Anyone here practice any martial arts?

4 months of judo training before switching over to brazilian jiu jitsu, haven't looked back since.
Anyone else into martial arts? Or just plain love to punk, kick, strangle people :guts: :guts:

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
billdog said:
4 months of judo training before switching over to brazilian jiu jitsu, haven't looked back since.
Anyone else into martial arts? Or just plain love to punk, kick, strangle people :guts: :guts:

I was doing Hapkido, when working at the grocery store, since the owner is a Hapkido master. I haven't been able to visit him at his studio since I have been out of work.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
15 year veteran wrestler here. It's not a martial arts per say but it does help. :carcus:

I've wrestled around with a few BJJ guy's and I hate those arm bars! Then again that was when I was really young and not as experienced. Not very good at doing submission moves nor have I ever had the chance to do any ground and pound. Oh well though... maybe one of these days! :ganishka:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I trained in Jungyae Moosul, a relatively new Korean martial art, for 7 1/2 years. I was one belt below black when I left.

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Did and learned Army Combatives, however that isn't a traditional martial arts.
However still really cool. : D
SaiyajinNoOuji said:
Not very good at doing submission moves nor have I ever had the chance to do any ground and pound. Oh well though... maybe one of these days! :ganishka:
Have you seen this vid? Maybe you could pull one of these off someplace and get your name engraved in the internets.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4xpOsCcWIw

I did several years of Karate in middle school, but to tell the truth I wasn't all that into it.

SaiyajinNoOuji

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Did and learned Army Combatives, however that isn't a traditional martial arts.
This probably consisted of pulling out your stress card when the instructors started to yell at you! :troll: :ganishka:

I love you still Bob even if you did go Army.

I think it's something like 10 years of shotokan karate, I'm still not any good though. We sometimes incorporate aikido-eqsue Tai Sabaki but to be honest I'd love to just have a go at a completely different martial art, just to see if I could

I also did Judo for a little while, but I really sucked at that :ganishka:

Did a couple years of taekwando when I was I was about 9-13 (until the head instructor mysteriously disapeared and was found weeks later in the back of a truck of a car a thousand miles away, so that ended that). After that was a couple years of Jishin Ryu Jiu-Jitsu, them I moved away, then a couple years of full-contact Kung-fu, because I realized that my standup was really pretty poor.

Plus at the time I was roommates with a couple guys, one of whom was Dutch, over 300lbs, with 0% body-fat. Me, I'm 5'10", 150lbs - sparring with a guy twice your mass, who's also /faster/ than you, is a good way to get humble, bruised, and /good/, all at once.

Last couple years not really anything though, I'm probably out of shape. :azan:

I've been training in Kuk-Sook-Won, a Korean self-defense martial art, for about 9 years :???:. So far I've reached a 2nd degree black belt. This year however, I've been taking the year off due to college.

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
15 year veteran wrestler here. It's not a martial arts per say but it does help. :carcus:

I've wrestled around with a few BJJ guy's and I hate those arm bars! Then again that was when I was really young and not as experienced. Not very good at doing submission moves nor have I ever had the chance to do any ground and pound. Oh well though... maybe one of these days! :ganishka:

Ha, submissions are fun in pure grappling, in a real fight though I think accumulated damage due to strikes is much more effective before going for a sub. Wrestling complemented with BJJ is a nasty mix, they were meant to be crosstrained together. The top control, base, conditioning in wrestling is such a steal though,great sport.

Bekul said:
sparring with a guy twice your mass, who's also /faster/ than you, is a good way to get humble, bruised, and /good/, all at once.

I defintely know this feeling! It hurts but it's awesome :guts:

SaiyajinNoOuji

billdog said:
Ha, submissions are fun in pure grappling, in a real fight though I think accumulated damage due to strikes is much more effective before going for a sub. Wrestling complemented with BJJ is a nasty mix, they were meant to be crosstrained together. The top control, base, conditioning in wrestling is such a steal though,great sport.
I agree but once it gets into a real fight most of that stuff goes out the window and then its time for the cheap shots. To the throat, balls, under the nose, etc etc. :rakshas:

Then once they are messed up from that I can go ahead and do some spin drills on top and do a couple of gut wrenches! :ganishka:

SaiyajinNoOuji

Death May Die said:
5 years Professional Wrestling training.
I hear its pretty brutal at first.... im a masochist for harsh training. I guess its the macho man dumb gene or something. :ganishka:

Get any matches in as an indie? Any shoots? :carcus:

X

Xem

I started studying a wide array of martial arts when I was four years old until I was about 13. Jujitsu, Kempo, Ninjitsu, Kung-fu, Hapkido, Tae Kwon Do, and Kick Boxing to name a few.

Not much has stuck, sadly, but apparently since I trained at such a young age it has given me some pretty good reflexes. I do plan on returning to a dojo at some point in my life. Probably to kick boxing because it's a pretty intense work out. I can meditate on my own time.

I'm currently a green belt in Kung Fu San Soo and I'm planning on studying Brazilian Ju Jitsu once I get my black belt in San Soo. I've been studying San Soo for a couple years now and it's a lot of fun as well as a great work out. My only complaint is that San Soo focuses a lot more on stand-up techniques and teaches very few ground techniques, which is why I'm also highly interested in Brazilian Ju Jitsu.

I used to practice Krav Maga for 18 months, I think it's not a martial art but more of a self-defense technique.
After that I enrolled in a Ju Jitsu class but it didn't last more than 3 months. :puck:

Some very distinctive styles being mentioned, a lot I have never heard of!

Anyhow, I studied Judo for 5 years, Japanese Jujitsu, Kenpō and Ninjutsu for 3 years. The style of the ninja, very interesting, especially considering that sensei often brought in the real deal when it came to ninja weapons (shurikens). He even brought in a real samurai sword for us to practice with. Fun. I need to go back to it again.

Used to travel a lot with my groups and study other martial arts for a day.

I've been through Judo, Karate, Wing-Chun and Capoeira, ~1-2 Years each, until i settled for Wing-Chun 4 years ago.
I actually liked Capoeira very much, especially since our Mestre (spelling?) was a 5 times Brazilian Champion.
But then I began to study and had to move away...

SlimJ87D

Apollo
I was a very competitive ballerina. Trust me, those moves HUUURRRT.

Kickboxing, boxing and Muay Thai. Wrestled a year in high school :???:

Top Bottom