Author Topic: Anyone here practice any martial arts?  (Read 5101 times)

Offline billdog

Anyone here practice any martial arts?
« on: December 20, 2009, 05:53:09 AM »
4 months of judo training before switching over to brazilian jiu jitsu, haven't looked back since.
Anyone else into martial arts? Or just plain love to punk, kick, strangle people  :guts:  :guts:
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"civilize the mind, but make savage the body\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"

Offline TheBranded1

• The Terminator
  • Of the Vortex
  • I'll be back.
Re: Anyone here practice any martial arts?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 06:12:08 AM »
4 months of judo training before switching over to brazilian jiu jitsu, haven't looked back since.
Anyone else into martial arts? Or just plain love to punk, kick, strangle people  :guts:  :guts:

I was doing Hapkido, when working at the grocery store, since the owner is a Hapkido master. I haven't been able to visit him at his studio since I have been out of work.

Offline SaiyajinNoOuji

• Of the Abyss
  • I'm still better than you
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 07:39:54 AM »
15 year veteran wrestler here. It's not a martial arts per say but it does help.  :carcus:

I've wrestled around with a few BJJ guy's and I hate those arm bars! Then again that was when I was really young and not as experienced. Not very good at doing submission moves nor have I ever had the chance to do any ground and pound. Oh well though... maybe one of these days!  :ganishka:
"Plenty of time to sleep when you're dead!"

Offline Rhombaad

• Old Fart in Training
  • Falconian
  • Of the Abyss
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 08:48:50 AM »
I trained in Jungyae Moosul, a relatively new Korean martial art, for 7 1/2 years. I was one belt below black when I left.

Offline Aazealh

• 髑髏の騎士
  • Administrator
  • Of Terror
  • そうはいかぬ
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 10:25:02 AM »
Did something like 6 years of Judo when I was younger.

Offline Vampire_Hunter_Bob

• SK.net Sergeant at Arms
  • Of the Abyss
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 05:14:32 PM »
Did and learned Army Combatives, however that isn't a traditional martial arts.

Offline Aphasia

• Of the Nexus
  • ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2009, 09:34:46 PM »
However still really cool. : D

Not very good at doing submission moves nor have I ever had the chance to do any ground and pound. Oh well though... maybe one of these days!  :ganishka:
Have you seen this vid? Maybe you could pull one of these off someplace and get your name engraved in the internets.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4xpOsCcWIw

I did several years of Karate in middle school, but to tell the truth I wasn't all that into it.  

Offline SaiyajinNoOuji

• Of the Abyss
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2009, 11:59:38 PM »
This probably consisted of pulling out your stress card when the instructors started to yell at you!  :troll:     :ganishka:

I love you still Bob even if you did go Army.

Offline Vampire_Hunter_Bob

• SK.net Sergeant at Arms
  • Of the Abyss
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 12:06:38 AM »
This probably consisted of pulling out your stress card when the instructors started to yell at you!  :troll:     :ganishka:

No that was the sort of shit they let you pogs get away with, not us Infantry.  :casca:

Offline Manjou

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 12:24:10 AM »
I think it's something like 10 years of shotokan karate, I'm still not any good though. We sometimes incorporate aikido-eqsue Tai Sabaki but to be honest I'd love to just have a go at a completely different martial art, just to see if I could

I also did Judo for a little while, but I really sucked at that :ganishka:
Lost as in a dream I seek the shadow Of one who has Swirled away... Abandoning friends, Abandoning humanity.
What awaits us all Is the path to emptiness. Knowing my heart The flowers weep, And the wild birds cry.

Offline Bekul

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 12:33:28 AM »
Did a couple years of taekwando when I was I was about 9-13 (until the head instructor mysteriously disapeared and was found weeks later in the back of a truck of a car a thousand miles away, so that ended that). After that was a couple years of Jishin Ryu Jiu-Jitsu, them I moved away, then a couple years of full-contact Kung-fu, because I realized that my standup was really pretty poor.

Plus at the time I was roommates with a couple guys, one of whom was Dutch, over 300lbs, with 0% body-fat. Me, I'm 5'10", 150lbs - sparring with a guy twice your mass, who's also /faster/ than you, is a good way to get humble, bruised, and /good/, all at once.

Last couple years not really anything though, I'm probably out of shape.  :azan:

Offline Kaepernack

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 01:10:16 PM »
I've been training in Kuk-Sook-Won, a Korean self-defense martial art, for about 9 years :???:.  So far I've reached a 2nd degree black belt.  This year however, I've been taking the year off due to college. 

Offline billdog

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2009, 03:35:23 PM »
15 year veteran wrestler here. It's not a martial arts per say but it does help.  :carcus:

I've wrestled around with a few BJJ guy's and I hate those arm bars! Then again that was when I was really young and not as experienced. Not very good at doing submission moves nor have I ever had the chance to do any ground and pound. Oh well though... maybe one of these days!  :ganishka:

Ha, submissions are fun in pure grappling, in a real fight though I think accumulated damage due to strikes is much more effective before going for a sub. Wrestling complemented with BJJ is a nasty mix, they were meant to be crosstrained together. The top control, base, conditioning in wrestling is such a steal though,great sport.
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"civilize the mind, but make savage the body\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"

Offline Manjou

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2009, 05:43:37 PM »
sparring with a guy twice your mass, who's also /faster/ than you, is a good way to get humble, bruised, and /good/, all at once.

I defintely know this feeling! It hurts but it's awesome :guts:
Lost as in a dream I seek the shadow Of one who has Swirled away... Abandoning friends, Abandoning humanity.
What awaits us all Is the path to emptiness. Knowing my heart The flowers weep, And the wild birds cry.

Offline SaiyajinNoOuji

• Of the Abyss
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2009, 09:21:56 PM »
Ha, submissions are fun in pure grappling, in a real fight though I think accumulated damage due to strikes is much more effective before going for a sub. Wrestling complemented with BJJ is a nasty mix, they were meant to be crosstrained together. The top control, base, conditioning in wrestling is such a steal though,great sport.
I agree but once it gets into a real fight most of that stuff goes out the window and then its time for the cheap shots. To the throat, balls, under the nose, etc etc.  :rakshas:

Then once they are messed up from that I can go ahead and do some spin drills on top and do a couple of gut wrenches!  :ganishka:

Offline Death May Die

• Ask me about Avatar's sales!
  • Of the Nexus
  • "That day you left, that's when I knew."
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2009, 09:28:46 PM »
5 years Professional Wrestling training.

Offline SaiyajinNoOuji

• Of the Abyss
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2009, 09:55:16 PM »
5 years Professional Wrestling training.
I hear its pretty brutal at first.... im a masochist for harsh training. I guess its the macho man dumb gene or something.  :ganishka:

Get any matches in as an indie? Any shoots?  :carcus:

Xem

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2009, 08:51:35 AM »
I started studying a wide array of martial arts when I was four years old until I was about 13. Jujitsu, Kempo, Ninjitsu, Kung-fu, Hapkido, Tae Kwon Do, and Kick Boxing to name a few.

Not much has stuck, sadly, but apparently since I trained at such a young age it has given me some pretty good reflexes. I do plan on returning to a dojo at some point in my life. Probably to kick boxing because it's a pretty intense work out. I can meditate on my own time.

Offline JigokuShoujo

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2010, 04:56:59 PM »
I'm currently a green belt in Kung Fu San Soo and I'm planning on studying Brazilian Ju Jitsu once I get my black belt in San Soo. I've been studying San Soo for a couple years now and it's a lot of fun as well as a great work out. My only complaint is that San Soo focuses a lot more on stand-up techniques and teaches very few ground techniques, which is why I'm also highly interested in Brazilian Ju Jitsu.

Offline fuxberg

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2010, 11:50:18 AM »
I used to practice Krav Maga for 18 months, I think it's not a martial art but more of a self-defense technique.
After that I enrolled in a Ju Jitsu class but it didn't last more than 3 months.  :puck:

Offline Henry Spencer

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2010, 04:50:56 PM »
Some very distinctive styles being mentioned, a lot I have never heard of!

Anyhow, I studied Judo for 5 years, Japanese Jujitsu, Kenpō and Ninjutsu for 3 years. The style of the ninja, very interesting, especially considering that sensei often brought in the real deal when it came to ninja weapons (shurikens). He even brought in a real samurai sword for us to practice with. Fun. I need to go back to it again.

Used to travel a lot with my groups and study other martial arts for a day.

Offline Gaahl

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2010, 08:41:52 PM »
I've been through Judo, Karate, Wing-Chun and Capoeira, ~1-2 Years each, until i settled for Wing-Chun 4 years ago.
I actually liked Capoeira very much, especially since our Mestre (spelling?) was a 5 times Brazilian Champion.
But then I began to study and had to move away...

Offline SlimJ87D

• Of the Interstice
  • Apollo
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2010, 05:15:28 AM »
I was a very competitive ballerina. Trust me, those moves HUUURRRT.

Kickboxing, boxing and Muay Thai. Wrestled a year in high school  :???:
Memories are fragile things. After you reduce them to binary numbers and send them through the air, they're not memories anymore...
-Solid Snake-