Dragon Age: Origins

The hardest thing about this game is not having enough space to hold all the crap i find. I only found 2 places to buy backpacks at so annoying. So far I finished both DLC areas, Denirum, Redcliff,And the farest area with the elves. Just started the circle mage tower and I have to say it gets really freaky when you get to a point it becomes very very different and I don't know if I like the direction but its still cool. I also got 2 party members to shack up with me in camp pretty sweet Aaz should make some screens of that :ubik: j/k lol.

What was your fave moment in the game? I think mine was unlocking the arcane warrior that was a pretty sweet moment and the sadest moment for me so far was Redcliff maybe my choice wasn't the best :magni:

Saephon

Die young and save yourself
I'm only about 15 hours in, and started the Circle Tower segment a bit early because I'd heard from others that getting Wynn asap helps a lot on the healing side of things (And it does). At first I wasn't too thrilled about the confusing nature of the dungeon, but after completing it, it's my favorite questline so far. I won't spoil anything, but I thoroughly enjoyed the abilities you acquire while making your way to the Demon who presides over the tower.

And I just became a Berserker today. Mmm. :beast:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Breed1Ghost said:
The hardest thing about this game is not having enough space to hold all the crap i find. ... I finished both DLC areas,
Go back to the Warden's Tower. You may find a way to help you out.

What was your fave moment in the game? I think mine was unlocking the arcane warrior that was a pretty sweet moment and the sadest moment for me so far was Redcliff maybe my choice wasn't the best :magni:
It's hard for me to say my favorite, because I'm only about 40% through the game, but it would probably have to be toward the climax of the Orzammar quest chain.

I manage to get at least one awesome screenshot in tonight:

dragonage-dragon.jpg

Achievement earned: Dragonslayer :guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
SimplyEd said:
DA:O looks great so far but i'm still putting my purchase on hold until they release a copy that contains all the DLC and otherwise distributed bonus material.

Uh, that's the "Deluxe Edition" I bought from Steam on day 1 for 54.99€.

SimplyEd said:
there'll also be some new missions for Mass Effect 1, which really surprised me after all that time.

That seems rather pointless considering Mass Effect 2 is about to come out.

Breed1Ghost said:
The hardest thing about this game is not having enough space to hold all the crap i find.

I'm an extreme hoarder but it's been manageable for me, especially with the box in the Warden's Keep. And you'll find more backpacks over time; I can currently carry 120 items.

Breed1Ghost said:
I also got 2 party members to shack up with me in camp pretty sweet Aaz should make some screens of that :ubik: j/k lol.

Haha no way, that's for the player's eyes only! :slan:

Breed1Ghost said:
What was your fave moment in the game?

Hard to say. The game has been very consistent so far. I'm most pleased with it in its entirety.

Walter said:
Achievement earned: Dragonslayer

Very nice! Congrats! :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
The next DLC was announced today: Return to Ostagar. Should be out this "holiday season." Which Im assuming will be sometime mid December. Priced at what equates to $5.

Here's the link with pics and more info: http://dragonage.bioware.com/addon

Spoilers for those who haven't played Dragon Age yet:
Apparently you go there to reclaim former King Cailan's gaudy golden armor. It also adds "A second chance to add Dog to your party". Who the fuck messed that up that they'd need a second chance? :schierke:

I have to say, it's not a terribly exciting setting, given the potential for additional material in this game. Seems very short-sighted. I hope to see a lot more ambitious material in the future.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
It also adds "A second chance to add Dog to your party". Who the fuck messed that up that they'd need a second chance? :schierke:

Don't laugh, one of my friends did. :ganishka:

Walter said:
I have to say, it's not a terribly exciting setting, given the potential for additional material in this game. Seems very short-sighted. I hope to see a lot more ambitious material in the future.

I wouldn't expect anything grand so soon after the launch though... In fact I'm a bit afraid that they're already announcing more content. Sounds like I'm going to spend a mountain of cash on this game. Anyway, this is neat, but essentially trivial stuff. The real additions will come, IMHO, in the form of full campaigns.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
haha I don't know why Walter, but your screen shot just made me think of the Flash Gordon theme song by Queen..

"FLASH! Ahaaaahhhhaaaa! He'll save everyone one of us!" :ganishka:

Man this game looks tempting to get but I don't have enough time! :mozgus:

I couldn't get into Balder's Gate but I did get into Neverwinter Nights... would I like this game? I am aware that it is pretty difficult so you will need to use the pause button to really use tactics for some of the battles... I also like Drakenseig (or what ever it was called). It seems similar.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
SaiyajinNoOuji said:
I couldn't get into Balder's Gate but I did get into Neverwinter Nights... would I like this game? I am aware that it is pretty difficult so you will need to use the pause button to really use tactics for some of the battles...

If you liked Neverwinter Nights then chances are you will like Dragon Age: Origins. And well, the pause mechanic is an integral part of the game, it's part of what gives it its tactical interest.

Walter said:
Spoilers for those who haven't played Dragon Age yet:
Apparently you go there to reclaim former King Cailan's gaudy golden armor. It also adds "A second chance to add Dog to your party". Who the fuck messed that up that they'd need a second chance? :schierke:

You'll be surprised, I believe the Human Noble is the only one that gets it in the origin story, The way I got it was I had to go out of my way in ostagar and talk to the guy at the kennel that gives a side quest to get the dog. It's easy to overlook and your just running through doing the main story line. I actually did the quest but by the time I came back the dog was already dead in the kennel so I missed it.

There is a lot more to it than just the pause mechanic though, you can many many abilities that you can use and learning how to use all your companions abilities with each other has a good level of strategy to it as well. For example distracting a enemy with one character, while getting in position with your rogue or combining spells together.

Aww Aaz those would be the most epic scans ever =D. But I can see your point they have to work hard for the goodies and now my fiance thinks I'm sleeping with other people hahaha oh boy dug my own grave. The dragon was a pain in the ass all but shale died I was not ready for that dragon lol.

Since I just started the mage tower I found my second backpack can only hold 90 things =( which sucks must find more. The wardens box is awesome I am glad I have it its holding my dragon scale plat, my heavy plate, and the quest armor set Juggernaut which is ok nothing beats the dlc armor yet at least nothing with magic properties.

I think the dlc will be nice I was interested in knowing why the king was the way he was since I didn't talk to him much. Ittle be nice to have some closer. And when then make a big dlc I hope they raise the lvl cap and add new skills and abilities.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Breed1Ghost said:
And when then make a big dlc I hope they raise the lvl cap and add new skills and abilities.
There actually isn't a level cap in the game. There's just a limited amount of experience to be gained from all the quests. Adding more quests gives more exp which will of course, raise the achievable levels.

yesmilord

千年王国
Hey guys, I think I've been going a little bit overboard playing this game :isidro: Something like 30 hours logged in the past two days :beast:
I must say that this was indeed my cup of tea and as soon as I get some cooler looking gear I'll post up some rad screenshots.

I went with a female human noble warrior, dual wielding, champion/berserker. It's loads of fun, and the way I set up my party (three warriors and a caster), I pretty much just run into the thick of things and use all of my aoe knockdowns then spam aoe melee attacks while my caster just heals and buffs everyone :serpico: The only trouble I have is dealing with emissaries at times, since I have to go pretty far out of my way to reach them with three melee guys. I'll probably just learned some ranged interrupt on Morrigan, or start packing points into Alistair's templar talents to make up for it. Speaking of Alistair, I totally hooked up with him. Gawd I need to chill out about this game already :farnese: :iva:

edit - those of you who are further ahead in the game, I have a question:

What level did you guys attempt the high dragon atop the mountain at Haven? (where you did the Urn quest) My friend told me to wait till I was higher (I was 11 at the time)

yesmilord said:
Hey guys, I think I've been going a little bit overboard playing this game :isidro: Something like 30 hours logged in the past two days :beast:
I must say that this was indeed my cup of tea and as soon as I get some cooler looking gear I'll post up some rad screenshots.

I went with a female human noble warrior, dual wielding, champion/berserker. It's loads of fun, and the way I set up my party (three warriors and a caster), I pretty much just run into the thick of things and use all of my aoe knockdowns then spam aoe melee attacks while my caster just heals and buffs everyone :serpico: The only trouble I have is dealing with emissaries at times, since I have to go pretty far out of my way to reach them with three melee guys. I'll probably just learned some ranged interrupt on Morrigan, or start packing points into Alistair's templar talents to make up for it. Speaking of Alistair, I totally hooked up with him. Gawd I need to chill out about this game already :farnese: :iva:

edit - those of you who are further ahead in the game, I have a question:

What level did you guys attempt the high dragon atop the mountain at Haven? (where you did the Urn quest) My friend told me to wait till I was higher (I was 11 at the time)

I was about lvl 11 or 12 maybe 13ish

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Breed1Ghost said:
my fiance thinks I'm sleeping with other people hahaha oh boy dug my own grave.

You're safe as long as she doesn't know the glory of Liara T'Soni, supreme being of the universe, to whom paltry, unevolved human females cannot compare.

... :troll:

yesmilord said:

Speaking of which:

FlyAway.jpg

Charnel.jpg

Fade.jpg

MightyBlow02.jpg

MightyBlow03.jpg

Crossbow.jpg

Headswillroll.jpg

Elfman-Theory.jpg

Werewolf01.jpg

Werewolf02.jpg

Werewolf03.jpg

Werewolf04.jpg

yesmilord said:

I gave it a shot at level... 12 I think. For fun, because I knew what the result would be (see the screenshots I posted on page 2).

Damn I wish I could
be a werewolf or get a char they were awesome and I see you killed that dirty elf Aaz lol I was to nice and made him break the curse
I don't know why but I find it to hard to be really evil in this game or games like this I always play the heroic guy that sometimes does thing's in the gray maybe my next play through I will be a tottal duche.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Breed1Ghost said:
... I don't know why but I find it to hard to be really evil in this game or games like this I always play the heroic guy that sometimes does thing's in the gray maybe my next play through I will be a tottal duche.
The game actually surprises me with the amount of evil choices it allows you to make for KEY events. However I agree that the moment-to-moment choices don't really give much leeway in how you respond to something -- essentially forcing you to do the "right" thing, but letting you act like an asshole to people along the way.

My guy has taken the evil path in most instances, even though I'm not consciously trying to be evil. I'm just doing what I feel is right in this harsh world on the brink of destruction. I'm trying to save the world here, not play hopscotch. But it usually results in the characters calling me names, or in the case of Morrigan, swooning. :casca: I stand by the achievement name I earned through one of the choices I made: "Pragmatist."

On a completely separate note, I know there are 4 subclasses for each of the three character classes, but I'd really like there to be even more. 4 unique abilities per subclass isn't enough for me. I want a REAL dark knight character with many, many abilities, like the basic ability to leech life off a living target instead of a corpse. I'm hoping additional classes will be added in the future, even if I have to play a mod to see that happen.

PS: I got a newer set of armor with unique stats — Superior Dragon Plate armor. I've since ditched the Blood Dragon armor, even though its stats are indeed slightly better. Still, hopefully that will help distinguish myself from Aaz' character :void:

Man, I'm having a lot more fun reading this thread than I do playing a lot of games out there. I can't even imagine how great the game itself must be. :serpico:

The Blood Mage subclass is beyond tempting. And I'm loving the lore I've read so far. Unfortunately I'm severely lacking in funds so I hope you guys don't mind if I play the game vicariously through you. :ganishka:

That's how I feel I am trying to save the world not make everyone happy. So I do try to be more good then anything and go with the gray area since I have not seen one a true good act except
when you save Stern insted of leaving him in the cage to die
But it is a really grim world I feel like I am playing a warhammer fantasy game then I am a dnd game. If demons souls combat system was in this world it totally would be warhammer. But add a injured body part mechanic like in Bushido blade I think that would be pretty interesting I dunno.

Also agree on only having 4 abilities for a sub class sucks. Even if you could have 16 granted you unlock all 4 for your dude and or party member I would have been content if each person had 2 or 3 sub classes with their own special skills and abilities I think that would have been cool. Like you wanted a dark knight lets see what would a dark knight do? As a skill I would suggest he would take less spirit dmg, skills that boost stealing life, and maybe one more skill i cant think of any at the moment. Now for abilities of course stealing life through melee, have the abilities like the mage does but you do it to a party member to heal them insted of stealing from them, can maybe make a shadow of himself and one other abilities that causes fear.

Walter said:
The game actually surprises me with the amount of evil choices it allows you to make for KEY events. However I agree that the moment-to-moment choices don't really give much leeway in how you respond to something -- essentially forcing you to do the "right" thing, but letting you act like an asshole to people along the way.

My guy has taken the evil path in most instances, even though I'm not consciously trying to be evil. I'm just doing what I feel is right in this harsh world on the brink of destruction. I'm trying to save the world here, not play hopscotch. But it usually results in the characters calling me names, or in the case of Morrigan, swooning. :casca: I stand by the achievement name I earned through one of the choices I made: "Pragmatist."

On a completely separate note, I know there are 4 subclasses for each of the three character classes, but I'd really like there to be even more. 4 unique abilities per subclass isn't enough for me. I want a REAL dark knight character with many, many abilities, like the basic ability to leech life off a living target instead of a corpse. I'm hoping additional classes will be added in the future, even if I have to play a mod to see that happen.

PS: I got a newer set of armor with unique stats — Superior Dragon Plate armor. I've since ditched the Blood Dragon armor, even though its stats are indeed slightly better. Still, hopefully that will help distinguish myself from Aaz' character :void:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
On a completely separate note, I know there are 4 subclasses for each of the three character classes, but I'd really like there to be even more. 4 unique abilities per subclass isn't enough for me.

It's appropriate for the max level in the game. If you've maxed 2 specializations, a full section of talents/spells and the general class ones you won't have many points left. Honestly I approve of what they've done with it, privileging versatility versus extreme specialization. My only remark would be that there's less diversity for a warrior as opposed to a mage because of the classification of talents by weapon.

Walter said:
I want a REAL dark knight character with many, many abilities, like the basic ability to leech life off a living target instead of a corpse.
Breed1Ghost said:
Now for abilities of course stealing life through melee

That would so break the game. I'm sure you can see why a self-healing warrior would be overpowered. And I assure you that Devour is very powerful when used well.

Breed1Ghost said:
That's how I feel I am trying to save the world not make everyone happy. So I do try to be more good then anything and go with the gray area since I have not seen one a true good act

I've done plenty of what I consider to be truly good actions.

Breed1Ghost said:
Also agree on only having 4 abilities for a sub class sucks. Even if you could have 16 granted you unlock all 4 for your dude and or party member I would have been content if each person had 2 or 3 sub classes with their own special skills and abilities I think that would have been cool.

Having all the specializations at once would kind of ruin the concept of specialization though.

Breed1Ghost said:
Like you wanted a dark knight lets see what would a dark knight do? As a skill I would suggest he would take less spirit dmg, skills that boost stealing life, and maybe one more skill i cant think of any at the moment. Now for abilities of course stealing life through melee, have the abilities like the mage does but you do it to a party member to heal them insted of stealing from them, can maybe make a shadow of himself and one other abilities that causes fear.

Reaver features:

+1 constitution, +5 physical stamina

Devour: The reaver revels in death, absorbing the lingering energy of all nearby corpses, each of which partially restores the reaver’s own health.

Frightening Appearance: This talent focuses the reaver’s unsettling countenance into a weapon, making a target cower in fear unless it passes a mental resistance check. Frightening Appearance also increases the effectiveness of Taunt and Threaten.

Aura of Pain: Radiating an aura of psychic pain, the reaver takes constant spirit damage while this mode is active, as do all enemies nearby.

Blood Frenzy: Driven by pain, the reaver gains larger bonuses to damage whenever health decreases. Because this mode also incurs a penalty to health regeneration, the reaver flirts with death the longer the frenzy persists.

As someone who's played "dark knight" characters in every game he has been able to for over 10 years, let me tell you that those are pretty good. I think Frightening Appearance might be a little underpowered (I would have preferred an AoE instead of it being targeted), but that's all I can complain about. Those talents do not cross the line between warrior and mage, they do not make your character a hybrid, yet they can be insanely powerful. And most of all they're fun and challenging to play. They don't overpower you.

You can't ask to have a warrior with the abilities of a Blood Mage and without their inconvenients.

yesmilord

千年王国
I agree with Aaz about the specializations. They're flavors added to each class to compliment a playstyle and/or provide support to a weakness. For example, my (somewhat non-linear I believe) setup of 3 warriors and 1 healer has a pretty hard time with emissaries that like to sit in the far back, therefore investing points into a templar has served me well. I now have Alastair on permanent caster duty, especially after he learned Holy Smite. With that said, I think many people came into the game with the idea that specializations would have a drastic effect on their characters. And in the end, it really doesn't.

About the good/bad actions, I sometimes regret what I do, and ever since the "incident"
killing the boy :(
at Redcliffe, I've been VERY cautious about my actions. Unfortunately, choosing the "good guy" option often means you'll have to do more work, but the rewards are generally worth the effort.

The only complaints I have so far are some pathing issues that cause characters to go a little nutso sometimes, requiring me to manually move them quite often AND that many sustained abilities aren't that great, considering you're limiting your burst potential by a significant amount. As a champion, I have a boost, but honestly I'd rather save my stamina for more knockdowns and repeated use of high-damage moves, or for Momentum, which is probably one of the better sustained abilities in the game.

And, they're not much, but I'd like to share a bit of the fun I've had over the past few days. Many thanks to Aaz for telling me to purchase the deluxe edition - it was most DEFINITELY the correct choice :guts:

Screenshot20091120231318046.jpg
Meet my ... *inhale* female human noble warrior berserker champion *exhale* SKURU of the Legion!​

Screenshot20091121003816250.jpg
Another day in the life of​

Screenshot20091120234346687.jpg
My character! On fire!​

Screenshot20091120233834531.jpg
My 'Magnificent Trio' (plus Morrigan who is not featured in ANY of my pictures :judo:)​

Screenshot20091121004022046.jpg
If you were wondering if dual wielding was any good...​

Screenshot20091120231530156.jpg
More vanity shots​

Screenshot20091120225750437.jpg
And one more​

Screenshot20091120235337546.jpg
And of course the ultimate vanity screenshot that everyone has to post​

Screenshot20091120234106484.jpg
:farnese:

Rock on.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Hey yesmilord, nice screenshots! :guts:

I wanted to get one of my character on fire as well but haven't got to so far.

yesmilord said:
AND that many sustained abilities aren't that great, considering you're limiting your burst potential by a significant amount.

How you use your abilities is up to you though. And if you choose to put points in Willpower, you'll have a stamina pool big enough to be able to use most of your sustained abilities as well as your activated ones. I've always got 4 sustained abilities on myself (Precise Striking, Indomitable, Threaten, Berserk) and I almost systematically launch a 5th one (either Aura of Pain or Blood Frenzy).

yesmilord

千年王国
Walter said:
Well that settles it, I'm dual wielding for my next character :ubik:

Haha! I'm probably making it cooler than it really is, but I'm having a BLAST. That and my damage output is quite absurd (for my level I think). Each hand does about 40-50 damage on regular attacks. I think Sten on my team, who uses a pretty strong 2H, only hits for about 60 with his. This is without any buffs! She is my hot knife through butter, and I love her!

Aazealh said:
How you use your abilities is up to you though. And if you choose to put points in Willpower, you'll have a stamina pool big enough to be able to use most of your sustained abilities as well as your activated ones. I've always got 4 sustained abilities on myself (Precise Striking, Indomitable, Threaten, Berserk) and I almost systematically launch a 5th one (either Aura of Pain or Blood Frenzy).

You're right about that. Stacking sustained abilities like that can be very potent, which just means you have enough 'passive' power to make up for the lack of activated abilities. I've been trying to balance both, but unfortunately that just doesn't fit my playstyle. Because my character's damage output per-hit with dual wielding is so high, I'd rather her just be able to spam her main attacks: Punisher (freaking amazing damage), Dual Weapon Sweep (low cost, spammable aoe that is also powerful on single targets), and Whirlwind (a primary aoe attack). The other thing is I spend a lot of stamina spamming my knockdowns as well, so in the end it's probably just a preference call I suppose.

Aazealh said:
I wanted to get one of my character on fire as well but haven't got to so far.

Good luck to you! Fire in this game looks amazing!
Fire from those lava-looking spawns or the dragon traps stay on for a while, so that's where I got mine!
edit: I think I'm going to put fire runes on my weapons now because of my own comment lol.

Also, my next character will be a mage. When I'm not just healing with Morrigan, she has some of the most amazing crowd control in the game! Sleep, Blizzard, and Cone of Cold wreck all sorts of face!

My dmg is pretty good with my sword and shield combo. I pretty much use every sustained I can, I have Morrigan throw up aoe buff for ice weapons, and the female thief cant remember her name throw on her aoe bard buff for more dmg ( or is it attack? cant remember ) and crit chance. then for me I use the Precise strikes buff, a shield buff, berserk, and sometimes the other one that hurts you cant remember the name. My 1 handed sword does 11.50 dmg + 12 thunder(+5/+4/+3 runes.) Its pretty sweet setup I take little to no dmg unless its magical, and I deal about 70 to 80 dmg a hit +12. My highest dmg is 150 with that berserk sword stab abilities. Death blow helps alot I feel like I have stamina all the time even tho I can do 1 or 2 moves max. I am just upset because I missed out on a quest for possibly a awesome sword
It was like a superman moment that I experienced as a random encounterand got this chunk of space ore but I stoopidly started over cause I thought I messed something up. But I got the dragon scale quest which was ok but could have been better

Other then leveling and giving other party members decent armor I don't really bother with them I don't want to be bothered really with that aspect I don't know if it is just me but I really only care for the toon I make and changing a tactic or too other then that they are just meat Shields to help me out :troll: But I will say I find them interesting to talk to in camp I do really like learning about them that I like alot.

Top Bottom