Long live Halloween

KazigluBey

Misanthrōpos
The Christmas stuff has been out in some stores for over a month, but Halloween has yet to come. Like Rodney Dangerfield, Halloween gets no respect. What's better than being able to carve jack-o-lanterns, eat tons of junk food and watch horror movies all month long? Other than religious reasons, I see the only big difference between Halloween and Christmas is that you give gifts on Christmas, thus the businesses have less of a reason to build it up. Only the candy makers cash in for this holiday. I imagine if they went back far enough in history they could find some excuse to start a gift giving tradition for Halloween. Then you'd have costumes on store clothes racks after the 4th of July. :SK:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Can't really comment since Halloween has no cultural background here and tries (not very successfully) to exist solely because big companies are trying to import it for commercial purposes. It does look like a fun holiday though and I wish the good aspects of it came over.

KazigluBey

Misanthrōpos
I'm not sure about the relation that the Germanic area of Europe has with Samhain, but I'm sure Britain/Ireland has some celebrations. America has sort of changed it into its current form, since I believe the original celebration was that of the end of the fall harvest before winter arrived. I imagine every culture has some sort of ghost stories or things similar to that. Mexico has their day of the dead. America just decided to commercialize it. Big surprise. :ganishka:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
KazigluBey said:
Mexico has their day of the dead.

Most European countries do. In fact a lot of countries all over the world do regardless of what their dominant religion is. Like you said, the difference comes with commercialization.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Halloween has always been my favorite holiday since I was a kid, and I hardly ever trick or treated! I always liked the decorations and I have the same ones my mom used to hang up. Plus Halloween gives me an excuse to put a dress on! :schierke:

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
KazigluBey said:
America has sort of changed it into its current form, since I believe the original celebration was that of the end of the fall harvest before winter arrived.

I'm operating completely from memory, but farmers, afraid that mischievous spirits would take/ruin their food stocks during the harsh winter months ahead, gave up an offering so that they would be spared. It eventually evolved into the tradition of children dressing up as the spirits and receiving the offerings.

Oburi

All praise Grail
I enjoy halloween, I'll see if i can post some pictures of the things I dressed up as when I was a kid, I had some great costumes from the ninja turtles to Napoleon Dynamite. This year I might go to a costume house party and I plan on dressing up as Rorschach from Watchmen. :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
What would be awesome is to go to a costume party as the headless horseman, carrying around one of THESE: http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=10425.0

KazigluBey

Misanthrōpos
Walter said:
What would be awesome is to go to a costume party as the headless horseman, carrying around one of THESE: http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=10425.0

Just don't drop it! :isidro:

For this year I am currently split between a ghostbuster costume or a commander cobra one. Maybe I will post some pics :).

KazigluBey

Misanthrōpos
Cobra Commander you mean. ;)

I have to work so I'm just starting early and dragging it out all month with watching at least one horror/scary movie a day. I'll save the junk food for the 31st. Don't want my teeth falling out any time soon! Did the caramel apple thing already, found a good recipe for chocolate/caramel combo and I love granny smith apples so I couldn't resist. :ganishka:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I'm going as a red shirt from Star Trek this year. It's simple, cheap and funny for those in the know. Odds of me dying on an away mission...high. :SK:

KazigluBey

Misanthrōpos
Rhombaad said:
I'm going as a red shirt from Star Trek this year. It's simple, cheap and funny for those in the know. Odds of me dying on an away mission...high. :SK:

How many of those in the know do you think you'll encounter? :serpico:

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
I just watched the Invisible man for the first time and I thought Claude Rains performance was amazing. So now I want to be the Invisible Man for Halloween, I just need the coat, I have the rest.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
handsome rakshas said:
I just watched the Invisible man for the first time and I thought Claude Rains performance was amazing. So now I want to be the Invisible Man for Halloween, I just need the coat, I have the rest.
"Hey man were you at that party last night?"
"yeah"
"I didn't see you there"
"Just as planned." :rakshas:

KazigluBey

Misanthrōpos
handsome rakshas said:

He's a great actor. Check out Notorious for another stellar performance.

Besides the invisible man you could go naked with a pair of roller skates and say you're a pull toy. :ganishka:

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Going to try to pull this off.

( Hot(linked) like a potato. :farnese: )
20th-century-boys-tomodachi.jpg

I got the suit and now I need to find something to put over my head so that I can see through it. I just got a bunch of white gauze from home and welp, lets see if it works when I try to get everything set up.

Dar_Klink

SaiyajinNoOuji said:

http://lablogatorios.com.br/100nexos/files/2009/02/20th-century-boys-tomodachi.jpg

I got the suit and now I need to find something to put over my head so that I can see through it. I just got a bunch of white gauze from home and welp, lets see if it works when I try to get everything set up.
OH GOD DO IT DO IT DO IT SHIIIIIIIIIIT DO IT! I'm also gonna be working on this costume, but probably not for halloween. Here's another reference pic of Friend's actor from the movie at the premiere of it.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
SaiyajinNoOuji said:

20th-century-boys-tomodachi.jpg

What's that from?

I decided to be Fred Flintstone this year instead of a red shirt from Star Trek. I'm a bit heavyset like Fred, so I think it'll work out nicely! :guts:

Dar_Klink

Rhombaad said:
What's that from?
A manga/movie called 20th Century Boys. It's by the same author as Monster and is pretty amazing. That guy is the main bad in the series, named Friend, who leads a cult.

Dar_Klink

Happy Halloween everybody! I hope you're having fun while I'm closing tonight. :sad:
That costume is awesome Rakshas!

Top Bottom