Damn behelits

trapped_soul

"This is it. It's over."
Olivier Hague said:
Er... What was the question? ^^;

the question was... this:

trapped_soul said:
Just out of interest, can you explain why not? i thought that the letters "r" and "l" can be used interchangeably when you translate japanese into any occidental language.

and why is it "zoddo" and not "zodd", but on the other hand "beherit" and not "beherito"?
For when they are pronounced they both sound like they have that "o" in the ending.

Not that this would be very important. i'm just curious ^^;

-TS

kimchan

"Should I be overcome by the vapors?
ShinHell9 said:
but beherit is how it was spelled in the dc game...you must remeber art of war, nor media blasters (the guys who translated berserk, for america...poorly) are mirua hes the only one who knows.

Um, we've been saying that beherit was probably the "official" spelling.

ShinHell9 said:
also about zod (or zodd) I have no idea to what language it means immortal in but their is one I mean how can so many sources use zod for immortal.

I know I dont make sense just drop that thing that i said.

As for Zodd, no one uses his name to mean immortal. "Immortal" is a nickname that soldiers in the series add to Zodd's name since he's been alive so long.

trapped_soul said:
Just out of interest, can you explain why not?
I already explained...
"Beherit" exists as a name. "Behlit" doesn't.
and why is it "zoddo" and not "zodd", but on the other hand "beherit" and not "beherito"?
And I already explained that as well...
"Zoddo" is the only official spelling I've ever seen.
For when they are pronounced they both sound like they have that "o" in the ending.
There's no final "T" or "D" sound in Japanese. They use "to" or "do". So "Beherit" becomes "beheritto".

ShinHell9 said:
but beherit is how it was spelled in the dc game...
What's your point?
you must remeber art of war, nor media blasters (the guys who translated berserk, for america...poorly) are mirua hes the only one who knows.
That helps a lot, thanks...
also about zod (or zodd) I have no idea to what language it means immortal in but their is one
I don't think so, no.
I mean how can so many sources use zod for immortal.
Because he's called "Nosferatu Zoddo". He got the "Nosferatu" part because he's believed to be immortal.
It has nothing to with the name "Zoddo".

trapped_soul

"This is it. It's over."
well thanks Olivier, but you still didn't answer this one...

trapped_soul said:
i thought that the letters "r" and "l" can be used interchangeably when you translate japanese into any occidental language.

Yes/no is enough, really.

-TS

Lliugusamui

around the corner
i think in diablo 2 the most powerful rune is Zod which has power of indestructibility ... perhaps the 'language' SH9 was talking about is from there :-\

ShinHell9

I started on here when I was like 14...
Guillaume said:
i think in diablo 2 the most powerful rune is Zod which has power of indestructibility ... perhaps the 'language' SH9 was talking about is from there :-\
yeh thanks for reminding me where I heard of zod before...Mirua and blizzard must've gotten the name from a common source I mean it would be a little bit of a coincedience: zodd the Immortal, zod (the indestructible rune).
maybe it wasn't a language but there has to be a source its too much to be a coincidence.

trapped_soul said:
well thanks Olivier, but you still didn't answer this one...
It's just that I think it doesn't make much sense...
trapped_soul said:
i thought that the letters "r" and "l" can be used interchangeably when you translate japanese into any occidental language.
If the word is Japanese, why would you use the letter "L" when writing it in alphabet? It's "R". It's always "R".
If the word isn't Japanese and does exist in another language, well, just write it how it's supposed to be written in the first place.
If the word isn't supposed to be Japanese and doesn't appear to "exist" in any other language, you'll have to look around and see if you can find it written in alphabet on some "official" merchandise. Or ask the author.

ShinHell9 said:
Mirua and blizzard must've gotten the name from a common source I mean it would be a little bit of a coincedience: zodd the Immortal, zod (the indestructible rune).
I think it could very well be a coincidence, on the contrary.
If you can find anything about an _actual_ "zod" rune meaning "immortality" or whatever, then, we'll talk.

ShinHell9

I started on here when I was like 14...
Olivier Hague said:
ShinHell9 said:
Mirua and blizzard must've gotten the name from a common source I mean it would be a little bit of a coincedience: zodd the Immortal, zod (the indestructible rune).
I think it could very well be a coincidence, on the contrary.
If you can find anything about an _actual_ "zod" rune meaning "immortality" or whatever, then, we'll talk.
yeah I guess your right...but the reason I really made this was not about spelling, I really want to know wtf is up with the blue beherit in the DC game like: why is it called egg of ancestary? & why does the other "demension" look very different from the eclipse?

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...
ShinHell9 said:
why does the other "demension" look very different from the eclipse?
This I can answer for you. If you look in some of the first volumes, you see a bit of one of the other layers of reality. It is during the battle with the snail count. The other world looks like one of those paintings of impossible arcitecture, y'know, like with 4 flights of stairs leading into each other in a square.
The other layers of reality don't neccesarily have to be the same throughout. Much the same way that earth has different terains, the other dimensions could have areas that look different.

Lliugusamui

around the corner
...well this impossible architecture with stairs all over in a messy way is also viewable when Griffith is in jail and watches through the lil window in the door ^^

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Re:Damn Beherits

In the American version of that game, it's said that the "Scarlet Beherit is sometimes called the Egg of Ascendancy". They also spell it "Beherite".

Besides that, the game's developers may have made errors, I can't exactly remember but they've kinda adapted the story so it could be more understandable (and less shocking) to people unfamiliar with it, for example Casca's sanity problem is due to the death of her friends, they 'forgot' the rape part...

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Aazealh said:
In the American version of that game, it's said that the "Scarlet Beherit is sometimes called the Egg of Ascendancy". They also spell it "Beherite".
More reasons to hate Eidos.
Besides that, the game's developers may have made errors, I can't exactly remember but they've kinda adapted the story so it could be more understandable (and less shocking) to people unfamiliar with it, for example Casca's sanity problem is due to the death of her friends, they 'forgot' the rape part...
More reasons to hate Eidos.

Aazealh said:
In the American version of that game, it's said that the "Scarlet Beherit is sometimes called the Egg of Ascendancy".
They need to buy a Japanese dictionary.
Then again, we already knew that...
Besides that, the game's developers may have made errors
Don't blame the poor guys, they got it right. Blame the US localization team.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Blame the US localization team.

Sure, coders don't translate the dialogue. :D

And I haven't forgotten that EVERY game with more text than "come get some!" I ever played had errors like that in it. Squaresoft games are a plague in French for example, incomplete sentences and word by word translations are our usual lot.

trapped_soul

"This is it. It's over."
Olivier Hague said:
It's just that I think it doesn't make much sense...
why doesn't it make sense? it's just a general question about translating... ???

If the word is Japanese, why would you use the letter "L" when writing it in alphabet? It's "R". It's always "R".
If the word isn't Japanese and does exist in another language, well, just write it how it's supposed to be written in the first place.
If the word isn't supposed to be Japanese and doesn't appear to "exist" in any other language, you'll have to look around and see if you can find it written in alphabet on some "official" merchandise. Or ask the author.

well... thanks!

-TS

T

temporary

I know a guy in my English Class whose name is "Beer Knot"... Figure that one out :p (Yes, that is the correct spelling).

Top Bottom