Episode 309

finally guts gets back in the saddle! (although how healed he may be combined with the fact that he's fighting over a very large body of water may be an issue for him)

and I may take a lot of flak for this comment but, another break? seriously? it feels like the last break only just ended
I've only been following berserk regularly for about 4 years now, but time hasn't made me any more amiable towards these breaks, it gets to a point where I honestly forget what happens between chapters "oh good berserks back!......wait, what happened last time?"

I know it can't be helped in one respect (what with the phenomenal art, mind bending designs and twisting plot points), but it really does irk me
I'm not saying "OMG WHY CANT IT BE FASTER!", I'm just kinda....venting, so don't take these words too seriously

anyway, any idea how long the wait will be this time?

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Aazealh said:
It's a great scene; he's actually speaking very respectfully to Roderick, then he sees them and completely loses it. :guts:
Haha, like he's trying to impress someone he wants to consider him a peer. :ganishka:

Guts will have to teach him, "Monsters shouldn't pretend to be seamen!" :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
thesyndrome said:
and I may take a lot of flak for this comment but, another break? seriously? it feels like the last break only just ended
I've only been following berserk regularly for about 4 years now, but time hasn't made me any more amiable towards these breaks, it gets to a point where I honestly forget what happens between chapters "oh good berserks back!......wait, what happened last time?"
I understand people being a little miffed at the break, but let's give the guy some respect. It's his series. We're just consumers. Besides, we haven't even really seen THIS episode, so complaining about the lack of another seems pretty ridiculous to me.

Also, it's episode, not chapter. Would you call it: Fantasia Arc, Elf Island Chapter, Chapter 308: Ghost Ship? I don't think so. :azan:

anyway, any idea how long the wait will be this time?
No date was listed. This could mean anything really, but since he's just taken a 3-month break over the summer, I'd guess it'll be maybe another month.

Check here for a release and break chart we've made for the site: CLICK

Walter said:
It's his series. We're just consumers.

Haha couldn't agree more on the subject.

Although it seems to be released almost at random, I think the wait is just more reason for us to go crazy when a new episode hits!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Shayryuken said:
I think the wait is just more reason for us to go crazy when a new episode hits!
The extended breaks really have made each episode into a kind of climax. For eps 304 and 308, I took a day off work each so I could be there for their arrival. :mozgus:

thesyndrome said:
I'm not saying "OMG WHY CANT IT BE FASTER!"

I am! OMG WHY CANT IT BE FASTER!! Seriously, as good as the manga is, the delay between chapters makes reading it dull. Hire more artists, do something! 2 week delay is fine, but 1-3 months?! I have nearly given up on this manga, I might as well just come back in 10 years.

Tirade

Hai Yai, Forces!
Zerk said:
I am! OMG WHY CANT IT BE FASTER!! Seriously, as good as the manga is, the delay between chapters makes reading it dull. Hire more artists, do something! 2 week delay is fine, but 1-3 months?! I have nearly given up on this manga, I might as well just come back in 10 years.

*Sigh* Now I understand how Walter and Aazealh feel. How many times does it have to be repeated? Episodes people, not chapters! Sorry, but this is driving me nuts (and I usually don't comment all that often).

As for the delay in episodes, I don't see the problem. Would you prefer an overworked Miura spewing out rushed stories lacking in quality? From a business standpoint, he knows the customers will keep coming back for more. Why not string it out some? The wait heightens anticipation for the next episode. Talk about genius, if you ask me.

I get the feeling some people are just not patient enough when it comes to Berserk.

EDIT: I'm not sure how I feel about the idea of more artists. Miura has been the man for so long, I'd have a hard time buying work by other artists (even if they are working for Miura). Kind of takes away from what he's done. Not to mention, each artist has his own style, no matter how hard he/she tries to emulate someone else's style.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Tirade said:
I get the feeling some people are just not patient enough when it comes to Berserk.
Patience definitely is a virtue when it comes to Berserk. As a perfectionist, Miura wouldn't rush his releases if they didn't meet his standards. I'm sure if Miura ever thinks that he can produce the same quality of art and story on a weekly basis, he'd release it like that. I can understand the frustration with delays since most people probably read Volumes 1-27 or so in one sitting, and now they actually have to wait!

I can't wait for the full release to see everything that's going on and Guts and crew fighting again, the build-up of waiting for that has really paid off, and I'm pretty excited about it. :beast:

Darklink286 said:
the build-up of waiting for that has really paid off, and I'm pretty excited about it.

I'll say.

But on the subject of more artists, I would have to agree that this could be a bad idea. Maybe keeping Miura as the sole artist is best for the series, it almost forces him (in the nicest way possible) to ensure quality of each episode.

Griffith

Zerk said:

DOUBLE PLAY!

weekly.jpg

episode.jpg

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Zerk said:

Please do take a ten year break from Berserk so we don't have to read garbage posts like this for another decade.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Tirade said:
As for the delay in episodes, I don't see the problem. Would you prefer an overworked Miura spewing out rushed stories lacking in quality? From a business standpoint, he knows the customers will keep coming back for more.

There's no business standpoint. Miura's an artist, not a car salesman. Anyone thinking he takes sales into account for anything is seriously deluding himself. The man doesn't need money. He simply takes the time he needs to do quality work, and yet feels bad about the gaps in the prepublication the fans are experiencing. We can't realistically ask for much more.

Tirade said:
I'm not sure how I feel about the idea of more artists.

I'll tell you how I feel about it: It's outright stupid and wouldn't even help all that much.

Darklink286 said:
I'm sure if Miura ever thinks that he can produce the same quality of art and story on a weekly basis, he'd release it like that.

That goes without saying. It can be summarized very simply: like you said, he's a perfectionist. And a workaholic as well. He's doing the max already. Some people want more (some people always want more), but it's not going to happen. Sure, it's frustrating, we all love Berserk, we all want more and more of it. But things are how they are, and we all have to be patient. Ranting about it everytime brings nothing to the table. And so I'd like to ask everyone to get back to talking about the episode itself, which is the purpose of this thread. Thanks in advance.

SlimeBeherit

[FIGHT][SPELL] [SACRIFICE][ITEM]
Looks like he's not the only one to vent his frustration in this manner.

index.php
Picture3.png

Caught this on AVGN's revisiting of Castlevania.

Griffith

Coincidentally, I just saw that tonight as well, I did not think of the Captain though.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
He's the Boss, not the Captain! :void:

[quote author=Episode 288]
Pirate: But captain, we're 3 ships strong! ...

Captain (Boss): Boss!! Call me Boss!!
[/quote]
I thought it was interesting that unlike other possessed beings, the Boss here appears to have retained his memory and personality, such as when he flips out to seeing Isidro aboard the Sea Horse. It's probably nothing, but it stuck out to me as strange that he'd still be "himself" after a possession.

After reading through all the posts and looking at the preview again, I'm sticking to my theory that the ship and its inhabitants were possessed by a roaming sea spirit. That would explain the ghostly tentacles, but ... not necessarily how they formed into solid objects. :sad: For that, I'd postulate that this spirit has collected other sea creatures along its path.

Anyway, Im sure many of these questions will be answered, and "fleshed out" in the coming episodes. How many eps do you think it'll take Guts (and crew) to dispose of this creature? 2-3?

I'm hoping 2-3. It's been too long since we've had a good battle with Guts. :daiba:

To be honest, I was not aware astral creatures (For want of a better term, seeing as I don't think that really matters anymore) were able to be possessed. Not that it was ever implied that they COULDN'T be possessed, it was just something I didn't think could happen/hadn't seen before. Interesting stuff, indeed.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Chaos said:
To be honest, I was not aware astral creatures (For want of a better term, seeing as I don't think that really matters anymore) were able to be possessed. Not that it was ever implied that they COULDN'T be possessed, it was just something I didn't think could happen/hadn't seen before.
I actually meant more something like a squid/octopus being possessed, not necessarily an astral creature. But I don't see why a horse could be possessed (vol 17) and NOT a unicorn just because it came from another plane of existence. Afterall, we certainly don't know much about the new rules in this merged world.

Griffith

Walter said:
After reading through all the posts and looking at the preview again, I'm sticking to my theory that the ship and its inhabitants were possessed by a roaming sea spirit. That would explain the ghostly tentacles, but ... not necessarily how they formed into solid objects. :sad:

Fantasia. :griffnotevil:

Walter said:
I actually meant more something like a squid/octopus being possessed

That's another good explanation, anyway, I'm sticking to my necromorph idea since the invading spirits so resembled the creature we see now. Then again, we only saw the shape of the "head", so they simply could have made anything, like an octopus or squid as you say, into the body.

My main question is whether something like that is even necessary though, and are we just reading too much into the monster's form?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
グリフィス said:
My main question is whether something like that is even necessary though, and are we just reading too much into the monster's form?
I don't think so. There is a lot to read into the form because it appears to be a new kind of phenomena. I think this possessed ship is a large example of just how little we know of how things work now. We can try to pin it to a previous mold we've seen elsewhere in the series, but it doesn't stick. It's something weird and new.

Griffith

Walter said:
I don't think so. There is a lot to read into the form because it appears to be a new kind of phenomena. I think this possessed ship is a large example of just how little we know of how things work now. We can try to pin it to a previous mold we've seen elsewhere in the series, but it doesn't stick. It's something weird and new.

That's my point, why are we stuck on old astral rules and ideas when they no longer apply? It could very well still be something like we've seen before, like a possessed animal (maybe the pirates had something nasty stowed away =), but it could also be weird and new as you say, like the tentacles just manifested, either via the evil power inherent to that place, through the flesh of the crew, or just seemingly out of thin air because it's possible now, as just a natural part of Ghost Ship legend in the Berserk world?

グリフィス said:
That's my point, why are we stuck on old astral rules and ideas when they no longer apply? It could very well still be something like we've seen before, like a possessed animal (maybe the pirates had something nasty stowed away =), but it could also be weird and new as you say, like the tentacles just manifested, either via the evil power inherent to that place, through the flesh of the crew, or just seemingly out of thin air because it's possible now, as just a natural part of Ghost Ship legend in the Berserk world?

To be a nit picker, not ALL old astral rules apply. For an example, to go back to the healing aspect, we see that the astral worlds merger had the same effect on healing wounds as it always did. Although, that's all we've really seen so far. I'm leaning more towards that idea myself, that we're dealing with a whole new set of rules now.

Griffith

Chaos said:
To be a nit picker, not ALL old astral rules apply. For an example, to go back to the healing aspect, we see that the astral worlds merger had the same effect on healing wounds as it always did.

That's not my point, which is what's possible now versus what wasn't before, not vice versa. I should have said the old limits don't necessarily apply.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Ok, Ok. :griffnotevil:

I did want to say that looking at the shots of the boat while it was underwater... It looked like it had the flowing blackness that Schierke viewed Daiba with when looking at him. Related? No idea but one thing is for certain, both are/look evil!

EDIT: I know this probably should go into speculation but. I wonder how easy it will be for Schierke to communicate with the elmentals. Before she had to go into a trance like state to reach their plane. Now? Maybe she can ring up the batphone and have them come in kicking like gangbusters?!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
SaiyajinNoOuji said:
I did want to say that looking at the shots of the boat while it was underwater... It looked like it had the flowing blackness that Schierke viewed Daiba with when looking at him. Related? No idea but one thing is for certain, both are/look evil!
Been there, said that :iva:
Walter said:
Well, could be but it actually it looks more like the effect of a gathering of spirits to me. Resembles what Daiba looked like when Schierke looked closer at how he was floating (click). In this case though, it'd just be a bunch of ghosts floating in and around the ship. OR blood, could be.

also see this post: http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=11050.msg177232;topicseen#msg177232

and this one: http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=11050.msg177251;topicseen#msg177251

EDIT: I know this probably should go into speculation but. I wonder how easy it will be for Schierke to communicate with the elmentals. Before she had to go into a trance like state to reach their plane. Now? Maybe she can ring up the batphone and have them come in kicking like gangbusters?!
Well, that's perfectly suited to be discussed here, but we've been wondering the same since ep 305.

Top Bottom