MLB Playoffs '09

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Sports talk!

Watching the baseball playoffs, rooting for my beloved Dodgers, and loving all the match ups and even potential match ups to come, except where Rockies/Phillies series is concerned... does one of them really have to advance? Not that they're bad, it's just personal.

Anyway, my dream would be to see the Dodgers in the World Series of course, but if it were against the Yankees, or especially the Angels, that would be amazing!

Dodgers SWEEP THEIR WAY INTO THE NLCS! :guts:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=291010124

Darklink286 said:
Just got home from work with my first volume of Vagabond! :guts:
It'll take me a while to catch up to you guys, but I'll be working at it.
Congrats man, awesome news! Let us know your impressions in the new readers thread when you're ready! :badbone:

P.S. Sports thread was an instant failure, as always, so I just merged it here. Maybe I'll try again during the World Cup. :ganishka:

グリフィス said:
Dodgers SWEEP THEIR WAY INTO THE NLCS! :guts:

P.S. Sports thread was an instant failure, as always, so I just merged it here. Maybe I'll try again during the World Cup. :ganishka:

I didn't see this before. Congratulations for you and your Dodgers. :serpico:

I'm a Braves fan myself though the haven't done too well lately. Since they are not doing so well I focus on hating the Yankees, as long as they don't win everything is fine. Recently I've supported the Red Sox also because they share my hate for the evil empire. They don't seem to have what it takes to win this year though.

While we are talking sports, what are your thoughts on Shaq and LeBron playing together? I hope they do well but I'm skeptical. Even though Shaq claims to be more mature I'm not sure it'll work out for the best. And how about that Artest joining your beloved Lakers? That could mean problems, big time.

Griffith

m said:
I didn't see this before. Congratulations for you and your Dodgers. :serpico:

Thank you, I just hope last year's experience in the NLCS helps them fare better this year. So far it's been the same script, in the divisional series EVERYTHING went right for us, so I just hope it keeps going that way this time.

m said:
I'm a Braves fan myself though the haven't done too well lately. Since they are not doing so well I focus on hating the Yankees, as long as they don't win everything is fine. Recently I've supported the Red Sox also because they share my hate for the evil empire. They don't seem to have what it takes to win this year though.

Yeah, the last time the Braves were in the playoff was in '05 right, against the Astros? I remember they played a ridiculously long 18 or so inning game!

As for rooting against the Yankees or the Red Sox, I've actually flipped on that one, I'm rooting for the Yankees to do well (not win it all of course), and for the Sox to get swept by the Angels. Here's my rationale, the Yankees have choked and been so futile in the playoffs the last 9 years, that they've kinda been humbled in my eyes. Like, you can't really be the "Evil Empire" when you lose in the first round to an underdog every year. It's pathetic at this point, and actually kinda bums me out because it's just not the same bad guy to root against, like finding out Darth Vader is a wuss in the Star Wars prequels. So, I'm hoping this new stadium will be like their Death Star and the Empire will strike back. Plus, I want my team to be the one to beat the Yankees. =)

As for the Red Sox, I actually got to go see the '04 team in person and was happy for them when they finally won it all, so let's compare them to the Rebels... only if the Rebels became the Empire after they won! If the Yankees have been humbled the last 5 years, then the Red Sox have ironically ascended to their evil throne. They've been the best team, they spend a ton of money, they've accrued an obnoxious national following, they've won two World Series, they traded or let go of all their interesting characters and to become a white bread team like the Yankees used to be, they went from underdogs to totally entitled and so are a hypocrasy to boot, and something else... they're scary! Like a slasher movie villain, they're seemingly impossible to kill, coming back from being down 0-3 and 1-3 almost like routine!
Up 2-0 on the Sox, Angels fans are scared the Sox have them right where they want them! :troll:

So, for those reasons, I now root against the new Evil Empire of Red Sox Nation. Still, after the Angels and Yankees, I'd want to see the Red Sox come out of the American league because they still bring the drama, exactly because of the reasons I listed above.

m said:
While we are talking sports, what are your thoughts on Shaq and LeBron playing together? I hope they do well but I'm skeptical. Even though Shaq claims to be more mature I'm not sure it'll work out for the best. And how about that Artest joining your beloved Lakers? That could mean problems, big time.

I think the Cavs will do well no matter what as long as they have LeBron, and I want them to do well... to a point, because nothing would be cooler than a Finals match up between these Lakers and Cavs teams (sorry Boston, our revenge will have to wait =). Of course, I want the Lakers to beat them, which brings us to Ron Ron, which I think is an upgrade over Ariza in the short term (did we have to sign him for 5 years though!?), will make the team tougher, and could make us invincible to use the parlance of Musashi's time. Now, that doesn't mean I'm not scared to death of him exploding, or being selfish, and wrecking the team instead, or that I wouldn't rather have Ariza playing for us for the next 10 years, I would. But, it was a clusterfuck, and I'm still bummed out Ariza stupidly went to the Rockets for essentially less money over some misguided sense of pride, but getting Ron Artest and possibly upgrading as an emergency fallback is about as good a move as you can make in that situation, especially since all the other contenders were similarly taking on risks hoping to beat the Lakers.

UPDATE: DOWN GO THE RED SOX!

UPDATE 2: My reaction upon checking the score of the Niners game: "OH... NO..."

グリフィス said:
As for rooting against the Yankees or the Red Sox, I've actually flipped on that one, I'm rooting for the Yankees to do well (not win it all of course), and for the Sox to get swept by the Angels. Here's my rationale, the Yankees have choked and been so futile in the playoffs the last 9 years, that they've kinda been humbled in my eyes. Like, you can't really be the "Evil Empire" when you lose in the first round to an underdog every year. It's pathetic at this point, and actually kinda bums me out because it's just not the same bad guy to root against, like finding out Darth Vader is a wuss in the Star Wars prequels. So, I'm hoping this new stadium will be like their Death Star and the Empire will strike back. Plus, I want my team to be the one to beat the Yankees. =)

As for the Red Sox, I actually got to go see the '04 team in person and was happy for them when they finally won it all, so let's compare them to the Rebels... only if the Rebels became the Empire after they won! If the Yankees have been humbled the last 5 years, then the Red Sox have ironically ascended to their evil throne. They've been the best team, they spend a ton of money, they've accrued an obnoxious national following, they've won two World Series, they traded or let go of all their interesting characters and to become a white bread team like the Yankees used to be, they went from underdogs to totally entitled and so are a hypocrasy to boot, and something else... they're scary! Like a slasher movie villain, they're seemingly impossible to kill, coming back from being down 0-3 and 1-3 almost like routine!
Up 2-0 on the Sox, Angels fans are scared the Sox have them right where they want them! :troll:

So, for those reasons, I now root against the new Evil Empire of Red Sox Nation. Still, after the Angels and Yankees, I'd want to see the Red Sox come out of the American league because they still bring the drama, exactly because of the reasons I listed above.

I definitely hear you but my hate for the Yankees is so deep that I don't care if there is a new Evil Empire if that's what it takes to keep them down. In any case I'll continue rooting against them and perhaps we'll both root for the Dodgers in the World Series (even if I do it for all the wrong reasons)

グリフィス said:
Of course, I want the Lakers to beat them, which brings us to Ron Ron, which I think is an upgrade over Ariza in the short term (did we have to sign him for 5 years though!?), will make the team tougher, and could make us invincible to use the parlance of Musashi's time. Now, that doesn't mean I'm not scared to death of him exploding, or being selfish, and wrecking the team instead, or that I wouldn't rather have Ariza playing for us for the next 10 years, I would. But, it was a clusterfuck, and I'm still bummed out Ariza stupidly went to the Rockets for essentially less money over some misguided sense of pride, but getting Ron Artest and possibly upgrading as an emergency fallback is about as good a move as you can make in that situation, especially since all the other contenders were similarly taking on risks hoping to beat the Lakers.

Perhaps Phil Jackson will get out of him what he got out of Rodman. I think it will be interesting to see.

グリフィス said:
UPDATE: DOWN GO THE RED SOX!

I was following the game on line but stopped on the seventh inning. When I read the result this morning I couldn't believe it. Just like you said I was kind of expecting one of their comebacks.

Griffith

m said:
I definitely hear you but my hate for the Yankees is so deep that I don't care if there is a new Evil Empire if that's what it takes to keep them down. In any case I'll continue rooting against them and perhaps we'll both root for the Dodgers in the World Series (even if I do it for all the wrong reasons)

Haha, that'd be cool. I just hope the Dodgers get there. Not looking forward to playing the Phillies again if that's how it turns out, though at least it's a real team, unlike the Rockies. :troll:

m said:
Perhaps Phil Jackson will get out of him what he got out of Rodman. I think it will be interesting to see.

Totally forgot to cover that angle, yeah, hopefully Phil and Lamar will keep his head on straight. I know Phil allegedly has wanted this specific challenge for a while.

m said:
I was following the game on line but stopped on the seventh inning. When I read the result this morning I couldn't believe it. Just like you said I was kind of expecting one of their comebacks.

Yeah, I missed it too and couldn't believe the Angels came back down 4 on the Red Sox, their postseason nemesis! Well, it's Yankees or Angels in the World series, so half my dream is already complete.

グリフィス said:
Not looking forward to playing the Phillies again if that's how it turns out, though at least it's a real team, unlike the Rockies. :troll:

So you would prefer the Dodgers face a real team, eh? Let's hope it doesn't end like the first encounter between Musashi and Inshun. :troll:

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
But this is the second time around for the Dodgers to face the Phillies. So I would say they were trained more efficiently by Ineí (Joe) this time around. :guts:

Griffith

Haha, I love this comparison, that's right, it is the second time around, they've been training hard, and like Musashi that time, we have the home field advantage at Chavez Ravine. Anyway, it's pretty simple, if Andre Ethier hits like he did in the last series, batting .500 with 2 homers, 5 extra base hits, 3 RBIs, and 4 runs in 3 games and Manny's bat comes to life like it did in game 3... we may be invincible. :carcus:

But we'll see, the Phillies have the confidence of that World Series in their back pocket. :schierke:

Griffith

Gobolatula said:
One more win and the Phils are on their way to the world series.
You mean three more wins until the Dodgers make it to the World Series! :guts:

Vin Skully after the 2nd Werth home run, "Well, if you're going to spend the whole winter thinking about losing, you might as well get your brain handed to you." :troll:

Griffith

Yeah, I wish I'd put money on the Phillies, like I said in the chat a while back, they're bad dudes, and tonight's game didn't surprise me in the least. Let's see if the Yankees even have the guts to prove Rollins' 5 game prediction wrong and make it a series.

BTW, ESPN has the cheesiest headlines, tonight's for example, describing Cliff Lee's dominating pitching performance: "Complete-Lee In Control"
Pfff, I would have gone with, "Lee Phils Yankees' A-Hole!" :carcus:

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Uf..... Phillies lost game 2. That makes things more interesting at least... But I should probably shut my big yapper for now..... I'm probably jinxing myself.

Griffith

We have series! A.J. Burnett came through, and more surprisingly, the Phillies offense didn't (4 strikeouts for Ryan Howard, yikes). Anyway, looking forward to Andy Pettitte vs. Cole Hamels. Should be interesting, especially since Hamels hasn't been himself so far this postseason, but the Phillies will have the comfort of home field to thrive on.

Here's one reason to root for the Phillies:

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/phillies_hope_to_end_364_day_world

And just think, the Yankees have won in almost... 10 years! :magni:

Griffith

Th3Branded0ne said:
Tonight's 9th inning was very close. Thanks to Damon to start to take the lead at the end. Gobs now the pressure's on the Phillies.

Yeah, exciting stuff, but I think the pressure is actually on the Yankees, not to CHAA-OAK! :magni: :guts:

Walter said:
Vagabond Inn, or Sports Central?

Any post that mentions sports on this board is the de facto sports central around here. =)

Gobolatula said:
Yep... Tonight's gonna be interesting...

Not so far, it was interesting in the top of the first and that's about it. Before tonight I assumed like most others that this series was probably over, but I never understood the strategy of pitching all your guys on three days rest, putting them at a disadvantage, especially with a 3-1 lead. Give the rookie a chance in game 5, and save Burnett for game 6 and give your best a 1-2 punch a chance back in New York. If Girardi is going to pitch a gassed Andy Pettitte on three days rest in game 6, I'll see you in game 7, where the Phillies could bring back Cliff Lee on short rest to compete with Sabathia, who may or may not have his stuff. It ain't over 'til it's over.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
GOOOO PHILS!

What an excitingly aggravating game. Phils were massacring and then suddenly, after Lee's out, the Yankees start creepin up again.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Your new avatar Gobs

oneee.jpg

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
I retire my old avatar:
schierkevatar.jpg

For Branded's edit:
oneee.jpg

I was really hoping for a Phils victory, but we got stomped on. Oh well, at least my nerves can rest... Plus, House is back on next week.

EDIT: Here's the full sized version of Grail's awesome drawing:
baseballschierke.jpg

Griffith

Th3Branded0ne said:
Your new avatar Gobs

oneee.jpg

:ubik:

Sorry about the Phils, Gob, but I wish they'd played like that in the NLCS. I didn't even think the Yankees played that great overall, they could just afford to underachieve more than the Phillies could.

Top Bottom