Controversy over Modern Warfare 2

MASSIVE SPOILERS

If you don't want Modern Warfare 2 spoiling at all for you, go away.
Otherwise, watch this video:
http://www.viddler.com/explore/Destructoid/videos/1099/

Now, the same video was taken down by Activision over copyright infringement, so it is legit. (The guy here just cammed the video before it got taken off YouTube, for evidence of this, see here on Google:

LINK

and again when you actually click on the youtube video:

LINK.

In one of the levels, you control a terrorist shooting innocent civilians through an airport.

Infinity Ward, the developers of the game on the level depicted in the video:

"The scene establishes the depth of evil and the cold bloodedness of a rogue Russian villain and his unit. By establishing that evil, it adds to the urgency of the player’s mission to stop them," explains Infinity Ward. "Players have the option of skipping over the scene. At the beginning of the game, there are two 'checkpoints' where the player is advised that some people may find an upcoming segment disturbing. These checkpoints can’t be disabled.

"Modern Warfare 2 is a fantasy action game designed for intense, realistic game play that mirrors real life conflicts, much like epic, action movies. It is appropriately rated 18 for violent scenes, which means it is intended for those who are 18 and older."

Just interested on people's reactions to this. Me? I'm very interested in this concept, it's a first for video games. Cannot wait to see Jack Thompson and Fox News jump on this.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
I think people should stop the whole "Think of the children! :magni:" panic mantrem. If a parent has a problem with these type of things and doesn't want their child to see this or play it, then be a fucking parent and dont buy it for them. other then that we are all grown up's who can wipe our own asses. I think for the most part we can understand what is going on with out going out and shooting real people.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I think the guy commenting on the video is really overdoing it. When he's saying "it's hilarious" and all it sounds forced to me. Anyway, it might not be very tasteful, but I'm not super-shocked either. You get to play as the bad guys, then no doubt later on you get to play as the good guys gunning them down.

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
I think people should stop the whole "Think of the children! :magni:" panic mantrem. If a parent has a problem with these type of things and doesn't want their child to see this or play it, then be a fucking parent and dont buy it for them. other then that we are all grown up's who can wipe our own asses. I think for the most part we can understand what is going on with out going out and shooting real people.

I think half of the problem is that the parents are detached from video games and don't understand them. They're not used to the technology, therefore it's only their kids who will be playing them. Our generation on the other hand are more than used to it and will know what is best for our children in years to come. The rating is on the front of the game cover, parents should be checking it if they care that damn much, but they don't. It's all hypocrisy, but the parents and the media want to blame the games. Remember the Mass Effect sex scene controversy? That was so taken out of context by Fox News that it was hilarious, they're just so out of touch with reality (hell, the scene was nothing anyway).

We may get more crap off the media about this, but I'm sure this is a good step for video games (developers making more daring moves).

Oburi

All praise Grail
Yea this isn't a big deal unless people make it a big deal, which will no doubt happen. :schierke: It's a video game, end of story. And it's nothing new either. GTA anyone?

. Remember the Mass Effect sex scene controversy? That was so taken out of context by Fox News that it was hilarious, they're just so out of touch with reality (hell, the scene was nothing anyway).

Yea that was ridiculous. Seems like the people that this offends most are the people who have the least understanding of what they are bashing.

SaiyajinNoOuji

Henry Spencer said:
I think half of the problem is that the parents are detached from video games and don't understand them. They're not used to the technology, therefore it's only their kids who will be playing them. Our generation on the other hand are more than used to it and will know what is best for our children in years to come. The rating is on the front of the game cover, parents should be checking it if they care that damn much, but they don't. It's all hypocrisy, but the parents and the media want to blame the games. Remember the Mass Effect sex scene controversy? That was so taken out of context by Fox News that it was hilarious, they're just so out of touch with reality (hell, the scene was nothing anyway).

We may get more crap off the media about this, but I'm sure this is a good step for video games (developers making more daring moves).
This may have been true about 15 years ago but man, video games have been with us for quite some time now. Our generation are the parents now.

Well, at least you'll be better at the parenting then, dude.

My point is, the ignorance continues onward regardless. Video games do get blamed for quite a bit. Remember when Jack Thompson was blaming a school shooting on Grand Theft Auto. And video games have been with us for well over 20 years, let alone 15. It's just that since kids are brought up badly, the media want to cause a stir about it and push the general public into a panic. I certainly don't see the music or movie industries getting as much abuse from the media in the past few years.

My biggest fear is that it doesn't go the way of the Aussies and we have video games censored like crazy (and get more games get banned too).

SaiyajinNoOuji

Henry Spencer said:
Well, at least you'll be better at the parenting then, dude.

My point is, the ignorance continues onward regardless. Video games do get blamed for quite a bit. Remember when Jack Thompson was blaming a school shooting on Grand Theft Auto. And video games have been with us for well over 20 years, let alone 15. It's just that since kids are brought up badly, the media want to cause a stir about it and push the general public into a panic. I certainly don't see the music or movie industries getting as much abuse from the media in the past few years.

My biggest fear is that it doesn't go the way of the Aussies and have video games censored like crazy (and games get banned too).
Oh jesus I hope not, then again I am living in Japan so, they have tons of weird and offensive shit over here. On topic though the other reason to dislike Mordern warefare 2 is their lack of giving the PC versiont he ability to make dedicated game servers! No Dedicated PC servers, in MY Modern Warfare 2 Game? It's more likely then you think. :troll:

:schnoz:

That may be the most controversial thing after all; PC gamers getting shafted! Again!

Never knew that, seems a bit ridiculous. I always imagined the game would play better on a PC (then again, I wouldn't know; I have a shitty PC).

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Henry Spencer said:
Remember the Mass Effect sex scene controversy? That was so taken out of context by Fox News that it was hilarious, they're just so out of touch with reality (hell, the scene was nothing anyway).

The difference is the sex scene in Mass Effect was completely innocuous. Harmless in every way, except for religious extremists and crazed, senseless, irresponsible parents. On the other hand, here we have what the media have been looking for all those years in order to take a giant collective dump on video games: a high profile title realistically replicating a terrorist attack, allowing you to be the terrorist killing innocent people. It has a basis in real events, it's a sensitive topic with all the shootings in schools and all, and I could easily see it become a giant shitstorm.

SaiyajinNoOuji

Aazealh said:
The difference is the sex scene in Mass Effect was completely innocuous. Harmless in every way, except for religious extremists and crazed, senseless, irresponsible parents. On the other hand, here we have what the media have been looking for all those years in order to take a giant collective dump on video games: a high profile title realistically replicated a terrorist attack, allowing you to be the terrorist killing innocent people. It has a basis in real events, it's a sensitive topic with all the shootings in schools and all, and I could easily see it become a giant shitstorm.
haha what a twisted world we live in where this gets more attention then the 30 republicans that said rape is ok.

I own MW2 for the pc and frankly IWnet is amazing. I can insta-find full games always. People are crying becuase IW isnt going to give them servers to exploit on(like scripting your xp gains in world at war..) . But I seriously think IW took the best of cod 4 and put it in mw2. Story mode was amazingly fun, a bit short though but it looks like their going to follow bethesda and other companies that finish the story mode in DLC packs, and frankly for as adrenaline pumping as it was it was just as crisp and imaginative and beautiful to look at.

As for the "No Russian" level you technically don't need to kill a single innocent person in it to get through it. Its more of a horrifying walkthrough in a day in the life of a terrorist. Also the game contains a mission skip option for the parts that they have gotten feedback in beta testing as being too brutal. So you really can set the game for as violent as you like(and turn off blood if you don't like that either)

The graphics are the same way. If you can run MW 1 okay I think you can run mw2 just fine as well(minus antialiasing, textures and shadows heh thats what I'm doing). There is still tons of exploding objects everywhere which is a neat touch. All in all I say if you like shooters, get it, it's a really well done game. But I may be biased becuase I am not a fan boy for any video game and I honestly DO try to have a good honest laugh(while murdering people!) with games.

Finally, I really think the forums packed with cry babies about the no dedicated servers thing or leaning, etc...play it for your self and find out. be a scientist and experiment!

:ganishka:

Hahaha ya, I've seen that video before Bob, one of my friends that is currently serving in the millitary got a kick out of it.

I think the whole thing is being blown out of proportion and it is the fact it is in an airport that stirring up this controversy. I mean there is a lot worse in many other video games and movies and they don't nearly get the same amount of controversy as this does. The developers were trying to one up themselves over the first Modern Warfare which is why I think they put this in the first place, just to get people talking.

Oburi

All praise Grail
So whats up with this aim lock thiing? I heard that its a new feature and sometimes I think I see people do it online but i have no idea how. Can anyone explain it to me?

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
EndlessSky said:
I think the whole thing is being blown out of proportion and it is the fact it is in an airport that stirring up this controversy. I mean there is a lot worse in many other video games and movies and they don't nearly get the same amount of controversy as this does. The developers were trying to one up themselves over the first Modern Warfare which is why I think they put this in the first place, just to get people talking.

It's mostly the part where you are aiding in the slaughter of civilians, as the villains carry move forward in a very calm in collected manner. This is the sort of thing I can see actually happening in real life, and that is why it bothers me so much.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
It's mostly the part where you are aiding in the slaughter of civilians, as the villains carry move forward in a very calm in collected manner. This is the sort of thing I can see actually happening in real life, and that is why it bothers me so much.

I think that's the point. Honestly I'm glad they put something like that in. I don't want saturday morning cartoon villains in my realism games.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Soli said:
I think that's the point. Honestly I'm glad they put something like that in. I don't want saturday morning cartoon villains in my realism games.

Seriously man, it's suppose to be a little disturbing, and well... mission accomplished. Having said that, the level was really great, and personally I didn't kill any civilians (ok maybe one) but I was caught up into the realism and it was as shocking for me as some real life event.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Soli said:

I know that's the point, but I was giving an explanation as to why it would be controversial.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
One of this year's best:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/1118-Call-of-Duty-Modern-Warfare-2

Haha, great review. Seriously though; nerf 1887. I know it's the gun from terminator, but that doesn't make it more amazing than ALL modern technology.

Top Bottom