Episode 309

It seems like the the plant vagina monster was drawn to Gut's and Casca's brand. We've just seen an instance of humans being ineffectual against a spiritual adversary. I'm wondering what's going to the happen to the rest of the world that don't have comfort of existing near Griffith or Guts. Is the whole physical world ecosystem just supposed to give up and die?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
DetriusXii said:
It seems like the the plant vagina monster was drawn to Guts and Casca's brand.
There's no indication of that, especially since their brands are still sealed. But even if that were the case, why did it appear first to the pirates and then to the Sea Horse? :???:

We've just seen an instance of humans being ineffectual against a spiritual adversary. I'm wondering what's going to the happen to the rest of the world that don't have comfort of existing near Griffith or Guts. Is the whole physical world ecosystem just supposed to give up and die?
That's what we've been discussing for the past 5 episodes.

It's great to see Guts back in action but I've been wondering about something: he's been recovering for a while now and doing nothing really, so how come he didn't lose any of his stamina, skill, etc? I would imagine he would be rusty at the very least but that doesn't seem to be the case at all. Any thoughts on that?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
m said:
It's great to see Guts back in action but I've been wondering about something: he's been recovering for a while now and doing nothing really, so how come he didn't lose any of his stamina, skill, etc? I would imagine he would be rusty at the very least but that doesn't seem to be the case at all. Any thoughts on that?

Many things can be said. For example, because we haven't seen him exercise doesn't mean he hasn't. And I don't necessarily mean doing sword swings on the deck, it could've just been push-ups and sit-ups. Also, having been a swordsman all his life, I doubt just spending some time recovering in bed would result in a loss of skill. And about stamina, don't forget he's wearing the armor now. Not just that, but the astral wave might have helped him in that regard as well. Of course, even then he might indeed feel a bit rusty and will see this as an opportunity to loosen up a bit (same as in episode 239, basically). We've only seen him give one strike so far, and it was by surprise, so personally I'd be perplexed if he were already panting.

Okin

The Ultimate Battle Creature
Woow, some episode. The Ol' Captain was unusually eloquent for someone possessed. Maybe him and the spirits are just on the same page? His fingers and hair reminded me of the Grinch, it's the most disfigured someone has looked due to possession alone so far right? Since the "astral wave" maybe changes in a person's od change their physical appearance as well?

So I finally got caught up! Woot woot! I wait a week and then BAM another episode comes out. What good luck I have :guts: Oh look, a fight! Never saw that coming!!

Personally I think Guts looks bigger and badder than he has in quite a while. I see signs of increased muscle mass, too. Must be all fresh fish he's been eating.

Hahaha I hope Guts doesn't have to get wet. I just thinking back to the time when he had to dive off a cliff into a river to save Casca. He hated swiming in his armor so much he swore never to do it again.

Death May Die said:
Hahaha I hope Guts doesn't have to get wet. I just thinking back to the time when he had to dive off a cliff into a river to save Casca. He hated swiming in his armor so much he swore never to do it again.

I think the whole "Vritannis" incident kinda squashed any hopes he had of not swimming in armor, to be honest :ganishka:

Though an underwater battle would be wild.

Great come back, enjoyed it a lot.

I was wondering, on the last page of episode 309, was the shoes/boots/armoured footwear always that big - fat? Or is it just perspective?

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Oblivious said:
Great come back, enjoyed it a lot.

I was wondering, on the last page of episode 309, was the shoes/boots/armoured footwear always that big - fat? Or is it just perspective?

I'd say perspective.

D

Duststorm

I wonder if the whole point of the pirates attacking them on the sea was to show the difference between the merged and pre merged world.

The world before the merging, the only real danger(aside from weather or illness) on the sea were the pirate ships. Something that can be dealt with conventional means such as strategy and human weapons like cannons.

Now with the merged world. The pirates are now not human and their ships do not seem to act like a ship. It can dodge cannon fire by diving underwater thus making it much harder to deal with unlike the pirate ships they met before, which could be outwitted as well gunned from a distance. On top of all that there is a demon that the crew members have little chance in defeating with their weapons thus forcing Guts and co to help.

So does anyone think it is a parallel for how the new world works differently then the old one?

C

cajunman380

I would say thats a very good possibility.

on the other hand you can also say that it allows the pirate captain to finally meet Guts without getting his ass kicked in one panel.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
I'd say the point of the pirates' attack is both to show the effects of the merging and to give us fans more of what we love and missed: Guts tearing shit up.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Chaos said:
I think the whole "Vritannis" incident kinda squashed any hopes he had of not swimming in armor, to be honest :ganishka:

Though an underwater battle would be wild.

Don't tease! Though maybe with a little magic to aid him Guts could stay underwater for a while. He'll need to in order to defeat the great monster shark possessed by Adon's ghost! :guts:

Duststorm said:
So does anyone think it is a parallel for how the new world works differently then the old one?

Well, it's hard for me to take anything special away from it just because, like Guts' friends, I'm used to seeing this all the time anyway. Naturally, the relatively casual circumstances and ease with which it's occurring indicates the difference between the new and old world.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Duststorm said:
I wonder if the whole point of the pirates attacking them on the sea was to show the difference between the merged and pre merged world.
グリフィス said:
Naturally, the relatively casual circumstances and ease with which it's occurring indicates the difference between the new and old world.
Not to mention the myriad of different creatures we saw emerging in ep 306. It's pretty clear the old word order is gone. It's currently in a state of chaos, as we've seen reiterated before our eyes in many situations across the past four episodes. Guts and Co. are just used to dealing with things like this, having fought ghosts through countless nights and through their experiences in Enoch, Qliphoth and Vritannis.

グリフィス said:
Don't tease! Though maybe with a little magic to aid him Guts could stay underwater for a while. He'll need to in order to defeat the great monster shark possessed by Adon's ghost! :guts:
I actually think the next big fight between Guts and this ... uh ... possessed "ship" will be something like in Vritannis when he was having to hop from place to place to keep out of the water. Maybe Serpico could help in some regard to that, but I doubt it.

Walter said:
I actually think the next big fight between Guts and this ... uh ... possessed "ship" will be something like in Vritannis when he was having to hop from place to place to keep out of the water. Maybe Serpico could help in some regard to that, but I doubt it.

I kinda see that being the case, too. Wonder what he's gonna be hopping around on, though. Looks like he's got some tentacles to cut off before he can take on the ship "head to head", hm?

Though I'm actually a little mad at myself for bringing up an underwater fight idea. I'm salivating a little at the thought of it :ganishka:

Maybe it could be a collaboration of both? Fighting (on) the ship while above water and underwater, to a degree, then having to jettison out of the water like he did at Vritannis when he runs out of air/magical aid?

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
I hope Guts goes into his "sane berserk" mode. I love how that looks.

I'm looking forward to the fight itself as much as the "play by play" given by the side characters, particularly Schierke. Surely she has a decent grasp on the situation.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Gobolatula said:
I hope Guts goes into his "sane berserk" mode. I love how that looks
I've been wondering about that myself, whether that will become the "norm" for Guts when in combat. It's featured on the vol 34 alternate cover, but when he looked like that in vol 31-32, it was because he gave in to the armor, and THEN regained himself thanks to Schierke. It always seemed to me like a very particular circumstance that made that happen.

Walter said:
I've been wondering about that myself, whether that will become the "norm" for Guts when in combat. It's featured on the vol 34 alternate cover, but when he looked like that in vol 31-32, it was because he gave in to the armor, and THEN regained himself thanks to Schierke. It always seemed to me like a very particular circumstance that made that happen.

It's gonna be interesting to see, indeed. Even in 27, he was only able to retain his senses after Schierke called him back. I'm curious as to what the "discussion" he had with the beast while he was sleeping will result in. Does it signify Guts "mastering the beast", to some degree? Or will it back off as a result of the merger? Will anything have changed?

At the very least, I don't think the opposite will have occurred, that is, the beast gaining a stronger pull over the armor/Guts. I'm hoping, anyway.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Chaos said:
Does it signify Guts "mastering the beast", to some degree? Or will it back off as a result of the merger? Will anything have changed?

It definitely doesn't signify Guts mastering the Beast within himself. If we can believe what the Beast said, it's going to back off until Guts friends die where it will then consume him completely. My guess is he will have a better grasp on the armor than before due to the Beast being absent for a while.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
The beast promised to come back pretty much when Guts is in his ultimate moment of dispair. The same sort of mindset is supposed to activate a beherit... Hmm...

Anyway, I remember back in volume 27, the first time Guts came back to his senses, his helmet was still on. Somehow he was able to make it retract. I wonder if he can just... make it come up.

Top Bottom