What are you watching? (television thread)

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Walter said:
I started watching The Leftovers on HBO. First episode seemed promising, and I've heard it gets better as it goes. But then I noticed his name as the creator and writer. And now I can't watch it.

It's absolutely fantastic, if you can power through the dire and insanely depressing half of the first season (the cult stuff can get tiresome) you're in for one of the strongest seasons of tv ever. The second season is almost completely detached from the original story (i believe they wrap up the book's plot in the first season), features some of the best acting i've seen on tv, and one of the best episodes (International Assassin) ever.
They're going to wrap up the show this year, with only 3 seasons. If they maintain the quality, the show will go down as an overlooked classic.

I stopped watching Lost 3 episodes before the finale, had nothing but bad things to say about Lindelof, but can safely say he has redeemed himself with The Leftovers.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
NightCrawler said:
I stopped watching Lost 3 episodes before the finale, had nothing but bad things to say about Lindelof, but can safely say he has redeemed himself with The Leftovers.

Wait a sec... first Prometheus, now The Leftovers... Nighty, you a closet Lindelof fan, bro!? :magni: :carcus:

True story: I was going to give him credit for the fun and simple elegance of the time gimmick in Star Trek 2009 and cite it as a case of effective cleverness on his part by not promising the world and underdelivering as usual, but I looked it up and he didn't actually write that one... he co-wrote INTO DARKNESS! It's like something one would make up to smear him further but it's actually the truth!

On that note, even if you like Prometheus overall or see it as a net good in the climate of today's film world (arguable it isn't just another reMoot [double parenthetical! remoot is a term I just made up for a remake/reboot which perfectly expresses the overall uselessness of the endeavor]), don't you have to kind of hate Lindelof for reportedly vetoing all the sensible Alien lore the other writer was, naturally, going with and arbitrarily replacing it with generic equivalents instead "just cuz" (my favorite has to be, "now the facehugger is REAL BIG, and the Alien is kinda small and pointy... whoooooaa it's like evolution maaaaan")? I don't think the movie would have been any worse off, it's all about the visuals and David anyway, for the Alien connection actually connecting, making sense and providing a basis for retroactive continuity (oh yeah, it wasn't even the same planet :mozgus:).

Also, on more positve note, new avatar source?: https://www.instagram.com/p/BP6c7hNF2MA/

NightCrawler

I admit i defended Prometheus more than it deserved (i doubt i included Lindelof in my appreciation), and after checking out his imdb, i don't believe i ever watched anything of his besides Lost, and i don't have any desire to do so.

But seriously, if you're looking for great tv, i don't think i've seen anything since True Detective s1 as good as The Leftovers. But i'll be the first to criticize Lindelof if he shits the bed in the final season.

NightCrawler said:
and one of the best episodes (International Assassin) ever.

Kinda reminded me a bit too much of The Sopranos'
comatose dream episodes from season 6
but yeah it's pretty great, especially the first half.

I don't think there's any chance season 3 will be nearly as good as season 2. The show's already started to
flirt a bit too much with the possibility that what happened has a scientific or magical explanation just waiting to be revealed, which kinda ruins it for me. I wanted it to remain a complete mystery, and they make it clear enough that it's just not gonna happen.
I have little faith in it, especially considering the "talent" involved.

As for recent good shows, Cinemax's Quarry was a nice surprise. A violent noirish drama with great acting, and very few bad lines of dialogue. Marlo from The Wire is in this!

NightCrawler

I can see the similarities, but unlike that Sopranos ep (one of my least favorites of that show), this one was brilliantly executed, and the only ep on The Leftovers that seemed the most similar to Lost, at its most ingenious and thrilling.

I don't believe they are going to reveal anything, that's totally not the point of the show, it's not a mystery box type show like Lost.
The seasons feel self-contained plotwise, and stand on their own. So even if the last season is not as satisfying, i won't be terribly disappointed. I can always re-watch s2 for a masterclass in drama/acting.

NightCrawler said:
I don't believe they are going to reveal anything, that's totally not the point of the show, it's not a mystery box type show like Lost.
The seasons feel self-contained plotwise, and stand on their own. So even if the last season is not as satisfying, i won't be terribly disappointed. I can always re-watch s2 for a masterclass in drama/acting.

It's not supposed to be the point of the show, but I think it's undeniable they've started to hint that we'll find out more about it in the next season, what with the
dad on the TV with the shaman magic going on and the crazy hobo on top of the thing talking about New Zealand or something
. But I agree, season 2 works fine on its own, and these things I mentioned, while unexplored, work in the show's favor by adding some lynchian vibe to it, so whatever.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I skipped season 1 and read up on it online. Seems like I made the right choice, given how the second season has basically scuttled many of the plot points of the first season (good riddance). I'm now at Ep 7 of Season 2.

There are many things to admire about the show, nearly everything they started fresh with in Season 2 is great. I love
the setup of Jarden and its position in the "end of the world" scenario. John is a great character, fantastically portrayed (really, his whole family). But you know what holds the whole thing back for me? The stink of Lindelof. Some of these character conflicts, feel like B-Roll from Lost. Matt Jamison's entire character (combine him with his wife and you have John Locke, only more lame), the fucking National Geographic (may as well be a Dharma hatch), Kevin seeing people who aren't there, pseudoscience to explain magic... guys, this reeks of LOST. And these are high hurdles to cross for someone who somehow manage to survive watching LOST. It's like everything they're trying to do with Season 2 is frantically paddling against the undertow of Lindelof's nonsense, dragging it kicking and screaming into the abyss.

Obviously I'll finish it out, but I'm very wary of the overall direction this series is going to take.

Started watching the Path. Got a few episodes in and I'm losing interest. This is the same problem I have with the leftovers, besides who made it. I can never get that time back from Lost. I feel like this is going nowhere and if it does, who cares? By the time I get there, the whole thing will be so drug out that my suspension of disbelief is now focused on the formula of the show. Cliffhanger, unanswered questions, followed by two more questions, repeat. I may just not be cut out for tv anymore. I have my favorites, but if a new drama feels bogged down by formula over the story it's telling, I'm out. Most times where it's heading is not where it ends up.

residentgrigo

Excitement and Enjoyment!
On the discussion above: I loved Lost from start to finish and The Leftovers, especially S02, is prefect television. S01 directly adapted the book and it´s writer wrote for S02 too. He is the MVP there.
Lindelof´s revisions to Promethues were unfortunate, especially due to him bailing, but the overall film still came out as an enjoyable 2 hours. The best part of the Alien franchise since the AvP 2 game in 2001, or Alien 2 regarding the films. Him and the equally internet infamous David Goyer get my full blessing, warts and all.

I came though for DC in the film thread and will now do the same for Marvel. The universally torn apart Ironfist managed to keep my undivided attention for 11 eps. till needed to sleep. DD is still the king, frankly the best comic adaptation of all time, but this direct spin-off is now the 2nd best MCU show due to lack of bloat. My favorite new show of the year is also Legion by Fox. The current ep. even had a silent black and white segment based on Eraserhead and this is the first time that i experienced tv horror as being unnerving. Even Takashi Miike´s Masters of Horror ep. didn´t managed that.
Arrow S05 lastly had a shocking return to form, to switch sides, after an average and then truly bad season. It proves that that you CAN polish a turd. Even with the B-list writers and a reduced budget.
(The rest of their current comic seasons, outside of Riverdale, are sadly nothing special.)

Johnstantine said:
Not sure if anyone else has been watching it, but season 5 of Samurai Jack has been absolutely wonderful.

I have been. I never really got into the original when I was younger but I gave this one a go. I actually really enjoy it. It keeps getting better for me too.

Guess I may as well list what I'm watching right now ~

TV:
Daily Show
Brooklyn Nine Nine
Full Frontal
Fargo
The Expanse
Real Time
Vice
Chelsea
Last Week Tonight
Twin Peaks
A Very Secret Service
Archer
Samurai Jack

Anime:
Grimoire of Zero
The Royal Tutor
World End
Sakura Quest
Love Tyrant
Tsukigakirei
Berserk (sigh)
Re:Creators
Kado: The Right Answer
Attack on Titan
Granblue Fantasy
Alice & Zoroku
Attack on Titan

Figured if I had a Crunchyroll account i may as well make it useful. Last couple seasons I've checked out anything rated 4 1/2 stars or higher and turns out I enjoy them all to some extent or another. Kinda rekindled my interest in anime that was somewhat lost like 10 years ago. Probably wouldn't watch most of these if they weren't week to week though.

NightCrawler

Saul, Silicon Valley and Fargo came back, but The Leftovers last season is trumping all in both drama and comedy. Hard to believe how one of the few shows/movies to deal with grief well (most media do it so badly), has also become one of the funniest, just the intro to the latest ep, had me cackling like a mad man.

Griffith

How's Saul? I still haven't started season 3 despite the addition of Gus because I fear he'll just fall prey to the go-nowhere, do-nothing style of the show. That changing?

Anyway, I binged on Rick and Morty this week and it was as fun as promised, particularly the most recent episode. I just wish there was more, there's only like 20-some episodes and it's been on since 2013! Hire more staff and mine the concept for all the ideas you can while the iron is hot, guys. Quality and quantity is an equation that also includes time, which will run out.

Griffith

Joe Chip said:
*Cough* *cough* you chose the wrong forum to write this :troll:

*ahem* The irony didn't escape me and I almost added a disclaimer as such, but it's apples to oranges and not like Berserk is lacking for material (it's got 100s of "episodes," after all =). My point is I don't need something like Rick and Morty painstakingly crafted by a small group of people over years, that only stifles it.

Watched the first
NightCrawler said:
Saul, Silicon Valley and Fargo came back, but The Leftovers last season is trumping all in both drama and comedy. Hard to believe how one of the few shows/movies to deal with grief well (most media do it so badly), has also become one of the funniest, just the intro to the latest ep, had me cackling like a mad man.

Been meaning to check out The Leftovers. Will have to now that you recommend it.

First episode of Silicon Valley's new season was decent with it's usual for every victory, there's a downer kinda theme. Didn't know Fargo started!

Last night I watched the first 3 of The Handmaiden's Tale. Thought it was decent with it's slow moving plot. What I like is the music but after a point, the main brooding theme gets overused a bit much. I think I'll follow through watching all of this first season.

EDIT:

Anyone watching American Gods? It's been 2 weeks since my laptop died and another 2 for my new one to arrive. So I'll binge on howmuchever of the show is out by then. My friend who recommended and lent me his book a few years ago (which I then read) said it was top notch. So I'm pretty stoked about it.

residentgrigo

Excitement and Enjoyment!
I like American Gods more than the novel as of now, due to the Hannbal-esque style, and Better Call Saul slowed down (even more) in S03. It´s still a quality show, and a rare good prequel, but this season is slightly going in circles. Arrow S05 also pulled the usual trick of falling apart in the 3rd act at this point. S05 is 100% the last for me, no matter how many beloved 80s charters they surprising get right. Still a better ending point than whatever i watched last season. Flash is also starting to struggle, while the other 2 CW shows are dead to me. Outside of the Superman return in the Supergirl season finale. Tyler Hoechlin ain´t no Reeve or Cavill but what a surprise after the CW travesty called Smallville. I would watch a spin- off with him.

My random recombination is the 90s Highlander show i just finished. It´s all on Youtube. S01 takes till ep.13 to get good and S06 is 60% rubbish (the middle) but the meaty core of the show is THE Highlander sequel i always wanted. The overall arc is quite bleak too. The director´s cut of the anime film (yep) is also fine and i wish Mr. John Wick luck with the reboot.

NightCrawler

Hey, it's me again, i'm not getting paid for this. Watch The Leftovers. Embrace the Lindelof in you. It's okay now, i promise.

Griffith

After two decades of catching random reruns and marathons I'm binge watching SVU with my wife... there's like 10,000 episodes of this morbid shit. :magni:

NightCrawler said:
Hey, it's me again, i'm not getting paid for this. Watch The Leftovers. Embrace the Lindelof in you. It's okay now, i promise.

:ganishka:

This made me laugh, but no. :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
NightCrawler said:

I heard they're in Australia now. Isn't that kind of like an island somewhere in the Pacific Ocean? Is there a secret submarine? :ganishka:

In seriousness, Season 2 was good. I didn't wet my pants over it, but it was good. I'll probably watch Season 3 when I can, but I haven't been missing it.

Top Bottom