Episode 308

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Dani said:
I'm hoping we'll get a few more details of the whole Guts "healing" thing when the final scans are out.
Yeah, and I'm personally awaiting an actual picture of Guts' face in-episode before I concede he's healed anything at all. Not excluding the possibility here, since the preview text does imply he healed quickly, but ... I need to see it before I believe :azan:

Does it say in the text that Guts is healed ?? because from the colored scan and the last panel (with his hand) he still seems to be wrapped up in bandages like before. The burn marks seem to go up and down depending on a particular sketch.

Poor Isidro and puck seems to have taken the brunt of schierke's magic

Edit: Crossed out since walter posted before an answer while I was writing this

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I wonder if minor wounds in general will heal at a faster rate now that the worlds have merged, or if this was a one time thing.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
MaN said:
Does it say in the text that Guts is healed ??

To be exact, it says "Guts will be fully recovered soon." This doesn't necessarily mean too much other than the fact he'll be able to fight as well as before. From it we can also guess that we might actually not get to see Guts in this episode; it could just be his hand in the last panel.

MaN said:
from the colored scan and the last panel (with his hand) he still seems to be wrapped up in bandages like before.

On the color illustration he has no burn marks at all. In the last panel, his hand is covered in the usual bandages he's been wearing for years and years, but his knuckles bear no scars.

Rhombaad said:
I wonder if minor wounds in general will heal at a faster rate now that the worlds have merged, or if this was a one time thing.

That's a really tricky question. Personally I think of what just happened as a one time thing (at least in terms of being so spectacular), a side-effect of the merging. But there may be some permanent effects too. If we consider that the worlds have completely merged and are now one, then we could think that wounds won't heal faster at all, since they'll be wounds to the spiritual body as much as to the corporeal one. But within the new world's principles, wounds could also heal faster just because spiritual influence would override strictly physical concerns. In other words: wait and see.

Aazealh said:
What I'm wondering about though is how they got to attack Roderick's ship. In the first picture their lookout says there's no ship on the horizon (in front of them). But by the end of the episode, their ship, now possessed, is attacking the Sea Horse.

Maybe it submerged and resurfaced Pirates of the Caribbean style. :carcus:

^^It does show them avoiding the shots by submerging... :rakshas:

Anyway, it would be a sick sort of irony if the ones that possessed the ship were the same ones that were abandoned by the pirates in the previous engagement with the Sea Horse. Just another insult to injury, I suppose.

Looking forward to the episode, can't wait!! :guts:

Aazealh said:
Of course since the worlds actually merged the effect was more pronounced. By which I mean that it seems to have been instantaneous. However the extent of what can be healed as the spiritual impacts the physical has not changed. Guts' eye has been gone for years now, and it's not like it's still intact under his eyelid or anything. But beyond that, his spiritual body isn't that of a man with two valid eyes. Do you understand what I'm saying? We're not talking about a miraculous potion here.

Has that been confirmed, though? That the merger only accelerated the rate at which people would heal, and not the extent to which they would? I'm not trying to argue that I'm right, I'm simply trying to get a grasp of what the merger has been revealed to do thus far. Clearly regrowing an arm would be impossible, as you said. He isn't a lizard. But I was under the impression his eye was still there, but was of no use since he had a claw pierce into it (leaving it in a mangled state). If it had been implied that the eye was completely gone, I missed it, and that was my mistake. I also just assumed he was so used to himself without the eye, that that's how his spiritual body reflected itself (just like with the scar on his nose).

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
I'm also thinking of the possibility that Schierke might have already spotted Skellig in this episode. As for the pirates coming back to try again and attack Roderick's ship was not something I was expecting. Quite a stubborn captain, but now he has different guests aboard. :carcus:

D

DrPepperPro

Th3Branded0ne said:
I'm also thinking of the possibility that Schierke might have already spotted Skellig in this episode.
Ya I'm thinking that they're close, since there's seagulls. Though there's probably not a shot of the island yet, or it'd be the first thing the preview-pic-takers would get.

Is that it on the horizon there? I know sometimes it seems like there's land looking dark forms above the water when looking out at the ocean, when there's not supposed to be any there. So it's probably not.
possibly-elfhelm-questionmark.png

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Mage said:
Maybe it submerged and resurfaced Pirates of the Caribbean style. :carcus:

I thought about it actually, especially since like yota said, their ship seems to at least partially submerge itself to avoid the Sea Horse's cannon fire. However I'm not too sure about it for some reason, maybe because I don't think their poor excuse for a ship could reasonably sustain any sort of fast undersea travel.

yota821 said:
Anyway, it would be a sick sort of irony if the ones that possessed the ship were the same ones that were abandoned by the pirates in the previous engagement with the Sea Horse. Just another insult to injury, I suppose.

Hehe yeah, I was thinking the same. Crime doesn't pay! :void:

Chaos said:
Has that been confirmed, though? That the merger only accelerated the rate at which people would heal, and not the extent to which they would? I'm not trying to argue that I'm right, I'm simply trying to get a grasp of what the merger has been revealed to do thus far.

It's not been confirmed and it doesn't need to be, because that's how it works. What I said is a deduction based on what has been explained to us so far in the story. The corporeal attuning itself to the spiritual. Hence why I asked you if you understood what I was talking about earlier. The wave that washed over people wasn't a healing wave, it just brought the spiritual and the corporeal together instantly.

Chaos said:
But I was under the impression his eye was still there, but was of no use since he had a claw pierce into it (leaving it in a mangled state). If it had been implied that the eye was completely gone, I missed it, and that was my mistake.

When I say it's been gone, I just mean it's been dead. Useless. Whether what was left of it was removed or not when he was tended to back then is unknown. Keep in mind though that a pierced eyed is like an empty sack... Doesn't look like a functioning one and is pretty much unrepairable.

Chaos said:
I also just assumed he was so used to himself without the eye, that that's how his spiritual body reflected itself (just like with the scar on his nose).

Then why do you think it could come back? It doesn't make any sense.

He does indeed view himself as a one-eyed man, and we've seen his spiritual body and it only has one valid eye. So why would the merging of the spiritual and corporeal worlds restore it? Do you see my point better now? For reference, I've already explained this stuff months ago. I really would not advise people to expect Guts to regain his eye or arm. It's been part of his character since the very beginning and it's not going to change.

DrPepperPro said:
Is that it on the horizon there? I know sometimes it seems like there's land looking dark forms above the water when looking out at the ocean, when there's not supposed to be any there. So it's probably not.

I don't think it's land.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Hmmm, maybe next weekend I'll go pirate hunting... or just sit in my room reading Berserk! :griffnotevil:

Anyway, I love the emergence of the ghost ship! Also, amazing call on it by Wally ten episodes before the pirates themselves even appeared at sea, and a nice fresh shit sandwich for those that questioned the presence of the pirates before. Eat up, boys! :beast:

Aazealh said:
It's not been confirmed and it doesn't need to be, because that's how it works. What I said is a deduction based on what has been explained to us so far in the story. The corporeal attuning itself to the spiritual. Hence why I asked you if you understood what I was talking about earlier. The wave that washed over people wasn't a healing wave, it just brought the spiritual and the corporeal together instantly.

When I say it's been gone, I just mean it's been dead. Useless. Whether what was left of it was removed or not when he was tended to back then is unknown. Keep in mind though that a pierced eyed is like an empty sack... Doesn't look like a functioning one and is pretty much unrepairable.

Then why do you think it could come back? It doesn't make any sense.

He does indeed view himself as a one-eyed man, and we've seen his spiritual body and it only has one valid eye. So why would the merging of the spiritual and corporeal worlds restore it? Do you see my point better now? For reference, I've already explained this stuff months ago. I really would not advise people to expect Guts to regain his eye or arm. It's been part of his character since the very beginning and it's not going to change.

Thanks for the explanations, it shed light on some things I was uncertain about. Much appreciated.
Quick aside: For whatever reason, I was interpreting his spiritual form to be how he saw himself, so when I said he viewed himself as missing the eye, I meant that he had just grown accustomed to that aspect of himself. While in the physical world he has scars, he doesn't portray them in his astral form (A good example would be when the merger occurred, you didn't see him covered with all the burn scars). While the loss of his eye is most certainly more severe than some cuts and bruises, I couldn't help myself but hope that maybe it would come back.
A silly mistake on my part, if I should say so.

Though chances of this being shown in 308 are slim, perhaps we'll see how The Dragon Slayer may have been affected by the merger, if at all? Or the magical artifacts, for that matter.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Chaos said:
For whatever reason, I was interpreting his spiritual form to be how he saw himself, so when I said he viewed himself as missing the eye, I meant that he had just grown accustomed to that aspect of himself.

That's not necessarily wrong. The way people unconsciously perceive themselves more than likely plays a role. However it's not just that. When Slan dealt Guts "astral wounds", she didn't just hurt his feelings. :void: Again, this is stuff I already discussed months ago, so if you're curious don't hesitate to search for old posts on the subject.

Aazealh said:
That's not necessarily wrong. The way people unconsciously perceive themselves more than likely plays a role. However it's not just that. When Slan dealt Guts "astral wounds", she didn't just hurt his feelings. :void: Again, this is stuff I already discussed months ago, so if you're curious don't hesitate to search for old posts on the subject.

Ahahahaha, true, true. Although I'm sure he wasn't too pleased about it, to be fair :ganishka:

I'll be sure to search the boards if I have any other inquiries regarding the matter, thanks for the heads up.

Interesting looking episode. It'd be something if the Pirate Captain was the only one able to fend off the ghosts (somehow) and not become possessed. He'd could totally be another incarnation of a Carcus-type character. This probably won't turn out to be. He's probably going to bite the dust for good soon. But imagine him swabbing the decks on the Sea Horse. :slan:

*Don't kill off Captain Scumbag!*

Griffith

Chaos said:
Though chances of this being shown in 308 are slim, perhaps we'll see how The Dragon Slayer may have been affected by the merger, if at all? Or the magical artifacts, for that matter.

I would imagine that they've become stronger, if there's any notable difference at all. By the same token, if many of these astral creatures have indeed become part of the physical world, depending on how the rules have changed, regular weapons might be stronger as well since they may no longer be on a different plane from those creatures, and thus unable to reach them. You could even then argue that the magical weapons have become relatively less useful, even if they're technically enhanced. :rakshas:

Proj2501 said:
Interesting looking episode. It'd be something if the Pirate Captain was the only one able to fend off the ghosts (somehow) and not become possessed.

Yeah, I'd like to see him continue as the figurehead of the pirates, either as himself, or as the undead pirate ghost king! :magni:

Proj2501 said:
He'd could totally be another incarnation of a Carcus-type character. This probably won't turn out to be. He's probably going to bite the dust for good soon. But imagine him swabbing the decks on the Sea Horse. :slan:

*Don't kill off Captain Scumbag!*

Haha, yeah, probably not, but that's exactly why I love the thought! Unfortunately, I think he's proven to be too conniving, untrustworthy, and just capable enough that you really can't keep him around.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Proj2501 said:
Interesting looking episode. It'd be something if the Pirate Captain was the only one able to fend off the ghosts (somehow) and not become possessed.

Possessed... Or killed. The ship is being possessed, but keep in mind we haven't seen anyone on board after its transformation. And a ghost ship that can submerge itself at will to avoid cannon balls doesn't need a crew to man it.

Oh, and he's not the pirate captain, he's the boss, remember? :badbone:

グリフィス said:
Haha, yeah, probably not, but that's exactly why I love the thought! Unfortunately, I think he's proven to be too conniving, untrustworthy, and just capable enough that you really can't keep him around.

Yeah he's downright evil, as shown again in this episode. The guy will never be a part of Guts' group, I guarantee it.

Griffith

Aazealh said:
Yeah he's downright evil, as shown again in this episode. The guy will never be a part of Guts' group, I guarantee it.

Yeah, it goes both ways too, he wouldn't want to join them because he's THE BOSS! :ganishka:

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
You never know whose face'll get bitten with that creep around... Though I'm sure Guts could and would bite a face with even more ferocity.

On another note, I'm hoping that Guts and Co. will raid the F outta that ghost ship and take it as their own. How awesome would it be to roll up on Skellig in a ghost ship? Then again, Guts' and Casca's brands may or may not have adverse reactions to that.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Gobolatula said:
On another note, I'm hoping that Guts and Co. will raid the F outta that ghost ship and take it as their own. How awesome would it be to roll up on Skellig in a ghost ship? Then again, Guts' and Casca's brands may or may not have adverse reactions to that.

That ship was a ruin before it became possessed, and I wouldn't bet on it accepting any living passengers while being possessed, so it's not very likely. Sorry to break your dreams! :iva:

I wonder if those with the brand will be granted special properties now that the worlds have merged. As far as I can tell there really has not been any information to hint at this thus far.

Time will tell.

Griffith

Jaze1618 said:
I wonder if those with the brand will be granted special properties now that the worlds have merged. As far as I can tell there really has not been any information to hint at this thus far.

Time will tell.

Though, as I theorized with magical items, they might actually be less "special" now.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like there IS more going on in this ep than first met the eye. :chomp:

I spot a sea serpent on the first page and ... something strange biting into it on the second page. Looks similar to what Flora showed Schierke in this image (click), what with the twin overhead nostrils shooting out air/water and all. Anyone care to give it a name?

Also, call me Peter Premature here, but... a bird? A bird means LAAANNDDD HOOOOOOO!

Griffith

Walter said:
I spot a sea serpent on the first page and ... something strange biting into a it on the first page. Looks similar to what Flora showed Schierke in this image (click), what with the twin overhead nostrils shooting out air/water and all. Anyone care to give it a name?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd8gwYJA6Y4 :guts:

And I love the classic bit of the giant horrible monster being immediately eaten by an even bigger monster! :ganishka:

Walter said:
Also, call me Peter Premature here, but... a bird? A bird means LAAANNDDD HOOOOOOO!
Th3Branded0ne said:
I'm also thinking of the possibility that Schierke might have already spotted Skellig in this episode.
DrPepperPro said:
Ya I'm thinking that they're close, since there's seagulls. Though there's probably not a shot of the island yet, or it'd be the first thing the preview-pic-takers would get.

It's hard to be premature on this board. :carcus:

Top Bottom