Losses

I just lost my great grandmother whom I was very close to last night. She was 87 years old. She's been with me since the day I was born and I was her first great-grandchild. It's the first time in my life that I've lost a loved one that close to me. I'm not religious but I'm trying to keep a positive attitude and think it was the best thing for her. I'll miss her but I know it was for the best.

Everybody has losses. I'm not looking for sympathy, but I know alot of other people have been through this before.

I lost both my great grandmothers last year (2008) one in February and one in November. The one that died in February was 100 and from South Carolina. The one that died in November was in her eighties she immagrated to the U.S from Estonia after World War Two when the Soviet Union invaded. Even though I didn't know them that well it was still hard to go through.

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
I'm really sorry to hear about your grandmother. My Grandpa died a few years ago, and It kind of came to a shock to me because he was the first person I was really close to that has died. I'm sure we feel in a similar manner; he was always there, and they were about the same age. I was happy however, that he passed quickly after his stroke - I wouldn't have wanted him to live as half a person, and I know he wouldn't have either. Anyways, it's really just a hard thing to go through, period. Time always makes things better though; I stopped feeling sad after a week or so- just because he was always so happy I couldn't really stay sad. I keep a compass of his on my keychain all the time. Good memories. Take care of yourself. : )

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Sorry for your loss, keep it up. I know it's hard sometimes. My grandfather of 96 years of age passed away in July. The first month was kind of hard just trying to let the time heal. Now it's not as bad but still miss him. I wasn't so close to him, but I still have some good memories of him.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
My grandmother died last month but... she was very old (96) and it was no big deal for the family.

I deal with death differently than others. I like to celebrate life rather than to mourn the loss of it. I hope that when I die, everyone has a big meal and enjoys conversation, not spending too much time to cry over my body. In fact, I'll probably put that in writing in my will, when I get the time.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Walter said:
My grandmother died last month but... she was very old (96) and it was no big deal for the family.

I deal with death differently than others. I like to celebrate life rather than to mourn the loss of it. I hope that when I die, everyone has a big meal and enjoys conversation, not spending too much time to cry over my body. In fact, I'll probably put that in writing in my will, when I get the time.

That's exactly that we do in our family in "Day of the dead"(November 2nd) holiday. We assemble things that person liked, such as music,movies,food and enjoy them. Just like that person was with us that day.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Walter said:
I like to celebrate life rather than to mourn the loss of it. I hope that when I die, everyone has a big meal and enjoys conversation, not spending too much time to cry over my body.

+1

I've lost all of my closest family. Accidents. Not just one.
People come and go. I'm used to live by myself. Too much freedom can be bad though.
To the rest of you, if your loved one was old when he/she died, grow a pair.
Cherish the memories until there's no one else to remember them with, or until you can't remember them yourself. For me, that's probably the part that sucks the most.
Ah, fuck it. Hedonism and debauchery is the way to go.

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
Th3Branded0ne said:
That's exactly that we do in our family in "Day of the dead"(November 2nd) holiday. We assemble things that person liked, such as music,movies,food and enjoy them. Just like that person was with us that day.

That's really cool. I think it would be fantastic if everyone had a celebration of sorts instead of a traditional funeral. Life is such a miracle that it should end with happy memories as opposed to mourning. Although it's surely easier to say it would be nice rather than to put it to practice. Maybe if you're lucky you're whole family will sit around and read berserk and think "what was wrong with this guy?" : P

Nightcrawler, may I ask what you meant by too much freedom can be bad? I'm afraid I didn't understand what you meant in the context of your sentence.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
I'm sorry for your loss, pldg.

I agree with Walter when it comes to celebrating the life of lost loved ones.

My most recent loss happened years ago: my old college roommate. Him and I got to know each other pretty well and enjoyed each other's company. We were both creative types and always working on our stuff at the same time. I'd glance over to watch his videos and he'd look at my cartoons. He died in a car accident a few years after we moved out and it was rough. But nowadays, when I think of our time spent together, I smile and laugh. Plus, I know I'll see him again.

Sad thread, but valuable.

Myself, an aunt of mine who took care of our grandmother until she died last year, got cancer shortly thereafter, and is currently in hospital pumped full of as much painkillers as are available. Expecting a phone call any day now.

Top Bottom