Cult of Berserk??

Cloud Strife

Ive got a big sword to damn it!
Today a good friend of mine and avid anime fan told me that he is leaving his "christian beliefes" behind. I said "why"? He told me that after reading as many of the Berserk mangas he could find that it opend his eyes to something so much more greater. I suppose the scene when Griffith meets "The Idea" had quite the impact on him considering he has been in the Catholic church his entire life. He now tells me that he believe that man invented god in search of "answers" for things they could not explain like pain, death, love ect. I was very shocked by what he told me. Dont think ive ever seen an anime have such an impact on a person. Cult of Berserk? Or just plain coo coo for co co puffs. You decide. :eek:

ShinHell9

I started on here when I was like 14...
Cloud Strife said:
Today a good friend of mine and avid anime fan told me that he is leaving his "christian beliefes" behind. I said "why"? He told me that after reading as many of the Berserk mangas he could find that it opend his eyes to something so much more greater. I suppose the scene when Griffith meets "The Idea" had quite the impact on him considering he has been in the Catholic church his entire life. He now tells me that he believe that man invented god in search of "answers" for things they could not explain like pain, death, love ect. I was very shocked by what he told me. Dont think ive ever seen an anime have such an impact on a person. Cult of Berserk? Or just plain coo coo for co co puffs. You decide. :eek:
I've thought about that before I've ever seen/read berserk...I'm not sure what to believe in but it does seem like people created god. I mean even if you dont agree with that it does seem like it.
I wouldn't say a cult of berserk because they're are alot of people who believe it witout watching berserk. religions were based on 2 things: 1. Making a better society & 2. to tell you where you go where you die.

kimchan

"Should I be overcome by the vapors?
Maybe he isn't necessarily starting a "cult of Berserk," but the whole concept of Idea got him thinking. Sometimes some of the weirdest things can influence us. 8)

All_4_Yume

Yume Chaser
Wow that's a crazy story but it really doesn't surprise me too much. If you look deep enough Berserk has some far out ideas that really make you think if you catch them. The one the that really fucked my world up was when Guts said something like, "If you worry about the bugs you crush when you walk you'll never take a step." This quote may not seem like much or may sound like jibber jabber but if you really analyse it the message is kind of startling. What I took from it that this world is limited and the simplest things can effect others. We can't live our lives the way we want to without inadvertently getting in someone elses way or maybe even destroying them. You might not mean it but it happens. In a way this almost justifies hurting others because you're probably doing anyway since we all can't have want we want. This also ties in well with dream themes of Berserk.

Or maybe I'm just crazy.

Cloud Strife

How come he doesnt post here?

Well ive just recenctly found this forum. Which by the way is one of the nicest coolest and most informative forums ive ever belonged to (and ive been in quite a few) Hardly no flaming to none and everyone seems to get along. Anyways, I told him about it and he said he will reg here soon.

::All_4_Yume:: Your absoluetly right. While im not going to go as far as my friend went. Berserk did teach me alot of things and showed me many more. But then again, isnt that what a compelling story is suppose to do?

ShinHell9

I started on here when I was like 14...
my biggest taboo is not to think too much about god, I got really concerned about the truth when I was in 5th grade. I thought about how man must've created god because they need a reason to live...Because of that i'm unsure of what to believe in.

Cloud Strife

God has always been such a sticky subject to many people. Funny how Berserk looks that subject right in the eeyeee. Then again, jap anime tends to do things of that nature from time to time. Guess thats why we all love it so :)

D

Drachenfels

His belief must have been pretty weak if he abandons it because of a Manga.
Or maybe he had some nasty encounters with catholic priest. Hope his chocolate factory didn't suffer too much from it. 8)

Cloud Strife

Or maybe he had some nasty encounters with catholic priest. Hope his chocolate factory didn't suffer too much from it.

Ok A. he is 22, I dont think the priests go that old.B, True it probably was pritty weak. But ya gotta admit. Its a strroonngg manga ::)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah and Da Holy Bible is a strong book hehe, the Coran must be too judging by what it's worshippers are doing...

Besides, humans created god(s) b/c they were afraid of the unknown, the only difference between Berserk and the real world is that god(s) stayed in their minds... They didn't become alive to control our fates.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Cloud Strife said:
Or maybe he had some nasty encounters with catholic priest. Hope his chocolate factory didn't suffer too much from it.

Ok A. he is 22, I dont think the priests go that old.

Actully from what i heard they ass raped a guy in his 30. ::)
Maybe your friend was lucky and just had weak beliefs and "WASN'T" ass raped by his priest.

- Bob

D

Drachenfels

Aazealh said:
Yeah and Da Holy Bible is a strong book hehe, the Coran must be too judging by what it's worshippers are doing...

Besides, humans created god(s) b/c they were afraid of the unknown, the only difference between Berserk and the real world is that god(s) stayed in their minds... They didn't become alive to control our fates.

No dude, god created the universe.

Cloud Strife

Dont you people think that everything fits a little to well for there not to be some type of design behind it? Seriously, take a look around you.

Nabeshin

Herald of God Hand
Well, if Berserk led him to re-evaluate his beliefs, I can respect it. Back in the 60s, loads of flower children were leaving their traditional Christian trappings behind and getting into communal free love because of Stranger in a Strange Land, and Berserk is at least as good, if not better than that book. I think Berserk ranks as one of the best visual stories ever told, and it's led me to a lot of contemplation, though not on that kind of a level. Who knows what kind of impact it may have had on me if I'd read it when I was younger -- provided my folks wouldn't have noticed Volume 13 and had a heart attack while flipping through it.

And to Cloud, sometimes events definitely seem to have an overriding order behind them, but it's the nature of humans to want to find order in all things, so I think it's probably just people's perceptions that lead them to think that way.

D

Drachenfels

Aazealh said:
Not at all dude, I really didn't mean to offend you regarding your faith. :)

It's your choice to believe what you want, but just don't express it in a arrogant way.

Lliugusamui

around the corner
Drachenfels said:
Aazealh said:
Not at all dude, I really didn't mean to offend you regarding your faith. :)

It's your choice to believe what you want, but just don't express it in a arrogant way.
It's a matter of fact : nowadays ( and probably before too ) priests use their faith power over lil children. Anyway they're a living proof that some God is needed to stronger weak humans ( the more you are in in christian society, the more you need God ^^ ). Obviously, it doesn't fit with every one. And christianity hasn't only bad points :-\

Cloud Strife

Sorry guys I dont meen to start a flame war but the catholic church as a hole is composed of pure sh**. We have records of preists hiding the truth dating back further than there even was a roman catholic church. Tell me your shinto tell me your Jehovahs Wittness but for cryin out loud. Dont tell me your Roman Catholic (yeah those there the guys that hid the bible from comminers).

G

Griffith lover

Cloud Strife said:
Sorry guys I dont meen to start a flame war but the catholic church as a hole is composed of pure sh**. We have records of preists hiding the truth dating back further than there even was a roman catholic church. Tell me your shinto tell me your Jehovahs Wittness but for cryin out loud. Dont tell me your Roman Catholic (yeah those there the guys that hid the bible from comminers).

:eek: Maybe the Roman Catholics are fanatics in non-catholic countries, but if you were here, for example in Colombia... people are rather indifferent. Since this is the religion of a majority... it is unnoticed and most people are "believers who do not practice". Here, the protestants are the fanatics. I do not know why, but the religion of the minorities is the one led to fanatism by its members. :-X
Besides, the Catholics are not the only ones who have been risponsible for barbaric acts of religious violence. Just look at what muslims do to their women in Africa: they mutilate them! And how do you think they were able to establish their religion in Sub-Saharian Africa? It was not with flowers... Maybe Catholics have been unfortunate enough to be the most famous... But they are not the only ones...

Top Bottom