What are you watching? (television thread)

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
This is probably the best new cartoon i've seen in years. If you like Futurama and Adventure Time, you'll surely dig this:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2861424/reference

rick-and-morty-key-art-1600x953.jpg

http://video.adultswim.com/rick-and-morty

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
NightCrawler said:
This is probably the best new cartoon i've seen in years. If you like Futurama and Adventure Time, you'll surely dig this:

Yeah it's pretty fun. Watched the first season with Gobs a while back, haven't really checked it since but it's really its own brand of wacky.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Lithrael said:
Oh my holy crap they made a SHOW out of Doc and Mharti? BRB laughing forever

Yeah, one has to wonder who the hell thought that would make a good show. Still, it worked!

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
But do they still have the same... freedom?

http://www.channel101.com/segment/1078

VNSFW

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
Aaaha! Yeah Justin Roiland has made like half a million cartoon pitches with varying degrees of seriousness. He describes the creation of these characters thusly:

"At the time (October 2006) I had nothing to lose and my original intention was to call this "back to the future: the new official universal studios cartoon featuring the new Doc Brown and Marty McFly" and then I'd just sit back and wait for a letter from their lawyers to arrive. That's actually why it's so filthy."

Every Thrusday i watch on a french private channel the new tv soap from US who from HBO,Netflix...Now it's Banshee i saw the first season and the beginning of the second pretty dark, violent and sexy...the sherif is immortal lol :troll:

The Knick (first season directed by Soderbergh) is promising and is building a realistic and fascinating scientific period. Set in the early 1900, within Knickerbocker Hospital, a groundbreaking surgeon (Clive Owen) and the whole staff, trying to push the bounds of medicine in a time of high mortality rates and zero antibiotics.

Started to watch The Americans last weekend, got hooked and finished the first 2 seasons. It's a spy-drama, takes place in the 80's, main characters are KGB agents and it gets complicated as the things they're required to do get all the more dangerous. It felt like a solid 7/10 kinda show. Check out the pilot if you have the time.

Is it worth watching Orange Is The New Black?

Gonna start The Knick and Manhattan soon.

IncantatioN said:
Started to watch The Americans last weekend, got hooked and finished the first 2 seasons. It's a spy-drama, takes place in the 80's, main characters are KGB agents and it gets complicated as the things they're required to do get all the more dangerous. It felt like a solid 7/10 kinda show. Check out the pilot if you have the time.

I watched the first season a while ago and I enjoyed it quite a bit. I plan on watching the second season soon. I liked Keri Russell's performance in what I saw, as well as Matthew Rhys', but I have to say that I thought his character was a bit creepy.

IncantatioN said:
Is it worth watching Orange Is The New Black?

I'd say it's worth it. I binge-watched both seasons over the span of about two weeks and it kept me wondering how things would play out. I'm looking forward to season 3 when that starts up. There's a lot of good character development and interesting stories that take place.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
NightCrawler said:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2861424/reference

http://video.adultswim.com/rick-and-morty

Loved it.

Ahmetal

God hand help us
I am loving Rick and Morty after reading about it here. It's awesome.

I am also watching The Strain on FX http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2654620/
I recommend for all to watch.

Also watching Extant on CBS despite Halle Berry. It's an interesting enough scifi so far, though I've only viewed an episode.

Ahmetal

God hand help us
Loving the new Trailer Park Boys season

Also need to catch up on The League

Recently got hooked on Vampire Diaries. And might need to watch True Blood

Griffith

Finished Thew New Batman Adventures and it was... aight. When it was good it was really good (basically most of the Paul Dini episodes), but for the most part it was mediocre, and had a lot of throwaway or downright bad episodes. I would say it was about 50/50. But let's see with the very scientific thumbs up/down method applied to the season, with one sentence review per ep.

thumbdown.gif
"Holiday Knights" - Three lame Christmas vignettes aren't the way to start.
thumbup.gif
"Sins of the Father" - Nice Tim Drake introduction, this should have been the first episode.
thumbup.gif
"Cold Comfort" - Not bad until Mr. Freeze becomes head with robot spider legs.
thumbup.gif
"Double Talk" - First standout episode of the season, but TAS was littered with these.
thumbup.gif
"You Scratch My Back" - I like the frosty Batman/Nightwing exchanges, but Catwoman looks like roadkill.
thumbup.gif
"Never Fear" - Batman no longer fears anything, including killing; 'nuff said.
thumbup.gif
"Joker's Millions" - Second standout episode, great concept, too bad the fake Joker looks better than the real thing now.
thumbdown.gif
"Growing Pains" - I like Clayface but Robin and girlfriend are boring and it makes no sense.
thumbdown.gif
"Love Is A Croc" - Killer Croc and Baby Doll are fucking, Batman doesn't want to think about it and neither do I.
thumbdown.gif
"Torch Song" - Lame take on Firefly.
thumbdown.gif
"The Ultimate Thrill" - Batman causes a woman to orgasm on a rocket and it's still not good.
thumbup.gif
"Over The Edge" - One of the best high concept episodes of the season and the series.
thumbdown.gif
"Mean Seasons" - Model turns super-villain; doesn't anyone just get depressed in Gotham?
thumbdown.gif
"Critters" - Stupid.
thumbdown.gif
"Cult of the Cat" - Old Catwoman could have carried a mediocre episode like this, but no more.
thumbdown.gif
"Animal Act" - Not too bad, but not good.
thumbup.gif
"Old Wounds" - Predictably good, I liked Robin's resentment, but I expected more from their falling out (like Bats fucking Batgirl).
thumbdown.gif
"The Demon Within" - Magic, meh.
thumbup.gif
"Legends of the Dark Knight" - Another series standout, fantastic fun and I recognized Michael McKean as 50's Joker!
thumbdown.gif
"Girls' Night Out" - Superman crossover with Lori Petty instead of Batman or Superman, no thanks.
thumbup.gif
"Mad Love" - Harley, Joker, and Batman face off in arguably this season's best and darkest episode.
thumbup.gif
"Chemistry" - This marriage plot is wasted on an average TAS caper, but it's decent (Nightwing's bitter snark steals it).
thumbdown.gif
"Beware the Creeper" - Indeed.
thumbup.gif
"Judgment Day" - Cheesy and predictable, but in all the right ways.

So, there you go, 12 to 12, and I swear I didn't count until the end. One caveat though, I'm being hard on some and forgiving of others, it's really more like a third are good, a third are bad, and the other third are just ok; nothing special, but not embarrassing either. Now on to Batman Beyond...

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Watched Gotham. It sucked. The liberties they're taking with characters is so awful. Not to mention the fact that they mentioned/name dropped about five or six villains within the first 30 minutes. Awful, AWFUL.

So, Griff, if you want a Batman to hate...watch Gotham.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Just finished Peep Show (final season airs next year). It might be the finest comedy series, ever. Better than the first run of Arrested Development, Curb/Seinfeld and the British The Office. Also up there with those, if you're into surrealism in your comedy, the first two seasons of The Mighty Boosh and the criminally underrated, under-appreciated Garth Marenghi's Darkplace - seriously, go watch it now, it's only 6 episodes, you'll thank me later.

Anyway, Peep Show, absolutely masterful. Imagine if Curb Your Enthusiasm was about two, young British guys instead of an old, Jewish writer and then multiply the awkwardness and hilarity by 100 and you have Peep Show.

Griffith

Johnstantine said:
Watched Gotham. It sucked. The liberties they're taking with characters is so awful. Not to mention the fact that they mentioned/name dropped about five or six villains within the first 30 minutes. Awful, AWFUL.

So, Griff, if you want a Batman to hate...watch Gotham.

Yeah, I didn't hate it as much as you because I had low to no expectations, but it got caught in no-man's land trying to be a normal cop show and a Batman show, so it couldn't really credibly please on either front. As a cop show it's weird and overly theatrical (Bullock's acting is so over the top!), and as a Batman show it... sucks, as you said. Ivy Pepper, everybody!

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Griffith said:
Yeah, I didn't hate it as much as you because I had low to no expectations, but it got caught in no-man's land trying to be a normal cop show and a Batman show, so it couldn't really credibly please on either front. As a cop show it's weird and overly theatrical (Bullock's acting is so over the top!), and as a Batman show it... sucks, as you said. Ivy Pepper, everybody!

One thing I actually enjoyed about it was the kid who played Bruce. I thought he did a great job and nailed Bruce as a person.

So we've got that to look forward to.

Griffith

Johnstantine said:
One thing I actually enjoyed about it was the kid who played Bruce. I thought he did a great job and nailed Bruce as a person.

So we've got that to look forward to.

Yeah, he was supposed to be the best thing about it even before it aired. How about Alfred though, Huh? I was wondering why Penguin from the future was coming to pick up Bruce Wayne from the crime scene, and then, "Oh." I mean, it kind of makes sense that he'd actually be an asshole considering how Bruce turns out. =)

BTW, my favorite scene in Batman Beyond so far, by far:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbNa9XPNTa0

:ganishka: :ubik:

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Griffith said:
Yeah, he was supposed to be the best thing about it even before it aired. How about Alfred though, Huh? I was wondering why Penguin from the future was coming to pick up Bruce Wayne from the crime scene, and then, "Oh." I mean, it kind of makes sense that he'd actually be an asshole considering how Bruce turns out. =)

BTW, my favorite scene in Batman Beyond so far, by far:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbNa9XPNTa0

:ganishka: :ubik:

Yeah, the Alfred they're using is from the Earth-2 series. He's got a cockney accent in that. They used the same version in Beware the Batman. I don't particularly care for that version, but it's different so whatevs.

That scene was awesome. I loved it. I won't post anything further into the series, but there are even better moments like that.

OH, when you do get to the Return of the Joker movie, watch it uncensored.

Griffith

Johnstantine said:
Yeah, the Alfred they're using is from the Earth-2 series. He's got a cockney accent in that. They used the same version in Beware the Batman. I don't particularly care for that version, but it's different so whatevs.

It's completely gross for his character on the show.

Johnstantine said:
That scene was awesome. I loved it. I won't post anything further into the series, but there are even better moments like that.

OH, when you do get to the Return of the Joker movie, watch it uncensored.

Looking forward to it, and thanks for the heads up. Had no ifea thete was an "uncensored" version.

Top Bottom