Episode 309

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Marik said:
In my opinion the tentacles comes from a different creatures, besides the ghosts, but of course I'm not sure. :???:

The boss says the creatures are their new "brothers", so I'm inclined to think they are related to the ghost ship in a way or another.

Oburi said:
I think we threw around the term Ghost ship too much and that threw me off.

The title of the previous episode was "ghost ship". In the preview (of this episode) the pirate captain is explicitly saying it's a ghost ship. And we can see a supernatural glow in one of the ship's portholes, like a ghostly eye (was the same in episode 308). What more do you want?

Additionally, the boss says that pirates and monsters get along well, that they see eye to eye.

Oh boy. Best entrance ever?...Maybe not. But damn good, for sure :guts:

Here's something that's bothering me (to get off of the sea monster/ghost ship aspect of the episode for a bit):
The last time we saw :chomp:, he said he would lie in wait for a time when he and guts could take :griffnotevil: out (I'm paraphrasing a great deal here, I know. Please forgive me). However, we didn't really get to see how the armor would react after schierke's interaction with it, do to Guts not needing to use is (not to mention, he was in no shape to use it, either). What's more, the worlds then merged. Now we see (to everyone's delight, I'm sure :SK:) Guts suited up, ready to do what he does best. So I guess what I'm getting at is: how do you think the nature of the armor will differ from before, if at all? Will the OD of the armor react as it always does, consuming Guts, or might he have better control over it, like he did with schierke? (I'm hoping this is revealed sooner rather than later, but in the interim I wanted some opinions on the matter)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Chaos said:
The last time we saw :chomp:, he said he would lie in wait for a time when he and guts could take :griffnotevil: out (I'm paraphrasing a great deal here, I know. Please forgive me).

You're not paraphrasing, you're misquoting. The Beast of Darkness says it will wait for the day when Guts will lose his friends, and then will swallow him completely. Killing Griffith comes after that. :beast:

Chaos said:
However, we didn't really get to see how the armor would react after schierke's interaction with it, do to Guts not needing to use is (not to mention, he was in no shape to use it, either). What's more, the worlds then merged. Now we see (to everyone's delight, I'm sure :SK:) Guts suited up, ready to do what he does best. So I guess what I'm getting at is: how do you think the nature of the armor will differ from before, if at all? Will the OD of the armor react as it always does, consuming Guts, or might he have better control over it, like he did with schierke? (I'm hoping this is revealed sooner rather than later, but in the interim I wanted some opinions on the matter)

I would say that the armor's Od will be the same as ever. But Guts might be more focused and better able to control himself and his feelings since the confrontation within himself in episode 290.

So the theory is that there is some big monster, with all these tentacles things coming up, basically living inside the boat like a shell, kinda like a turtle. (Came in from the big hole in the of the ship) Is this correct?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Death May Die said:
So the theory is that there is some big monster, with all these tentacles things coming up, basically living inside the boat like a shell, kinda like a turtle. (Came in from the big hole in the of the ship) Is this correct?
No. We're not sure what's going on, and right now none of the theories really converge.

There were ghosts in 308 that resemble the appendages we see later on. These things apparently possessed the ship and its crew. It then exhibits unnatural abilities as if it is alive, is referred to as a "ghost ship" and later sprouts appendages with faces. The pirate call the appendages its brothers. That's what we know. As I already said earlier, the "hole" in the boat looks to me like it was already there, as in it's a design of the ship (i get this notion from the smooth contours of the "hole"), not a hole that some creature bored into.

If it was "simply" some creature that swam in and into the ship, it wouldn't immediately explain the ghosts that appeared, nor the possession.But it's a weird wild world now, so I dunno... maybe?

My current thought is that the whole ship was possessed by some massive sea-borne ghost, and the result is an amalgamation of creatures -- squid arms, pirates, pirate ship, possibly more as the story continues.

X

Xem

That hole certainly is mysterious, but I have a theory about the captain! As flimsy as it is, my guess is he's been integrated into the boat. As in, whatever creature came upon them possessed the boat along with the captain.

As you can see, his face almost seems "furry" to me, and his usual clothing looks that way also, almost the same texture of the tentacle-monster-type-things. My guess is the boat is .. alive! .. and the captain is part of it.

Secondly, I think maybe it was the "Wind" itself that helped the pirate's ship move so quickly. Since Miura is obviously fleshing out the ocean in this fantasy world, I find it a bit of a coincidence that it would be a "Wind" that had the pirate's catch up so quickly.

Another more logical answer for me would simply be, as I said above, the boat is possessed... and therefore now retains more supernatural abilities. I simply found it interesting that the pirates referred to the "Wind" so frequently, but of course, they're seamen, so maybe it's not so strange.

Also, totally off-the-wall here, but the idea of an underwater ship put another fantasy-related idea in my head. Any chances we'll one day see an ... and I almost hate to say it ... AIR SHIP?!. I'm really reaching here, but if boats can now defy gravity to go down, maybe one day we'll see one go up? Just an idea, don't kill me!

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Rhombaad said:
Nice! Glad to see he's still...um...alive? As far as his eye is concerned, it looks just like Farnese's eyes when she's possessed in Vol. 17 (which I read last night, so it's fresh in my mind), as well as others who have been possessed.

Yeah, Miura has used that wide or split/double pupil style a lot in general for evil or possessed creatures, it's particularly prominent in volumes 17-21, as you mentioned with the Farnese incident.

Oburi said:
I'm guessing that was them. So maybe it's not some ghostly possesion but more of a sea creature type thing that's controlling them. I think we threw around the term Ghost ship too much and that threw me off. I mean, are those definitely ghosts up there?

I think the simplest explanation is that those evil spirits make up the essence of the creature, and combined/changed the flesh most of the crew into itself. Maybe I wasn't far off with my "hive mind" reference, it's a necromorph! :guts:

Of course, maybe it didn't even need the flesh of the crew, I don't think we need to worry about the old astral rules concerning spirit and flesh etc, anything can happen in Fantasia! :griffnotevil:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Deci said:
As flimsy as it is, my guess is he's been integrated into the boat. As in, whatever creature came upon them possessed the boat along with the captain.

As you can see, his face almost seems "furry" to me, and his usual clothing looks that way also, almost the same texture of the tentacle-monster-type-things. My guess is the boat is .. alive! .. and the captain is part of it.

Well, we already knew the ship itself was possessed before episode 308 even came out, so that's nothing new. And I posted on the first page of this thread that the pirates and the monsters could all be part of the ship, so that's nothing new either. :iva:

Deci said:
Secondly, I think maybe it was the "Wind" itself that helped the pirate's ship move so quickly. Since Miura is obviously fleshing out the ocean in this fantasy world, I find it a bit of a coincidence that it would be a "Wind" that had the pirate's catch up so quickly.

What? In episode 308, when they speak of the mysterious "wind", they refer to the "astral wave" that propagated all over the world when Ganishka exploded. And at that time, the pirates say the sea is completely flat and that they have no chance to ever catch up with the Sea Horse given the state of their ship.

Deci said:
Another more logical answer for me would simply be, as I said above, the boat is possessed... and therefore now retains more supernatural abilities.

That's what I've been thinking, but after seeing the preview and the strange tentacles, it's hard to be sure.

Deci said:
Also, totally off-the-wall here, but the idea of an underwater ship put another fantasy-related idea in my head. Any chances we'll one day see an ... and I almost hate to say it ... AIR SHIP?!. I'm really reaching here, but if boats can now defy gravity to go down, maybe one day we'll see one go up? Just an idea, don't kill me!

Hahaha, it does seem a little crazy right now, but will it still be so in 5 years? Who knows, we'll see. :slan:

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
I saw the thread this morning but was going to work. I"m pretty surprised at seeing those creatures, I thought it was going to be your regular ghost ship. Good to see Guts doing some slicing and dicing with the DS. He must have been doing some sharpening just in case. Hopefully we get to see the whole group partake in battle. :guts:

Guts: "Mmmmyeah, I've seen bigger." :guts:

Those tentacle-face things sure remind me of the face-huggers from the Alien movies!

And I'm still wondering just exactly /how/ Schierke managed to uh, 'land' on Isidro like that. Weird angle, though it sort of looks like she's holding onto rigging or something at first. Revenge for the face paint? :isidro: Though, heh, probably not, given Schierke's :farnese: . (Kudos to these emoticons, they keep rocking)

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
With that texture he looks to me like he's either wood or monster cephalopod mimic flesh. :puck: I'm guessing the latter too.
And I LOVE him, holy crap, that is so awesome! :guts: And this new thingy makes me happy. Ever see Deep Rising? :troll:

Oburi

All praise Grail
Lithrael said:
And I LOVE him, holy crap, that is so awesome! :guts: And this new thingy makes me happy. Ever see Deep Rising? :troll:

Haha Deep Rising, thats what it was, i couldn't remember what movie it reminded me of.

D

DrPepperPro

Looking at the previous encounter with the pirates, the hole is this thing here:

berserk33_060-061.png

guts-pirate.gif

Long lost brothers, finally reunited.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Bekul said:
Those tentacle-face things sure remind me of the face-huggers from the Alien movies!

Hahaha, I was reminded of lampreys myself, specifically the rows of teeth.

Bekul said:
And I'm still wondering just exactly /how/ Schierke managed to uh, 'land' on Isidro like that. Weird angle, though it sort of looks like she's holding onto rigging or something at first. Revenge for the face paint? :isidro: Though, heh, probably not, given Schierke's :farnese: . (Kudos to these emoticons, they keep rocking)

Something hit the Sea Horse (maybe the ghost ship itself?), and the shock made her fall from where she was perched.

Darklink286 said:
Haha, and I thought the Boss was related to the King of Midland.

Hehe, if you actually compare them side by side, you'll find they're not very similar. :slan:

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Aazealh said:
Hehe, if you actually compare them side by side, you'll find they're not very similar. :slan:
Yeah, it's just the hair and beard I guess that gives that impression. A man can dream though! :griffnotevil:
I'm really glad we get to see some Dragon Slayer action this episode, how long has it been since that?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Darklink286 said:
Yeah, it's just the hair and beard I guess that gives that impression.

Yup! You're not alone though, just so you know. When he first appeared everybody commented on it.

Darklink286 said:
I'm really glad we get to see some Dragon Slayer action this episode, how long has it been since that?

Last guy to get skewered with it was Ganishka (in episode 277). Left him with a nice souvenir on the forehead. :ganishka: So to answer your question, it's been... 3 years!

Daijyashin

Berserk is Divine and Human
Aazealh said:
The boss says the creatures are their new "brothers", so I'm inclined to think they are related to the ghost ship in a way or another.

Yes, in fact. Anyway, looking better at the pics.

pic2db.jpg

It's me, or on the right border of the pics there's something similar to a "wing"? :isidro:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Marik said:
Yes, in fact. Anyway, looking better at the pics.

It's me, or on the right border of the pics there's something similar to a "wing"? :isidro:
Yeah, I noticed that yesterday. Looks like it could just be a wave caused by the emerging ship. But it looks kind of unnatural... What's interesting is that it takes up most of the page we're not shown.

Marik said:

Walter said:
Yeah, I noticed that yesterday. Looks like it could just be a wave caused by the emerging ship. But it looks kind of unnatural...

It appears to have a claw on it. Maybe it's another "tentacle?" :/

I like the new look of the boss though. Whatever that is that's attacking Guts and company, it did a number on the boss. They have the same eyes, same skin, and it looks like he might have claws too (that could just be the new texture of his skin though). I'm really digging this new creature too. It infuriates me though. I'm curious what, exactly, it is. A kraken? A creature created by ghosts? A kraken possessed by ghosts? It seems strange that it'd have the ability to "corrupt" or "possess" the pirates. I wouldn't think a simple kraken would be able to do that. And, if it's ghost possession, it seems odd for the pirates to have the "fur" or claws, or would it? The mystery is driving me crazy with anticipation.

I also love the close-up image of the boss and his crew standing at the rail with the creature in the foreground. The boss looks like he's straight out of an oil painting.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I also love how the captain recognizes Isidro and Schierke from their earlier encounter on the docks at Vritannis. :ganishka:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Imperator Perpetuo said:
I'm really digging this new creature too. It infuriates me though. I'm curious what, exactly, it is. A kraken? A creature created by ghosts? A kraken possessed by ghosts? It seems strange that it'd have the ability to "corrupt" or "possess" the pirates. I wouldn't think a simple kraken would be able to do that. And, if it's ghost possession, it seems odd for the pirates to have the "fur" or claws, or would it? The mystery is driving me crazy with anticipation.

There's also the fact the ship appears to be moving by itself and has "eyes" glowing out of its portholes. Basically, it appears to be possessed (nothing too surprising for a ghost ship, right?). From what the captain says about pirates and monsters getting along, I would have guessed that the ghost ship as an evil entity had allied itself with a random sea monster, but the ghosts' shapes in the previous episode are too reminiscent of the tentacles for that right now. I have to say, I'm really curious about it myself. :SK:

Rhombaad said:
I also love how the captain recognizes Isidro and Schierke from their earlier encounter on the docks at Vritannis. :ganishka:

It's a great scene; he's actually speaking very respectfully to Roderick, then he sees them and completely loses it. :guts:

Top Bottom