Episode 310

Zerk said:
I think the implications of this episode is that guts has become either physically or spiritually (in reference to his effect on other worldly things) stronger. The guy wasn't focused and he was cutting through those tentacles without much effort. Maybe when he was healed by that wave of light his muscles, having endured many terrible injuries, have become stronger or when the worlds merge it gave him a spiritual boost.
Hm I'm not so sure yet unless I'm missing something. This creature Guts is fighting really seems more like a big bag of flesh. The creature is not really fighting, just kinda waving around waiting to be cut.

グリフィス said:
Interesting, though at this point I think Guts is just in decent health. We've seen him go through this cycle a few times with the armor now, where one moment he's seemingly invincible, and the next he's laid up for weeks, paying the price.
I'd agree but I hope by now and with the wave Guts is feeling closer than ever to how he felt before he first donned the armor. I don't follow the second sentence though. Guts gets laid up when he taps into the armor and gets banged around. I don't see a repeat of past cycles unless the next episode things get real rough, but this incident and with it involving the same Pirate Leader makes it seem more light hearted. If Guts feels bad after this episode than he's got a lot of healing left to do, but I can't wait for the fighting to be over so we can see how everything stands.

Riastrathe said:
I'd agree but I hope by now and with the wave Guts is feeling closer than ever to how he felt before he first donned the armor.

Now that I'm really thinking about it, it's funny to me that Guts hasn't been his old self since before the troll cave and before the astral wounds inflicted by Slan. I think we're all still wondering if the wave had any effect on those wounds closing up for good or not, in addition to the healing of all his burn scars.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Zerk said:
I think the implications of this episode is that guts has become either physically or spiritually (in reference to his effect on other worldly things) stronger. The guy wasn't focused and he was cutting through those tentacles without much effort. Maybe when he was healed by that wave of light his muscles, having endured many terrible injuries, have become stronger or when the worlds merge it gave him a spiritual boost.

I really don't think so. That enemy was just a random monstrous animal, not something that requires technique and finesse to beat. He went through it like he went through the trolls in volume 25. Like Griff said it just means he's in decent health.

Jaze1618 said:
I think we're all still wondering if the wave had any effect on those wounds closing up for good or not, in addition to the healing of all his burn scars.

No one should be wondering about that. The astral wave greatly accelerated the healing of his minor scars (you'll notice they still haven't completely healed yet), but his two astral wounds were logically unaffected (it's logical because they're astral wounds, and the astral wave's healing properties were only the result of the physical body synchronizing itself with the astral body).

Aazealh said:
I don't know why you guys bother posting explanations when it's clearly shown that Guts' astral wounds are still there in episode 305...

Episode305_Guts-wound.jpg

Aazealh said:
No one should be wondering about that. The astral wave greatly accelerated the healing of his minor scars (you'll notice they still haven't completely healed yet), but his two astral wounds were logically unaffected (it's logical because they're astral wounds, and the astral wave's healing properties were only the result of the physical body synchronizing itself with the astral body).

I see what you're saying. It looks a little strange to me that in that picture, his astral wounds appear to be made of the same material that is washing over the rest of his body. But they are near perfect shape, although on the far left it looks to me as if they are slightly elevated off of his chest.

Anyways I am not saying that I disagree with you. Thanks for sharing that image.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Jaze1618 said:
It looks a little strange to me that in that picture, his astral wounds appear to be made of the same material that is washing over the rest of his body.

You can only see one of the wounds in this picture. And it's astral in nature, just like what is washing over Guts in the picture, so I don't see what's strange about it.

X

Xem

A random thought just occurred to me. A few episodes ago we had a pretty nice internal monologue with Guts thinking about his missing arm, then in this episode he uses it (one again) in an extremely helpful and innovative way. It really has become "part of him" in some regards, hasn't it? I wonder if that crossed Guts' mind during this battle as well.

Anyway, I love how Miura somewhat subtly intertwined that together. So fuckin' cool.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Deci said:
A random thought just occurred to me. A few episodes ago we had a pretty nice internal monologue with Guts thinking about his missing arm, then in this episode he uses it (one again) in an extremely helpful and innovative way. It really has become "part of him" in some regards, hasn't it? I wonder if that crossed Guts' mind during this battle as well.
Why now, moreso than when he previously used this manuever? Anyway, if it went through his head, it wasn't highlighted in the episode so it's kind of irrelevant.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Deci said:
A few episodes ago

23 episodes ago.

Deci said:

Because he precisely reflected on the fact it was just a hunk of metal that he sticks on to crush his enemies. Using it as a cannon like he's done many times before definitely does not negate the realization that it can't replace his real forearm.

Saephon

Die young and save yourself
I don't want to stray too off-topic here, but you guys bring up a question that I'm not sure deserves its own thread: Do you think Guts would want his real arm back if he had the chance, given the advantages of his mechanical one? There have been many battles where a cannon-blast, punch to the face, or parry saved his life. It's obvious the tools he has at his disposal are second-nature to him when you see how quickly he thinks in a battle. I'd like to think that his senses of humanity would desire to have his complete old body again, but he'd be giving up some great assets by losing that fake arm.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Saephon said:
Do you think Guts would want his real arm back if he had the chance, given the advantages of his mechanical one?

Yes, I think so. If anything, episode 287 makes it abundantly clear in my opinion.

Saephon said:
Do you think Guts would want his real arm back if he had the chance, given the advantages of his mechanical one?

I speculate Guts would be even more dangerous with both arms intact, his swordmanship would be a lot faster and refined than what he can do with a mechanical arm. Theres no way of telling how the battles would have been like had he still his flesh arm. Anyways look at this http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=4404.0

asic said:
I speculate Guts would be even more dangerous with both arms intact, his swordmanship would be a lot faster and refined than what he can do with a mechanical arm. Theres no way of telling how the battles would have been like had he still his flesh arm. Anyways look at this http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=4404.0

That steel arm isn't only a trade mark of Guts, I think its saved his life more than you realize. Yes, it does have a cannon, and that has helped Guts a lot. But if I recall correctly, the arm has a mechanization or something that holds the dragon slayer discretely. I don't know if its magnetic or something but I have a feeling one big reason he doesn't drop that sword so often after being hit, or tossed by an opponent, probably has a lot to do with that fake arm. But maybe I am mistaking, maybe when Guts usually gets flung, he's clinching the dragon slayer with his good arm.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Death May Die said:
if I recall correctly, the arm has a mechanization or something that holds the dragon slayer discretely. I don't know if its magnetic or something but I have a feeling one big reason he doesn't drop that sword so often after being hit, or tossed by an opponent, probably has a lot to do with that fake arm. But maybe I am mistaking, maybe when Guts usually gets flung, he's clinching the dragon slayer with his good arm.

If you check this pic in Vol. 14 Rickert tells Guts it has a magnet to grip the sword, nothing else is said about that the hand was able to hold unto the sword. But there is a pic where the sword is being held when Guts is being tossed, by one of the pair of insects that Guts has to face after he kills the small fries. It's in Vol. 15 right after the praying mantis attacks him and the beetle charges. The next shot you see is guts flying in the air. It's just a couple of pages later, after Jill's parents are shown talking to Farnese. Sorry I didn't have time for the other pic, I"m taking off.

magnetb.jpg

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Death May Die said:
I have a feeling one big reason he doesn't drop that sword so often after being hit, or tossed by an opponent, probably has a lot to do with that fake arm. But maybe I am mistaking, maybe when Guts usually gets flung, he's clinching the dragon slayer with his good arm.

Yeah actually you are mistaken and most of the time he holds the DS with his good arm.

I don't believe any magnet in those days is powerful enough to hold something as heavy as the dragon slayer, i would imagine it's more for support.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Zerk said:
I don't believe any magnet in those days is powerful enough to hold something as heavy as the dragon slayer, i would imagine it's more for support.

It's just so the hand can clasp around the handle.

If think a real arm helping him swing that sword around would make up for the loss of the prosthetic arm and its cannon.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
mydummyfrom2001 said:
Kentarou Miura reported that his father had died in last year -- from author's comment in the year's first issue of Young Animal.

Damn, that's very sad. :sad: I think he was close to his father, too. Our thoughts are with him.

Thanks for reporting the news anyway (although, to be exact, he announced it in the current issue, #3).

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
mydummyfrom2001 said:
Kentarou Miura reported that his father had died in last year -- from author's comment in the year's first issue of Young Animal.
Thanks for the info. That's really too bad... Guy had a rough year. :sad:

Top Bottom