Episode 308

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
グリフィス said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd8gwYJA6Y4 :guts:

And I love the classic bit of the giant horrible monster being immediately eaten by an even bigger monster! :ganishka:

It reminded me of something like this too Griff

rk-028-the-food-chain.jpg

Okin

The Ultimate Battle Creature
With monsters that big around, any chances Guts and co. will have an accident, and need to change ships? What are the chances another usable boat will be nearby though? I guess a warding spell from Schierke might do the trick.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
I spot a sea serpent on the first page and ... something strange biting into it on the second page. Looks similar to what Flora showed Schierke in this image (click), what with the twin overhead nostrils shooting out air/water and all. Anyone care to give it a name?

I'm not sure those old sea monsters that were drawn on maps were ever given names (they were supposed to represent whales, but the depictions were obviously not accurate). We could maybe call the big one a "leviathan", but it might not be very legitimate and we'd look silly if Miura used the name for something else at a later time. I'm going to stick to simply "sea monsters" myself.

Moving on, those sea monsters look great! :guts:

Okin said:
With monsters that big around, any chances Guts and co. will have an accident, and need to change ships? What are the chances another usable boat will be nearby though? I guess a warding spell from Schierke might do the trick.

There's no other ship near them, in the middle of the ocean. Except the ruin that is the ghost ship, of course. Frankly, staying on Roderick's state-of-the-art ship and keeping it undamaged is their best bet.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
I was lucky enough to purchase YA at Kinokuniya Bookstore in Japantown, San Fransisco. I encourage you all to do the same! It's great!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Episode title is "ghost ship".

Interesting that the brands are lightly bleeding even at that distance. There must be a lot of evil gathered on that ship... Anyway, like I thought, we didn't get to see Guts! Makes me eager to see what's next, now. Good thing the next episode's in 2 weeks! :guts:

And I was wondering how the ghost ship had caught up with the Sea Horse but hadn't even considered a time lapse. Funny how sometimes the obvious answer can be easily overlooked.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Gobolatula said:
Looks like Seagull Schierke found herself something menacing in those waters...

Haha yeah. It's funny, seeing the preview I had thought there were a few seagulls around (pecking at Puck & Isidro), but it turns out it's just the one Schierke had possessed (so, Schierke herself). Makes her reaction when she first sees herself all the funnier. :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I think it's pretty awesome Miura incorporated the "Here Be Dragons" type creatures of ancient maps in these uncharted waters. Very fitting. THere's a lot more text in this episode than I thought there would be. Maybe that will silence some naysayers... :femto:

As for what's next, I can really see that color painting of Guts being the opening scene of next ep :guts:

Seems like the brands still respond in the usual manner. Also, I'd thought the 'boss' had turned into the skeleton riding the shark figurehead from the preview, haha...guess not

Daijyashin

Berserk is Divine and Human
Interesting episode.

I really wonder the connection between the bleeding brand and the fact that Guts feels something on his arm. :???:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
I think it's pretty awesome Miura incorporated the "Here Be Dragons" type creatures of ancient maps in these uncharted waters. Very fitting.

Yeah, it's awesome. In line with the rest of his work, too.

Walter said:
THere's a lot more text in this episode than I thought there would be. Maybe that will silence some naysayers... :femto:

SA-emot-downs.gif
"Less dialogue, more action!! All this text is boring!!"

Walter said:
As for what's next, I can really see that color painting of Guts being the opening scene of next ep :guts:

Exactly. Dragon Slayer to the face of that ghost ship. Then a cannon shot. :troll:

Seriously though, I wonder how it's going to go down. I imagine the ghost ship will get close to them one way or another, and that makes me question whether we've seen all it can do yet or not. The damn thing could be resourceful. I'm also curious to see if other creatures will get involved.

Marik said:
I really wonder the connection between the bleeding brand and the fact that Guts feels something on his arm. :???:

The brands bleed because of the ghost ship. That Guts is feeling something in his arm... is not a fact.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
In the preview for 308 when 307 was released, it could be that the shot of Guts holding his artificial arm (OR ATTACHING IT) could've simply been telling the viewers, "GUTS IS GONNA BE BACK IN ACTION." That thought alone makes me happy.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Gobolatula said:
In the preview for 308 when 307 was released, it could be that the shot of Guts holding his artificial arm (OR ATTACHING IT) could've simply been telling the viewers, "GUTS IS GONNA BE BACK IN ACTION."

Yes, that's pretty much what it was used for.

Commando-GearingUp.gif

Side note, but volume 34 is selling well in Japan. It was #1 of its category during its launch week.

Daijyashin

Berserk is Divine and Human
Aazealh said:
The brands bleed because of the ghost ship. That Guts is feeling something in his arm... is not a fact.

Yes I know, and I do not have expressed clearly before, I didn't want to state (as I am sure of it) that is a fact that Guts is feeling something on his artificial arm for sure.

Gobolatula said:
In the preview for 308 when 307 was released, it could be that the shot of Guts holding his artificial arm (OR ATTACHING IT) could've simply been telling the viewers, "GUTS IS GONNA BE BACK IN ACTION." That thought alone makes me happy.

Yes I meant even something like that. That could be IMO a connection between the fact that Guts is holding is artificial arm and the fact that his brand is bleeding.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Marik said:
Yes I know, and I do not have expressed clearly before, I didn't want to state that is a fact that Guts is feeling something on his artificial arm.

Riiiight.

Marik said:
Yes I meant something like that. That could be IMO a connection between the fact that Guts is holding is artificial arm and the fact that his brand is bleeding.

You mean he could be gearing up to meet a supernatural threat?! I'm pretty sure that's what we're all thinking here.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Haha, Isidro and Puck getting shocked never gets old (mainly because they deserve it). :ganishka:

Glad to see Guts is back in action. I, too, am curious to see how he's going to deal with the ghost ship. It would have been nice if they could have somehow captured the kundalini. That thing destroys ships pretty efficiently.

I wonder if the color page at the beginning of the episode will be a poster in Vol. 35... :???:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
It would have been nice if they could have somehow captured the kundalini. That thing destroys ships pretty efficiently.

Oh my, just imagine the possibilities. A pet Kundalini controlled by Puck or something. A scary thought. :void: Keep in mind though, this could still happen now that so many astral creatures are freely roaming the world. Maybe they'll tame a couple while in Elfhelm!

Rhombaad said:
I wonder if the color page at the beginning of the episode will be a poster in Vol. 35... :???:

Would be very early if so. Not too likely in my opinion. Which makes me deplore all the more the lack of new artbooks. :sad:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Aazealh said:
Oh my, just imagine the possibilities. A pet Kundalini controlled by Puck or something. A scary thought. :void: Keep in mind though, this could still happen now that so many astral creatures are freely roaming the world. Maybe they'll tame a couple while in Elfhelm!

That would be pretty cool. Having a powerful astral creature as an additional party member would make things a little easier, especially if they came upon something of the same element that turned out to be pretty tough.

Aazealh said:
Would be very early if so. Not too likely in my opinion. Which makes me deplore all the more the lack of new artbooks. :sad:

I'm sure we'll get plenty after the series is over, but it does suck that some of these fantastic color illustrations stay covered in text. I'm heading downtown this weekend after having lunch with my grandmother, so I'll be sure to order YA No. 19 and 20 in addition to setting up my subscription. That way I'll have a somewhat decent copy of the picture until it shows up in an art book somewhere down the road.

EDIT: I'm predicting we finally get to see Azan unmasked during the upcoming battle. Hopefully, I'm right and we get a chance to see him and Guts fighting side by side. :guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
I'm sure we'll get plenty after the series is over, but it does suck that some of these fantastic color illustrations stay covered in text.

I'm not thanking you for these words Rhombaad. To wait until the series is over before we get more artbooks is not a very comforting thought. :azan:

Rhombaad said:
I'm heading downtown this weekend after having lunch with my grandmother, so I'll be sure to order YA No. 19 and 20 in addition to setting up my subscription. That way I'll have a somewhat decent copy of the picture until it shows up in an art book somewhere down the road.

That's a good initiative. For info, a lot of color illustrations have been published in YA over the years, some of which never appeared elsewhere.

Rhombaad said:
I'm predicting we finally get to see Azan unmasked during the upcoming battle. Hopefully, I'm right and we get a chance to see him and Guts fighting side by side.

Hahaha, I think someone has a case of 'stache withdrawal here. :guts: If it happens I'll give you a custom title. :slan:

Guhh!!! Awesome shiiiiit. What the hell were those sea creatures? The Ghost Ship is lookin' pretty badass. Hopefully we some some boarding action in the next episode. Isidro vs Captain Scumbag: Round 2!
Aazealh said:
Hahaha, I think someone has a case of 'stache withdrawal here.
Aren't we all suffering from it? :iva:

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
In classic statuary, the guys that look a bit like the bigger monster there are technically dolphins, even though they look nothing much like dolphins. I think the ones with head spigots are whales, even though they look nothing much like whales. It's one of those things that's useless to google for though, so I don't have much backup info.

I'd still love to see a Berserk take on the kraken in the classical style; these guys are some of my favorites:

http://www.lib-art.com/artgallery/15123-perseus-frees-andromeda-piero-di-cosimo.html
http://www.lib-art.com/artgallery/18774-perseus-and-andromeda-joachim-wtewael.html

I'm totally gonna color that monster chompy spread btw, Proj, warn me if you're hitting it already! :carcus:

I can't make myself stop reading Dead Pirate Roberts' lines in the voice of the pirate lackey from Venture Brothers... sigh
"Look at me! I look like Johnny Depp!"

Oburi

All praise Grail
I think it's awesome that, as Walter pointed out, Miura used the sea creature shown in Flora's book from a while back. I also think this is an great first episode for the new arc, with some classic comedy that was just perfect. At the same time we got to see Schierke kinda exploring and observing the sea creatures, which actually reminded me of star wars episode 1 during the underwater sequence. And I know we just got setup for a totally badass entrance for Guts :guts:

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Now that :chomp: is temporarily out of the picture, we'll get another round of semi-sane berserker Guts, which is my favorite. It seems that's probably what we're gonna see considering how Guts is shown in the alternate volume 34 cover.

I'd love it if in episode 309, he just leaps out and is like, "FUCK THIS SHIT!!" and bashes the hell out of those ghosts. Serpico, Guts, and Schierke can wipe out the ghosts, no problem, but then we gotta deal with those damn sea monsters.

Top Bottom