Berserk... it's fun for the whole family!

C

castrateme

Would you ever watch the Berserk anime with a family member?

I've been trapped into it, although I'm worried where it'll go.

One day when talking with my mother, she took a vested interest in my current anime/manga obsession so far - Berserk, of course!

Well, I decided to let her watch it. She likes it a lot so far, and in fact, she thinks it's a LOT better than most of the American entertainment that she's used to. My little 12 year old brothers joined in, and they love it too! We've already watched up through episode 17 of my DVDs.

But I've gotta wonder. Although my mother is a very open minded woman, I wonder how she'll react to the ending? I think it might make her go BERSERK (No pun intended) on me and take it away from me for watching this kind of stuff at my age (I'm only 16, after all). Even worse yet, I wonder how my BROTHERS are going to react to the Eclipse, as well as the upcoming rape scene with Griffifth and Charlotte.

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...
Don't let your brother see it the first showing. Warn your mother that the ending is far "worse" then the first episode.

kimchan

"Should I be overcome by the vapors?
Makes me kind of glad that my family doesn't care much about anime. Things are much less complicated. 8)

All_4_Yume

Yume Chaser
Hey you could do something really cool and possibly trucked-up by video taping your mom's response to the ending. It could be a weird social experiment or something. Live fan reactions to the ending of Berserk. ;D

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
First of all, hi everyone, I'm new! :)

My younger brother watched the first 5 episodes with me. He found it cool, but I doubt he'd enjoy the Eclipse part...

The rape scene may be a bit hard for young people. Ask your mom first before showing it to your brothers if you want to survive IMO. ;D

ShinHell9

I started on here when I was like 14...
Being that I'm the youngest of 2 children (15) and my parents are only partially open minded (I mean they did watch Princess Mononoke) the only person who watched Berserk with me was my 21 year old brother.So now I got my brother hooked on Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Evangelion, & extremly hooked on berserk. It's actually good having a family member or freind who watches anime also...my freinds however won't watch berserk (Don't know why) and sure as hell my Girlfriend wont. But if my little cousin ever saw berserk he would throw up at the bloodyness of it all. When I saw the rape scene I was a little disgusted because when you think of it she was bieng raped by a bird covered in flesh and no skin.

Lliugusamui

around the corner
i watch berserk with my 2 elder brothers ... i remember the first time, my 'high' brother who is now 22 got the first episode and we watched it together, it was really cool. Well later i had to go to school, when i got back, my brothers had watched the last episode to know if the serie was still good : they told me it was awesome. Imagine viewing first episode and then last, you wonder how could have things turned so bad ??
Thus i had a great thirst to see the whole episodes and that's what we did ; the first time is always a great experience ! ^^

theblakeman

theblakeman- your local pervert
My older brother hates Berserk and says it's 'lame'. I say he's gay!!! My Mom's only comments were "The animation is pretty bad' and 'It's pretty disgusting and rude' (THAT was to the MANGA and not the anime, because she saw the whole horse-rape scene). My Dad chuckled a bit at their facial expressions and he also commented odly on the name 'Nosferatu Zodd'. My brother only hates it because he says Evangelion is better I say he's gay!!! So uh, Gennon, how did it turn out?

Cloud Strife

Ive got a big sword to damn it!
My brother only hates it because he says Evangelion is better I say he's gay!!! So uh, Gennon, how did it turn out

I wouldnt say that Evangelion is better or worse. That would be like comparing oranges to apples. Just..diffrent. Though I must admit Evangelion never instilled this sort of obsession in me. But it is something completly different.

I first saw Berserk on my own and became deeply obsessed (as many have -_^). Then my sister who is sort of a anime fan but is more the chobits inuyasha type (cant watch an anime without a love story type person). At first she paid no attention to it. I had to nail her to the chair and make her watch it. My persistance paid off. Though she is not as big a fan as i am. She does enjoy it. But the ending did turn her off to the rest of the anime/manga."Ide rather not continue watching/reading it if its all going to be depressing". I guess we all have our own opinions. ::)

Nabeshin

Herald of God Hand
Cloud Strife said:
My brother only hates it because he says Evangelion is better I say he's gay!!! So uh, Gennon, how did it turn out

I wouldnt say that Evangelion is better or worse. That would be like comparing oranges to apples. Just..diffrent. Though I must admit Evangelion never instilled this sort of obsession in me. But it is something completly different.

I think the deal with Eva, Lain and similar series, at least for me, is that they're not substantial enough to pull a person in to the extent that Berserk does. Eva is 26 eps and two movies, and it has neat characters and goes through a lot of cool, interesting concepts, but after those episodes are over the series is pretty much wrapped up. You can debate and theorize about the characters and about the events to some extent, but compared to Berserk the series is pretty cut-and-dry. Lain is 13 eps and once you've got all the events sorted out there are a few points you can debate but again, the series is pretty much wrapped up in a nutshell. In the Berserk world, on the other hand, so much is left unsaid and unexplained that you can spend forever contemplating the meaning of causality and the Idea's role in the world, Guts and Griffith's relationship and ultimate destiny, whether or not GUTS IS AN EFL!!, and similar things.

C

castrateme

Nabeshin said:
Cloud Strife said:

I think the deal with Eva, Lain and similar series, at least for me, is that they're not substantial enough to pull a person in to the extent that Berserk does. Eva is 26 eps and two movies, and it has neat characters and goes through a lot of cool, interesting concepts, but after those episodes are over the series is pretty much wrapped up. You can debate and theorize about the characters and about the events to some extent, but compared to Berserk the series is pretty cut-and-dry. Lain is 13 eps and once you've got all the events sorted out there are a few points you can debate but again, the series is pretty much wrapped up in a nutshell. In the Berserk world, on the other hand, so much is left unsaid and unexplained that you can spend forever contemplating the meaning of causality and the Idea's role in the world, Guts and Griffith's relationship and ultimate destiny, whether or not GUTS IS AN EFL!!, and similar things.

You make some good points about how much is left unexplained in the Berserk world, thus making it more alluring. However, you have to realize that Berserk is not finished yet (and is most likely FAR from finished), and by the end, Miura may dish out a lot of answers to the mysteries surrounding the series, thus ending much of the discussion on it. Much like what has already happened to Lain and Evangelion.

Oh well, at this point in time, I think Eva is slightly better than Berserk, but that's just me. I'm not going to go into the details of why (unless you want to PM me asking why), because I don't want to go further off-topic that I already am.

MarkedSwordsman

Am I cool or what?
I wouldn't watch it with my family. I did watch it with my step-brother and his friend, but those don't count as they are basically close friends. We watched the entire series in 2 days. :)

Top Bottom