manga as the JJBA anime adaptation. Not to mention the JJBA anime has good examples of cell-shaded 3d animation.

Stardust so far is a lot of fun, I like the recent adaptations for Jojo. I'm an episode behind Mad Men and Game Of Thrones, but MM has gone up a notch this season because the plot's kicking in with Don and the agency butting heads again with those internal conflicts with him. New Louie is up on my watch list, soon soon!

Is anyone else watching Hannibal?

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
My fiancee and I are all caught up on The Walking Dead episodes on Netflix, so we've started watching an old favorite: The X-Files.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Gummyskull said:
I got the itch recently and have been rewatching Star Trek TNG. I just finished the Best of Both Worlds part 1 & 2 last night.

Been loving Stardust Crusaders, never thought JoJo would get another adaption, but here it is. First and second season were obviously on a small budget but they made good use of it. Stardust seems to have a better budget and it hasn't had too many wonky or bad looking moments so far. It really would be nice to see Berserk done with that much care/attention to detail even if it didn't have a great budget.

For fans of Twin Peaks, the Blu Ray set is out for pre-order - http://popwatch.ew.com/2014/05/15/twin-peaks-blu-ray-box-set/

tumblr_n5mrjaIkGh1tbdlvvo1_1280.jpg

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
IncantatioN said:
For fans of Twin Peaks, the Blu Ray set is out for pre-order - http://popwatch.ew.com/2014/05/15/twin-peaks-blu-ray-box-set/

tumblr_n5mrjaIkGh1tbdlvvo1_1280.jpg

HOLY SHIIEEEET. Deleted scenes of FWWM directed and edited by Lynch into a feature length? All the picture restored/rescanned? That's something I'm getting 100$ for sure.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Dar Klink said:
HOLY SHIIEEEET. Deleted scenes of FWWM directed and edited by Lynch into a feature length? All the picture restored/rescanned? That's something I'm getting 100$ for sure.

:isidro: My hair might turn as white as Laura's dad's. And I don't even own a Blu Ray player.

Deci

Watched the pilot episode of HBO's new series, The Leftovers. Need to see more to form a more solid opinion but I'm not overly impressed. When I heard it's being made by a co-creator of LOST (Lindelof... UGH) and he said, and I'm paraphrasing, "I really hope the audience will care less about the mystery and more about the characters." I just thought to myself, "This idiot learned nothing!"

the-leftovers-tease-5-stages-of-grief-in-new-poster-and-promo1.jpg

A few things I like about it though, the main character guy is interesting enough to care about, I really don't like the GR group (which I imagine is the intention), and I'm all about learning more about Wayne... is he supposed to be a prophet or something? Someone who maybe disappeared but returned?

I'm already convinced the "mystery" is supposed to be The Rapture, and also it will never be explained. Gary Busey and Anthony Bourdain were picked? Got a little chuckle from me, along with The Pope. I hope it's something different and they do explain it, but I'm all but certain otherwise.

Also finishing True Blood, ugh. It's the last god damn season and I suffered all the others... so maybe Sookie will fuckin' die and Bill and Eric will dance on her grave. We can hope!

tumblr_m9j3q9jdkZ1r11y1eo1_500.jpg

Those two have a beautiful bromance when they want to.

Speaking of pilots, I recommend you guys hit up Bosch's pilot, it's a TV series by Amazon. Based on a Connelly's book (I also enjoyed Lincoln Lawyer which he wrote), it's about an LAPD detective who gets himself wrapped in a lawsuit over a shooting and stumbles on a murder case, only to try and take care of handling both situations. The episode was well balanced - pacing, good writing, acting and directing. A full season has been ordered.

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
We've been spending a lot of time binge watching HBO's Oz over the last month or so. We just started the season 6 (the final) Sunday. I never knew it was HBO's first hour long series, but after finding that out it makes sense of some of the pacing and cohesion choices.

Similar to GoT there is a sizable cast that changes throughout the series, but unlike GoT there are flashbacks nearly every episode to remind viewers who these characters are, even ones that have been around since season 1.

The early seasons scream 90's cinematography and effects which doesn't hold up particularly well in this day and age. It was hard getting around some of the flashback filters just because of how hard they are on the eyes.

All in all I think it's an alright show, nothing great. A lot of the scenarios are really contrived and the murders are pretty over the top at times. Some of the story lines in the last couple seasons get pretty weird too.

Watched the first episode of Fargo last night. The direction of the story is a bit different than the movie and it's got a quirky dark comedy side to it. Gonna go ahead and watch all of it.

I also hit up Broad City on Comedy Central, good fun. 3 episodes in.

I picked up the first season for The Americans, The Good Wife and It's Always Sunny In Philadephia.

Speaking of popular shoes, I sat through the first season of Dr Who and just couldn't get into it. It was way too cheesy, sappy and humorless bordering idiotic. Any fans of the show on here?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
IncantatioN said:
Speaking of popular shoes, I sat through the first season of Dr Who and just couldn't get into it. It was way too cheesy, sappy and humorless bordering idiotic. Any fans of the show on here?

I wouldn't call myself a fan, but I've seen all the recent stuff through my wife's viewing of it. The first season is the worst by far. It's pretty much garbage until David Tennant comes on board, and even then the writers take their time working up any plots that aren't laughably bad. Eventually it strikes a good balance between funny and interesting. I still don't think it ever rises to great levels though...

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
I'm a big huge ridiculous Doctor Who fan, though more of Doctors One thru Eight than Nine and up. I've enjoyed a fair few episodes of the new stuff but yes, it does stumble and lose itself in faffing around quite a lot. I think they've just had a hard time finding the sweet spot of being a kid's show that is also awesome, instead of being really dumb or really over the top 'cool' and 'epic'. A really lot of them suffer really badly from just being way way way over-epic in a way that might possibly work if I was actually still a kid but as a grownup I am just like OMG Doctor no stop, plot, stop, companions, stop, sheesh. It's a typical problem of the show that they keep bringing in actors I'm really excited to see but then everything is so epic serious that it's silly and I can't really enjoy it. And Ten's tantrums as he's leaving the show were just embarrassing, and none of the fans I know can figure out why they decided to write him that way. I have really enjoyed a lot of the recurring side characters they've thrown in in the last season or two, though the episodes themselves haven't been all that strong IMO.

But enough complaining! For Nine, I enjoyed The Empty Child and The Doctor Dances. For Ten, I liked The Girl in the Fireplace, Blink, and Midnight. Eleven gets Vincent and the Doctor, Asylum of the Daleks, and Hide.

To be honest, most of my Doctor Who fandom these days is tied up in the audio dramas, which are also hit and miss, but there's so many of them that there are absolutely tons of great ones.

Thanks for the feedback about the series, I was second guessing myself for a bit. I'll check out more Dr Who to give it another shot, grab season 2 when I'm done with my current watch-list.

0bb572f8cab062ac_MV5BMTcwNjQ3ODE3MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODIyMjY5MDE_._V1_SX640_SY720_-1.jpg.xxxlarge.jpg

Recently wrapped season 1 of Fargo, it's well written, dark quirky humor and decent pacing with a good end to the season. Had no idea Saul from Breaking Bad was in it! Billy Bob Thornton plays an amazing creepy criminal, Freeman (The Hobbit) does a good job as a push-over insurance salesman.

broadcity_105_pussy_weed_640x360.jpg

Also wrapped season 1 of Broad City on Comedy Central. Felt short cos I enjoyed most of it. About two best friends roughing it out in NYC, they love their weed, sex and having a good time.

Top Bottom